Sign in to follow this  
DanUsh

Wedge Grinds

How have you gone about choosing the grinds on your wedges?

Have you been fitted?  How did they determine the grind for you based on your fitting?

Have you just done trial and error?

When it comes to wedges they may be the most important clubs in your bag next to your putter for cutting strokes and lowering your handicap.

So in looking to pick up another wedge set I am wondering how to go about picking grinds?

Is it possible to figure this out without hitting the shots you would on the course?  

Barbajo and I supposedly will talk about wedge fitting with Bridgestone on Thursday. I will ask some specific questions. There is a lot of good info online with regard to your swing type and the turf you typically play to help with wedge selection. That may be a good place to get started.

I'm really anxious to ask about specialty wedge shafts, and what the Bridgestone fitters think with regard to the mid-handicap player.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I can't wait to read about your visit to Bridgestone.  I have read and watched many of the literature on grinds and bounce. My concerns are living in NJ that in the summer i can play one day on a firm course and the next day on a soft course.  Sand always varies from hard and compact to light and fluffy.  I also don't have a home course i play all the time.  I play a variety of courses.  So the only constant is my swing, but I am usually a creative player with my wedges and try to hit different shots. This is where my confusion comes from.  Or maybe it is quite possible I am overthinking the whole process.  

• Like 1

I can't wait to read about your visit to Bridgestone.  I have read and watched many of the literature on grinds and bounce. My concerns are living in NJ that in the summer i can play one day on a firm course and the next day on a soft course.  Sand always varies from hard and compact to light and fluffy.  I also don't have a home course i play all the time.  I play a variety of courses.  So the only constant is my swing, but I am usually a creative player with my wedges and try to hit different shots. This is where my confusion comes from.  Or maybe it is quite possible I am overthinking the whole process.  

I am in the same boat. I am not a member anywhere so I play a lot of different courses. I have also changed my swing a bit which made me more of (imo) a neutral mid bounce swinger than digger (low bounce). So I am a little apprehensive about buying new wedges when I really don't know what kind of grind will be best for me in the end. 

This is one of the reasons I am interested in the Ben Hogan TK wedges (formerly SCOR). Is there anything to there claims of, "Are you crazy! You can't fit bounce to all shots so just use our V-sole."?

Either those or Vokeys. I have played a couple rounds with them and they were just really solid. Probably just go with an M-grind

• Like 1

The scratch wedge fitting guide was a good place to start. I don't know if its still there. Type of turf that you play most often in is a big factor as well.

I play in PA so our course conditions are pretty similar. Sometimes wet and soggy, sometimes hardpan. Sand can also vary a good bit.

I played the SCOR wedges in 50/54/58 for two years and loved them. LOFT (lack of ... talent) was the only issue I had. But seriously they performed well for me in all conditions and on all types of shots.

Currently I'm gaming the Mizuno S5 wedges in 50/54/58. I went with 54-12 and 58-08 to cover the varying conditions of turf and sand and types of shots I want to play and I've been happy with the results. Grinds on the S5s are determined by the bounce. I also like that they have the same shafts and feel as my irons.

I've never been fitted for wedges. I know some guys on here have gone through the Edel wedge fitting and been pretty impressed with it.

• Like 1

i've been wondering this for a while too, I have Mizuno MP T-11s 52.07, 56.13, 60.05 but bent to 50.05, 55.12 and the 60.05 is stock. My wedge game has been inconsistent and I want to try more bounc, but there are so many different bounce and grind options, it gets confusing. I like Renegar's philosophy for 1 grind in that you'll come across different conditions that you gotta play, but 165 for a wedge is too much for me.  I look forward to the upcoming Bridgestone discussion.

I recently posted on the Swing-Byte testing thread about discovering Cleveland partnering with Swing-byte for wedge fitting based on your swing (haven;t had time to actually try it) , so if you have a place to start.  LMs only read the ball, so the swingbyte will give you the actual club info such as shaft lean, face angle, Angle of attack, etc.  

Here's the Cleveland link:

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_wedge-analyzer.html

Thanks to getting luckily chosen for the Swing Byte 2.0 testing, i'm going to give this a go at a grass range and see what it says. 

That sounds like a good starting spot with the swing byte.

Wedges can be expensive and between trying to find the right shaft, bounce, and grind combination good luck. I can't afford trial and error but know I need to improve my short game. And don't know if my current set up is right.

Your swing and turf can help determine the type of grind, do you dig when you swing, do you take deep divots, or do you take shallow divots. We all play courses that are hard sometimes or soft and wet other times, which type do you play most often, these are all factors in choosing wedge grinds and bounce you could also choose different grinds, and different bounces to cover either, or both. You can start by doing a static online Q & A at Titileist of Callaway, but talking to someone in person who knows a little about it is probably the best way to go.

I don't think I've ever gone through an actual hardcore fitting so I've just experimented and found my preferences over time. Personally I like playing a bunch of different shots with my higher lofted wedges and I can strike the ball well enough with them so I go for a more versatile dual sole grind in my 58 degree. Then I have a 54 degree wedge in a more standard grind with more bounce that I use for fuller wedge swings and standard chips and pitches. These are just my preferences though and they may not match you so like the other fellas said, you gotta find what matches you. I would say as far as the question about if you need to be hitting shots on the course, I would recommend hitting it somehow even if it's into a net or simulator just to see if you feel like you can pull off each of your usual shot types. Hope that helps or at least makes for semi-interesting reading.

I have a hard time understanding why personal experience doesn't tell one everything one needs to know about wedge fitting.

My own shot experience told me everything that I ever needed to know.

I needed the curved leading edge of an oval shaped face in greenside bunkers.

I couldn't tolerate any substantial bounce in making short side lobs from tight lies. More than 4º was a big liability. 

Eight degrees was about my maximum tolerance of bounce for any shot.

The shots with a variety of wedges told me all of that so clearly.  I absorbed the information, and the information was proven completely correct on application.  I can't imagine what wedge fitting could have possibly added. 

Nifty, in general you are correct, I know my swing and what I am looking for in my wedges. I don't think anyone needs a full fitting for wedges, I do think that talking with someone that is knowledgable about wedge grinds and bounce can be very helpful in making sure you get the correct wedge for how you want to play. There are so many different grinds, (many are the same, just different manufacturers use different names), i nist think that talking with someone is better than trying to figure it out on your own.

I start with leading edge, I want it straughrer with less curve and not as sharp. From there I want heel and toe relief- each manufacturer has a name for theirs even if they look the same.

When it comes to bounce it's a bit of a toss up for me because I've used wedges with the same bounce, similar grinds and profiles, and had different results due to difference in swing weight or shaft, not to mention hosel size/ length.

I've used Cleveland ' wedge analyzer and I was put into 3 dots for 3 wedges, but did better with a one, two, two set up.

I did well with all Mizuno wedges I was fitted for and the set of Vokeys I am using now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wedge fitting is the start and lessens the trial in trial and error.

For me leading edge sharpness and shape turns out to be more important than bounce. Sole width is slightly ahead of bounce as well.

I go by personal preference.  I sweep every shot that I hit and if I take a divot it is because I am trying to hit a specific shot.  by that logic I should play low bounce wedges, but they have never worked for me one bit.  Have always played high bounce in my wedges and not sure I could find two wedges in my 58* and 64* that on paper should not work for me at all.  

• Like 1

I go by personal preference. I sweep every shot that I hit and if I take a divot it is because I am trying to hit a specific shot. by that logic I should play low bounce wedges, but they have never worked for me one bit. Have always played high bounce in my wedges and not sure I could find two wedges in my 58* and 64* that on paper should not work for me at all.

I am absolutely the same (except for the +1 hndcp) I'm a sweeper too, and play 8-10 deg bounce wedges. Must be my wedge swing is somehow different; never had it analyzed.

I think a  wedge fitting is one that needs to be done outdoors so you can see how the bounce reacts to the fairway, rough, and the sand. Personally I was fitted by a Titleist/Callaway certified pro at my course and we ran through a bunch of different bounce types and grinds and then he made his recommendation, including the shaft type. It was something I couldn't have figured out on my own.

I read up on the different SM5 grinds but then was lucky enough the get fitted by the legend himself Bob Vokey!! He confirmed the grinds I was planning on getting.