TESTERS WANTED! ×

LIVE from the PGA Show

JBones

Pix from the Edel booth. A buddy went through the fitting process there and ordered a Tourque Balance, and then had his son fit and bought one for him. Its a pretty thorough process...

uploadfromtaptalk1454194039455.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454194059797.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454194079848.jpg

Sent from my LG-H443 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know why this booth intrigued me - but HJ Gloves might be the biggest glove company you never heard of. They actually make their own gloves - they own the factory in Indonesia - and make gloves for a bunch of companies, PING chief among them.

They're marketing through public pro shops - their main selling point is the shop can retail these gloves for what FootJoys and others wholesale for.

And the they for nice and looked okay. Just so you know what you're looking at if you ever see them

uploadfromtaptalk1454194467650.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454194490477.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454194509718.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454194527286.jpg

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

On the other end of the spectrum I saw a lot of gloves with this glossy rubbery plastic on the palms and inside fingers - kinda like what wide receivers wear.

These had what seems to now be the miracle mineral - copper.

Not a fan of the palm surface at all - hard to make it fit very well...

uploadfromtaptalk1454194854107.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454194886672.jpg

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

uploadfromtaptalk1454195113741.jpg

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

We've seen apparel from Galvin Green before - serious high end stuff. It ain't cheap, which seems to bother people. Its very expensive, which really really bothers people.

Don't care to debate whether its worth it or not - all I can say after seeing it in person is that its very very nice stuff, with an attention to detail you just don't see even in other high end stuff.

GG is the official outer wear provider for the European Ryder Cup team - so of it gets cold and/or set in Minnesota this fall (what are the odds?), the Euros will be in good shape.

uploadfromtaptalk1454195591270.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454195651784.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454195702777.jpg

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

uploadfromtaptalk1454195786435.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454195839869.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454195890010.jpg

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Lovin' me some Jones Bags. New double strap Utility stand bag. Keep an eye on these...he said cryptically...

uploadfromtaptalk1454196143363.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454196187610.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454196236402.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454196284229.jpg

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm sorry guys. I can honestly say the only thing I've seen so far that even interests me slightly is the new Golf Pride putter grips. Everything else? Neh. Earlier at the beginning of the week I said to myself it might be fun to plan a golf trip to the show one day. But now my impression is that there are lots and lots of clothes, a couple pretty girls, and that's about it. Oh did I mention clothes? Lots of clothes. Expensive clothes. Oh and there was a vendor selling hand tooled leather... I mean wedges and a cardboard cut-out training aid of some sort. Everything else looked boring. I just can't imagine a show this large and all they have is clothes. Well.... they do have granola bars just for golfers so that's something. Maybe if I do go sometime I'll bump into the ghost of Jimi Hendrix.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Can't remember if this is Stich or Cru, but they're pretty badass. Saw lots of really nice leather headcovers, and a lot of nicely designed but not quite as nice leather head covers. Difference in feel is remarkable

attachicon.gif20160129_083913.jpg

attachicon.gif20160129_083911.jpg

attachicon.gif20160129_083855.jpg

That brown #1 cover with the 2 stripes looks like sunfish, I have 2 and they are sweet, and very well made. they didn't have brown though when I got mine.

I like the simple style of the others as well, the vintage racing car style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Did you send that Jones Utility Barba?

Galvin Green. Excellent quality. Style - they could've sent their 2007 collection and not a single soul at the show would've noticed. They are so boring. I believe they're actually trying to be like that. GG has a strong market position in Norway. We love Swedish apparel :) Peak Performance. Abacus. JL. 

I agree with Plaid. Not much interesting stuff. No Mizuno? No Nike? Is their absence a signal that the show is not important for big brands? 

Wilson with a DJ......... That tells a story of desperation. Didn't Cobra Puma start doing that 5-6 years ago? Small brands like WS and those looking for their 15 seconds of fame and pictures on WRX and MGS will embrace PGA Show in the future. And Callaway of course. With an oil tanker made out of paper in 2017 :)

No funky putters. I really haven't decided if I like Anser or mallet style best. There are some features I like about both. But it has to be face-balanced; it has to be 31-32 inches; it has to have a 400+ gram head and a 100g counterweight. I don't see many putters that are that short with heads that heavy. My current blade putter is 32 inches and has a 475 gram head and 200 gram counterweight.

When I get back from my 2 week golf trip to Florida in February, I will be posting my modification of the Nike Converge putter that I reviewed last year. I am adding 50 grams to the head, which brings the head weight up to 410 grams, and 100 grams to the grip end of the shaft.

Wait a minute! Did I just describe a funky putter? ;)

I'm a fan of the heavier putter too, I know Lowtide can make their Fin putter out of copper and it weighs 390, not sure what their Whale tail would

Be out of copper but I know what you mean with finding the heavy head unless it's a big mallet.

Don't know why this booth intrigued me - but HJ Gloves might be the biggest glove company you never heard of. They actually make their own gloves - they own the factory in Indonesia - and make gloves for a bunch of companies, PING chief among them.

They're marketing through public pro shops - their main selling point is the shop can retail these gloves for what FootJoys and others wholesale for.

And the they for nice and looked okay. Just so you know what you're looking at if you ever see them

20160128_153443.jpg

20160128_153434.jpg

20160128_153401.jpg

20160128_153353.jpg

Never thought about wearing HJ gloves.

Posted Image

Never thought about wearing HJ gloves.

I feel there's a joke some where here...

