Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Best weather to play the ocean course at Kiawah?

Bebsport114

So I recently got the pleasure of playing the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and I must say it was one of the best golfing experiences I have ever had in my life! However, the coastal weather is what can make this historical course so demanding. We saw during the 1991 Ryder Cup and the 2012 PGA Championship that the wind on this course can force even the best golfers in the world to struggle to make par! With that said, we showed up to the course last Thursday and the temperature was supposedly about 60* and sunny. However, the winds were gusting up to 30 mph making it seem much cooler. Anyways, This got me a little intimidated but our 3some sort of expected this type of challenge for the day and in fact, we started talking about it after the round...a round at the ocean course wouldn't really be complete without some type of heavy winds, right!? We had caddies and started our round with 15-20 mph winds and I specifically remember I hit an 8-iron into the short par-4 3rd hole (the one Rory hit his ball into the tree), but it was only 100 yards! I still came up short!! 6-14 (I believe) we're downwind so we were able to really go after some of the greens which were lightning fast, I might add. Not sure how but I managed to make 3 birdies and finished the day at 81....all thanks to my caddie though who guided me through the course skillfully. I'm very proud of my score but I will say I've never hit so many 4 and 5 irons in a single round in my life! It was truly an amazing place and experience. With all of that said, I would've been slightly disappointed if we had played that course when there was no wind and easy conditions. Have you guys played the ocean course? What did y'all think? If not, would you prefer high winds or nothing?

image.jpg

I play in winds like that all the time so it wouldn't bother me all that much.  That said, I do enjoy no wind days.  I would like it a little warmer though.  Reminds me of Florida.  lol   

I would love to play the Ocean Course; maybe I need a trip back to SC one of days.  Nice round in the wind!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good playing!  I've played in Scotland in some pretty good winds, and in Ireland in the aftermath of US hurricanes.  The hurricanes follow the gulf stream across the northern Atlantic and hammer the west side of Ireland.  We had at least one day with gusts approaching 60 mph, according to the local news, and at least a little rain every day for the whole week.  A nice brisk wind is fun, but those says were just insane.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 4 weeks later...

I have played The Ocean Course over 50 times and used to take three or four trips a year to Seabrook right down the road. The wind is really the only thing protecting the layout and when it is down the course is very tame. Don't feel bad on your 8 iron since I played it the day before a hurricane hit and I hit 4 iron from 115 and was still a club short. Best 87 I ever shot and 19 higher than the day before with next to no wind.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Archived