Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Arccos

chemclub

I think this Arccos driver tech is very cool and a lot easier to use than the 14 club stat trackers (although if they made the data management and analysis slick and user friendly then I would love to try it, but for the current price I am not that interested). Direct bluetooth to your cell is much better than those belt sensors and if you carry you can probably leave your phone in the bag.

However, does anyone know how it registers your second shot to determine driver distance? If you set your bag down because your playing partner is stick handling up the fairway how does it know you aren't at your shot. Same goes if you are carting. The passive, background data collection is ideal, but I am just trying to figure out how it works.

Any thoughts?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I think this Arccos driver tech is very cool and a lot easier to use than the 14 club stat trackers (although if they made the data management and analysis slick and user friendly then I would love to try it, but for the current price I am not that interested). Direct bluetooth to your cell is much better than those belt sensors and if you carry you can probably leave your phone in the bag.

However, does anyone know how it registers your second shot to determine driver distance? If you set your bag down because your playing partner is stick handling up the fairway how does it know you aren't at your shot. Same goes if you are carting. The passive, background data collection is ideal, but I am just trying to figure out how it works.

Any thoughts?

I talked with Arccos at the show, and I'm going from memory so I may be a little fuzzy on the details.  I think (and I maybe getting this confused with a different product), but I think you have to keep your phone in your pocket on your 2nd swing - and the app will be able to pick up what a real swing feels like, so that's how it will know where your 2nd shot is from.  

But the phone does have to be in your pocket.  Apparently it's sensitive enough to know the difference between a practice swing and a real swing with impact.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I talked with Arccos at the show, and I'm going from memory so I may be a little fuzzy on the details.  I think (and I maybe getting this confused with a different product), but I think you have to keep your phone in your pocket on your 2nd swing - and the app will be able to pick up what a real swing feels like, so that's how it will know where your 2nd shot is from.  

But the phone does have to be in your pocket.  Apparently it's sensitive enough to know the difference between a practice swing and a real swing with impact.  

The last thing that I want in my pocket during a round of golf is my phone..  No Thank You. 

I can list about 42 reasons why, but the primary one has to do with the reason that I am on the course...  Getting away from my phone...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The last thing that I want in my pocket during a round of golf is my phone..  No Thank You. 

I can list about 42 reasons why, but the primary one has to do with the reason that I am on the course...  Getting away from my phone...

Totally agree with this sentiment about escaping. Turn your phone off until after you are in the car driving home. I am also someone who has a pretty superstitious set of things allowed in my pockets when I play. Hit a bad shot... Well of course I did, I had a tee in my left pocket instead of in my right and it must have thrown my weight off. 

• 4 weeks later...

2nd that, I hate having anything but a couple tees and a ball marker in my pocket

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

• 1 month later...

My wife bought me the Arccos system for Xmas. I use an Android phone so that was the first problem but securing a 2nd hand iPhone 5 I had a working solution. The big thing about Arccos is that you don't have to touch the phone once you have started the round. And so long as the phone is near you, like in your bag, then the system works fine.

Arccos only suggest in your pocket because it guarantees it is with you when you swing and that means the location is accurate. It uses the gps in the phone to decide where you were when you swing. So whilst the app is running and there is a swing it will record it as the ball location. The last swing in that location is the one it uses. Which is great unless you get stuck in a bunker and have to take a second attempt to get out.

If you look at the phone during the round it gives you distance to front, centre and back plus you can touch the screen and get distances to hazards. During the round, if you are so inclined you can reset shots, add penalties set pin positions and so on.

The handicapping is pretty accurate after a few rounds and it provides values for driving, approach, chipping, sand and putting. All so you can measure the good and bad parts of your game.

All of this without having to touch the phone at all during the round if you don't want to. It's pretty cool piece of tech and the only issue I have had in 20 rounds is a couple of batteries died so I had to manually add shots after the round to get it right.

Hope this helps.

• SPY VIP

Exactly this. You need to have your phone in your pocket. It detects the first swing (the drive), and then figures out distance based on where your next swing is taken. The phone in the pocket is the liability.

Thus far it hasn't received the same attention as Arccos or Game Golf, but the SkyGolf GameTracker GT2 shows some potential. Like Game Golf it works with a belt clip/signal booster. You can use your phone to keep score, but it doesn't need to be with you, or turned on, for GT2 to work. It supposedly has some advanced capabilities, but whether or not it works as intended remains to be seen.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This may sound crazy but somebody is going to embed a chip in a ball before long. How cool would it be to have a dozen balls like that and then be able to get out on the course and practice with them. I'd assume they would be programed to provide all types of information. Distance and dispersion alone would be great.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

This may sound crazy but somebody is going to embed a chip in a ball before long. How cool would it be to have a dozen balls like that and then be able to get out on the course and practice with them. I'd assume they would be programed to provide all types of information. Distance and dispersion alone would be great.

Not to mention never losing a golf ball again (unless you slice it into the bottom of a pond)...think about how often you'd be able to play with Pro V 1s!!!

brofessionalgolfer.com B) - check us out, bro!

Twitter: @BroGolfer

Facebook 

Instagram

Well Bro... I wasn't thinking of a game ball per se' but maybe so. It's probably more complicated than just a tiny "chip" but it's fun to imagine. Ya never know.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

More than 20 years ago the NHL had a puck with a sensor in it so they could highlight it on TV and show where the small puck was for everyone viewing at home. Everyone made fun of it, which was silly. I think the sensor puck was just ahead of its time.

That is all too say that those sensors maybe could be miniaturized to fit into a golf ball 20 years later. The problem would be compression. The puck does not really compress as much as a ball. And the core of a ball is so critical to performance. 

Yeah probably with a premium price, then I'll start throwing clubs around when one of these balls dunks in the lake! HAHA

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

Archived