TESTERS WANTED! ×

DST Compressor - do you want it

chemclub

I have been interested in this training aid for some time and the recent blog post made me finally decide to invest in one. (Dan Mann is Canadian as well so that also means something).

Have any of you used it? Do you recommend the 8-iron or the Wedge? I am leaning towards the 8-iron, but most of the pics online show people with the wedge. Any major differences besides the obvious? 

Is there anything to the DST CR-10? The CR-10 is just a straight shaft with 10 degrees of forward lean caused by the sole. Billed as a 'transitional' club, I guess the idea is that it will help you mentally move from the curved shaft to your clubs. Seems a little unnecessary to me. 

Finally, does anyone here address the ball with as much forward press as the Compressor causes at impact or do you line up even with the ball and initiate the Compressor posture at impact.

If Dan Mann is reading, has it changed your address position?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not seen it so I do not know! 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have the wedge model and its part of my warmup routine. I have an over the top and out of balance tendency and this thing absolutely forces you to out a smooth, rhythmic swing on the ball. It also helps make sure your hands stay in from of the club head at impact.

You have to make a good swing or you're going to know it. You either shank dead right or you hit a week pop up that goes about 15 yards.

Can't speak for Dan, but it hasn't changed my address position at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I purchased the 8i about one year ago. Posted an initial review also. I'll admit I've used it sporadically throughout the past year. Mostly on my patio off a mat. With the recent new posts for the DST I decided to put it in my bag this morning. I found DST to be very easy to hit. I can hit pretty much the same shots with my regular 8i. So, for me anyway I'm not so sure I've gained anything from it. Maybe if I practiced with it more I might feel different. I'll give it a shot later this morning on the practice tee.

Don't get me wrong... I like the club and think it will help many people. It makes sense really. I've joked with some guys before when I've had it out and said why not have a full bag of curved shafted clubs? Get one and try it for yourself.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yeah I want one of these I think I convinced my wife to get it for me as a Valentine's Day gift lol. I honk this will help be with my hip rotation issue.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• SPY VIP

Dan here!

My address position hasn't changed even in practice. I'm neutral I guess you'd call it, maybe a hair pressed.

Regardless of setup, you still need to get your hands in front of the ball with the compressor or bad things will happen. This keeps me from swaying and focusing on turning. No more wandering head, no more flip. It's pretty much a do or do not aid.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Dan here!

My address position hasn't changed even in practice. I'm neutral I guess you'd call it, maybe a hair pressed.

Regardless of setup, you still need to get your hands in front of the ball with the compressor or bad things will happen. This keeps me from swaying and focusing on turning. No more wandering head, no more flip. It's pretty much a do or do not aid.

Are you saying there is no try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I bought both the wedge and 8 iron training aids last spring.  I use them both in my practice sessions and they work for my swing and game.  Between the two, I use the wedge most often, but then I also hit more regular wedges in my warm up and practice than longer clubs.  

A little background.  Two years ago my pro gave me a drill to improve my impact position and to help learn the feel of good contact.  I tended to get my weight too much to the right side and my hands even with or behind the ball at impact.  The drill involves hitting partial shots with my weight on the front foot.  Basically, I set up my weight 80% or so on the front foot, take a partial swing keeping most of the weight on the front foot and concentrate on solid contact.  The drill improved my ball striking dramatically. 

The problem with the drill is I can't rally take a full swing with it.  I started looking at the DST in hopes it would enforce the same skill, but with a fuller swing and  more natural set up.  I read all the reviews I could find and watched several videos on Youtube before I spent the money.  

One video was quite funny.  It showed a club pro trying the DST for the first time. He hit shanks on his first 10 or so swings and then finally got to hitting good shots.  My experience was the opposite.  I hit the club well the first time I tried it.  With it, I replicated the position I learned using the drill, but with a full swing.  For set up, I use the same set up as a regular shot, but with the hands forward.  

I no longer do the drill; I hit shots with the DST instead.  When I was working on the drill, I would do numerous repetitions to get into the correct position.  With the DST, I hit fewer shots, and spend much less time working on that part of my game, but with better results.  I will often include the DST in my normal club rotation:  I'll hit a wedge, grab a hybrid, then hit the DST, then grab a wood.  If I find myself getting into old habits, I may concentrate on the DST, but it doesn't happen very often.  

Over all, the DST is one of the few training aids that works as advertised and will definitely stay in my practice bag.  (One other such aid is the Orange whip).  

The clubs are pricey, but worth it to me.  YMMV.  As for which one to get, they both work.  The wedge is easier to hit when starting out.  The eight is closer to the "middle" of the bag. I hit a lot of wedges in practice.  If you concentrate on longer irons, the 8 iron may be better for you.  

Took mine out this morning but quickly had to put it away. The grip was so hard and slick I couldn't hang on to it. I'll re-grip it this week and give another try.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Thanks jbil. I searched Compressor but didn't come up with much. I did think that was odd given this crowd. I think I will go with the 8-iron since that is my go-to warm up club.

My wife found a 10% off code if anyone wants to get one

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

$100 for this thing compared to $90 for that Golf Slot Machine thingy -- this one is a comparative bargain...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Interesting DST news coming from this weekend.  Both Hideki Matsuyama and Danny Willet are DST Compressor users, and both won on the PGA Tour and European Tour respectively.

It's the 4th time in the past 12 months that DST users have done the double -- winning on both tours the same weekend.  In total, it's now 36 PGA/Euro tour wins for DST users, plus one victory on the LPGA tour.

More news to come, he said cryptically.....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So can anyone speak to whether there is any merit to the DST CR-10 clubs?  My second question is whether this really is an improvement to the Tour Striker.  I already have the Tour Striker 8 iron and wedge and know this is an area I need to work one.  I have interest in the compressor but really want to know if it is an improvement or not before shelling out any more money.  

Mulliganman here's my take on both clubs.

I've had a Tour Striker 7i for several years. I've used it off and on during this time. For me personally It's a much harder club to master. My DST is an 8i model. It's a piece of cake to hit. I've heard some say they shank the DST. I never have. I can hit clean pure shots with the DST over and over all day. Not so much with the Tour Striker. With the TS if you don't get a good shaft lean into the ball it ain't going nowhere. No so with the DST. I will say this.... after using the TS for a while on the practice tee and then switching to my normal club I feel more of a difference/improvement. I like the DST because it's easy but I might by a small margin give the Tour Striker a slight edge because your either deliver the club to the ball with proper hip rotation and forward shaft lean or you skull it.... or worm burn it. I can miss hit the DST and still pull of decent shots. But not with the TS.

You should still consider buying a DST if you're interested. It's a good training aid and I think you'd like it.

Mulliganman here's my take on both clubs.

I've had a Tour Striker 7i for several years. I've used it off and on during this time. For me personally It's a much harder club to master. My DST is an 8i model. It's a piece of cake to hit. I've heard some say they shank the DST. I never have. I can hit clean pure shots with the DST over and over all day. Not so much with the Tour Striker. With the TS if you don't get a good shaft lean into the ball it ain't going nowhere. No so with the DST. I will say this.... after using the TS for a while on the practice tee and then switching to my normal club I feel more of a difference/improvement. I like the DST because it's easy but I might by a small margin give the Tour Striker a slight edge because your either deliver the club to the ball with proper hip rotation and forward shaft lean or you skull it.... or worm burn it. I can miss hit the DST and still pull of decent shots. But not with the TS.

You should still consider buying a DST if you're interested. It's a good training aid and I think you'd like it.

Thanks for weighing in on the two. I have been confused because the official review on this site suggested the DST forces a proper pivot that the Tour Striker doesn't. So that's kind of why I am trying to see if the DST really brings something to the table the TS doesn't because I have invested a decent chunk of change in the 2014 TS 8 iron and PW. It is interesting that you said you have a much easier time with the DST. Another thing I've been wondering about is why are there so many Tour players using the DST and not the Tour Striker?

Yes, I hit my fair share of worm burners and skulls. I have used the clubs exclusively during range sessions. I always find it amusing at looks I get sometimes like man does this guy suck....

Thanks for weighing in on the two. I have been confused because the official review on this site suggested the DST forces a proper pivot that the Tour Striker doesn't. So that's kind of why I am trying to see if the DST really brings something to the table the TS doesn't because I have invested a decent chunk of change in the 2014 TS 8 iron and PW. It is interesting that you said you have a much easier time with the DST. Another thing I've been wondering about is why are there so many Tour players using the DST and not the Tour Striker?

Yes, I hit my fair share of worm burners and skulls. I have used the clubs exclusively during range sessions. I always find it amusing at looks I get sometimes like man does this guy suck....

