TESTERS WANTED! ×

CONTEST: Official Wilson Staff C200 National Demo Event - Win Wilson "Head To Toe"

GolfSpy Barbajo

Well, I had never had a "true" iron fitting before. I've hit on multiple launch monitors with intent to purchase a driver or used irons, but never a situation where an employee of any organization was standing by, watching and explaining my numbers. So this contest, along with the fitting being at my favorite golf store, PGA Superstore in Southlake, TX (I also happened to be in town, visiting from Tarzan, TX...yes, it's a real place...so it was a perfect storm), provided a great opportunity to experience an iron fitting. I was not disappointed.

I registered for an 11 am appointment on Wednesday, 3/16. While I was on the course Thursday my phone rang, which is never a good thing. But when I picked up it was Alessandra from Wilson Golf, calling to ask if I had any questions or concerns about my appointment. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the customer service Wilson exhibited before I even walked into the store.

I arrived about five minutes early this morning (sadly 11 am was early for me. I've been on vacation for a week. Don't judge me.), then strode to the fitting bay, Bridgestone J38 7 iron in hand. I was not expecting much, honestly. I just picked the Bridgestones up, used but in great condition, and through two rounds they have put my old Cleveland CG16 Tours to shame. Still ballooning a bit, but distance and control was great. My first swing with the J38 was my best one, believe it or not. There's a pic attached with the numbers.

After a few swings with my irons and talking to Brian, the fitter that I had coincidentally played in a scramble with a few years ago, about my ball flight issues, I was handed a Wilson C200 7i with a KBS Tour Stiff shaft in it. The topline was unobtrusive and actually quite attractive, even compared to my thinnish Bridgestones. The club felt great in my hands, not too heavy, not too light. There's a few pictures attached. I didn't get quite as many as I'd like, and here's why: after a few warm up swings, I SMOKED a 7 iron! I even might have got a lesser expletive out of Brian. It was nice. Very nice. To quote Roy McAvoy, it was the kind of shot that made that tuning fork go off in my loins. The numbers showed that a tiny stance adjustment coupled with the club/shaft combination had addressed my ball flight issues quite nicely. Numbers are attached below in a pic.

I hit a few more shots that got close, but the one in the pic was the best one by far. The J38s are probably going to get traded in for a new set of Wilson C200s, 1/2 inch long, in the near future.

I also hit a few shots with a Wilson FG Tour 7i, which was also amazing. I love forged clubs, but considering my handicap has stayed closer to 16 than 9 lately, I'm more than happy to play the C200s. 188 yard 7 iron? I'll take that any day.

The swag was great too. I don't mind $20 and a couple high quality balls in exchange for hitting some amazing golf clubs. I've been considering a ball switch, and the Wilson Duo may be enough price and feel wise to get me away from my Bridgestone B330S. Especially price wise.

Thanks to Wilson Golf, Alessandra & Brian, PGA Superstore Southlake, and MyGolfSpy for the opportunity. Great way to spend a Saturday morning. Requisite tweets and pics attached.

1458421618098.jpg

1458421636669.jpg

1458421654415.jpg

1458421667869.jpg

1458421680255.jpg

1458421694824.jpg

Check out the tweets here @justinhardisty - MyGolfSpy and Wilson both retweeted me! I'm famous! 

"You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all."

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK... these are "it"!!!

No, really - I'm serious this time!

Was at the PGA Superstore in Westbury, NY this afternoon; first, a big shoutout to Jeff T of the store (on the right in pic below) who not only patiently answered all my questions but also threw in a few helpful swing tips :) !

I've been playing TM R9s the past 6 seasons and love them, but ... I do keep looking at all the ads for all the new clubs promising not just more distance but also - and more importantly for me - more control and consistency.

[sidebar: This will only be my 7th season playing (and unfortunately missed out on a big part of two of those seasons, and .. I'm 60 now!) but my game is progressing quickly - especially this year - and hitting irons and wedges / approach shots is my fav part of the game. And it's getting much stronger!]

