TESTERS WANTED! ×

Official FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - Wilson DUO Urethane

GolfSpy Barbajo

Wilson Duo Urethane - bnr.jpg

Official MyGolfSpy Wilson DUO Urethane
Forum Member Review

​How does Wilson Staff's New 55-compression Urethane covered ball perform?

Wilson Staff has a legitimate claim to being the leaders in the new "soft" ball revolution. The company introduced the Staff Titanium back in 1997, an 80 compression ball at a time when most premium balls were in the 90 to 110 range.  The Elite 50, The DUO and last year's DUO Spin continued the trend.  

Other companies are jumping on the soft bandwagon, so right now the consumer has a wide range of choices when it comes to low compression balls.  Earlier this month Wilson introduced its first Urethane covered low compression ball, the DUO Urethane.  Three luck MyGolfSpyers are getting outfitted with 3 dozen of the new DUO's to try out, including a dozen with the official logo of Super Bowl 50 (Wilson, of course, is the official football of the NFL). They're primed and ready to share their thoughts not only here but on social media.  Our test crew includes:

Golfzilla2069                                     1st Impressions                      Review

EthanSterlingPrice                           1st Impressions                      Review

sp0rtsfan86                                       1st Impressions                      Review

We've had some discussion on this ball before, so let's keep it going here.  Any questions you have for the boys, let 'em fly!!

For more info on the Wilson DUO Urethane, click here.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wilson Staff Duo Urethane First impression.

I just received a box of Super Bowl 50 logo Wilson Staff Duo Urethane balls in the mail and I am thrilled.  Handsomely packaged in a gold and black box with silver trim and the Wilson Staff logo prominently displayed on the front, these beauties the hold the promise of longer distance with tour caliber feel!  Even my wife, who is instantly attracted to shiny objects much like a crow, immediately wanted to grab the box.  The wonders continued as I opened the box.  There, proudly logoed with Super Bowl 50 and the Lombardi trophy, were a dozen of the "world's softest urethane balls".  The big question is, how will they perform?  As a 6.7 handicapper, I afford myself the luxury of playing a better ball, usually the Pro V1 or the TaylorMade Tour Preferred but like a lot of people, I will play whatever is on sale or, on occasion, a found ball.  I have always equated a low compression ball with a slow swinger of the ball and with a 95 mph driver swing speed, I honestly don't know if it is optimal for my game.  I can't wait to put them in play and find out.  I did putt with them on the carpet and have to say that they definitely have a softer feel to them coming off of the putter face.  Where as my usual ball will sometimes jump off the face, the Wilson Duo urethane consistently felt like it began rolling immediately.  

Full review to follow once I log a round or two in with them.

IMG_1865 (1).jpg

IMG_1867 (1).jpg

IMG_1866 (1).jpg

IMG_1875 (1).jpg

IMG_1874 (1).jpg

IMG_1873 (1).jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

Wilson Duo Urethane Full Review

IMG_1896 (1).jpg

Despite the fact that my home state of Minnesota is still blanketed in a coat of white, I was able to review the new Wilson Duo U by escaping to Florida to attend the 2016 PGA Merchandise show and squeeze in 5 rounds at Mission Inn Resort and Club.  Several days of rain in the area had softened the course up considerably.  Coupled with offseason form, I went into the review process knowing that my distances may be a little shorter than usual.  For comparison, 3 rounds were played exclusively with the Duo U, one round with the ProV 1, and one round was split 9 holes with each ball

Sweet Spot Sensation

IMG_1933 (1).jpg

Having never played a ball with this low of compression before, I was pleasantly surprised with sweet spot crushing sensation as I teed off.  Even when hitting a ball low on the driver face, I was still rewarding with buttery feel.  Overall distance was good but certainly not as long as the sweet spot feel might have lead you to believe.  In the back of my mind, I was hoping to arrive at my drive and marvel at how much further I hit it than normal.  Alas, it never happened.  My ball flight appeared to be a bit lower off of the tee with this ball.  Along with the soft conditions, it may have even hurt my distance.

Iron Consistency

IMG_1910 (1).jpg

The Wilson Duo Urethane is, if anything, a very consistent golf ball.  However, for me, it was consistently shorter.  As a player who hits his irons a reliable distance, I was frustrated to come up a half club short to every green.  The difference seemed more noticeable with the higher lofted clubs.  Initially I contributed this to offseason form or slight mishits, but the ProV 1 round proved otherwise.  It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I would certainly keep this in consideration for further rounds if it becomes the ball of choice for me.  

Short Game Spin and Feel

IMG_1914 (1).jpg

Make no bones about it, this ball can spin and stop if you want it too.  With receptive greens, I was able to stop the ball on a dime and on one occasion, backed one up about 15 feet.  As I initially was coming up short of  the green, I was presented with many opportunities green side.  Magnificently soft, this ball seemed impossible to blade a chip, and gave me the confidence to be aggressive.  Bump and run shots come off of the club face without the fear of jumping and I was able to put ample spin on the ball coming out of the bunkers.  Every bit the equal to the ProV around the green for me.  

Putting -Don't be shy

The soft feel of this ball does not stop when you pick up the putter.  While giving great feel, I came up short on a few putts that I thought had enough to get there.  On the slower greens, it felt like you had to whack it to get it there.  However on the greasy fast down hill putts, I no longer felt like I had the hands of a blacksmith.  Duo U along with some arrows provides the requisite alignment tool as well.

Durability and Workability

On several occasions, the ball that teed off on 1 made it to the clubhouse for drinks.  Remarkably for a ball that feels this soft, there was less wear on this ball than usual.  Despite sand shots, hits from the rough,and some pretty aggressive wedges into the green, there were no obvious cuts or scuffs on the ball.  As far as being able to work this ball, I had no problem moving it left and right.  I would have liked to seen a little higher ball flight though.

Worth Going After

IMG_1924 (1).jpg

The Wilson Duo Urethane is definitely a ball worth checking out.  If you have been playing a hard ball and are tired of having mishits rattle your shaft, this is the ball for you.   While I can't say it was longer than my usual ball, it was a lot of fun to play.  The sweet spot sensation is what we all play for and is often hard to come by.  This ball provides that as well as consistent yardages.  Be aggressive on and around the greens with this ball and you will be rewarded. 

A big thanks to Wilson Staff and Mygolfspy for putting these golf balls in my hands for the trip.  Now bring on Super Bowl 50!

IMG_1930 (2).jpg

What's in my bag...

First of all, thank you Wilson Golf and MyGolfSpy for the opportunity to be a part of another great product test.  I recently received a package from Wilson Golf containing Wilson Staff's new Duo Urethane golf ball.  

Image 1-21-16 at 11.38 PM.jpg

While I don't normally pay much attention to how a ball is packaged, I have to say I'm impressed with the job Wilson has done here.  The gold and black color scheme with reflective silver trim gives it a really classy look without being gaudy. 

The back of the box has your typical information on what the have done with the ball, what it does and why it works. Nothing out of the ordinary there. It does, however, have an interesting little footnote on the bottom portion of the panel that talks about the company's history in producing the lowest compression balls in the market.  While this wouldn't influence my chances of purchasing this product I do think it's a clever bit of marketing and like the attention to detail.

Image 1-21-16 at 11.38 PM (3).jpg

Wilson sent us 3 dozen balls, 2 dozen standard off the shelf balls and one dozen special edition super bowl 50 logo balls.

Image 1-21-16 at 11.38 PM (1).jpg

Image 1-21-16 at 11.38 PM (2).jpg

Image 1-21-16 at 11.38 PM (4).jpg

For this iteration of the Duo, Wilson decided to veer away from the "PanHead Dimple" technology they've used in the Fifty, Zip and older Duo models and switched back to the normal dimple pattern, I liked the look of the old dimples over these, but if it means better performance then I'm all for it. The balls had no blemishes in the paint or cover, something I look for due to past experience in the market, which I pray never happens to anyone. Overall just a really nice crisp looking ball.

