Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

TaylorMade Sold? - That's the Rumor!

Saw this on both Facebook and Twitter this morning, courtesy of that Muckraker of a golf journalist, GalfSpy T....

Could it be? Can it be? What in the name of the Pittsburgh Persimmon does it all mean?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Hasn't the adidas group been looking for buyers for a long time? Openly blaming TM and the golf division for their poor results said it all. If something happens, it's probably quick and painless for everyone.

Hasn't the adidas group been looking for buyers for a long time? Openly blaming TM and the golf division for their poor results said it all. If something happens, it's probably quick and painless for everyone.

Only bad news would be if it's bought by that nameless "Investment Group."  Those are the guys that killed MacGregor, the original Hogan and others...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

True. And not unlikely. 

Alternatives;

UA?

Investment group?

Big Asian company that makes tires or sports apparel?

Or maybe Parsons buys them because he wants to use the speed pocket :)

It'll be interesting to see if/how/when they change their strategy without adidas behind them. UA is an interesting idea - and it would make a crap-ton of sense.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It would be absolutely dumbfounded if TM was bought buy Under Armour. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Agreed. Not only do UA not have enough collateral to buy TMag in the first place, but even if they did, buying a company in the middle of a global sales decline would be suicide.

Yes. You should never buy in times like these. Always buy on top. Companies who want to buy TM should wait till golf is more popular and sales are up. 

Unless it's a bargain -- always buy a bargain.   :lol:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It would be absolutely dumbfounded if TM was bought buy Under Armour. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

It made some sense to me a couple a years ago before speith exploded onto the scene.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It made some sense to me a couple a years ago before speith exploded onto the scene.

It still makes sense, but not the way people presume. UnderArmour is a fascinating brand in a lot of ways. People forget that UA themselves basically came from out of nowhere to a point where they are beating Nike at it's own game in several markets. You know, the same Nike that is quietly becoming a powerhouse in golf. One that has surpassed some pretty stout names in golf.

To a certain degree, UA could buy TM for the sole purpose of completing a portfolio to go head to head against Nike, but I don't think that would be the purpose.

At the end of the day, UA is a marketing powerhouse wrapped around performance sports equipment manufacturer. TM is a good fit in terms of personality and identity, and it creates some opportunities that UA has struggled with.

Yeah, Speith is an UA guy, but they've struggled to make real inroads in the golf apparel market, and it's not because the product isn't there.

but here is the thing, that to me, makes this intriguing.  UA is *also* a technology company. They not only want to sell you the equipment, they want you tracking the activities and metrics and uploading them to their platforms. Lest you forget UA is also, MapMyFitness(Run/Bike/Walk/etc), EndoMondo, and MyFitnessPal. UA has deals in place for hardware (scales, fitness trackers, etc). They are quietly building a patent portfolio for a broad spectrum of wearables (Heart Rate Monitors in hats, bras, etc.  strain gauges in shirts and shorts).

Let's face it, over the last 5 years, they have not been shy about spending to get what they want, but have rarely 'overspent'. 

So, no, UA wouldn't stun me, I can see a lot of potential in that deal, but at the same time, I think there is another suitor out there, that just might be even more interesting, and I think if that deal happens, there will be some consternation out there. Short version, I think it is an investor group. 

Theoo and I have had this conversation a couple of times over the last couple of years, and I've never wavered on it. At some point, UA *is* going to get serious about the golf equipment business (not just OEMing other peoples equipment). The questions are, when, and will they do it under their own branding.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

It still makes sense, but not the way people presume. UnderArmour is a fascinating brand in a lot of ways. People forget that UA themselves basically came from out of nowhere to a point where they are beating Nike at it's own game in several markets. You know, the same Nike that is quietly becoming a powerhouse in golf. One that has surpassed some pretty stout names in golf.

To a certain degree, UA could buy TM for the sole purpose of completing a portfolio to go head to head against Nike, but I don't think that would be the purpose.

At the end of the day, UA is a marketing powerhouse wrapped around performance sports equipment manufacturer. TM is a good fit in terms of personality and identity, and it creates some opportunities that UA has struggled with.

Yeah, Speith is an UA guy, but they've struggled to make real inroads in the golf apparel market, and it's not because the product isn't there.

but here is the thing, that to me, makes this intriguing. UA is *also* a technology company. They not only want to sell you the equipment, they want you tracking the activities and metrics and uploading them to their platforms. Lest you forget UA is also, MapMyFitness(Run/Bike/Walk/etc), EndoMondo, and MyFitnessPal. UA has deals in place for hardware (scales, fitness trackers, etc). They are quietly building a patent portfolio for a broad spectrum of wearables (Heart Rate Monitors in hats, bras, etc. strain gauges in shirts and shorts).

Let's face it, over the last 5 years, they have not been shy about spending to get what they want, but have rarely 'overspent'.

So, no, UA wouldn't stun me, I can see a lot of potential in that deal, but at the same time, I think there is another suitor out there, that just might be even more interesting, and I think if that deal happens, there will be some consternation out there. Short version, I think it is an investor group.

Theoo and I have had this conversation a couple of times over the last couple of years, and I've never wavered on it. At some point, UA *is* going to get serious about the golf equipment business (not just OEMing other peoples equipment). The questions are, when, and will they do it under their own branding.

I agree with all of that.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

People forget that UA themselves basically came from out of nowhere to a point where they are beating Nike at it's own game in several markets. You know, the same Nike that is quietly becoming a powerhouse in golf. One that has surpassed some pretty stout names.

Is this your opinion or is UA actually surpassing Nike in several markets? That would be very interesting to me.

Nike becoming a powerhouse in golf is definitely your opinion and one that is not shared by many at all. I find the exact opposite happening. In my experience, and from what I've seen, Nike is struggling in the hard goods arena in golf. They always have, even with golf's GOAT and the most marketable athlete of all time, too. Golf hard goods are a tough nut. In 15 years, Nike has continually failed in my eyes. Sure, they have a tour presence, but the ratio from TM-Nike or Callawa-Nike sales has to be almost laughable.

Maybe that is why PowerBilt & Air Force One parted ways, so Hillerich & Bradsby could buy Taylormade......LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Maybe that is why PowerBilt & Air Force One parted ways, so Hillerich & Bradsby could buy Taylormade......LOL

Well, they don't have that Louisville Slugger brand dragging them down anymore

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have a couple of TM clubs in my bag at the moment and my wife's bag is all TM except for the putter.  However, I passed on buying TaylorMade because the timing isn't right.   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived