TESTERS WANTED! ×

Most Underrated Tour Players

GolfSpy Barbajo

About this time last year the talk was how Rickie was the most overrated player on Tour.  Then he won the Player's in the spring.   Not so worried about who's overrated, but who do you think are the most underrated players on Tour?

I have 4...

1. Danny Willet -- he's gonna win a few fairly soon.

2. Troy Merritt -- dude shot 61 twice on tour last year. 1 win, 1 near miss

3. Bill Haas - he always does well the weeks I don't pick him for fantasy.

4. Danny Lee - another guy who has good rounds but hasn't been able to put 4 of them in a row together

Who do you think is underrated, or up and coming? 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Personally I like that kid Daniel Berger one heck of a ball striker. I feel overall the depth of the fields and the number of talented players is the most in history of the tour

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I think that Stu said it, the fields are so deep every tournament. I think it will be very difficult for these undrated players to win for that reason, Berger is a good choice, KEVIN Kimber as well, very good player, has been in contention and lost a coupe playoffs, he will win at some point as well

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think that Stu said it, the fields are so deep every tournament. I think it will be very difficult for these undrated players to win for that reason, Berger is a good choice, KEVIN Kimber as well, very good player, has been in contention and lost a coupe playoffs, he will win at some point as well

Did you mean Kevin Kinsler? That's who I was going with for the reasons you cted. I totally agree that the strength of field is the best ever. Heck there are guys on the web.com that could win a PGA event on a given week. I'm surprised at Big Stu's comment about at the top.

How's this: Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Casper -a lot more majors and tour wins there and we haven't gotten to guys like Trevino, Floyd and Watson who over lap. I'm not saying that they are better than today's group just that they set the bar and let's see how today's group measures up. Give it some time.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Going in a little bit different direction with this one.  First pick is Matsuyama, I think we forget about him a lot and the dude can flat out play.  He's in contention a lot but doesn't get the coverage he deserves.

I'm also going out on a limb and saying Bubba and DJ.  Whenever you talk about top players their names are left off the list.  Bubba's got 2 majors and DJ has won every year on tour and been so close at many Majors.  Personally I think they are better players than they get credit for.

Heading lower down the list I think David Lingsmerth should be in the conversation for most underrated as well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I heard a little tidbit this weekend about Bill Hass not giving himself enough credit. Something about how he hopes he can be near the top every once in a while. Probably why he ended up losing on Sunday needs that Patrick Reed confidence that hes a top five player after a few tournaments his rookie year. So Bill underrates himself.  

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Did you mean Kevin Kinsler? That's who I was going with for the reasons you cted. I totally agree that the strength of field is the best ever. Heck there are guys on the web.com that could win a PGA event on a given week. I'm surprised at Big Stu's comment about at the top.

How's this: Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Casper -a lot more majors and tour wins there and we haven't gotten to guys like Trevino, Floyd and Watson who over lap. I'm not saying that they are better than today's group just that they set the bar and let's see how today's group measures up. Give it some time.

Yes Kisner, gotta love auto correct

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

All great picks and there are so many good young players coming up.  I'm picking two players;

Jamie Lovemark... too bad Lovemark had back surgery and I hope it's not going to keep bothering him.  I expect him to win soon.

Andy Sullivan...  I've watched him on the European Tour and really like his game. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kevin Na- Currently 7th on FedEx list. 27th world ranking. Over 50 career top 10's finishes, over 100 career top 25 finishes.

Great call! He's also very nice to little girls in wheel chairs and their dad's.

I will go with another great guy whose game just keeps on keeping on. Jerry Kelly, not an up and comer but always able to put together a nice run when in the field.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Matsuyama, Kisner and Na are all great answers.....I'd maybe throw Ryan Moore in that category as well.

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

All great picks and there are so many good young players coming up.  I'm picking two players;

Jamie Lovemark... too bad Lovemark had back surgery and I hope it's not going to keep bothering him.  I expect him to win soon.

