Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Driver Fitting

PlaidJacket,

I am not surprised that once you switched the shafts the R15 was working much better for you. I was fit by one of the best fitters in Vancouver for the first time 5 years ago. He always said that 90% of the club was the shaft. I came into him having the old Adams 9064LS with a Proforce V2 X flex, initially on his trackman indoors was hitting it approximately 280ish with a 112 average swing speed. By changing the shaft to an Accra Tour z he gave me 20 yards in about 30 minutes. Absolutely amazing!

Just to clarify.

There is no doubt that a correctly fitted shaft can enhance the stats of any players swing - and it remains as the only transmission point between player and clubhead. The length and weight of the shaft alone account for the greater majority of fitting parameters available to a fitter.

But 90% of the total club performance data (i.e. what the ball does) was down to the shaft alone? I don't think so. 90% of the time spent by a customer selecting the end product perhaps. 

It's difficult to quantify which part the shaft played in the total driving stats of a player (given that the fit is good) but it's also important to remember than once a level of user error is finite, the shaft itself probably accounts for less than 5% of what the ball actually did after being struck. This is where robotic testing actually proves something for a change  :D

I'm catching up on some reading and knew what was coming from Jaskanski after reading the 90 percent and shaft post earlier.

There was a great MGS test posted on the blog a few years back that suggested that its 50/50 between head and shaft and I would expect that there is far more to all of it if you were to break all the numbers down to grip, ball, etc, etc, etc. 

Because shafts were ignored for so long extreme statements were made about them once they got into the game. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Jaskanski,

Definitely understand what you mean. I am sure he was using it as a generalization to get me to think outside of just the clubhead. 

In my fitting we are talking all variables such as length, weight, grip, ball, etc being equal. All that was changed was shaft and the difference was amazing not just distance wise but dispersion as well.

Again completely agree with you and revkev that it isn't 90% but is a large piece of the puzzle for getting the best fit

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Archived