I'm coming into this review with a few preconceptions on Wilson Staff.  One of my first sets of good golf clubs was a full set of Fat Shaft 2 irons which I still have to this day and play with on occasion.  When I see the Staff logo I think of a company with long standing tradition for producing high quality equipment, so I have high expectations for this ball, time and testing will tell if it lives up to it's legacy.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

IMG_1444.jpeg

Thanks to Mygolfspy and Wilson Staff for the opportunity to test this product.

The Wilson Staff Duo Urethane

The Wilson Staff Duo Urethane is the next step in the company's long line of low compression golf balls. 

Testing took place at White Bluff Resort Golf Course under various conditions including calm and windy weather and temperatures between 50 and 75 degrees F.

The Claim:

Wilson Staff advertises this 3 piece ball as "the world's softest urethane ball".  It sports a low 55 compression core for soft feel, a firm mantel layer for high velocity translating to more distance, and a very thin seamless cast urethane cover for tour level spin.

The Review

My focus will be on your typical criteria when searching for a ball to play:

Distance

Spin

Feel

Price

Distance:

IMG_1431.jpeg

I have to admit going into this portion of the review I anticipated a loss in distance due to the ball being a softer high spin model, but I was quickly proven wrong. With the driver the ball seemed to carry slightly farther than with my current gamer due to a slightly higher trajectory.  Iron distances were on par with my usual numbers, perhaps a few yards short but not enough to have to compensate.  The wedge shots performed about like I'm use to with my normal game ball, perhaps a slightly higher apex in trajectory, but once again not enough to influence the overall outcome.  Overall I give the Duo high marks in this category, while there may be longer balls on the market they don't normally have the feel or spin that this model has for it's price.

Total Score:  8.5 of 10

Spin:

IMG_1436.jpeg

Probably one of the highest spinning balls I've played in a long time, almost too much.  I actually had a hard time getting the ball to release on running shots unless they were downhill or I took an extra club more than normal.  Shots from the rough and sand produced above average spin when struck well with any club.  Short game shots were extremely responsive but once again I had some issues with getting the ball to release on running shots, however, so long as you play for this it shouldn't be an issue.  One drawback to this high spin cover is it wasn't as durable as other models i've used.  I had the cover peel a bit on more than one occasion when I really trapped the ball and even on a few green side bunker shots.  Take note that this ball is definitely designed with a focus on spin so if you struggle with over spinning then you may have issues with this model but otherwise I could see many kinds of  players benefiting from the extra stopping power provided.

Total Score:  10 of 10

Feel:

IMG_1437.jpeg

This is another category Wilson Staff put a lot of focus into when they developed this ball.  It felt extremely explosive off the face on full swings, something I contribute to the low compression core.  Muted sound at impact was pleasant to hear compared to some of the more click sounding balls in its price range.  Overall a very good model if you like softer feels and muted sound.

Total Score:  9 of 10

Price:

Image 1-21-16 at 11.38 PM (1).jpg

At $37.99, it's certainly worth a try fro pro-v1 level spin.

Total Score:  8 of 10

Final Thoughts:

I'm impressed with the job Wilson Staff has done with this ball.  It has a great mix of spin and distance and at $37.99 a dozen it's definitely worth a try!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

After a few weeks off - cold weather/ sickness/ car trouble... I finally got a lot of time with the ball.

Off the tee it's great. I noticed no real difference in spin or distance. Poorly struck shots don't seem to have excess amounts of spin... maybe a bit more than the Pro v1x... but I'm not sure how much the wind had an effect on the ball or was caused due to my swing changing so much shot to shot. Either way, I didn't notice much of a difference.

Irons were a thing of beauty. The one that made me laugh was a 9 iron that one hit and stopped about 7 yards from the pin after one bounce. Other wedges one hopped from over 100 feet. Even on shots that required a hook swing due to the lie were relatively quick to stop. I'd say this falls inbetween the FG Tour which I had trouble spinning and the ProV1x. I'd lean more towards V1x.

Wedges especially chip shots were a bit uneven. I felt as if I couldn't quite get a ton of spin on the best  hits, but was also trying different shots.

All in all it's a solid solid ball. I'm seriously thinking of making the switch.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Hello again... I'm back for another Wilson test. The last time I tested a Wilson it was an FG Tour... a nice ball but it didn't replace my Pro v1x in my bag. However, I did hit an ace with it so it does hold a special place in my heart.

But that's not what I'm hear for let's talk about the Duo Uethane. It's an intriguing ball, the "softest Urethane on the market", according to the box. My big concern is again what happened with the FG Tour. It gave me an extra 5-10 yards off the tee, but it also could not hold the green as well from 100 and in. That to me was a deal breaker.

The box itself I can take or leave. I'm not a huge fan of the coloring... made me think of the color of vomit which is never good.

14447eb.jpg
ify5w4.jpg

However, the balls themselves are classy. The Wilson Staff logo is pretty prominent.

2ypc1eu.jpg

On the plus side, I love the Super Bowl logos on the balls, but that's a special case and just a cool treat for us testers. The alignment marks are pretty standard, although a bit wider and bulkier than that of the Titelist.

But let's get down to it shall we? how does it game. I spent a good half hour hitting putts and then hitting pitches and chips with the Duo and the ProV1x. Overall I came away impressed.

2nav80j.jpg

Putting: The Duo is of course much softer. It feels like you are hitting into the core of the ball and moving the ball only after you get past the cover. The Titelist is a much more click like experience. Both feel soft, but the Duo is much, much softer. It does feel a bit like the Duo may require a bit more of a hard swing to get the ball going, but I haven't been able to fully pin that down. Perhaps a bit of bias, but with further testing I can find out for sure if the Duo requires a heavier stroke.

nwbwv6.jpg

After putting it was time for the wedge.
2mc8sr4.jpg
This is exactly what split the FG Tour and Pro v1x for me. The FG Tour didn't spin as well from

So far it's encouraging but of course much more testing will be done!

21ah8oz.jpg

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

I hope you guys enjoy this ball as much as I have! I was not a big believer when I received some two balls packs but they flat out perform on the course. Best of luck in testing!

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

I'll be interested to see what you have to say Ethan. I looked for some the other day and didn't find them available. Yet. At least you'll be able to get out and play them. I'm afraid Golfzilla will have to wait till July seeing how he lives in Minnesota. I crowed about a year or two ago about the Wilson FG Tour. Really a nice ball. And at the time they were cheap. Now they're priced in the PV range. Ethan I'd guess you're playing today. The weather is nice in Texas this weekend.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Wilson does have an interesting train for the DUO Urethane on their website. They're sending a trial 2-pack out with each order. They want you to try the 2-pack first. Of you don't like them, you can send the dozen back for a refund.

Guess that's putting your balls on the line, so to speak.

Sent from my LG-H443 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wilson does have an interesting train for the DUO Urethane on their website. They're sending a trial 2-pack out with each order. They want you to try the 2-pack first. Of you don't like them, you can send the dozen back for a refund.

Guess that's putting your balls on the line, so to speak.

Sent from my LG-H443 using Tapatalk

I'll say. I'm going to look around the pro shop today when I get there and see if they might have some trial paks. However and sadly... nobody around here carries Wilson except Academy and Wal-Mart. A few local golf stores - pro shops have told me Wilson doesn't sell in our area. It's a tough situation I think for Wilson. The golf industry moved on years ago and they didn't. Now they want back in the game. (I'd love that)  I mentioned a while back that Wilson needs to recall and destroy every sleeve of Sponge Bob Square Pants balls on the planet. That to me is a major image issue.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I'll be interested to see what you have to say Ethan. I looked for some the other day and didn't find them available. Yet. At least you'll be able to get out and play them. I'm afraid Golfzilla will have to wait till July seeing how he lives in Minnesota. I crowed about a year or two ago about the Wilson FG Tour. Really a nice ball. And at the time they were cheap. Now they're priced in the PV range. Ethan I'd guess you're playing today. The weather is nice in Texas this weekend.

Sure was! I had today open so I went and did a good bit of practice with it. Hoping to get some more reps in tomorrow and maybe use a simulator my friend has so I can get some numbers later on.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

First Impressions are up for me. Hoping to get some time on the course with these before the big cool spell in the next week or so. So far I like.

We're off to a great start! Please hit these guys up with your questions

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Many times I wonder or question comments when guys talk about all the spinning, backups, one hopping it, checking it, etc. Now let me say... I'm not putting anyone down. Not at all. I've seen a few higher handicappers spin and backup a shot now and then. It happens. But by and large higher handicappers just don't put the club on the ball or control the club face correctly and in a manor to create such spin. And... spin around the green or with approach shots is a controlled shot. You either (usually) intend to create more or less spin or you don't. So what authority do I with my 6.5 hcp have to speak from? None. I am not much of a spinner, checker, backer-upper of the ball. Never have been. Not even when I was younger and a much better player. Yes... I can most defiantly spin and check a shot if necessary. Sometimes anyway. Around the green I prefer to chip and run. I'm good at it. Pitch shots from 50 yards or so... I can make the ball check by the way I deliver the club and the way I hold the face. For me as long as the ball is high quality and mostly urethane covered balls I can spin them. Doesn't really matter to me much which brand it is. I personally haven't been able to differentiate between the performance of Tour quality balls as far as spin is concerned. Distance is another animal.

I'm with PJ here.  Yes, I can spin the ball but not consistently.  That's the problem... if you can't do it the same every time, you are better off not doing it if you don't have to.  

I have also found that the amount of spin is also dictated by the type and condition of the greens.  Everybody's greens are different.  Very rarely is that ever mentioned when people talk about spin.  There are times of the year here when I can suck back a wedge shot because the greens are fairly soft.  When I know that, I will fly the ball closer to the pin on SOME approach shots; I say SOME because many times it checks up too quickly and I have a long putt.  However, in the summer when temps are over 100, the ball doesn't check much and the same shot will be off the back of the green.  Much easier to play short and allow for a release.  Urethane tour balls stop a little quicker, but not by much.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good observation Kenny. I agree. My home greens are some variety of Bent. Right now for instance they are hard and fast. It's difficult to spin anything. Later on when it warms and the grass is growing better checking is much more conducive. So for now I try and play short and let the ball roll out more.

Without spoiling anything for the finished review I will say I've gotten some interesting results so far in on the course testing but I haven't been able to do the simulator quite yet to get any solid numbers. I hope to do that tomorrow though assuming I don't gotta take a two and a half hour drive to Dallas to find one.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

That would be above and beyond. I'm pretty sure we could take your personal on-course experience and findings as sufficient. But if you're going to hit the round come on out west a few more hours and we'll both test them out. With a $2-nassau. ;)

That would be above and beyond. I'm pretty sure we could take your personal on-course experience and findings as sufficient. But if you're going to hit the round come on out west a few more hours and we'll both test them out. With a $2-nassau. ;)

believe me I would if I could

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Many times I wonder or question comments when guys talk about all the spinning, backups, one hopping it, checking it, etc. Now let me say... I'm not putting anyone down. Not at all. I've seen a few higher handicappers spin and backup a shot now and then. It happens. But by and large higher handicappers just don't put the club on the ball or control the club face correctly and in a manor to create such spin. And... spin around the green or with approach shots is a controlled shot. You either (usually) intend to create more or less spin or you don't. So what authority do I with my 6.5 hcp have to speak from? None. I am not much of a spinner, checker, backer-upper of the ball. Never have been. Not even when I was younger and a much better player. Yes... I can most defiantly spin and check a shot if necessary. Sometimes anyway. Around the green I prefer to chip and run. I'm good at it. Pitch shots from 50 yards or so... I can make the ball check by the way I deliver the club and the way I hold the face. For me as long as the ball is high quality and mostly urethane covered balls I can spin them. Doesn't really matter to me much which brand it is. I personally haven't been able to differentiate between the performance of Tour quality balls as far as spin is concerned. Distance is another animal.

Interesting thoughts Plaid, because I totally see it from your side. When I first started golf I couldn't spin the ball worth anything. Eventually out of the bunker I could hit one hit and stop them after two hopes. From there, I could finally hit some out of the rough and fairway with some bite. Eventually even my chips with the wedge would hit skid twice and roll out. Reason why I say this is that for me spin has always been a goal I wanted to develop. Between brands and even interbrand I can tell differences in how much spin I can generate. Like I said, the FG Tours ran out a good 20-30 percent farther than the Titelists, but I haven't noticed any difference between the Duo Urethane and the V1x yet. For me spin is important part of the game, but to others like yourself it wouldn't matter in a ball. I don't care about 5-10 yards of distance if it means I can't hit a ball and check it the way I want.

That's why we love golf, lots of ways to play.

I'm with PJ here.  Yes, I can spin the ball but not consistently.  That's the problem... if you can't do it the same every time, you are better off not doing it if you don't have to.  

I have also found that the amount of spin is also dictated by the type and condition of the greens.  Everybody's greens are different.  Very rarely is that ever mentioned when people talk about spin.  There are times of the year here when I can suck back a wedge shot because the greens are fairly soft.  When I know that, I will fly the ball closer to the pin on SOME approach shots; I say SOME because many times it checks up too quickly and I have a long putt.  However, in the summer when temps are over 100, the ball doesn't check much and the same shot will be off the back of the green.  Much easier to play short and allow for a release.  Urethane tour balls stop a little quicker, but not by much.

Perhaps I should explain a bit: when I talk about spin I'm not a person who hits it and expects to suck it back 4-5 feet, at best I hit it and it hits bounces twice and checks. 80 percent of the time I'm talking about a ball that's clean off the face with solid contact and judging all of those shots comparatively. So think 5 or 6 best swings against 5 or 6 best swings with another ball. Additionally I look at what I consider mishits, does the ball scream or does it react differently. That being said, I don't try to play drop and stop shots all the time, but when you need them I'd like to know a ball can do the job.

Golfzilla2069

you versus the gator- one of the best golf pics i've ever seen

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Golfzilla2069

Agreed!

Golfzilla's full review is up -- and you have to check out THE picture of the year so far!

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15165-official-forum-member-review-wilson-duo-urethane/?p=188860

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not for nothing - but I got to play this ball last weekend in Florida before leaving for home.  While my overall play was, uh, crappy, gotta say I do like this ball.  I'm on record as loving last year's 35 compression DUO Spin - played it most of last season and found the spin to solid, the feel excellent and the distance on par with premium balls - with a $26/dozen price tag. 

I was anxious to see how the Urethane would compare, and it compares pretty much how you'd think.  The Urethane has more stopping power on the green, but it pulls off that neat trick of spinning a little less on full shots.  Hit some nice long drives with it and some nice approach shots.  Ball flight was predictable and the ball didn't balloon on me.

From a durability standpoint - my game didn't allow me to use just one ball for the whole round -- it was that bad.  But it did seem to hold up just fine. No worse or better than any other premium ball.  

And have I mentioned I love hitting low compression balls?  55 might be about right for my swing speed.  

I played with Snell, Nike and the Chrome Soft last year, as well as the B330 RX this year - and if I had to rank them, I'd say the DUO Urethane and the B330 RX are the top choices to play for 2016.  Some others will be in the running, but they'd have to be exceptional to knock out either of these two...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Been wanting to try the DU but they aren't available yet in my area. I kind of think I'll like them unless I see a distance loss.

Been wanting to try the DU but they aren't available yet in my area. I kind of think I'll like them unless I see a distance loss.

Plaid for me they were about the same distance wise on iron shots and perhaps a bit longer on the driver cuz of higher trajectory but balls work differently for different people so take that into consideration. You can order them online at wilson's website right now but I've yet to see them in stores here either

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Plaid for me they were about the same distance wise on iron shots and perhaps a bit longer on the driver cuz of higher trajectory but balls work differently for different people so take that into consideration. You can order them online at wilson's website right now but I've yet to see them in stores here either

Yeah - the online deal is kinda hard to beat.  Use the 2-pack first and if you don't like them, send the dozen back to Wilson for a refund.  May be the very definition of putting your money where your mouth is.  

Hope to get out of snowy MN again next month and will pit the DUO Urethane against the 330RX is a 9 vs 9 death match.  Might be better than Super Bowl 50...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Golfzilla2069

Thanks.  Not the biggest gator, but I was keeping an eye on the water in case mama was around.

What's in my bag...

Archived