GolfSpy Barbajo

Bridgestone's New JGR Hybrid Irons

Our Sponsors

I'll try to get a closer look at these later today too....

FORGED FOR FORGIVENESS

Covington, Ga. — Bridgestone Golf, the #1 ball-fitter in golf and a recognized industry innovator, announced today the launch of its new JGR Hybrid Forged Irons at the 2016 PGA Merchandise Show. The new Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Forged Irons use innovative technologies and materials to deliver longer distance and more forgiveness, while maintaining the buttery feel golfers have come to expect from forged irons.  

“Similar to how we identified a gap in the market and invented the category of Tour balls for amateur swings back in 2008, we noticed that there was major gap in the club market for players who wanted the feel of a forged iron, but needed more forgiveness,” said Josh Kinchen, Golf Club Marketing Manager, Bridgestone Golf, Inc. “Our solution is the JGR Hybrid Forged Irons.  JGR Irons deliver unmatched forgiveness, launch and distance due to their incredibly low and deep center-of-gravity and face design.”

jgr-hybrid-irons.jpg

The forgiveness and performance that the JGR Hybrid Forged Irons generate is achieved through three primary technologies:

1. Ultra-thin Face Design
• Crafted from a proprietary metal alloy, Ultimate Strong Metal 2.0 features unparalleled tensile and yield strength in an ultra-thin (1.5mm) face for greater repulsion, forgiveness and longer carry distance.  

2. Low and Deep Center-of-Gravity 
• Utilizing a unique wide-sole design that resists digging at impact, the center-of-gravity in the JGR irons is located in the extreme lower rear of the club, allowing for incredibly easy, high launching distance.

3. Turbo Rubber Composite Insert
• Bridgestone's patented insert in the clubhead dampens vibration at impact, further enhancing its soft forged feel and saves discretionary weight to optimize perimeter-weighting forgiveness.

The JGR Hybrid Forged Irons come standard in a set of 6-PW2 with both steel (Nipponâ„¢ NS Pro Zelos 8) and graphite (UST Mamiyaâ„¢ Recoil) shaft options.  Street Price for steel is $699 and for graphite it is $749.  Custom shaft and grip options are available.

The JGR Hybrid Forged Irons will be available at retail on March 4, 2016.

Visit www.bridgestonegolf.com to learn more about Bridgestone Golf's 2016 plans and to view the comprehensive lineup of new products
  • Like 1

Forged version of the Ping GMax??  I like it!

I have hit these.  They go straight. And high.  We tried to curve them, but were only able to hit very small shaped cuts and draws..  Almost too forgiving..  And the lofts are a joke.  There are 2 PW's  The 7 iron is essentially a 5 iron, but flies on a 7 trajectory. If you can bet past the look, B-stone has a huge hit on their hands...

• Like 2

We've gotten there.

Thirty-two degree five-iron to twenty-two degree five-iron.

Loft creep has reached TEN degrees.

Congrats, OEMs.

We've gotten there.Thirty-two degree five-iron to twenty-two degree five-iron.Loft creep has reached TEN degrees.Congrats, OEMs.

Does it really matter though if the ball flight is the same as the old one? Obviously this club isn't targeted at me but who cares what the loft is if the gapping is consistent.

If I can fly a 7i my 5i distance with a 7i trajectory, I'm all for it!  I would like a little more workability; that's the problem I have with my Ping i20's

• Like 1

If I can fly a 7i my 5i distance with a 7i trajectory, I'm all for it! I would like a little more workability; that's the problem I have with my Ping i20's

Totally agree. I don't see the problem with jacked lofts if the ball gets in the air with the same flight as the higher lofted same clubs. It won't work for my game bc I would need 8 wedges but the club isn't aimed at me is it? It seems like an ideal club for ams.

On I side note I'm with you about workability. Although I'm sure I could still hit a 40 yard cut if really really wanted to.

Totally agree. I don't see the problem with jacked lofts if the ball gets in the air with the same flight as the higher lofted same clubs. It won't work for my game bc I would need 8 wedges but the club isn't aimed at me is it? It seems like an ideal club for ams.

On I side note I'm with you about workability. Although I'm sure I could still hit a 40 yard cut if really really wanted to.

I don't work the ball much.  I like straight.  But when I need that shot, I want a club that will give me a little bit of curve.  Don't need 40 yards though.  lol

• Like 1

Only time I hit a 40 yard cut is when I'm trying to hit draw. So I set up for the draw and double cross the hell out of it. 80% of the time it works 100% of the time.

• Like 2

I'll try to get a closer look at these later today too....

FORGED FOR FORGIVENESS

Covington, Ga. — Bridgestone Golf, the #1 ball-fitter in golf and a recognized industry innovator, announced today the launch of its new JGR Hybrid Forged Irons at the 2016 PGA Merchandise Show. The new Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Forged Irons use innovative technologies and materials to deliver longer distance and more forgiveness, while maintaining the buttery feel golfers have come to expect from forged irons.  

“Similar to how we identified a gap in the market and invented the category of Tour balls for amateur swings back in 2008, we noticed that there was major gap in the club market for players who wanted the feel of a forged iron, but needed more forgiveness,” said Josh Kinchen, Golf Club Marketing Manager, Bridgestone Golf, Inc. “Our solution is the JGR Hybrid Forged Irons.  JGR Irons deliver unmatched forgiveness, launch and distance due to their incredibly low and deep center-of-gravity and face design.”

The forgiveness and performance that the JGR Hybrid Forged Irons generate is achieved through three primary technologies:

1. Ultra-thin Face Design
• Crafted from a proprietary metal alloy, Ultimate Strong Metal 2.0 features unparalleled tensile and yield strength in an ultra-thin (1.5mm) face for greater repulsion, forgiveness and longer carry distance.  

2. Low and Deep Center-of-Gravity 
• Utilizing a unique wide-sole design that resists digging at impact, the center-of-gravity in the JGR irons is located in the extreme lower rear of the club, allowing for incredibly easy, high launching distance.

3. Turbo Rubber Composite Insert
• Bridgestone's patented insert in the clubhead dampens vibration at impact, further enhancing its soft forged feel and saves discretionary weight to optimize perimeter-weighting forgiveness.

The JGR Hybrid Forged Irons come standard in a set of 6-PW2 with both steel (Nipponâ„¢ NS Pro Zelos 8) and graphite (UST Mamiyaâ„¢ Recoil) shaft options.  Street Price for steel is $699 and for graphite it is $749.  Custom shaft and grip options are available.

The JGR Hybrid Forged Irons will be available at retail on March 4, 2016.

Visit www.bridgestonegolf.com to learn more about Bridgestone Golf's 2016 plans and to view the comprehensive lineup of new products

Did you get a closer look?  Do they sell individual clubs or only a whole set?  Where in the world are Bridgestone fitters?

Did you get a closer look?  Do they sell individual clubs or only a whole set?  Where in the world are Bridgestone fitters?

Meeting with them today. From previous discussions they know they are, and refer to themselves as, a "challenger" brand, and that they're fighting for shelf space and the attention of retailers and consumers every day.  It's certainly not for lack of trying and definitely  not for a lack of quality equipment.  Not releasing anything new between 2011 and 2015 probably didn't help them much.

One thing I will ask is how their 3-club demo program has worked out.  I'll also ask about plans for getting to retail and for fitting.  

I have a couple of pix somewhere on my phone - will try to post them today.

Clunky, but better looking than the Cleveland 588 Altitudes.

Meeting with them today. From previous discussions they know they are, and refer to themselves as, a "challenger" brand, and that they're fighting for shelf space and the attention of retailers and consumers every day.  It's certainly not for lack of trying and definitely  not for a lack of quality equipment.  Not releasing anything new between 2011 and 2015 probably didn't help them much.

One thing I will ask is how their 3-club demo program has worked out.  I'll also ask about plans for getting to retail and for fitting.  

I have a couple of pix somewhere on my phone - will try to post them today.

Thanks.  This may be the year that I rework my bag.  I have been talking about it for a year.  The problem is the SCORs; I don't want to give them up, but can't find what I want that starts where my 42* SCOR ends.  I like the feel of forged and an 8i or whatever equivalent has to fly on a similar trajectory as the SCOR.  It's really hard to fit clubs that gap between my FW and 9i SCOR.  

• Like 1

I don't work the ball much.  I like straight.  But when I need that shot, I want a club that will give me a little bit of curve.  Don't need 40 yards though.  lol

When you find yourself as deep in the woods as I do from time to time the ole 40 yard cut comes in handy lol.

And we also agree again. I'm generally trying to hit the ball pretty straight. 3 yard cut is my prefered shot shape

• Like 1

Got some info - intended to be basically a super-duper game improvement iron. Strong lofts and a wide wide flange. Forged for nicer feel

The decision to to with 6-p2 instead of 5-pw was a Japanese market decision. The guys I spoke with weren't happy, but it was a fight they weren't going to win.

Sent from my LG-H443 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1454086705662.jpg

Some more pix---

uploadfromtaptalk1454213925329.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454213971655.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454214005214.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454213948394.jpg