TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Grinds

DanUsh

How have you gone about choosing the grinds on your wedges?

Have you been fitted?  How did they determine the grind for you based on your fitting?

Have you just done trial and error?

When it comes to wedges they may be the most important clubs in your bag next to your putter for cutting strokes and lowering your handicap.

So in looking to pick up another wedge set I am wondering how to go about picking grinds?

Is it possible to figure this out without hitting the shots you would on the course?  

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

Barbajo and I supposedly will talk about wedge fitting with Bridgestone on Thursday. I will ask some specific questions. There is a lot of good info online with regard to your swing type and the turf you typically play to help with wedge selection. That may be a good place to get started.

I'm really anxious to ask about specialty wedge shafts, and what the Bridgestone fitters think with regard to the mid-handicap player.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I can't wait to read about your visit to Bridgestone.  I have read and watched many of the literature on grinds and bounce. My concerns are living in NJ that in the summer i can play one day on a firm course and the next day on a soft course.  Sand always varies from hard and compact to light and fluffy.  I also don't have a home course i play all the time.  I play a variety of courses.  So the only constant is my swing, but I am usually a creative player with my wedges and try to hit different shots. This is where my confusion comes from.  Or maybe it is quite possible I am overthinking the whole process.  

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

I can't wait to read about your visit to Bridgestone.  I have read and watched many of the literature on grinds and bounce. My concerns are living in NJ that in the summer i can play one day on a firm course and the next day on a soft course.  Sand always varies from hard and compact to light and fluffy.  I also don't have a home course i play all the time.  I play a variety of courses.  So the only constant is my swing, but I am usually a creative player with my wedges and try to hit different shots. This is where my confusion comes from.  Or maybe it is quite possible I am overthinking the whole process.  

I am in the same boat. I am not a member anywhere so I play a lot of different courses. I have also changed my swing a bit which made me more of (imo) a neutral mid bounce swinger than digger (low bounce). So I am a little apprehensive about buying new wedges when I really don't know what kind of grind will be best for me in the end. 

This is one of the reasons I am interested in the Ben Hogan TK wedges (formerly SCOR). Is there anything to there claims of, "Are you crazy! You can't fit bounce to all shots so just use our V-sole."?

Either those or Vokeys. I have played a couple rounds with them and they were just really solid. Probably just go with an M-grind

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I play in PA so our course conditions are pretty similar. Sometimes wet and soggy, sometimes hardpan. Sand can also vary a good bit.

I played the SCOR wedges in 50/54/58 for two years and loved them. LOFT (lack of ... talent) was the only issue I had. But seriously they performed well for me in all conditions and on all types of shots.

Currently I'm gaming the Mizuno S5 wedges in 50/54/58. I went with 54-12 and 58-08 to cover the varying conditions of turf and sand and types of shots I want to play and I've been happy with the results. Grinds on the S5s are determined by the bounce. I also like that they have the same shafts and feel as my irons.

I've never been fitted for wedges. I know some guys on here have gone through the Edel wedge fitting and been pretty impressed with it.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

i've been wondering this for a while too, I have Mizuno MP T-11s 52.07, 56.13, 60.05 but bent to 50.05, 55.12 and the 60.05 is stock. My wedge game has been inconsistent and I want to try more bounc, but there are so many different bounce and grind options, it gets confusing. I like Renegar's philosophy for 1 grind in that you'll come across different conditions that you gotta play, but 165 for a wedge is too much for me.  I look forward to the upcoming Bridgestone discussion.

I recently posted on the Swing-Byte testing thread about discovering Cleveland partnering with Swing-byte for wedge fitting based on your swing (haven;t had time to actually try it) , so if you have a place to start.  LMs only read the ball, so the swingbyte will give you the actual club info such as shaft lean, face angle, Angle of attack, etc.  

Here's the Cleveland link:

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_wedge-analyzer.html

Thanks to getting luckily chosen for the Swing Byte 2.0 testing, i'm going to give this a go at a grass range and see what it says. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

That sounds like a good starting spot with the swing byte.

Wedges can be expensive and between trying to find the right shaft, bounce, and grind combination good luck. I can't afford trial and error but know I need to improve my short game. And don't know if my current set up is right.

Your swing and turf can help determine the type of grind, do you dig when you swing, do you take deep divots, or do you take shallow divots. We all play courses that are hard sometimes or soft and wet other times, which type do you play most often, these are all factors in choosing wedge grinds and bounce you could also choose different grinds, and different bounces to cover either, or both. You can start by doing a static online Q & A at Titileist of Callaway, but talking to someone in person who knows a little about it is probably the best way to go.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I don't think I've ever gone through an actual hardcore fitting so I've just experimented and found my preferences over time. Personally I like playing a bunch of different shots with my higher lofted wedges and I can strike the ball well enough with them so I go for a more versatile dual sole grind in my 58 degree. Then I have a 54 degree wedge in a more standard grind with more bounce that I use for fuller wedge swings and standard chips and pitches. These are just my preferences though and they may not match you so like the other fellas said, you gotta find what matches you. I would say as far as the question about if you need to be hitting shots on the course, I would recommend hitting it somehow even if it's into a net or simulator just to see if you feel like you can pull off each of your usual shot types. Hope that helps or at least makes for semi-interesting reading.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I have a hard time understanding why personal experience doesn't tell one everything one needs to know about wedge fitting.

My own shot experience told me everything that I ever needed to know.

I needed the curved leading edge of an oval shaped face in greenside bunkers.

I couldn't tolerate any substantial bounce in making short side lobs from tight lies. More than 4º was a big liability. 

Eight degrees was about my maximum tolerance of bounce for any shot.

The shots with a variety of wedges told me all of that so clearly.  I absorbed the information, and the information was proven completely correct on application.  I can't imagine what wedge fitting could have possibly added. 

Nifty, in general you are correct, I know my swing and what I am looking for in my wedges. I don't think anyone needs a full fitting for wedges, I do think that talking with someone that is knowledgable about wedge grinds and bounce can be very helpful in making sure you get the correct wedge for how you want to play. There are so many different grinds, (many are the same, just different manufacturers use different names), i nist think that talking with someone is better than trying to figure it out on your own.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I start with leading edge, I want it straughrer with less curve and not as sharp. From there I want heel and toe relief- each manufacturer has a name for theirs even if they look the same.

When it comes to bounce it's a bit of a toss up for me because I've used wedges with the same bounce, similar grinds and profiles, and had different results due to difference in swing weight or shaft, not to mention hosel size/ length.

I've used Cleveland ' wedge analyzer and I was put into 3 dots for 3 wedges, but did better with a one, two, two set up.

I did well with all Mizuno wedges I was fitted for and the set of Vokeys I am using now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I go by personal preference.  I sweep every shot that I hit and if I take a divot it is because I am trying to hit a specific shot.  by that logic I should play low bounce wedges, but they have never worked for me one bit.  Have always played high bounce in my wedges and not sure I could find two wedges in my 58* and 64* that on paper should not work for me at all.  

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I go by personal preference. I sweep every shot that I hit and if I take a divot it is because I am trying to hit a specific shot. by that logic I should play low bounce wedges, but they have never worked for me one bit. Have always played high bounce in my wedges and not sure I could find two wedges in my 58* and 64* that on paper should not work for me at all.

I am absolutely the same (except for the +1 hndcp) I'm a sweeper too, and play 8-10 deg bounce wedges. Must be my wedge swing is somehow different; never had it analyzed.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I think a  wedge fitting is one that needs to be done outdoors so you can see how the bounce reacts to the fairway, rough, and the sand. Personally I was fitted by a Titleist/Callaway certified pro at my course and we ran through a bunch of different bounce types and grinds and then he made his recommendation, including the shaft type. It was something I couldn't have figured out on my own.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

I read up on the different SM5 grinds but then was lucky enough the get fitted by the legend himself Bob Vokey!! He confirmed the grinds I was planning on getting.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Archived