TESTERS WANTED! ×

DST Compressor - do you want it

chemclub

The CR-10 does not have a face similar to the TS. It has a straight shaft instead of a curved shaft. It does still have the line up aids that get your hands ahead of the ball. The impression I get is that you use it after you've used the regular curved DST.

That's the website says.  I am just wondering if there is really any advantage to using it instead of just a regular straight shafted club?  In other words, is it just an attempt to get more money or is there truly a benefit to using it instead of any regular shafted club already in your bag?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to chime in here. I have a tour striker and the DST. I prefer the DST for a few reasons.

First of all. The tour striker is easy to cheat. I purchased the club, had the few experiences with worm burners and the like, and then quickly learned how to essentially flip at impact to simulate a good strike.

With the DST it seems to reinforce the fundamentals of golf. I showed it to my teacher on Wednesday and he was blown away by it! He loved the position it put me into at impact. He loved the immediate feedback it provides, he was really excited about it and wanted to purchase one or a few for in his store to sell and have for his students.

Just from a real world effectiveness standpoint, the DST is the more memorable, and easier to reinforce club to hit. It's very sound in what it is teaching the golfer to do, and doesn't really have a way to work around it.

The only key is being honest with yourself about the ball flight. If you try to justify the high/weak shots that are co,one off the iron as being good shots then it won't change anything for you.

Hope that helps!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Just to chime in here. I have a tour striker and the DST. I prefer the DST for a few reasons.

First of all. The tour striker is easy to cheat. I purchased the club, had the few experiences with worm burners and the like, and then quickly learned how to essentially flip at impact to simulate a good strike.

With the DST it seems to reinforce the fundamentals of golf. I showed it to my teacher on Wednesday and he was blown away by it! He loved the position it put me into at impact. He loved the immediate feedback it provides, he was really excited about it and wanted to purchase one or a few for in his store to sell and have for his students.

Just from a real world effectiveness standpoint, the DST is the more memorable, and easier to reinforce club to hit. It's very sound in what it is teaching the golfer to do, and doesn't really have a way to work around it.

The only key is being honest with yourself about the ball flight. If you try to justify the high/weak shots that are co,one off the iron as being good shots then it won't change anything for you.

Hope that helps!

Sschaffer24, DST wedge or 8-iron?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Wedge!

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

• 4 weeks later...

Singh... I think they are quite different actually. Although the concepts of both clubs are similar.... striking the ball with forward shaft lean; with the TS it's much harder to accomplish. I own both clubs and have found the DST to be very easy to hit quality shots with. They are both good products. They just take a different approach getting you there. I think if I were asked to choose one I'd select the DST.

BTW... I own a 7i TS and 8i DST.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've been using the DST to practice recently after having some terrible experiences with my irons on vacation. It's been extremely helpful in getting me into the correct position and really eliminating the positional thoughts from my mind! Highly recommend.

I as well have a tour striker and the DST. I just find the DST more intuitive and honestly a little more difficult to master and overall more effective.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Received my DST Wedge last week. The snow just came off of the range so I will hopefully get a chance to try it out next week. I also got a Tiba putt. I am out of control since joining this forum!

That's exactly how it feels, which is crazy! It really is the first way to without a doubt feel the correct impact position.

To FEEL it!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Just ordered mine today.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Well it might Ethan. However.... go take a look at the TS closely. It's got a pronounced roundness to the lower 1/3 of the face-sole area. Mine is down at the office or I'd post a pic. But I think you'll get the idea.

just noticed that, good point Plaid.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Hit a few shots with my DST Wedge at the range before my round yesterday. In hindsight, I wonder if I should have bought the 8i. I think it would have been helpful to see a longer flight. These are only a first impression though.

It was really solid when I made a few half swing pitches.

• 2 weeks later...

Used mine twice and I like it. Seems to have made my AOA a little shallower and I tend to hit a draw more often. I have hit a fade for over 10 years and been afraid of the draw. We will see how this goes as I continue to use it

Snell MTB-X

• SPY VIP

Played my first round of 2016 this morning. I'd barely had many range sessions this winter so didn't expect to much.

First 10 balls of my warm up bucket were with the DST wedge and I hit those great. The compressor really gets you in a good mental and especially physical mindset. I then surprisingly striped the next 10 balls with 5 irons. Just the reinforcement of impact position alone is money. The curve of the shaft also gets me in a mindset of turning my body through the shot.

As for the round I hit some as expected skanky shots today, but on a whole my ball striking was really good. I attribute this ball striking to using the DST with each limited range session this winter. It's the only training divice I've found that not only provides feedback, but shows you what to do.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I agree completely and wholeheartedly with that statement MBP. This thing has been awesome for me. I've shown it to my instructor and he LOVES it, and I've really added some "easier" distance to my shots this year. I'm not necessarily gaining yardage, it just feels like I can put a more efficient swing on the ball and get more out of it.

I love this thing! I'm very happy with it and recommend it to basically everyone that I know who golfs!

