Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tiger Woods is done... Hate to say it but the back is toast

RookieBlue7

Sad day to say it, but Tiger Woods is toast. He's done. He'll never be the same. There, I've admitted it, finally. After the news came out today, I can admit it to myself that my favorite golfer I've ever seen life and in person is truly done. His back has become his nemesis. And his weight training, while revolutionizing the game, has become his downfall. Reports recently came out that he can't even sit down comfortably, drives with his seat fully reclined, etc. When the back goes, the game goes. And for his sake, I hope he has the foresight to not return to competitive golf. Even if he gets feeling back and the pain subsides or disappears, there's no reason to risk reinjury. He has 2 young children and for his sake, I hope he hangs em up and enjoys raising them. Sad day, but all eras come to an end. And being the second best golfer of all time is nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/if-you-were-counting-on-a-miraculous-tiger-woods-return-its-not-happening-anytime-soon

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Relax this might not be true TW agent Mark Steinberg states these are fails allegations. http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/agent-denies-woods-suffered-setback/?cid=twitter-gc-a-agent-denies-woods-suffered-setback-022216

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The reporter, Robert Lusetich and the agent, Mark Steinberg, are having a Twitter snit.   The agent has Tiger's financial interests, the reporter, he reports., who, why, what, where, etc. 

I usually believe the person who has the least to lose money-wise, that would be the reporter.  The agent and his client could lose a lot.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Btw, the reporter wasn't the first with the story. Secret Tour Pro was, and he's hit pretty much every equipment sponsor change this offseason before they were announced

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I would say that it is a combination of the weight training and the violence of his golf swing in general. When I was growing up in the game the reverse c was the thing. Now my Dad was not only a golf pro but had been an athletic trainer at one time. He told me that that reverse c was going to cause problems and look at the long list with reverse c players that had problems. Now Tiger never did an extreme reverse c but something else my old man told me was that a violent golf swing would cause injuries down the road. Look at how Tiger used to snap that left leg and knee problems resulted.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Back problems and surgeries are no joke. I've seen it. But, I'm not throwing away Tiger's return yet. Common advice from my father growing up was believe half of what you see and a quarter of what you hear. Until I hear it from the man himself that he's done, I put no weight on any of this.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

DLIII and Notah say otherwise.......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I'm not going to hit any likes here because this is a reality that dawned on me before the five iron through the window or the back. Like Sneed, Palmer and Watson it was the putter that failed him first. Everything else has obscured that.

I'm not going to hit any likes because this is one of four or five Mount Rushmore players and certainly one of the two unanimous ones. I've been blessed to watch both Jack and Tiger and honestly I don't know which was better. Jack was more of a machine, Tiger more of an artist and both could finish because they holed their putts when they needed to.

Im going to be controversial and more so because Jack was my favorite golfer perhaps even favorite athlete of all time. Tiger did more for the game than Jack. The dollars that people play for today are Tiger related. The number of great young players are Tiger related and the boom that golf experienced was so Tiger related that his decline as a player and his personal issues have brought along with them a decline in the number of people playing the Sport. Sure there are other factors but Tiger made golf cool and then suddenly not.

Tiger at his peak was Arnie and Jack combined. It's a shame that his putter gave out like Arnie's and his back was far worse than Jack's.

Good thread Rookie, I'm glad to get that off my chest. When are you coming to Flirida so that we can raise a glass to the fallen Champion?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm not going to hit any likes here because this is a reality that dawned on me before the five iron through the window or the back. Like Sneed, Palmer and Watson it was the putter that failed him first. Everything else has obscured that.

I'm not going to hit any likes because this is one of four or five Mount Rushmore players and certainly one of the two unanimous ones. I've been blessed to watch both Jack and Tiger and honestly I don't know which was better. Jack was more of a machine, Tiger more of an artist and both could finish because they holed their putts when they needed to.

Im going to be controversial and more so because Jack was my favorite golfer perhaps even favorite athlete of all time. Tiger did more for the game than Jack. The dollars that people play for today are Tiger related. The number of great young players are Tiger related and the boom that golf experienced was so Tiger related that his decline as a player and his personal issues have brought along with them a decline in the number of people playing the Sport. Sure there are other factors but Tiger made golf cool and then suddenly not.

Tiger at his peak was Arnie and Jack combined. It's a shame that his putter gave out like Arnie's and his back was far worse than Jack's.

Good thread Rookie, I'm glad to get that off my chest. When are you coming to Flirida so that we can raise a glass to the fallen Champion?

I'll hit the like button for ya....  great post Rev

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Back problems and surgeries are no joke. I've seen it. But, I'm not throwing away Tiger's return yet. Common advice from my father growing up was believe half of what you see and a quarter of what you hear. Until I hear it from the man himself that he's done, I put no weight on any of this.

Agreed, I had a micro discectomy (L4-L5 region) 3 years ago myself.  It was about 7 to 8 months before I was able to play again. But, it took almost a year and half before I was completely pain free riding In a golf cart, big bumps were torture, like someone sticking a pin in your back. 

I hope he comes back, he is still draws the largest crowds to the PGA events and I am a big fan of his.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

With all due respect Rex coming back and playing recreational golf once a week is not the same as the daily grind of the PGA. More at accomplishment on your part BTW.

And then Tiger would still have the putter issue and the fact that he's lost his mental edge. It's too big of an ask even for him.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

and this:  bit.ly/1QcqJRq 

Secret Tour Pro......... hahahahahaha

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Glad to hear he's making progress.