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm sure they get the job done.

waaaaay too much grip, im thinking they would affect feel in a very harsh way

waaaaay too much grip, im thinking they would affect feel in a very harsh way

Not sure if we're talking about the same job, but I agree that feel is important.

Not sure if we're talking about the same job, but I agree that feel is important.

Yeah, took it a lil too far. Too many double entendres.

Yeah, took it a lil too far. Too many double entendres.

If it helps with your decision - they are soft.  Real soft.

Mmmmmmmmmm......

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

No Mizuno? No Nike? Is their absence a signal that the show is not important for big brands? 

I did have a meeting with some Mizuno people -- they were there, just not there, if you know what I mean.  Didn't seen anyone from Nike, but they may have been lurking.

These days stuff is getting introduced in September and October, and lots of people have already had a chance to try a lot of the 2016 products.  I'm sure there was stuff I missed, but the only products being shown for the first time that i saw were the Hogans (PTx, VKTR and HI), the Bridgestone JGR driver and irons and some of the new Tour Edge stuff (Rally wedges, Exotics FW woods - I'll get some pix of those up today).  

It would have been nice to see the new Mizuno FW's and driver - haven't seen those anywhere yet, but I think we've seen the new irons already.  I guess they made the decision of cost vs. benefit -- at least that's what the folks I talked with hinted at.  They appeared to be trying to get their business done behind the scenes.  We'll see if it worked.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

$90! For piece of plastic with some decals on it. What kind of R&D budget did they have for this? Clearly they know about all the sick people on this forum who can't help themselves (myself included). At the same time I am equal parts sick and broke. If you can take a hi res pic from directly overhead and get me the length dimension, I could knock out a printable pattern in no time. From the website it looks like there is a pattern on the back for alignment as well. I predict a market correction for this product. $19.99 

When we were watching people test out this thing we talked about what the price would be.  We all agreed $35 to $40 would be fair and reasonable.  $90?  Uhhh, yeah....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The wrist device is just so ugly. Pre-production? Proto?

Talked with Gavin Dear, one of their bigwigs (have to look up the title) he said this is an early model -- there will be a few changes in the final production model come April...different buttons, etc.  They have a pretty strong battery in it (good for 9-12 hours, he says), which may have something to do with the size.  

Looking forward to giving these a spin.

Thoughts on the Golf Pride Grip with the Game Golf thing in it?   

The grip has a little slot that you pop the sensor in after it's installed -- so you don't have to replace the whole package when you regrip.  Addresses concerns about how those things hold up at the bottom of the bag, I guess.  Had a long talk with the CEO of Game Golf -- more on that as we resurrect our 5 Questions segments....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Game Golf + Golf Pride is interesting. It shows that they listen to the users and want to improve the product. How much will the grips cost? 

I haven't read everything about it. Do you have to buy a new type of tags? 

Game Golf + Golf Pride is interesting. It shows that they listen to the users and want to improve the product. How much will the grips cost? 

I haven't read everything about it. Do you have to buy a new type of tags? 

You buy the grips and tags as a set.  Install the grips and slide the tags in after...they also have a function that tells you when it's time to regrip.  Golf Pride must have snuck that one in there....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

When we were watching people test out this thing we talked about what the price would be.  We all agreed $35 to $40 would be fair and reasonable.  $90?  Uhhh, yeah....

$39.99 was what I was think was going to be their price point when I first saw this. I guess, ~$40 seems like a reasonable one-time purchase. I still say their margins on this must be huge, but if folks pay then more power to them. That $90 price does come with free shipping ;)

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I'm glad no one was relying on me to provide any live reports from the show!  Fortunately, I knew BarbaJo was keeping everyone up to date.

I'm still getting caught up at home, after having to take off a couple of days early to make sure I could get out to the paved roads in order to make the drive to MSP for my flight.  And, I'm old and feeling the 2 days of walking the show, Demo Days and 72 holes of golf that my body wasn't used to in the middle of winter.

I hurt, but in a really good way ;)

Obviously, there was a LOT of cool and interesting stuff at the show, but I've felt pretty set with what I've got in my bag and wasn't really searching for anything in particular.

There's one product I bought (I'll write about it later), a couple that I found interesting and suggested might make good MGS Testing reviews, but in all honesty, I was just hoping that this year the Srixon Z545 irons wouldn't feel as sweet as they did last year, because they're NOT showing up for resale and I wanted to stick with my current irons this year.

It's rather difficult to describe WHY they feel so good to me, but somehow they feel better to me than any of the other clubs I hit at the show, including the ones I shipped from home to play with... 

I'll wait until I have the chance to play golf up here a few weeks this Spring before making a decision, but I might just have to schedule a fitting at 2nd Swing later this year...  

It's rather ironic that, at a show full of all the latest and greatest products, the one I really, really get excited about was introduced last year - lol

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I am interested in the Shotscope.........can we get a review going on them?

https://www.facebook...?type=3

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 month later...

$39.99 was what I was think was going to be their price point when I first saw this. I guess, ~$40 seems like a reasonable one-time purchase. I still say their margins on this must be huge, but if folks pay then more power to them. That $90 price does come with free shipping ;)

The Golf Slot Machine is actually lightweight aluminum not plastic. But agree still a little steep.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been very nice to Shot Scope, but they're still sending me a demo unit :D Expecting to get it sometime in May.

Good people. Good company. That's my impression after communicating with them. They believe in their product. Really looking forward to trying it. 

Archived