The coolest thing about it as well is that my girlfriend is in the process of learning the game and I had her do some range time with this. Yes it was frustrating for her at times, but it was immediately making her learn how to hit the golf ball correctly!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

• SPY VIP

What he said ^

My swing is tighter, more compact and I definitely compress the ball better. My ball flight is flatter, more boring and doesn't tend to get floaty. It doesn't feel like I'm sweeping the ball any more and I'm now going at it with more of a controlled attack. So easy to pass through the ball these days without tension.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Honestly I think one of the most missed on opportunities with this club is how awesome of a tool it is for teaching someone who is brand new to golf and doesn't get the golf swing at all. Rather than explaining every technical detail and trying to get through to someone whose eyes glaze over as soon as you start talking angles and numbers, you can just hand them a club, show them how to setup and let them go to town!

It's awesome. MBP do you find yourself using the Wedge and 8 iron interchangeably? I know as of awhile ago the Wedge was your club of choice. I'm just curious if that preference is still the same?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

All, and especially the guys already using a DST --

Thanks for all the info! Looked at these, thought it was another pricey gimmick, but now am gonna $plurge!

On the wedge - wanna sharpen my short game in particular; but also those chip and pitch shots should be the basis of the full swing...

Last Winter I got a set of the Tour Strikers (which is 7i and PW). Used them sporadically and did not feel as if they were really helping me with my main problem (well... one of my many main problems LOL...) which is rotating thru impact PLUS shifting weight forward.

As mentioned by others TS emphasizes forward shaft lean. Almost exclusively, it seems. You do need to turn thru the shot but, again as others have said, you can "cheat" a bit.

Oh- and the idea of using a DST with a new[er] golfer is brilliant!!! Gonna put it in my wife's hands and let her get to the feel of a proper full swing on her own .... Thx!!!

(Guys: what do I do if she starts out-playing me???)

Plaid Jacket:

Wanna trade??? Send you one of my TS clubs for your DST? (Wedge, was it?) If you do DM me. Thx.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

If she starts outplaying you you do two things.

One congratulate her for all of her hard work! and two go out and find the best teacher you can.... Haha.

I also had a tour striker as well as the DST and honestly they're not even in the same realm. This thing is seriously awesome for me and is a cemented part of my routine.

The only complaint I have about the wedge is that I tend to hit a high ball to begin with, so I am trained to hit a higher shot and make sense of that as being "normal". So when I get a little flippy with the DST and hit a popup sometimes I confuse myself. Not a big deal, It's just a quirk of mine and something I have to pay attention to.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Sschaffer:

Actually really would like her to improve so she can enjoy the game more (somewhat self-critical at times...) and we can play more courses together.

On the second point: covered! Have a friend who is a pro and has competed a bit on the Euro tour and also in US, British and S. Africa opens. Met him at a practice range recently and he gave me one simple but devastatingly effective swing change. Still working on ingraining it but it has really opened up/loosened up my swing!

(He also had me weaken my right (trail) hand on the grip.)

Thx again for the feedback on the wedge trainer!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

OK... Just ordered the wedge off their site; used coupon code "DST10" to save $10.

Will post impressions, initial feedback soon!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP

I haven't seen my 8 iron in 4 months, lent to a buddy. I've only been working with the wedge and have had no problem just reducing the amount of forward press per club working back to driver. I will admit though, it is nice seeing the longer ball flight of the 8 iron.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Seen a few yards distance so far but still haven't mastered it yet. Still hitting pulls draws with it.

Snell MTB-X

• 2 months later...

I've been looking at this and the Tour Strike.. Does anyone have any preference of the two and which is worth the investment?

thnx!

Tom Wishon's

Sterling Single Length Irons 5-SW- all 37 length, SteelFiber Shafts

XE1 59

Nickent 4 Rescue

Nike VRS Covert Tour 3HY

Nike Covert 2.0 Driver 9.5 w/43.5 Shaft

I want one of of these! 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

I want one of of these! 

get the 8 iron. Just my opinion

I've been looking at this and the Tour Strike.. Does anyone have any preference of the two and which is worth the investment?

thnx!

I have both and very quickly got a lot more out of the DST.

As others mentioned earlier, I also find it teaches / reinforces good body rotation - ie. complete turn from the start of the swing through to the finish - more than the TS.

I also agree with Golfspy MBP: "My swing is tighter, more compact and I definitely compress the ball better."

You don't even have to devote pre-game range time to it (tho, if you can, you should) but swing it back and forth over a patch of grass ... and then carry that feeling of rotation/full-turn good impact position onto the course.

And... It's cheaper than [most] lessons and you can 'repeat the lesson' as often as you like for the one price - way waaaaaay worth it (IMO)!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm really interested in these. I bought a TS and never use it anymore. These reviews have been great to read. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB?

Mizuno JPX921F 4-PW, recoil 95 shafts

Callaway Epic SZ 9.5°, Hzrdus Smoke black 

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

PXG hybrid 0317 Gen 1, Tensi CK Blue

Cobra F9 14.5° 3 wood, Atmos Blue 

Archived