TESTERS WANTED! ×

Unorthodox putting

Kor.A.Door

So I was at the Golfsmith today, cause that's where I go when I win money on Saturday, and I always putt when I go there, just something I do I guess, so I was missing everything as usual, my daughter was there, and she like to coach me so she says, is your right foot bigger than your left, because it's in front of your left, picture setting up in a draw stance, so she's like your putter is aimed way to the left, she says move your right foot back, so I do and the putts get better, but still not making anything, I pick up this old Ping GI2 putter, again close but not making anything, I started joking and said maybe I should close my left eye, so I did, now I have my right foot well back out of the way with all my weight on my left foot, I have my left eye closed, and I'm putting about 10 feet, I make the first, then the second, then the third, one of the sales guys says m, did you just make 3 in a row, I said yep, and I explained what I was doing, and showed him, and made the fourth in a row, then I moved spots to have about a 18 footer, and made that one, so 5 in a row so now the putter is home with me. So I have a new putter and a really unorthodox putting style to practice, for whatever reason it works for me, have any of you gone some extreme out of the ordinary unorthodox approach to any part of your game?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Even though I never closed my one eye, I have tried that closed stance and it DID work. There was a guy on the PGA tour that used to putt that way. I think it was Briney Baird or something like that.

My problem is my right hand getting too much in the stroke. So I've started practicing with that "pencil claw" type of grip

So I was at the Golfsmith today, cause that's where I go when I win money on Saturday, and I always putt when I go there, just something I do I guess, so I was missing everything as usual, my daughter was there, and she like to coach me so she says, is your right foot bigger than your left, because it's in front of your left, picture setting up in a draw stance, so she's like your putter is aimed way to the left, she says move your right foot back, so I do and the putts get better, but still not making anything, I pick up this old Ping GI2 putter, again close but not making anything, I started joking and said maybe I should close my left eye, so I did, now I have my right foot well back out of the way with all my weight on my left foot, I have my left eye closed, and I'm putting about 10 feet, I make the first, then the second, then the third, one of the sales guys says m, did you just make 3 in a row, I said yep, and I explained what I was doing, and showed him, and made the fourth in a row, then I moved spots to have about a 18 footer, and made that one, so 5 in a row so now the putter is home with me. So I have a new putter and a really unorthodox putting style to practice, for whatever reason it works for me, have any of you gone some extreme out of the ordinary unorthodox approach to any part of your game?

Glad you found something.  I hope it keeps working for you.  Doesn't matter how; just whatever works.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with Kenny 100% who cares if some "golf gurus" consider it unorthodox if it works for you.

Now I am assuming that you improved with your left eye closed you may be right eye dominant

By all means keep it up if it works for you.

As I have said many times IMHO there is no one way set in stone to play this game

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I agree with Kenny 100% who cares if some "golf gurus" consider it unorthodox if it works for you.

Now I am assuming that you improved with your left eye closed you may be right eye dominant

By all means keep it up if it works for you.

As I have said many times IMHO there is no one way set in stone to play this game

Yes, left handed, and right eye dominant, I was really just using the old Tin Cup lines where Romeo was telling Roy to do all sorts of things before he hit the ball, so it's telling my daughter maybe I should just close my left eye, it worked so I will see what happens, it seems that my aim is a little better.

I've had some eye surgeries and use an unorthodox stance, but a putter fitting showed my eyes line up over the putter and, if I read the breaks and my distance control is good, my line is usually good.

Roll with whatever gives you confidence and gets the ball in the hole.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Anyone ever try a Cure putter? I've never had as much success w anything, since the original TM Spider, as I have w these things. I think there's something to the high MOI

Anyone ever try a Cure putter? I've never had as much success w anything, since the original TM Spider, as I have w these things. I think there's something to the high MOI

I never have tried one myself but heck it seems to be a good thing for you. Hey everyone is different that is why there are so many different styles and makes of putters or clubs in general. I knew a guy one time no joke that played in big money matches that putted with a Putt Putt putter and I will add he weldied it extremely well.

I will be the first one to tell you play what works for you

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I would try one, but I'm not spending that kind of money without having it my hands to try first, it's one of my main apprehensive reasons why I struggle with purchasing a futon putter from somewhere, putting 500 down on something and not knowing if it will work is a bit risky

Archived