Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New Mallet Cover

There just aren't many options out there for cool mallet covers.  One of the only companies I can find that does custom ones is GirlyGolfer.  I know her covers are great (I have 2 blades she did a while back) but I didn't want to wait for her turn around time or spend $60 on another cover.

So after emailing every company I could find that had a cool blade cover and asking if they could make it in a mallet I decided to just make my own.

I start googling blue leather and found a guy in MN that has a ton of stuff.  I bought 3lbs of scrap leather for less than $10.  I bought some magnets from Home Depot for $3 and I had the rest of the supplies already.

I used an old cover and traced out my pattern.  

Cover 1.jpg

Added some fake sherpa lining I had left over from a previous headcover project.

Cover 2.jpgCover 3.JPG

Stitching it is by far the most time consuming part, but it's not terrible.  Poke a few holes with the awl, put in a couple stitches.  repeat for an hour.

Cover 4.JPGCover 5.JPG

Finished product on an Odyssey Works #7.  It turned out not bad.  I like it because I made it, but you can definitely tell it's not made by a leather craftsman :)

IMG_3971.JPGIMG_3972.JPGIMG_3973.JPGIMG_3974.JPG

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Very nice, especially since I just bought a Yes Groove Tube Putter without a cover.  I may be using your tutorial to make one for mine.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Hcky we need to talk. LOL

I swear stitching together a head cover is probably the last thing I'd ever attempt to do. You are one handy kind of guy. And... your head cover looks pretty darn good I must say.

I think MGS needs to start a new award each month for guys that do stuff like this. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and proclaim you the MGS Innovator of the Month. Congratulations!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

There just aren't many options out there for cool mallet covers.  One of the only companies I can find that does custom ones is GirlyGolfer.  I know her covers are great (I have 2 blades she did a while back) but I didn't want to wait for her turn around time or spend $60 on another cover.

So after emailing every company I could find that had a cool blade cover and asking if they could make it in a mallet I decided to just make my own.

I start googling blue leather and found a guy in MN that has a ton of stuff.  I bought 3lbs of scrap leather for less than $10.  I bought some magnets from Home Depot for $3 and I had the rest of the supplies already.

I used an old cover and traced out my pattern.  

attachicon.gifCover 1.jpg

Added some fake sherpa lining I had left over from a previous headcover project.

attachicon.gifCover 2.jpgattachicon.gifCover 3.JPG

Stitching it is by far the most time consuming part, but it's not terrible.  Poke a few holes with the awl, put in a couple stitches.  repeat for an hour.

attachicon.gifCover 4.JPGattachicon.gifCover 5.JPG

Finished product on an Odyssey Works #7.  It turned out not bad.  I like it because I made it, but you can definitely tell it's not made by a leather craftsman :)

attachicon.gifIMG_3971.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3972.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3973.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3974.JPG

The way you have it stitched together, is it possible to turn it inside out? Or is it too stiff?  I was thinking maybe it could be sewed together inside out to begin with then flipped.  Just a thought.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Anybody still sporting Bumbles head cover??

It's in the garage on an extra club, I stopped using it when I had Bestgrips make my Transformers covers

The way you have it stitched together, is it possible to turn it inside out? Or is it too stiff?  I was thinking maybe it could be sewed together inside out to begin with then flipped.  Just a thought.

You could absolutely do that.  It was a conscious decision to leave the stitching visible.  I wanted the look of contrasting white stitching on blue leather.

nice job Hckymeyer.  I made one in college out of a Crown Royal bag, it lasted about a year. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

• 2 months later...

Interesting, I just gave my putter a name and am trying to find a new cover for my Cleveland Classic......

I'm going to look up girly golfers

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

http://girlygolfer.com/

Looks like they make some cool stuff.....$60 really isn't bad for a custom made cover

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

http://girlygolfer.com/

Looks like they make some cool stuff.....$60 really isn't bad for a custom made cover

She makes very nice covers, I have two blade covers from her that I had done a few years back.  The biggest reason I went a different direction was the time frame.  I didn't want to wait 2 months for the cover.

Not too shabby for the first time. I'll still go to to GirlyGolfer for my mallet covers, because she's 10 minutes from me......and married to my cousin. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It's all about networking and who you know...lucky guy. I'll need to check out her site.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Hckymeyer, great job on the mallet cover.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Archived