So late last year I'd made several trips (to the amusement of my wife - who actually comes out and golfs with me on weekends) to that PGA Superstore and also to a Golfsmith nearby to test out a number of new clubs, including:

• Wilson D200 (yes "D", the C200s were not out yet)
  • TM RSi1
  • Callaway XR and Apex CF16, also Big Bertha
  • Mizuno JPX-850 and JPX-EZ - non-forged models; forged not out yet
  • Ping G30 and G-Max
  • Cobra Fly-Z
  • Titleist AP1 (also played these while on a Winter vacation)
  • (and prob one or two others, too!)

Of these, my favs for....

• Feel = Apex and JPX-850
    • but not sure am 'ready' for these; still need some 'help' on those occasional ;-) less-than-perfect strikes (eg. I tend to hit out towards the toe sometimes)
  • Control = RSi1 and G-30
    • but didn't have the feel of the R9s and don't want to give that up
  • Blend of Both (feel + control) = XR
    • club felt nice, I swung it nicely and ball 'popped' off the face with a light feel

But... None of these really "grabbed" me quite enough to convince me to give up the R9s and $plurge.... 

Which finally brings us to today's demo: even though I very recently made both a MAJOR swing change (now shallower, more around the body and now more out-to-in) and a big grip change (right hand weaker) - with the coaching help of a friend who's a former touring pro - I was instantly very comfortable with the C200 .. plus even with shaft / shaft length / lie angle changes (ended up -1/2" short and -2* flat)  during the fitting session was hitting it a fairly consistent distance and with a very consistent flight and dispersion...!!! Whoo-hoo!

So as I said at the top: these are it; the right combo of feel and control and that is a measurable performance upgrade from my existing set.

Which brings me to my 'pitch': I could be a great "ambassador" for Wilson ... I'm retired and like to get out and play and/or practice golf at least a few times per week, early Spring to late Fall; I play on public courses, frequently as a single, so I'm always meeting new golfers; once per week I volunteer (and also play and practice) at the golf course at the VA near where I live, so am always meeting new golfers there, too; and I often get compliments on my iron and wedge play (which as mentioned earlier is getting better and better!). And I'm an out-going guy and enjoy talking gear. 

OK... Thank you!!! to Wilson Staff and PGA Superstore, and Jeff T, for the demo and fitting; and Thank you!!! to MyGolfSpy for a chance to be a "Head to Toe" Wilson Staff player :-)

Chuck

Oh, PS:

If you pick me and I start playing the WIlsons can you guarantee that I start playing like Troy Merritt...???

ha ha ha haaaa........

>>> addendum >>>

Forgot to mention that in addition to swinging the 7i, I also asked to hit a few Pitching wedges ... that really "sealed the deal" for me! I use my "P" a lot on short approaches and also close-in around the greens, and a few pitch swings with the C200 really made me feel like I would be able to really control trajectory and distance better!! Just a nice easy, slow swing with a good contact and the ball popped off the face and went right to the spot I was .. virtually (on the simulator) .. looking at! Look out lower scores..........

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Sent from my VS870 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

See the review below. I'm learning to use the mobile.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I demoed the C200 today before my round with some MGS guys in Tampa.

I currently bag the C100's with Studio select 6.1 shafts. Even though I was testing a significantly stronger steal shaft I hit them wonderfully. Very nice ball flight and about half a club longer than my current irons.

The feel of the ball on the clubface on center hits is unique. It seems like the ball stays there and then explodes. I greatly prefer the look to the C100. Much cleaner and neater with a thinner top line appearance and less offset.

I'd love to game these. Thanks to Wislon and MGS for the opportunity to try them.

[/img]

attachicon.gif0319161235b.jpg

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The bottom line is that the Wilson Staff C200's are nasty. They look, feel, and sound great. Especially if you are use to playing with clubs that use plastics in the club head. My fitting was at the Irvine PGA Superstore with Don who was great. I'm an 18 index currently but I normally hit my 7i (clubs that are only 1-2 years old) about 180. I was averaging 195 with the stock stiff shaft and launched a pull draw about 205. Don swapped me out with heavier shafts and although I lost some yards (still longer than my current clubs) we dropped my dispersion rate drastically. If I didn't already own two sets of clubs purchased within 2 years, I would have walked out with a set.ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1458448056.980291.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1458448125.688902.jpg

I recently demoed the C200 at a local Golfsmith. Wow they're long! I was averaging 11 yards more with the C200 versus my current clubs (Nike VR forged). Hit a 7 iron 183 yards even with a mishit. They felt great! Really have to consider getting fit for these.

I just went to the local golfsmith in willow grove PA. Unfortunate that the demo day isn't until 4/16 so they didn't have the needs for my swing.

I currently play the Adams xtd irons with steel fiber i95 regular shafts stepped .5 to a firm flex. I was very interested in the rogue pro being they are first to market and I love the driver and fairway shafts.

That said I stepped in the bay asking for even an Aldila rogue regular but was told only the steel was available

First appearance was nice slim top line solid look and the feel was pretty buttahish....as far as distance goes not sure the shaft was playing too much into this but it didn't much surpass my current irons and at times it was much less. The swing weight is listed on wilsons website as D1 which I play D5 so I was a bit erratic as well.

All in all I would play them barring the fitting worked out to my advantage but off the rack not so much. I did root around and found an Aldila 75 regular on the wall which they tapped for me but as I expected more inconsistency both yardage and direction.

In college I played the Wilson combo set the progressives and loved them I would love to give Wilson another shot same as the woods and hybrids.

Sorry pics were limited because the "fitter" was hovering the whole time

#MyGolfSpyC200

#C200

#GenFLX

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I was fortunate to test drive the 5 iron yesterday...wow! Even with the stiff 115g shaft it felt very good. The distance was very comparable to my 5 hybrid and felt just as easy to hit.

Even an off center hit didn't sting like a lot of clubs but you're not punished as much either. Hit one on the screws and it's as soft as a lovers kiss.

uploadfromtaptalk1458501332159.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• SPY VIP

I was fortunate to test drive the 5 iron yesterday...wow! Even with the stiff 115g shaft it felt very good. The distance was very comparable to my 5 hybrid and felt just as easy to hit.

Even an off center hit didn't sting like a lot of clubs but you're not punished as much either. Hit one on the screws and it's as soft as a lovers kiss.

attachicon.gif20160319_152419.jpg

Did it feel anymore comfortable having an iron at address than a hybrid?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

The Best​ there is Now and Future ! A Collector club for sure .

​This is an investment not a purchase.#GenFLX #C200 â€‹When people see these they know you mean business . Design,Craftsmanship,ahead of the rest.

Well, I ventured out to the local PGASS for the Wilson Staff Fitting.. here are my thoughts:

• I signed up online for a slotted time (11:00am). Got a confirming email AND a phone call from W/S. Really didn't expect that.
  • When I showed up, the Palo Alto PGASS set up the poor W/S rep right at the front door as soon as you walk in. Meaning, when the rep was doing fittings, no one was manning the table. PGASS also had him pass out PGASS contest entries as well...
  • I showed up and introduced myself to the rep who's response was "oh, ok. Sure". I'm not sure it is was the W/S rep, or W/S corporate, but the rep didn't even have a list of who was signed up, what time or anything. 
  • The PGASS was also apathetic to the demo as we had to wait to get the "reserved" bay, then once we got in, it took about another 15min to get the rep set up with the simulator.
  • I did get a short sleeve (2 pc) of golf balls afterward, but the $20 PGASS gift card was non existent. 

Once in, I hit a bunch of 7i's with different shaft configurations, as well as some clubs from W/S's other lines as a comparison. Here are my thoughts of the C200's

• The topline of the C200 was much thinner than I had expected. I guess I was expecting a style of club more in line with the Titleist AP-1. This was refreshing.
  • The feel off the clubface was soft... really soft. I can usually tell where on the face I hit the ball, I didn't have that feedback with the C200. Every strike felt the same. I think that's what W/S was going for with this line. If so, they did it.
  • Never trust the readings in the simulator.... with these range balls, the simulator was saying I was hitting the 7i about 144 yards. My typical 7i is about 165-170. 
  • W/S doesn't call these a "Game Improvement" iron. They call them a "Game Enjoyment" iron. Slick marketing? Perhaps. But it is a refreshing take on playing the game.
  • I got to hit a 4i from the demo set at the W/S display. The 4i has a bit more offset than I'm used to (my handicap is sitting at 15.1 from a low of 10), but again it felt the same as the 7i. I would venture a guess that from 4i to the gap wedge the feel of the irons are the same. 
  • Also got to hit the gap wedge from the set. The simulator distance was actually pretty close to real... confusing as to how the 7i and 4i distance were so far off.
  • I also hit several shots with a FG Tour v4 7i to compare. The v4 is closer to an AP-2 iron if I had to describe something to compare it to. The v4's were good. No difference in distance according to the simulator
  • Going back to the C200 7i after hitting the v4's was like going from a wooden bat (v4) to an aluminum bat (C200). I really didn't notice it when I started with the C200's, but when I went back to the C200's it was like night and day. You would really feel the trampoline effect of the face. I would have like to have been outside on a range with a bucket of decent balls to actually see the flight and distance. 
  • I must have hit 100 balls during my 70min or so in the simulator bay... I think the distance dispersion with my 7i with Stiff, X-stiff, and regular shafts was about 1.5 yards, at least according to the computer. I wish I could have hit the clubs with decent balls on a range.

Pics: 

1. W/S Demo Rack
  2. Waiting for the W/S rep to get trained on the simulator
  3. C200 7i back
  4. C200 7i player's view
  5. 7i shot tracker
  6. C200 4i player's view

DSC01702.JPG

DSC01703.JPG

DSC01705.JPG

DSC01706.JPG

DSC01707.JPG

DSC01710.JPG

Using a random assortment of generic stuff with last gen Golfsmith Snake Eyes forged irons. 

Did it feel anymore comfortable having an iron at address than a hybrid?

My hybrids are iron type, so I didn't have too much issue at all.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I had the opportunity to demo the new C200. To say they are the same as all other golf clubs are an understatement. They are extremely forgiving, easy to hit and an exceptional golf club of the future. I was averaging 25-30 yards longer than my current TaylorMade R9. I have always been a TaylorMade fan, but now I am a fan of Wilson Staff. I would not be ashamed to have people see these on my bag. If they were to ask I would tell them to hit them, but you can't steal them.

If you haven't hit them go HIT THEM!!

#MyGolfSpyC200

#C200

#GenFLX

!uploadfromtaptalk1458511700878.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

The first new full set of Irons I had ever purchased was a set of Wilson Ci 9's. I have been happily playing with them for the past 6 years.

I got to demo the C200's at golfsmith in Edina, MN. The C200's felt smoother, more forgiving and were longer than my current Wilson irons! With the amazing new technology and products that Wilson has been producing, I think they might have me on the hook as a lifetime player. Amazing stuff!!!!

image.jpeg

Had the chance to Demo these clubs 3 times now.

I am lucky enough to have a great super shop in Sacramento that carries the entire line of Staff clubs.

I have been a fan of Wilson Staff for years now.

Started with the 50 golf ball, then the Duo, FG wedges and so on.

I demo'd the C100's last year at a small demo day event near my house.  They were beside TM, CWY and Nike and I hit them all.

I was looking at the M3 irons when they handed me the C100's.

The club felt perfect in weight, balance and impact.  All that was right off the shelf.  They built me 3 or 4 different combination of shafts and flexes but none improved the feel.

I picked the clubs up the next week and put them in my bag.  I also picked up the M3 fairway and hybrid.

I'm a straight ball hitter and these clubs are perfect.  Great feel, Great sound, great mid flight, land soft and consistent.  I can make the Duo check-up or even spin back with almost every club in the bag.

I gave the C200's and F5's a try this last weekend.  Both felt great in the hand and wonderful sound at impact.  

For me the F5 felt most like my C100's in weight and sound.  I could make that switch mid-round and not miss a beat.

The C200's were very solid and super smooth at impact.  They will take a little bit of time to get used to with that whisper quiet sound at impact.  I can't wait for another demo event so I can hit them on grass instead of a mat to see the divot pattern/shape and how it cuts through the turf.  

it was hard to tell if the distance was greater with the C200's.  The super shop has a large outdoor range for testing clubs, but terrible markings to gauge distance.

The C100's are monsters for distance, and I would expect these to outpace them.

I am going on line to order the 14 day demo clubs and play them side by side with my current staff gear.

WP_20160319_12_44_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20160319_12_43_23_Pro-1.jpg

WP_20160319_12_43_29_Pro-1.jpg

WP_20160319_12_44_14_Pro.jpg

CA Golfer

Growing up in Chicago and watching Michael Jordan play basketball, there was always a time when I saw the name "Wilson" and knew it was associated with basketball and golf. Immediately I have always known that Wilson is part of greatness and THE best! My very first set of clubs was a set of Wilson Junior clubs! Let's fast forward here to 2016 and my visit to a Golfsmith in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

The Wilson C200 irons have a great look clean look at address:

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

Having hit a few shots with the irons it immediately feels like the ball just explodes right off of the face!

IMG_1088.JPG

With my handicap, I would feel that these irons would help a ton out with distance and some shot shaping! 

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

The FLX Face seems to create a nice effect at impact. I did not feel any vibration from hitting golf balls. Nearly felt like cutting butter with a hot knife!

Overall, I was impressed at the performance and the very classy design that is very worth of the Wilson Golf name. I'd love to have these clubs in my bag any day out on the course!

Twitter: @EdmundCruz 

@ChiGolfAth 

What's In The Bag:

Driver:  Tour Edge Golf EX9 10 degrees, UST Mamiya ATTAS COOOL Stiff Flex
Hybrid:  Tour Edge Golf Exotics EX9 #3 Hybrid, UST MAMIYA RECOIL 670 F4 Stiff Flex
Irons:
:benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15 Irons, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47 KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Wedges:
:benhogan-small: TK 15 Wedges, 51, 55, 59. KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Putter: Buzelli Golf STA-1, Standard Loft/Lie
Ball:  Snell Golf My Tour Ball 

I was able to test out these amazing clubs yesterday at Edwin Watts in Jacksonville, Fl. Thanks to Edwin Watts and Wilson for having a demo day. I tested out a 7 iron with a stiff shaft. This iron was not only forgiving, but long. I am currently playing a set of Ping Eye 2s and after hitting this, I'm thinking it is finally time to upgrade. I would love the opportunity to put these great clubs in my bag. ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1458517235.528536.jpgImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1458517253.712841.jpgImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1458517266.148969.jpg

Growing up in Chicago and watching Michael Jordan play basketball, there was always a time when I saw the name "Wilson" and knew it was associated with basketball and golf. Immediately I have always known that Wilson is part of greatness and THE best! My very first set of clubs was a set of Wilson Junior clubs! Let's fast forward here to 2016 and my visit to a Golfsmith in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

The Wilson C200 irons have a great look clean look at address:

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

Having hit a few shots with the irons it immediately feels like the ball just explodes right off of the face!

IMG_1088.JPG

With my handicap, I would feel that these irons would help a ton out with distance and some shot shaping!

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

The FLX Face seems to create a nice effect at impact. I did not feel any vibration from hitting golf balls. Nearly felt like cutting butter with a hot knife!

Overall, I was impressed at the performance and the very classy design that is very worth of the Wilson Golf name. I'd love to have these clubs in my bag any day out on the course!

Better than those new hogans?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Today I went to The Golf Mart Del Mar in California to try out the new #WilsonStaff #C200 irons. I really need these in my bag! My swing felt so good and I was crushing the ball. With the 7 iron I was doing high bomb draws on the range. Currently I am playing FG-51's and I am definitely looking to upgrade. These will be in my future! They have such a sleek design and was able to hit them a long way. For some reason I can't post a photo on here, but peep the Instagram @nolancool #mygolfspyc200 #C200 #GenFLX

I'm the assistant golf pro at Stillwater oaks golf course in Stillwater mn. our golf pro supports Wilson clubs, plays them, and sells them in our pro shop. I would love to win a set of the new Wilson C200's. Wilson makes great clubs and balls.

This is an edit to the post. Hopefully this doesn't change the post time. Because my original post was before the deadline.

I wanted to add, if I win the Wilson C200's or the "head to toe" Wilson gear and clubs, I will most definitely be promoting Wilson all golf season at Stillwater Oaks Golf Course when I'm working and anytime I'm golfing. I currently play Taylor made irons, but have been looking at the Wilson's since last season.

Thank you for this opportunity to win Wilson gear and spread the word on how great Wilson golf gear is.

images (1).jpg

I demo'd the C200 irons at golfsmith. Love them I was hitting the 7 iron consistently 10-15 yards farther than my current iron. The ball exploded off the face. They were amazing!

image.jpeg

It was 2003. I'd just gotten out of the Navy and moved back home to Colorado. My Dad was a somewhat regular golf hack and wanted me to go out with him more often. Up until then, I'd never really played golf more than sneaking his old clubs out of his bag as a kid and hitting whatever balls I'd find into the side of our ½ acre yard as hard as I could. Little did I know that massive slice I had as a 12 year old would still be there years later.

So, we went to the store and looked and looked and on a whim I picked up some … Wilsons. MBT-45's to be exact. (Fun fact: they don't even show up on the PGA price list anymore). My brother heard the news that I got some Wilsons (he's an avid Ping guy) and said “Do you even know what you're doing? No one gets Wilsons, dude!”. It was true. I had no idea what I was doing. In fact, I probably still don't.

But, I played and played and played and practiced and practiced and practiced. Soon, bogeys turned into pars, pars into birdies, then back into bogeys, then into +3's, then back into pars … you know the drill. But one thing stayed the same: I still had my Wilsons.

Sure, my friends had WAY nicer stuff, way cooler irons, they'd goad me for having Wilsons and ya know what? They didn't score any better, they couldn't hit any further. I basically have the next to bargain basement MBT-45's and they were just as good as the Pings, the TaylorMade's, the Adams, the Cobra's … I remember the day I finally beat my brother with his Ping i5's. Ever seen a grown 30yr old man cry? Well, neither have I, but I know inside he was crying. Yeah, that's right, Kevin … inside you were crying.

I've had these for so long I didn't even buy my first hybrid until last year. Wanna know why? Because I had a Wilson 3 and 4 iron. It's all I'd ever known. My 3 iron? About 205-215 yards. My 4 iron? A good 185-190 yards. Who needs a hybrid, right? Now, the ball may roll another 20-30 yards, and a bad hit will put you in Kansas, but I digress.

I've loved these things, but it's time to upgrade. I know my 5 iron loft is probably a 6 or 7 in 2016 loft and they are starting to wear. But they're mine, ya know? That 90 I broke? Wilson's. That 80 I broke? Wilsons. What's the next question after you tell a stranger about your best round? They ask “Oh, what do you play?”. Yeah, you heard me right. I play Wilson.

Here's my trusty Wilson MBT-45 3 iron. I still clean it about every 2 weeks, should probably re-grip ‘em soon. Light as a feather (like the new C200's) and smack like a Mack truck. DO NOT hit a cheap ball with these things. It will feel like sticking a car battery to your tongue:

d5rtDif.jpg

Am I biased towards Wilson? Maybe a little. They've always been by my side. They've told me when I need to be better and they've told me when I was perfect. They are literally the only clubs I've ever known.

(Cue USA flag-in-the-background music here)

They've been through untold scrambles, Nassau's, Vegas beer-blast tourney's, fescue, bahama, rye, bent and everything in between. They were there when I almost got that hole in one last week on the 7th at Sand Creek. They were there when I smacked that guys house on the 1st at Gleneagle. They were there when I bet $20 on closest-to-the-hole with my Pops at Keystone and crushed an old man's soul. They were there when I found a pink Volvik ball and smacked it 5 ft from the pin 180 out.

These aren't just my stories. They are Wilson stories too.

So, that brings us to today and the C200's. The feel when I picked it up was almost exactly like mine: familiar, light, great topline, confident. The Golfsmith I was at only had the 7 iron with KBS Tour90 for the shaft (very nice shaft btw). I took my first swing and (WHAM!) 176 yards with a slight draw about 8yds off the line. Ohhhhhhhhh man, this should not be happening. I think my MBT-45 7 iron on a good day I can hit about 155 or so. This … this is something else.

Took about 10 hits and almost exact same trajectory and speed (76mph) and felt like butter every time. Offset is just right. You know when you hit this club perfect. Zzzzza-fink! Clean and penetrating.

They are damn good looking clubs and will make anyone you play with jealous. I would love to keep the Wilson fame going here in Colorado. I've got more stories to write.

NAZfiIT.jpg

Driver -- :taylormade-small: R1 on a Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis

2h -- :nickent-small: 17° on stock shaft

4h -- :benhogan-small: 24° on a Aldila RIP 55g

Irons -- :wilson_staff_small: MBT-45s (Circa 2003)

Wedges -- Dunlop 56° P.O.S.

Putter -- :yes-small: C-Groove Sandy

Balls -- Volvik Crystal/Titelist NTX Tour S/Whatever I find in the Woods!

Archived