Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

FootJoy - "shoe fitting"

furu

Read the FJ article - http://www.mygolfspy.com/footjoy-performance-fitting/

70% with the wrong size is most likely complete nonsense. I have no reason to believe that we - both those who sell shoes and golfers who use them - are that stupid. FJ needs to get down from their pedestal.

Should be trust a company that makes a shoe with this shape? Show me just one person with a foot shaped like this.

reviewstance2.jpg

Here's the FJ shoe fitting tool. No tour edition yet.

45008-2.jpg?1407066280

Thanks furu,  I believe I already have the tool. Nice marketing ploy to sell more shoes at top dollar prices.......I loaded up a few years back when a local Edwin Watts went out of business......still have a pair of Dryjoys Tour not worn.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I don't really have an issue with their 70% claim.  As an adult, when was the last time you actually had your feet measured?  How long have you just been buying the same size shoe because that's what you've always worn?  Did you know that as you get older your feet get bigger?  

I can comfortably wear most shoes between 10.5 - 11.5 depending on model.  I've never been sized for width either.  I'm guessing I would be in the 70% wearing the wrong size, even though they are comfy and work.

What I'd like to know more about is the 3MPH claim.  What percentage of golfers actually picked up 3MPH from switching shoes?  How far off were those golfers?  Are the claims the same for getting the size correct vs getting the proper type of footwear correct?  What was the average gain vs the max claim?

It comes down to this, if you give me 10 more yards I'm going to be buying new shoes.  I'm fairly skeptical that your average joe golfer is going to see this just from switching shoes though.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

i think it's very possible to see some performance gains switching to the right shoe. Having just gotten insoles made for my shoes I've already noticed less pain in my feet after working all day.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Not sure if the right shoes can make a difference, but I'm with hckeymeyer -- it wouldn't surprise me at all if people wear the wrong size shoes.  I went to the adidas event when they launched the Tour360 Boost shoe and they were doing digital foot scans - a sort of 3D computer imaging of your feet to get the true size. 

I'd been wearing a size 11 since the Carter administration -and they told me my left foot was really an 11.5 and my right foot was now a 12.  Which made sense because every time I would try on new shoes the left one would usually feel okay but the right one would pinch.  Now I look for size 12's...

They guy the measured right after me was the opposite -- left was a 12 and the right was an 11.5 -- we figured we should swap left shoes  :rolleyes:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

A few years back I was trying out some True Linkswear shoes low to the ground, light, comfortable yet I didn't feel "anchored" while swinging. (We can still anchor our feet, just not the putter) Basically couldn't hit the ball with those things on.

I decided to go find something else and while trying on FJ Dry joys it was quickly evident that I felt much more stable and anchored. Bought them and next time out ball striking improved immediately.

Of course, there are many factors which could affect clubhead speed. Tight clothes, worn out grips, spikes, gloves, etc.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Not sure if the right shoes can make a difference, but I'm with hckeymeyer -- it wouldn't surprise me at all if people wear the wrong size shoes. I went to the adidas event when they launched the Tour360 Boost shoe and they were doing digital foot scans - a sort of 3D computer imaging of your feet to get the true size.

I'd been wearing a size 11 since the Carter administration -and they told me my left foot was really an 11.5 and my right foot was now a 12. Which made sense because every time I would try on new shoes the left one would usually feel okay but the right one would pinch. Now I look for size 12's...

They guy the measured right after me was the opposite -- left was a 12 and the right was an 11.5 -- we figured we should swap left shoes :rolleyes:

So do you have two different size shoes?

And when will companies start offering multi size pairs?

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

So do you have two different size shoes?

And when will companies start offering multi size pairs?

Some will let you custom order different sizes already.  

Some will let you custom order different sizes already.

Well sweet. My next pair I'll have to try and get it done. Gotta get that 3mph ya know

For the longest time I wore a 13 wide and thought it was a good fit. One day I put my foot on a Brannock Device and found I should be wearing a 14C or 14 medium to slightly narrow. Also a 14.5 would be perfect but 15 is much too large.

Holy cow did it make a world of difference for my feet!

So the general feeling is that we actually believe in FootJoy? 

A company that makes money selling shoes, is saying that 70% of golfers have the wrong size and needs new shoes........ 

I'll smack you in the head of you don't get this guys. 

Golfers are weak. We do not believe in ourselves. You know what fits your foot better than FJ and a computer. This insecurity must be based in the difficulty of the game we play. Playing golf is a humbling experience that puts even the meaning of life into perspective. If I wanted to sell something - I'd use it for all it's worth.

Trust me on this - you are the only one who knows if your shoes fit.

A company that makes money selling shoes, is saying that 70% of golfers have the wrong size and needs new shoes........ 

Golfers are weak. We do not believe in ourselves. You know what fits your foot better than FJ and a computer. This insecurity must be based in the difficulty of the game we play. Playing golf is a humbling experience that puts even the meaning of life into perspective. If I wanted to sell something - I'd use it for all it's worth.

Well, all I can say is for years I've had trouble finding shoes that fit well.  For golf, it was True Linkswear or Ecco in a size 11.  Couldn't wear an adidas or a Nike.  Buying any kind of sneaker or shoe was always a chore - but like a doofus I firmly believed I was an 11, because that's what I was when I was 19.  The foot scan at adidas was an eye opener -- 11.5 in the left and 12 on the right - and that's been confirmed when I recently bought a pair of dress shoes for work.

So I wear a 12 in some makes, 11.5 in others and 11 in some others - it really depends. Call it what you will, but over the past 37 years either shoes shrunk or my feet got a little bigger.  I have absolutely no freaking idea whether shoes can make you hit the ball farther -- but back in my youth we were told they could make you run faster and jump higher (thank you, Keds!  Or was it PF Flyer?)

Maybe it's like shafts - one company's stiff is similar to another company's regular.  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well, all I can say is for years I've had trouble finding shoes that fit well. For golf, it was True Linkswear or Ecco in a size 11. Couldn't wear an adidas or a Nike. Buying any kind of sneaker or shoe was always a chore - but like a doofus I firmly believed I was an 11, because that's what I was when I was 19. The foot scan at adidas was an eye opener -- 11.5 in the left and 12 on the right - and that's been confirmed when I recently bought a pair of dress shoes for work.

So I wear a 12 in some makes, 11.5 in others and 11 in some others - it really depends. Call it what you will, but over the past 37 years either shoes shrunk or my feet got a little bigger. I have absolutely no freaking idea whether shoes can make you hit the ball farther -- but back in my youth we were told they could make you run faster and jump higher (thank you, Keds! Or was it PF Flyer?)

Maybe it's like shafts - one company's stiff is similar to another company's regular.

I can agree with this. For me any sport I've played I always had issues with shoes. When I used to play a lot more basketball I had the worst time finding shoes to play in.

For a while I only played in Jordan's because they had good support for my extremely flat feet. And it wasn't multiple pairs either. It took me buying a few pairs to find a new playing shoes. The same has been for golf, I've been playing in the TW13s because nothing else has given me the right feel yet. I don't believe in the 3mph gain but if I can find a new shoe that lets me swing freely I'll gladly take it.

Believe in the benefit claims that Footjoy is making?  I'm skeptical.

Believe that the majority of people are wearing the wrong size shoe?  As Mythbusters would say "It's plausible"  Just because a pair of shoes is comfortable doesn't mean they are the correct size.  

They also made the claim that 1/3 of people will benefit from a more supportive shoe.  1/3 would benefit from a more flexible shoe and 1/3 won't make a difference.  So basically without being tested you have a 2/3'rds shot at getting it right.  I don't have a problem with this claim either.

Again while I'm skeptical of the speed claims, I kind of look at it in a similar way to buying a club off the rack.  Getting properly fit for clubs has tangible benefits.  Off the rack will work for some people, and many just don't care and call it good enough.  I don't see why shoes are any different other than having a higher percentage of people that will call off the rack good enough.

I agree with Furu.......

If I am buying shoes from a big box store there are two things I ALWAYS DO:

1.  Put on the shoe size I think I wear and go 1/2 size Up and Down

2.  I always head over to the "Sims" and take a couple of swings with the shoes on to see how stable they feel.

Whatever pair/size feels the best to  >>>>ME

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I don't believe in performance gains from shoes but I do believe in comfort gains from a proper fit.

How many people have used a Brannock device to purchase their last few pairs of shoes?

What device is that?

What about "glove fitting"? Equally useless? Or science? 

Here's how a "glove fitting" works;

Seller: "What size do you use?"

Golfer: "M/L"

Seller gives golfer an M/L glove.

Seller: "How does it fit?"

Golfer: "It's a little too tight. Can I try an L?"

Seller: "Here you go. Is that better?"

Golfer: "Yes. Thank you."

Gives seller money. Goes out. Plays golf.

It's freakin unbelievable witchcraft dude!

I can't find any shoe that fits well. My left foot is approx. 1/2 size bigger. If it fits my left foot, my right foot is swimming in it. if it fits my right foot, my left is cramped. I just opt for the larger size and live with it.

I really doubt there is any performance gain with a "correct" fitting shoe. I'm sure stability is of some importance, but I'm not buying into the increased speed BS.

Yep, this is not at the top of the list of crap that I'm buying into. If I can comfortably walk a round of golf and feel stable when I swing then I don't need to get any more in depth.

How about spikes that last longer than 2 months? I'd buy into that.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I can't find any shoe that fits well. My left foot is approx. 1/2 size bigger. If it fits my left foot, my right foot is swimming in it. if it fits my right foot, my left is cramped. I just opt for the larger size and live with it.

I really doubt there is any performance gain with a "correct" fitting shoe. I'm sure stability is of some importance, but I'm not buying into the increased speed BS.

What size are you talking about? My right is larger than my left by half a size -- if you're in the 11.5 to 12 range, maybe we can work something out.....  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived