TESTERS WANTED! ×

tone of Recent Articles

alfriday101

The articles on this site have always had an irreverent/sarcastic tone to them.  But recently, the tone of articles seems to have shifted.  They seem more vitriolic.

Look at the article on the Pebble Beach tournament and the article on Japanese clubs.  It's one thing to have some fun in a review; it's something else to refer to to a tournament as a "total s*** show" and the readers who may disagree with an article as "Just Dumb Man."  

Is this a new direction for the site?   I hope not.  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more observation.  In my post above, the "S" word is censored, even though it is a quote from an article in which it is not censored.  If words need to be censored in the forums, perhaps they likewise should not be used or should be censored in the articles.  

Just saying'.  

Wow! I had to look that word up....."vitriolic"

I am a 65 year old college graduate and have never heard that word before.  I guess I am traveling in different circles.

As for the articles on the Blog........they are filled with inherent humor, for sure....I don't think I would go so far as to say they are "violent hate and anger expressed through severe criticism" as expressed in the Cambridge English Dictionary.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I am a 65 year old college graduate and have never heard that word before.  I guess I am traveling in different circles.

As for the articles on the Blog........they are filled with inherent humor, for sure....I don't think I would go so far as to say they are "violent hate and anger expressed through severe criticism" as expressed in the Cambridge English Dictionary.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

• SPY VIP

It's one thing to have some fun in a review; it's something else to refer to to a tournament as a "total s*** show" and the readers who may disagree with an article as "Just Dumb Man."  

Out of fairness to the author, Chris Nickel, it should be pointed out that he didn't say that anyone who disagrees is Just Dumb, Man.

The actual quote is " if you don't take the time to become a critical consumer of information, you're Just Dumb Man."

Which I suppose if I were to rephrase in a more agreeable tone, translates to "it's foolish not to look deeper into the information you are given".

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Al - MGS is never for the faint of heart.  I think that lots of folks misunderstood the Blog post about Pebble Beach.  It seems to me that the Author's point was that the tournament plays into a common public perception about Golf and that Golf at least at its official level should stop pretending to be something that it's not.  It is exclusive in some ways.  That's what I gleaned -

I wasn't a big fan of today's Blog post.  I agreed with the author's point but would have liked to have had more data.  How about head to heads with different pieces of equipment to see if the Japanese claims measure up.  That seems to be more like what we usually get.

Regardless the beauty of this forum is that you are free to express your opinion, no one will take it down and you'll get some interaction and perhaps push back or agreement with what you have to say. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks Foz man you saved me the trouble and made me feel better. I thought maybe I was ignorant because I had no idea what it meant and had never heard or seen the word before. Who says MGS is not educational!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thanks Foz man you saved me the trouble and made me feel better. I thought maybe I was ignorant because I had no idea what it meant and had never heard or seen the word before. Who says MGS is not educational!

Hahahahaah!

You and me BOTH.  I thought it was another name for "Lady Parts"......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

One reason I belong to this site is because I generally enjoy the articles.  Ironically, I pretty much agree with both the articles I cited in the OP.  Nevertheless, the articles left a bad taste in my mouth.  If it's not the content, then what?  All I could come up with was the over all tone of the articles, which to my ear are grating/harsh/insulting instead of humorous.  The Pebble Beach article generated a large number of comments.  I wonder how many were egged on by the tone of the article as much as the content.   

Well MGS has always called it like it is and has never 'sugar coated" anything as long as I have been on here.

Now to your defense I did not agree with that author at all. He has missed the boat some again IMHO. To me again IMHO he does not know squat about JDM clubs especially Miura but that is his opinion. And you certainly have a right to yours.

In a nutshell--- I may not agree with your opinion but I will stand by you and fight to the death if need be for your right to express it. This comes from a Southern Redneck US Navy veteran

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I just went over there and gave him the big picture in my opinion--- And yes Rev I was nice  about it but made my point

G

Well... Alfriday said what I've been thinking for some time. I just didn't want to say anything for fear of reprisal or a beat-down by TC. That's Tony Covey. There have been several articles written by him that I though were crude; classless. Other times he seemed to have an arrogant tone that if you don't agree with him you're an idiot. I know I've said a few things in the forum that may have chapped a few. So, I guess the pot can't entirely call the kettle black. However, MGS thinks they are different, edgy, smarter, better, etc. than other golf sites. Maybe. Maybe not. I read many other golf sites. Overall I enjoy the forum mostly. The Blog - not so much.

What I enjoy most is right here....in the forum/community. I've met (virtually speaking) quite a few guys I enjoy reading their comments and posts. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy even more meeting them in person and playing golf with them.

Glad you made this post Alfriday.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with Rev 100%. Couldn't have said it any better.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

• SPY VIP

Well... Alfriday said what I've been thinking for some time. I just didn't want to say anything for fear of reprisal or a beat-down by TC. That's Tony Covey. There have been several articles written by him that I though were crude; classless. Other times he seemed to have an arrogant tone that if you don't agree with him you're an idiot. I know I've said a few things in the forum that may have chapped a few. So, I guess the pot can't entirely call the kettle black. However, MGS thinks they are different, edgy, smarter, better, etc. than other golf sites. Maybe. Maybe not. I read many other golf sites. Overall I enjoy the forum mostly. The Blog - not so much.

What I enjoy most is right here....in the forum/community. I've met (virtually speaking) quite a few guys I enjoy reading their comments and posts. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy even more meeting them in person and playing golf with them.

Several articles? Man, can you provide me with a complete list of occasions where you've been put-off by something I've written? Feel free to include this one.

Seriously though, I get it. Crude...you sound like my mother, but yeah, I get that, but I don't choose my words carelessly, especially the four-letter ones. I get email about the language. I also get email saying it's ridiculous how worked up people get about the language. Like everything else, 2 sides, neither of which should apologize. If the occasional f-bomb is a deal-breaker for you, I'm definitely not your guy.

Classless...I'd say that's unfair, and there's probably a generational component at play, but your opinion is yours to hold and to share. We won't stop you.

Ultimately people will think what they will, and I can't worry about that. I'll always hang my hat on my integrity and my reputation among those who know me and work with me (and even against me).

Arrogance/Confidence, that's a fine line for sure, whatever label you want to saddle me with is fine, but understand that either is a byproduct of a job that requires fearlessness. I checked, I'm 76 pages deep...nearly 600 articles written on MyGolfSpy. Each and every one comes with the acceptance that somebody...or a lot of somebody's aren't going to agree, and may even take offence. 700K readers and growing, if I worried that somebody might be offended each and every time I hit publish, we'd have nothing. When we get in trouble, it's not for language, it's for telling stories that the industry doesn't want told. Being blacklisted over content, that's a badge of honor here (how dare I suggest TaylorMade might be sold off). But yeah...you better believe that I believe in my work. That should be true for all of us regardless of what we do.

And yeah...like everyone else reading this, I'd wager, I sometimes think certain individuals are idiots, but you won't find me attack anyone on a personal level (at least not without substantial cause) in my articles. Regrettably, the same can't be said for the readers who think I'm an idiot.

I don't sweat what the golf companies think, and I don't sweat the fact that with every story, somebody's knickers are bound to get twisted. Like I said in the comments of the Pebble article, sometimes the majority is with me, sometimes not. It is what it is. Everybody says they respect opinions...it's funny what happens though when some people don't agree.

So as to how we think of ourselves...edgy...absolutely, the edgiest media outlet of consequence in golf. While there's no objective measure for that, it's as close to fact as you'll find. Ask around. Tour Edge called us spicy. I think that's probably roughly the same.

Smarter...I don't want to own that one. There are so many smart and talented writers other places. There's enough brain power to go around. I might say wittier than most, but again my opinion - although you've got to concede that the majority of golf writing...equipment writing for sure, is largely void of any actual personality. I'd argue that our humanity, and at the very least our sense of humor is a differentiator for us. I also get some people prefer their golf stories straight-faced, and if that's you...them I'm still not your guy. No offense taken.

Better...that's tough, what's the measuring stick? If it's typos...we lose. We lose a lot. That said, we do what we do in a way nobody else does...5-6 years, whatever it's been, we're still growing, we're respected in this industry (even if we're not always liked), and we've survived and grown without taking so much as a dime in ad dollars from anybody whose market share is greater than other. Nobody else can say that. Nobody else can honestly say they can tell it completely like it is without taking it in the wallet...and I think we'd all agree money is a great motivator. It's why BS is so prevalent in the equipment industry. It's why I get angry and scream f***...well, you know. 

So as to adfriday101's original post...no...no new direction. Timing probably...Pebble only comes once a year, Chris' post just happened to be on the heals of it. Coincidence, nothing more. Our coverage model is pretty simple...we're true to ourselves, who we are, and what we believe. Sometimes we get unconventional ideas...and we run with them. 

Whether any or all of that actually makes us better is a question for the readers.

So all of those words later, it would be disingenuous for me to apologize for offending anyone, but I'm certainly not going to hold your opinions against you either. Enjoy the forums...we agree on the quality of the people here. Check in on the blog at your leisure...maybe you'll find something interesting. If not, it's all good.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Wow!  There's another one.......bloviator

Bloviation is a style of empty, pompous political speech particularly associated with Ohio due to the term's popularization by United States President Warren G. Harding, who, himself a master of the technique, described it as "the art of speaking for as long as the occasion warrants, and saying nothing".

That said, I guess a bloviator is one who engages in the art of bloviation.  Man, I am really learnig a lot from this thread, already up to 2 new words. What I really enjoy is that at MGS, we are free to ramble on, even bloviate, and it's okay.  We can vent, we can post the reasons and justifications for the things we write.  I like the satires, the serious side of golf and even the totally insane.  After all, if we do not express ourselves, why should we even participate?  

Thanks Al, for expressing your opinion concerning the critical articles on the Blog.  Thanks T, for letting us know how he feels.  This is a terrific place, one that I plan to be a part of for many years to come.......and it's okay for anyone to disagree with me......even myself.

An enthralling theorem, with nothing left for me to elucidate, or expound upon. 

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

One more observation.  In my post above, the "S" word is censored, even though it is a quote from an article in which it is not censored.  If words need to be censored in the forums, perhaps they likewise should not be used or should be censored in the articles.  

Just saying'.  

Did I miss the response to this observation?  I don't typically use words that might get censored, but occasionally one gets out (Was that my outside voice?), and it's censored.  I understand that, but if certain words are not allowed in the forum, why are they allowed in the Blog?  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This site is like so many things in life.  I am going to like some things and not like others.  Its up to me to decide which is which and to engage where I like it and leave it alone where I don't. 

**mini-rant alert**  It seems to me that people in general have become too intolerant of views that do not match their own and get "offended" way too easily (not in reference to the posts here - nobody has said "offended") and people obsess over not being offinsive.  What a load....  **rant over**

It is refreshing to me to see pieces being written without the apparent fear of reprisal from the sensitivities of the audience.  Yet, as I have read the last two pieces, I have quit reading them because I don't like what I found to be abrasiveness (offered as feedback and not criticism).  But, that was my choice - as it was the author's choice of how to write.  I will at least start reading future pieces because hearing what the author has to say is valuable to me - at least in knowing that what I am reading will not be influenced by the big marketing machines out there. 

Overall, I find a lot of value being around here, participating and reading articles.  If I have to ignore the occasional post or article, so what? 

The best thing about this site to me is that nobody's opinion gets attacked or squelched.  That is very rare in life and even less so on the internet.

If it were me I would tone it down a notch.  But its not me.  And that's really the point.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

LOL PJ he aint going to beat you down he has to come through me first!! Hey us old guys got to stick together

G

Hahahahaah!

You and me BOTH.  I thought it was another name for "Lady Parts"......

And here I am looking for lady parts  :rolleyes:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

This site is like so many things in life.  I am going to like some things and not like others.  Its up to me to decide which is which and to engage where I like it and leave it alone where I don't. 

**mini-rant alert**  It seems to me that people in general have become too intolerant of views that do not match their own and get "offended" way too easily (not in reference to the posts here - nobody has said "offended") and people obsess over not being offinsive.  What a load....  **rant over**

It is refreshing to me to see pieces being written without the apparent fear of reprisal from the sensitivities of the audience.  Yet, as I have read the last two pieces, I have quit reading them because I don't like what I found to be abrasiveness (offered as feedback and not criticism).  But, that was my choice - as it was the author's choice of how to write.  I will at least start reading future pieces because hearing what the author has to say is valuable to me - at least in knowing that what I am reading will not be influenced by the big marketing machines out there. 

Overall, I find a lot of value being around here, participating and reading articles.  If I have to ignore the occasional post or article, so what? 

The best thing about this site to me is that nobody's opinion gets attacked or squelched.  That is very rare in life and even less so on the internet.

If it were me I would tone it down a notch.  But its not me.  And that's really the point.

Part of it is the inability of people to carefully read and understand what's being written. To Al's original point I could do without the expletives but they are not about to shut me down. Has anyone here ever read Luther (the 16th century one)? And he' was a PhD who regularly got ranked in the top 5 most infuential people of the last millennium. Oh and most of his expletives were from the pulpit.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Part of it is the inability of people to carefully read and understand what's being written. To Al's original point I could do without the expletives but they are not about to shut me down. Has anyone here ever read Luther (the 16th century one)? And he' was a PhD who regularly got ranked in the top 5 most infuential people of the last millennium. Oh and most of his expletives were from the pulpit.

Funny thing you mentioned Luther we have been studying him some in Confirmation Class

G

• SPY VIP

Well MGS has always called it like it is and has never 'sugar coated" anything as long as I have been on here.

Now to your defense I did not agree with that author at all. He has missed the boat some again IMHO. To me again IMHO he does not know squat about JDM clubs especially Miura but that is his opinion. And you certainly have a right to yours.

In a nutshell--- I may not agree with your opinion but I will stand by you and fight to the death if need be for your right to express it. This comes from a Southern Redneck US Navy veteran

I'd be interested to know how you've drawn the conclusion my knowledge of JDM is basically nill - I have no issue with people who don't agree...hell, that's part of the fun of actually being able to articulate an opinion. That said, it's clear in reading the comments, some people aren't very interested in actually reading the entire piece...just picking and choosing (and often misquoting) portions which serve their agenda....And even that is to be expected, to a degree...

That being said,  I've spent a fair bit of time researching the topic at hand and my opinion is one rooted in fact and confirmed by experience and opinions of people who exist on the inside of the industry - So at the risk of starting a debate on the validity of spin-welded hosels, I'd love to know, beyond my opinion that those who fail to critically consume information are at risk of wasting money, what is it about JDM I'm missing?  

I'd be interested to know how you've drawn the conclusion my knowledge of JDM is basically nill - I have no issue with people who don't agree...hell, that's part of the fun of actually being able to articulate an opinion. That said, it's clear in reading the comments, some people aren't very interested in actually reading the entire piece...just picking and choosing (and often misquoting) portions which serve their agenda....And even that is to be expected, to a degree...

That being said,  I've spent a fair bit of time researching the topic at hand and my opinion is one rooted in fact and confirmed by experience and opinions of people who exist on the inside of the industry - So at the risk of starting a debate on the validity of spin-welded hosels, I'd love to know, beyond my opinion that those who fail to critically consume information are at risk of wasting money, what is it about JDM I'm missing?  

It is all in the feel man nothing feels or hits like a Miura or an older forged iron made in the USA. Like I said man you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I am strictly an old school feel player and have a hightened sense of feel. You may not have the sense of feel that others and I have. I was blessed with an uncanny sense of feel. I am not getting in any peeing contest with you or anyone else. You have your opinion and I have mine

G

Teee heee heee He came over here and tried to beat me down but I stood my ground!! 

G

That being said,  I've spent a fair bit of time researching the topic at hand and my opinion is one rooted in fact and confirmed by experience and opinions of people who exist on the inside of the industry - So at the risk of starting a debate on the validity of spin-welded hosels, I'd love to know, beyond my opinion that those who fail to critically consume information are at risk of wasting money, what is it about JDM I'm missing

Thanks for jumping in because I'm on the fence about your piece on the blog and thought my comments would get lost out there. Also JDM equipment is out of my price range so I'm not that interested in it. My question or concern about your piece is that I would have liked more imperial evidence. Do the tolerance differences, if real, matter? Your claim seems to be no or that the JDM folks haven't demonstrated that it's yes. I'd like to see some proof either way.

As to Stu's point, "for you" nothing feels like a well hit blade "for you." You can't say what it feels like for me or another player. I left the blade brigade a long time ago with the Ping Eye two. I wasn't alone as tons of tour players bagged that iron for some time. I'm equally convinced that my choice of a GI iron is the better one. But I've finally come to the conclusion that if the club doesn't fit a player's eye or feel right in his hands it's not going to work.

Better swings produce better shots and you're going to swing better with a blade while I swing better with a shovel. Believe or not I can feel the ball off the club face of that shovel and know when I hit the sweet spot.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Back to Al's point consider that Tony's piece on equipment got around a dozen responses while his edgy one on Pebble got nearly 100. If I were him I know which way I'd go with my Blog pieces. :)

Al stick in here, we're more civil in our discussions and we enjoy having your input.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived