GolfSpy Barbajo

Most Underrated Tour Players

Our Sponsors

About this time last year the talk was how Rickie was the most overrated player on Tour.  Then he won the Player's in the spring.   Not so worried about who's overrated, but who do you think are the most underrated players on Tour?

I have 4...

1. Danny Willet -- he's gonna win a few fairly soon.

2. Troy Merritt -- dude shot 61 twice on tour last year. 1 win, 1 near miss

3. Bill Haas - he always does well the weeks I don't pick him for fantasy.

4. Danny Lee - another guy who has good rounds but hasn't been able to put 4 of them in a row together

Who do you think is underrated, or up and coming? 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Personally I like that kid Daniel Berger one heck of a ball striker. I feel overall the depth of the fields and the number of talented players is the most in history of the tour

• Like 4

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I think that Stu said it, the fields are so deep every tournament. I think it will be very difficult for these undrated players to win for that reason, Berger is a good choice, KEVIN Kimber as well, very good player, has been in contention and lost a coupe playoffs, he will win at some point as well

• Like 2

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think that Stu said it, the fields are so deep every tournament. I think it will be very difficult for these undrated players to win for that reason, Berger is a good choice, KEVIN Kimber as well, very good player, has been in contention and lost a coupe playoffs, he will win at some point as well

Did you mean Kevin Kinsler? That's who I was going with for the reasons you cted. I totally agree that the strength of field is the best ever. Heck there are guys on the web.com that could win a PGA event on a given week. I'm surprised at Big Stu's comment about at the top.

How's this: Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Casper -a lot more majors and tour wins there and we haven't gotten to guys like Trevino, Floyd and Watson who over lap. I'm not saying that they are better than today's group just that they set the bar and let's see how today's group measures up. Give it some time.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Going in a little bit different direction with this one.  First pick is Matsuyama, I think we forget about him a lot and the dude can flat out play.  He's in contention a lot but doesn't get the coverage he deserves.

I'm also going out on a limb and saying Bubba and DJ.  Whenever you talk about top players their names are left off the list.  Bubba's got 2 majors and DJ has won every year on tour and been so close at many Majors.  Personally I think they are better players than they get credit for.

Heading lower down the list I think David Lingsmerth should be in the conversation for most underrated as well.

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I heard a little tidbit this weekend about Bill Hass not giving himself enough credit. Something about how he hopes he can be near the top every once in a while. Probably why he ended up losing on Sunday needs that Patrick Reed confidence that hes a top five player after a few tournaments his rookie year. So Bill underrates himself.  

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Did you mean Kevin Kinsler? That's who I was going with for the reasons you cted. I totally agree that the strength of field is the best ever. Heck there are guys on the web.com that could win a PGA event on a given week. I'm surprised at Big Stu's comment about at the top.

How's this: Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Casper -a lot more majors and tour wins there and we haven't gotten to guys like Trevino, Floyd and Watson who over lap. I'm not saying that they are better than today's group just that they set the bar and let's see how today's group measures up. Give it some time.

Yes Kisner, gotta love auto correct

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Kevin Na- Currently 7th on FedEx list. 27th world ranking. Over 50 career top 10's finishes, over 100 career top 25 finishes.

• Like 1

All great picks and there are so many good young players coming up.  I'm picking two players;

Jamie Lovemark... too bad Lovemark had back surgery and I hope it's not going to keep bothering him.  I expect him to win soon.

Andy Sullivan...  I've watched him on the European Tour and really like his game. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kevin Na- Currently 7th on FedEx list. 27th world ranking. Over 50 career top 10's finishes, over 100 career top 25 finishes.

Great call! He's also very nice to little girls in wheel chairs and their dad's.

I will go with another great guy whose game just keeps on keeping on. Jerry Kelly, not an up and comer but always able to put together a nice run when in the field.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Matsuyama, Kisner and Na are all great answers.....I'd maybe throw Ryan Moore in that category as well.

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 2.2

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

All great picks and there are so many good young players coming up.  I'm picking two players;

Jamie Lovemark... too bad Lovemark had back surgery and I hope it's not going to keep bothering him.  I expect him to win soon.

Andy Sullivan...  I've watched him on the European Tour and really like his game. 

agree w/ Sullivan.

would also add Bryson DeChambeau to the mix, as soon as he turns pro.

• Like 1

In the bag:

Driver - Ping G25, 10.5*
4W - Ping G25, 16.5*
4H - Tour Edge XGC-6, 22*
Irons - KZG Forged Cavity Back III (5-P)
Wedges - Vokey 52*, Vokey 56*, Vokey 58*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 with Matador grip

Balls - Snell "My Tour Ball"

I'm still waitin on Patrick Reed to deliver, Spieth and him did their best in the 14 Ryder Cup but he hasn't delivered ..... I think Lahiri has potential

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Two players I really like that I believe are underrated are Chris Wood and Charley Hoffman

• Like 2

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I always struggle with this question b/c on some level and player on tour is freakishly talented...and if you're not one of the 5-10 guys constantly getting mentioned, I guess you could fall into the category of "under-rated" - 

That said, I guess it's the best player who gets the least amount of press/recognition...I throw Luke Donald into the mix - I think people forget he was the #1 player in the world at a time...not too many people can claim that...

• Like 2

Jimmy Walker?

Johnny Walker is my favorite of the Walker family. :). Oh wait this is about golfers and not about how a course came to have 18 holes the number of shots in a bottle of scotch. Sorry I got carried away for a moment.

• Like 2

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Johnny Walker is my favorite of the Walker family. :). Oh wait this is about golfers and not about how a course came to have 18 holes the number of shots in a bottle of scotch. Sorry I got carried away for a moment.

Once I brought back a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue from Russia for $25.  I sure miss those days.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great call on Willett. Seems like a cool guy too.

I still like to say Sergio Garcia for this one. There's so many good players now but he's always been a favorite of mine and only 36.

Lee Westwood's a good one and Padraig Harrington to stick with the older player theme.