I still believe in a comeback! :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Put this in your pipe and smoke it! Tweeted by TW minutes ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tigerwoods/status/702492113188032512

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I feel like this is a very Tiger-esque response. Although there is no way to prove that isn't an old video I suppose. Hopefully he is progressing well. I would like to see some more decent golf from him. Even if he doesn't have the old magic anymore he could help the game if he was a top 15 or 20 player.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I feel like this is a very Tiger-esque response. Although there is no way to prove that isn't an old video I suppose. 

If you look at his shoes you can see they look like his older style models but with the updated free style sole

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If you look at his shoes you can see they look like his older style models but with the updated free style sole

Good Catch .......

IF you look at the screen it says TW_2_24_16,  coincidence ???????

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Leave it to Theoo to notice a dudes shoes.

Its what I do

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Its what I do

I just got both colors of the Chukkas in yesterdays mail ........  :)

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I just got both colors of the Chukkas in yesterdays mail ........ :)

Send me on feet pics please and thank you lol

Good Catch .......

IF you look at the screen it says TW_2_24_16,  coincidence ???????

Impressive catch Theo!

And good call on the date in the upper left hand side. It was too small for me to see that on my phone.

A couple swings in a hitting bay means he is slowly starting to recover. When it If he comes back, I hope you Tiger lovers understand that he will likely not compete in the tournaments that he enters. Being out there is one thing, bit at the top of the leaderboards is another. If he continues to force his body into an unnatural swing, he will not be out there very long, he needs to find a natural swing, one that doesn't put so much stress on certain parts of the body. There are hundreds of golfers that have been playing for a long time that have never had any knee or back issues, you cannot force your body to things it's not meant to do, and expect it not to break down. I would like to see Tiger back out there, but I just want to see him get beat badly every week, until he decides to leave the game. Gold doesn't need tiger anymore, and I don't want to watch ever swing the guy takes.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

There is no such thing as a "natural golf swing." The act of swing a golf club is not natural to our bodies. We just make them do it.

I disagree, you can swing a golf club just as naturally as you can swing a hammer, when you over rotate and make your knees over torque, you are forcing your body to do unnatural things, and when you change that unnatural movement Over and over to try to find a way to make a little ball fly the way you envision it, your body says no, I can't take it and it breaks down, the body also is not made to do those repetitive things over and over and over that's why many of us have issues as well. Tiger woods was willing to do whatever it took to be the and also to continue to be the best, and he paid for it, you all can say what you want about it, he broke himself by doing what he did, and it looks like Rory is headed that way. Remember back when David Dubal was on top, he started an extreme work out regiment and you never really heard from him again, he lost the swing that was natural to him. It is what it is, if Tiger makes it back, good for him but he's not going to be the same as everyone remembers, because he can't put his body through it. This is my opinion of he whole thing. It may be wrong. That's just the way I see it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Great Dinner Party host by Jack last night.....Note: TW is in the picture!

https://twitter.com/search?q=jack%20nicklaus&src=tyah

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It's still about the Putter even if he beats the odds with his back. I'd love to have Jack come back at Arnie too, I'm going with none of the above and will let posterity determine between Jack and Tiger. I lean Jack by a thread.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I disagree, you can swing a golf club just as naturally as you can swing a hammer, when you over rotate and make your knees over torque, you are forcing your body to do unnatural things, and when you change that unnatural movement Over and over to try to find a way to make a little ball fly the way you envision it, your body says no, I can't take it and it breaks down, the body also is not made to do those repetitive things over and over and over that's why many of us have issues as well. Tiger woods was willing to do whatever it took to be the and also to continue to be the best, and he paid for it, you all can say what you want about it, he broke himself by doing what he did, and it looks like Rory is headed that way. Remember back when David Dubal was on top, he started an extreme work out regiment and you never really heard from him again, he lost the swing that was natural to him. It is what it is, if Tiger makes it back, good for him but he's not going to be the same as everyone remembers, because he can't put his body through it. This is my opinion of he whole thing. It may be wrong. That's just the way I see it.

Now your starting to sound like brandel chamblee's idiotic self(Sorry everyone but I severely dislike Brandel). There is very little that is natural about swinging a golf club. Tigers swing was particularly violent and was not good for his body. Combine that with a training routine that was possibly flawed and being injury prone throughout his life and you get this result.

Rory on the other hand has a much different training routine. People get all freaked out but to be honest the weight that he is lifting isn't all that impressive. Anyone who has been around sports at collegiate level can probably lift what Rory is lifting. Rory isn't maxing out, most of what he does are for reps. Plus he does tons of stretching and explosive work. If you don't think the other top guys aren't doing somewhat similar stuff then your wrong bc they are in some form or fashion. That's just athletics today. The others just aren't as public about it and prolly don't enjoy it as much as Rory does.

The golf swing isn't natural just like throwing a baseball isn't natural. I can make my body do both and it will. Doesn't mean it's a natural motion.

Me, my exercise physiology degree, Rory and his many trainers and physio's will have to all disagree with you on this part. Here I'll let Rory explain. Screenshot_2016-02-27-18-08-17.png

It's still about the Putter even if he beats the odds with his back. I'd love to have Jack come back at Arnie too, I'm going with none of the above and will let posterity determine between Jack and Tiger. I lean Jack by a thread.

We will never see anytime resembling old Tiger again. But I would be happy with a top 20 or 30 player. Its a long shot but you never know.

Archived