Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Butch Harmon - Hit That Low, Spinning Wedge Shot

Found while scrolling through Facebook this morning...

Now only if this the damn spring would come early...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Spring? I'd be happy with just consistent weather.  3 weekends ago, we had snow and ice on the ground.  2 weekends ago, it was 67 degrees. last weekend it was 48 with 30mph winds. Today, it is snowing.  

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

That's a great video.  I like how Harmon explains things in a simple manner that's easy to understand.  So many instructors make things so darn technical.....all people get is confused.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Butch said, "Feel the right hand working against the left", "Feel a little pop in it," and "don't be scoopy".

To do all this, I went to a baseball grip years ago. (After I wrote about the "Happy Gilmore Grip" in a thread on this forum.) I still use the 10 finger grip in putting and chipping and pitching. I find that it really helps me retain the forward shaft lean until after contact.

The "Happy Gilmore" grip for those who did not read it, don't remember, or don't want to waste the effort to look it up, was simply to hold the wedge like a hockey stick and use a constant body rotational speed and vary the length to determine the length of the hit. And do not flip at or scoop the ball.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and practiced it a little. I've never been much of a "checker" with the ball. But there are times when you need to be I think. (Boast alert coming) Just this past Sunday while I was playing and preparing to hit my 3rd shot to a par five. At the time I said I need to sort of skip this one in low and see if I can get it to check-up close. I was about 60 yards out. But didn't want any type of full shot. So I hit the shot as planned and ..... Wow! I did it. It skipped and checked then went in. Eagle! It was lucky for sure. This is the second time this year I've holed a shot from the fairway. Both times attempting to hit the shot like Butch is demonstrating. I really need to practice this so I can have better confidence when the shot calls for it. Oh.... I've also skulled a couple too and ended up worse off than before. So be careful.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 11 months later...

One thought from that video... How much did it cost to spend that time with Butch???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Archived