The tour use of the DST is the main reason I am looking at it more seriously than the TS. It looks like there would be a difference between the wedge and the 8-iron. There is more curve in the wedge shaft relative to its length. More shank prone?

Most folks seem to have the wedge (at least based on MGS photos and folks on this forum). I was initially going to go with the 8-iron, but have been rethinking it since the wedge would be good for chipping practice too. 

The tour use of the DST is the main reason I am looking at it more seriously than the TS. It looks like there would be a difference between the wedge and the 8-iron. There is more curve in the wedge shaft relative to its length. More shank prone?

Most folks seem to have the wedge (at least based on MGS photos and folks on this forum). I was initially going to go with the 8-iron, but have been rethinking it since the wedge would be good for chipping practice too.

Did not know that more people here have the wedge. I would have figured the opposite. Yeah what accounts for the Tour Use for the DST especially when you have a poster in this thread saying it is much easier to hit than the Tour Striker? Are you aware of many opting for the CR-10 clubs too?

Did not know that more people here have the wedge. I would have figured the opposite. Yeah what accounts for the Tour Use for the DST especially when you have a poster in this thread saying it is much easier to hit than the Tour Striker? Are you aware of many opting for the CR-10 clubs too?

My assertion that the wedge is more popular is pretty unscientific. I just looked at a bunch of photos and I also has to do with the fact that I can't make up my mind about pretty much anything. I don't think anyone on the forum has indicated they bought/use the CR-10 (could be wrong). The DST website bills it as a transition to hitting a real iron but that seems a little gimmicky to me. All it does is force you into a forward press, which the website says should be your starting address position to keep the swing dynamics simpler. I am not interested in the CR-10 since I want to look like a weirdo with the curved DST.

Here's why the Tour Striker is more difficult. I can't post a pic at this time but go look at the head/face of the club then go look at a DST. With the TS there is roughly only about 1/2 of a normal club face from which to strike a ball. I have the 7i TS. Now look at the face of a DST. Again in my case I own the 8i model. It has a full club face. With the TS if you don't force a pronounced forward shaft lean you'll strike the ball with the lower portion of the club face which is rounded and you'll worm burn it. With the DST however, you have a full normal club face just like your regular club. The only difference being the curved shaft. The DST is easy to hit. The Tour Striker is not. For me anyway.

Here's why the Tour Striker is more difficult. I can't post a pic at this time but go look at the head/face of the club then go look at a DST. With the TS there is roughly only about 1/2 of a normal club face from which to strike a ball. I have the 7i TS. Now look at the face of a DST. Again in my case I own the 8i model. It has a full club face. With the TS if you don't force a pronounced forward shaft lean you'll strike the ball with the lower portion of the club face which is rounded and you'll worm burn it. With the DST however, you have a full normal club face just like your regular club. The only difference being the curved shaft. The DST is easy to hit. The Tour Striker is not. For me anyway.

I'll try to take a look at this later.  If you have time to post a pic sometime, I would like to see the comparison.  Why do you think there are Tour players using the DST and you don't hear of anyone using the Tour Striker? 

Mulligan... just go to tour striker dot com. You'll easily see the club and how the head and face are designed. Then go to DST and do the same comparison. You'll see.

I have both clubs. TS 7i and DST 8i. They are both good training aids. They both take a different approach in trying to teach how to strike a ball with compression using forward shaft lean. I can't say definitively that one is better than the other. What I can say is the DST is easier to hit.

I've thought about taking an old iron and a grinder and making my own tour striker style club just to see if it'll work. I'll let y'all know if I go through with it and if it works

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Well it might Ethan. However.... go take a look at the TS closely. It's got a pronounced roundness to the lower 1/3 of the face-sole area. Mine is down at the office or I'd post a pic. But I think you'll get the idea.

Is the DST CR-10 just a Tour Striker? I am seriously thinking about just buying both, one as a wedge and one as a 7-8 iron.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455366835.177918.jpg

Here is a pic of the face of the tour striker

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Is the DST CR-10 just a Tour Striker? I am seriously thinking about just buying both, one as a wedge and one as a 7-8 iron.

The CR-10 does not have a face similar to the TS. It has a straight shaft instead of a curved shaft. It does still have the line up aids that get your hands ahead of the ball. The impression I get is that you use it after you've used the regular curved DST.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I am leaning heavily towards the dst. I have a tour striker, bought it before I started lessons and was able to hit it well. I think it's easier to cheat. Gonna talk to my coach before purchase to make sure this is something I could benefit from.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived