Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Ben Hogan Hybrids

chemclub

Posted this already in the PTx iron forum but thought I would start a new thread for the hybrids (I don't know if this is good forum etiquette). I am in the market for a new one and the offerings from Hogan look really interesting. Love the design.

http://www.benhogangolf.com/hybrid

hogan-hybrid.jpg

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

That's a sweet looking hybrid. I like the weight adjustability. Looks very Adams-ish, I read somewhere in MGS that some Adams people went to Hogan. I'd definitely give it a go, only issue is actually testing it on grass, not sure where retailers/fitters are.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

The idea pro that looks like this new one from BH is quite possibly one of the best hybrids ever made IMO. It looks like they've done a great job at updating and improving upon that head. Should perform extremely well!

I loved that hybrid only got rid of it because the shaft became too stiff for me. In fact my kid has the 20 in his bag still and kills it. This hybrid just made my list of must try clubs and its a short list.

Thanks for the thread chemclub!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Has anyone found any info on price. The website talks about a new HybridFit web app but it doesn't look like it is up yet either.

I wonder if BH has plans to launch a line of driver/fairway woods? Terry Koehler is a wedge guy so it seems natural natural for them to sit in the "iron" space. I also feel like there are so many driver companies out there do we really need another 'me too'

Posted over on the blog some of the basics on the VKTR, including where the heck the name came from, and the designer who already has some pretty legendary hybrid designs in his resume...

Click here to check it out.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The first hybrids that I remember seeing came out right around the turn of the millennium. These were the TaylorMade Firesole Burner Rescue clubs. They were made of titanium rather than steel, painted an orange copper color, and came in four lofts--15, 18, 21, and 24º. I remember hitting some cage shots with them in a shop at Caesars Palace. There was no monitor, so I had no idea what I was hitting.

Now it's hard to find someone who doesn't play hybrids, but for the most part, they're described as long iron replacements. People often start their iron sets with a strong five iron now, equivalent to a vintage 3-iron. In other words, the 5-iron is now a long iron, and it's often still not replaced.

I guess that I never really got the long-iron replacement concept because I've regularly bagged fairway woods of 20º loft and more, all the way, at one point, to a 29º Stan Thompson Ginty. Even now in the metal-wood era, I've got a 25º Spalding Top Flite Intimidator 400 7-wood that's perfectly playable, even with its weird .400 tip Fenwick shaft.

So now the thing is this: I can understand how hybrids are easier to hit than 1, 2, 3, 4, and maybe even the new strong-lofted 5-irons. Strong-lofted irons require lots of brute force to go along with the square hit in order to yield good carry. Slower swing speed players are going to have better luck with the hybrids.

But why are hybrids easier to hit than high loft fairway woods? They still have the bulge and roll so you can't pick with them--you've got to sweep them like woods. They don't launch the ball out of thick rough as well as the keel- or rail-soled metal wood. I guess that I never needed hybrids because I was already playing 5- and 7-woods. I prefer the "driving-iron" type utility. They're sole and perimeter weighted, very forgiving, they have no bulge and roll, and they're just very comfortable to hit on scary driving holes.

This being the case, as much as I laud the new Hogan Company, these new hybrids don't excite me too much.

I am intrigued......just need to see what custom shafts you can get since 85g is a bit light for my taste.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

The first hybrids that I remember seeing came out right around the turn of the millennium. These were the TaylorMade Firesole Burner Rescue clubs. They were made of titanium rather than steel, painted an orange copper color, and came in four lofts--15, 18, 21, and 24º. I remember hitting some cage shots with them in a shop at Caesars Palace. There was no monitor, so I had no idea what I was hitting.

Now it's hard to find someone who doesn't play hybrids, but for the most part, they're described as long iron replacements. People often start their iron sets with a strong five iron now, equivalent to a vintage 3-iron. In other words, the 5-iron is now a long iron, and it's often still not replaced.

I guess that I never really got the long-iron replacement concept because I've regularly bagged fairway woods of 20º loft and more, all the way, at one point, to a 29º Stan Thompson Ginty. Even now in the metal-wood era, I've got a 25º Spalding Top Flite Intimidator 400 7-wood that's perfectly playable, even with its weird .400 tip Fenwick shaft.

So now the thing is this: I can understand how hybrids are easier to hit than 1, 2, 3, 4, and maybe even the new strong-lofted 5-irons. Strong-lofted irons require lots of brute force to go along with the square hit in order to yield good carry. Slower swing speed players are going to have better luck with the hybrids.

But why are hybrids easier to hit than high loft fairway woods? They still have the bulge and roll so you can't pick with them--you've got to sweep them like woods. They don't launch the ball out of thick rough as well as the keel- or rail-soled metal wood. I guess that I never needed hybrids because I was already playing 5- and 7-woods. I prefer the "driving-iron" type utility. They're sole and perimeter weighted, very forgiving, they have no bulge and roll, and they're just very comfortable to hit on scary driving holes.

This being the case, as much as I laud the new Hogan Company, these new hybrids don't excite me too much.

Given my experience with fairway woods (my best clubs), hybrids (meh) and 4 or 5 irons (usually very good for me), I have the same questions, especially since I can't hit a hybrid consistently out of the rough and not nearly as well as a five or six iron out of the rough.  If I didn't have a Packer head cover for my hybrid, it would probably be out of my bag.

Oops, just realized this was a Hogan new product thread-we should take  our hybrid blasphemies to another thread.  We bad.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

My love of hybrids started 5 years ago when I replaced all of my woods. I picked up a TM R11 18* Rescue and absolutely crushed it, still do. I only picked up the matching 21* last year for $30 so I could replace my 3-iron which I could never really hit. Hybrids, like fairway metals just have the lower center of gravity to help get the ball in the air (my issue with my 3i). I still do pretty well with my 4i but still might consider dropping it for a hybrid. So for me at least it is just a style thing. I could probably play fairway woods just the same, but I played for so long with a Titleist PT 980F 15* that I could hit a mile ( (just not very ofte, small face)

My guess for why hybrids over higher lofter fairways… Ladies hit 7-woods brah. A pretty silly macho idea that real men hit long irons. I would rather hit the green than slap shot a 2-iron with a low slice. The hybrid is simply not a wood in many peoples eyes so they stay manly I guess. Any other ideas.

Posted over on the blog some of the basics on the VKTR, including where the heck the name came from, and the designer who already has some pretty legendary hybrid designs in his resume...

Click here to check it out.

love it

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I really like it. One of my favorite hybrids is the Hogan CFT. As I look at these I see a bunch of Adams and a Bunch of Original Hogan influence. The weighyt system on the out side is interesting and its good to see another (taylormade used to do this) company put the weights on the back like the driver. This could also help people who say Hybrids are hook machines for them.

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Nifty and Jax its a matter of what fits the eye. Also I know that Nifty isn't a fan of strong lofts. To be fair newer irons need stronger lofts because of the way they are weighted. You'd balloon the ball with the old weaker lofts.

Personally I like having at least one hybrid and one fairway wood in my bag, at least one, I actually have two of each right now but five iron is making a strong case to return. The Adams Idea pro was my favorite hybrid ever and this hybrid looks like a remake of it.

If we all thought the same clubs were appealing then what would be the sense of this web site? :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm in love.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I've never been a fan of hogan clubs (preferring mizuno) even though they were top notch quality when forged in Texas.

However, these hybrids as others have stated, follow the Adams designers are beautiful!!

Best part is you can pick the exact loft! I have all the previous generation Adams hybrids in 3,4&5h (idea pro, 9031, super pro tour issue, idea pro 9031 tour issue, xtd, ). My only minute complaint was that I couldn't get a 22* 4h ( only idea pro did I even find one on eBay ) so I extend my 23* slightly to kinda match a 22*

And I've never been a fan of the current Taylor hybrids with adjustability (imho current TM engineering after using all of the Adams left over intellectual property)

I may get a couple off these - the updated idea pro original! :D

1W: Cobra L4V X - Mitsubishi Javelin FX red or

Ping G30 - Mitsubishi Whiteboard 63

3W: Ping G20 16* - UST AXIV tour black 79

3-5H: Adams Idea Pro 9031 (tour issue) 20*, 23*, 26* - UST AXIV tour blue 83

6-PW: Mizuno MP-53 - DG XP 105 

GW: Nike VR 52* - DG 

SW-LW: Callaway MD 56*/14 S; MD 60*/8 C grind

Putter: Odyssey Versa #7 31 inch 

Ball: Pro V1

Archived