Andy Sullivan...  I've watched him on the European Tour and really like his game. 

agree w/ Sullivan.

would also add Bryson DeChambeau to the mix, as soon as he turns pro.

In the bag:

Driver - Ping G25, 10.5*
4W - Ping G25, 16.5*
4H - Tour Edge XGC-6, 22*
Irons - KZG Forged Cavity Back III (5-P)
Wedges - Vokey 52*, Vokey 56*, Vokey 58*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 with Matador grip

Balls - Snell "My Tour Ball"

I'm still waitin on Patrick Reed to deliver, Spieth and him did their best in the 14 Ryder Cup but he hasn't delivered ..... I think Lahiri has potential

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Two players I really like that I believe are underrated are Chris Wood and Charley Hoffman

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• SPY VIP

I always struggle with this question b/c on some level and player on tour is freakishly talented...and if you're not one of the 5-10 guys constantly getting mentioned, I guess you could fall into the category of "under-rated" - 

That said, I guess it's the best player who gets the least amount of press/recognition...I throw Luke Donald into the mix - I think people forget he was the #1 player in the world at a time...not too many people can claim that...

Jimmy Walker?

Johnny Walker is my favorite of the Walker family. :). Oh wait this is about golfers and not about how a course came to have 18 holes the number of shots in a bottle of scotch. Sorry I got carried away for a moment.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Johnny Walker is my favorite of the Walker family. :). Oh wait this is about golfers and not about how a course came to have 18 holes the number of shots in a bottle of scotch. Sorry I got carried away for a moment.

Once I brought back a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue from Russia for $25.  I sure miss those days.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 4 weeks later...

Great call on Willett. Seems like a cool guy too.

I still like to say Sergio Garcia for this one. There's so many good players now but he's always been a favorite of mine and only 36.

Lee Westwood's a good one and Padraig Harrington to stick with the older player theme.

• 4 years later...

Thought this would be interesting to rehash - One guy I was surprised to see that is still very high in rankings is Adam Scott at 8th in the world.  Had no idea he was even in the top 40 to be honest.  Certainly not underrated and gets a lot of coverage, but did not realize the high level he's been playing at.

I think mine could be Sungjae Im at least for his record while on my fantasy league lol.  The guy just continues to get me points and is 20th in the rankings currently.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Abraham Ancer is one that I expect to have a solid pro career...

Throwback shout-out to Vijay Singh: I think people forget how good he was during the “prime Tiger” era

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Abraham Ancer is one that I expect to have a solid pro career...

Throwback shout-out to Vijay Singh: I think people forget how good he was during the “prime Tiger” era

Yea when Tiger got hurt after the Slam Vijay went on a tear.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

8 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Vijay is a jerk. Was a good player at one time, but a complete jerk. 

Interesting, he sat at my bar once when I worked in the service biz in college. I was like hey you're Vijay Singh, right? I said nice to meet you and he nodded and smiled. Left a nice tip as well. No one else knew who he was.

My vote goes to Tony Finau though. He's gotten so close a few times now. His time is coming for his first win, and then I think he'll manage at least a few more and a major!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

A few years ago I would have said Kevin Na. I’ve been burned by him on DraftKings so many times. I’m a fan of Hideki Matsuyama and I hope he can get a few Majors.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

A few years ago I would have said Kevin Na. I’ve been burned by him on DraftKings so many times. I’m a fan of Hideki Matsuyama and I hope he can get a few Majors.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

On 6/27/2020 at 3:38 AM, yungkory said:

My vote goes to Tony Finau though. He's gotten so close a few times now. His time is coming for his first win, and then I think he'll manage at least a few more and a major!

I've run into him several times: there is not a genuinely nicer guy .He's already won on tour, but I wonder if he's a good enough putter to close out a major or a big tourney...

He basically gave Webb Simpson the WM  earlier this year.

But I'm always pulling for him!

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV