TESTERS WANTED! ×

P2 Putter Grips - What I brought home from the PGA Show

wbealsd

Well, I wasn't much of a floor reporter while I was in Orlando.  I'm not in the habit of taking pictures with my phone, nor can I really type more than brief texts with it and I wasn't exactly in "shopping mode" while I was attending.  I was primarily in Orlando for the golf, more than any interest in equipment changes.

I'm actually surprised I made a purchase at all, which should indicate why I'm particularly impressed with this product.

P2Grip.jpg

As I've mentioned on other posts, I started having tendon problems in my hands last season and started experimenting with different club grips and gloves.

I don't want to give the impression that the P2 Putter Grip is specifically, or ONLY designed for golfers with "bad hands."  Since many players are now using "jumbo" grips, this style of grip should have wide appeal.

I've tried a couple of SuperStroke style grips, but hadn't yet found one that really felt natural for me.  What prompted me to buy one at the show is simply this: it's the first oversize grip that just felt comfortable in my hands.  But, it's not JUST an oversize grip, there's some science behind their concept as well.

https://youtu.be/6g8gFEzZiEI

"Some golfers while putting over rotate and close the putter face, and some golfers under rotate and open the putter face. P2 will help to address both issues and aid your putting stroke regardless of which tendency you currently have.

The double flat sided design of the P2 grip, encourages both hands to be positioned squarely to the target making it more difficult to over rotate the wrist.

As the off-centre shaft forces the wrists into a higher position, it limits the wrists range of motion which is crucial. P2 prevents the dreaded “wrist flick” at impact and encourages the lead wrist to continue working towards the target."

Since I've got a few more months before the local courses will open, it will be awhile before I can give a real review of the P2 Grip, but I wanted to at least make folks that read the forum aware of the grip.

P2Classic.jpg

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

hmm, looks comfy and  looks to fit the arching of the fingers into the palm. will be interested to see how you like it

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

hmm, looks comfy and  looks to fit the arching of the fingers into the palm. will be interested to see how you like it

So will I, hope to get the grip installed Monday so I can a least start trying it out indoors!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The key here for you and I like that is you stated it was comfortable for you. That is the start of it right there. Absolutely no tension in the hands leads to good putting and leads to a good tension free swing overall

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

That's the hope, Stu!  It's a big grip, that doesn't FEEL like a BIG grip, to me - lol

Hand surgery at the end of the month, should help as well.  Prognosis is good, as it seems to be more or less a "tight tendon" not "gliding" right, not arthritis.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

It looks like it tapers a little like your standard grips am I correct or is it just the way it looks in the pick?

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

It looks like it tapers a little like your standard grips am I correct or is it just the way it looks in the pick?

Yep, it's tapered, which is likely why it feels better in my hands.

After a slight delay due to a stomach virus, I'm hoping to get the grip installed tomorrow, so I can at least start using it to practice indoors.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Let me know how you like it. Glad your doing better by the way

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Let me know how you like it. Glad your doing better by the way

Thanks!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 2 weeks later...

Granted, it's just indoor "carpet putting," within the 12' range, but this grip is very comfortable and seems more intuitively accurate than the other 2 putters I've been using.  I thought I'd need to adjust the swingweight after changing to a larger/heavier grip, but won't really know until I can get outside to evaluate distance control on real greens and longer distances.

I've always run my right index finger down the grip, which has been difficult since I developed "trigger finger," but there's less stress on the finger with this grip's shape.

I also seem to be a bit more upright in my stance using the P2, and I don't know if that increases stability, or not.  It took a little while to adjust to it, but once I did my putting seemed more natural/instinctive and I have a better rythm transitioning between my read, to my pre-shot and my stroke.

My rough estimate is 15%-20% improvement, over the results with my other putters, after a few days of informal testing.

Surgery on my hand Friday, so the real testing will begin when I can start putting outside in a few weeks.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 2 weeks later...

Still recovering from hand surgery and waiting for the local courses to open, but came across a video and some news on the P2 Putter Grip I wanted to share. I'm REALLY looking forward to using it on real greens after my results indoors!

2016 PGA Show Video

TheGolfDirector.com - P2 Putter Grips

Golfers getting a grip

"“What makes it so unique is the putter shaft is housed on the back side of the putter grip, leaving the most distance on the top side allowed by golf's governing bodies,” Auger explained. “Every other putter grip out there has the shaft housed in the middle of the grip and that in itself makes a huge difference.” The P2 grip elevates the hands, making it much more difficult for the player to introduce wrist action to the putting stroke."

http://www.countyweeklynews.ca/2016/02/19/golfers-getting-a-grip

Six PGA Show Products That Blew Us Away A preview of Golf Tips' annual Equipment Buyers Guide"

What sets most Tour pros apart from the rest of us in the putting department? Their ability to maintain an upright and straight hand position throughout the stroke"

http://www.golftipsmag.com/equipment/editors-picks-and-reviews/six-pga-show-products-that-blew-us-away.html?start=1#.Vt2FoX0rLyN

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

this is very intriguing.  a bit of a different take than the super stroke fatso in which the "hole" for the shaft is right down the middle.  

I can really see how this keeps your hands/wrists quiet but I'm curious if you lose any feel with this?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

this is very intriguing.  a bit of a different take than the super stroke fatso in which the "hole" for the shaft is right down the middle.  

I can really see how this keeps your hands/wrists quiet but I'm curious if you lose any feel with this?

I tried them at the show last week - not bad. Very different, but I could learn to like it  ;)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a box of the grips too and have one on my putter.

First trial was at Del Mar country club. Accuracy was awesome outside 10ft.

I could say inside 3ft because I was just so excited to be that closed I pooched each time :blink:

on the next occasion I got over the school girl  anxiety and made some real nice 3 -6 footers. :D

The new lighter models are now available.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely interested in this concept and would like to maybe see some comparisons of the current run of forward leaning grips.

I got a chance to meet the designer of Directed Force putters at a golf expo over the weekend, and in addition to the putter, they sell a grip that is in this category.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Archived