TESTERS WANTED! ×

Game Golf Live

I recently purchased Game Golf Live to do a review for a golf magazine. Yes - paid for it. Like I usually do when it comes to gadgets. 

Game Golf Live (GGL) is more expensive than Game Golf Classic (GGC). The question for me was if the new features warrant the nearly 100% increase in price.

3_zpsolpohbgt.jpeg

Rangefinder - Surprisingly useful. Dragging the marker to different locations is intuitive and quick. You get distance to target and remaining distance to the green. Didn't use it on the first hole. Was sure I didn't need it was going to hate it. Wrong. Used it all the time.

On-course stats - This is not what GG is made for. At least that's my opinion. Analyzing the stats after the round to learn seems like a better idea than trying to draw conclusions based on a few shots during one round. 

In round editing - I love this! Was sure I wasn't going to use it. I'm an idiot. My game-golf-life was incomplete before this. It's so easy to use and helpful that it's almost worth the cost alone. After round editing on GGC is so 2015.

Real time/post round syncing - The app works great. Easy to sync. Nice feature, not important.

I'll admit it. I'm still a child. Love gadgets. I'm 40 years old. Grew up with Philips video games on cartridge. The car game was two squares making 90 degree turns around a big square. My generation moved on to tapes and Commodore 64. If you haven't played Summer Games you haven't truly lived. And Amiga! What a floppy-disc-beast! Never paid for one game - pirates in 1989. That's why I'm not surprised that I loved seeing the green lines pop up on the screen after hitting the shots. It was like a personal shot tracker. Live. I guess that's where the "Live" part comes in...... 

I want it to really be Live. I want a website where my friends can watch each shot I hit while it happens. Wouldn't that be cool?

I recommended GGC for the avid golfer. I still do because of the extra work you need to do to actually use the stats. GGL is relevant for the avid golfer, and everyone who enjoys the game and are a little bit egocentric. After all - you have to love yourself and your game a lot to follow your own round on a mobile phone while playing. I was expecting the market for GGL to be even narrower than GGC, but it's actually the opposite.

Will I keep it? I want to. Problem is that I need the money to buy Nike Chukka, because people are asking me to write a review. I don't get stuff for free, so I'll have to sell GGL.

I write for 100.000+ readers in one of the largest golf magazines in Europe. Example of how my life is; Asked Shot Scope for a demo unit that I could return after 1-2 weeks. No. Same story with most other products. Good thing is that readers can never doubt my objetivity. 

I've used CaddieON, GGC and Arccos before. Course played with GGL was Meland GK - melandgolf.no. One of the most demanding courses in Europe (slope 153, CR 73.9). 

2_zps0fd7wua0.jpeg

Just the guy I wanted to talk to! Haha.

I just recently dove into the review world of these devices and left purchasing Arccos. I previous was a GGC guy, and honestly the tagging aspect was just really annoying. So I bought Arccos.

Living in the northeast of the US, I haven't had a chance to game the system yet. But I'm excited to see what it has to offer.

Any thoughts on the comparisons of the two? Both for me personally and the crew here at MGS.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Arccos

- misreads, like when you carry clubs

- the size

- community is not developed compared to GG

- battery life is just ok if you don't remove tags while hitting shots on the range

- round editing is not as good as GGL

+ no tagging 

That's basically it. The only reason why you would choose Arccos is if you hate the GG box.

Using GGL was a lot easier than GGC. I did forget to tag sometimes. Didn't bother me, because I know it would take three seconds to correct it in the app after I hit the next shot. 

Tagging works like a trigger for me when putting. Not equally comfortable with it on regular shots. I had to change my routine. Doesn't bother me though. Most important factor is how easy it is to fix missed shots.

• 1 month later...

do you find the belt clip thing distracting to wear for GG?  I can't stand to have anything in my pockets when i play besides a tee and a ball marker.  I know with arccos you have to carry your phone in your pocket, that's out all together for me.

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Not to poo-poo the GG thing but I didn't like the tagging. Sold mine. Distracting to me also. To be fair...I was an early adopter and it had a ton of bugs and editing after rounds took a long time. But still the tagging. Ugh. I wouldn't mind a single sensor that I can transfer between clubs for practice on the course - distance readings. I'm not interested in "sharing" or any social aspects. Just data.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

How about something like Arccos driver?

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

How about something like Arccos driver?

I forgot about that. I just looked it up. $80 for a pre-order. April launch they say. I suppose you can put that sensor on any club. Don't see why not.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Yeah i don't see why you couldn't! I doubt they'll make a completely separate app for people to use, so that may be the perfect storm to practice with!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

• 2 months later...

I've been using the Game Golf Live for the last few months and really enjoy it. At first the tagging did seem annoying but I made myself turn it into part of my preshot routine and now I'm golden. I've played a few rounds without it recently and find myself trying to tag because I forgot I wasn't wearing it. The other cool part is that a friend of mine bought GGL as well, so we can look at each others rounds later and trash talk about things like who had the longest drive or who putted the worst (Usually me as I hang my head in shame).

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I have the regular version of Game Golf and if I am playing in a group Game Golf adds "unknown shots" if I stop and wait for someone in the group to hit their shot. I have to go back and deleted on average 25 shots per round.

Have you had any issues like that with the Game Golf Live?

I have not had that issue but there have been some errors, like when it records things on the wrong hole. The errors are far and few though. What I like about the Live system is that you can fix the issue right away, on your phone, before you leave the course.

One quick question related to this type of technology.

Is there a way to extract the data once it has been input? If not, do they compute strokes gained or similar statistics for you (that's what I would want to be doing)?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Mini

Hybrids: Adams Tight Lie (3)

Irons: 5-A Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 (56/60)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX 1

CC... Game Golf doesn't do Strokes Gained... or Lost.

• 5 months later...

They do have strokes gained vs different handicap levels under the "insight" section of gamegolf. I just view everything on their website or the app so I've never tried to export data. This is the section where I figure out how bad my short game is and how much I'm saved by my shots off the tee and my approach shots. My putting is atrocious.

2016-11-21_8-10-13.png

Archived