Thanks for posting this. I have been struggling with this lately, especially with driver. I am striking the ball better, but occasionally I still balloon one high and right. The common feeling on those swings is that my stance in relation to the ball isn't quite right. I plan on using the guides next range session and seeing if I can get a better handle on it. Thanks again

• Like 2

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is, at the same time, rewarding and maddening--and is, without a doubt, the greatest game mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer

Funny, I just watched a golf channel piece with Johnny Miller discussing this very topic.  Jack Nicklaus played every shot with the ball opposite a point just inside his left heel.  Johnny hit his higher clubs toward the center gradually moving the ball toward his left foot as the lofts decreased.   

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Hey Fireinthehole

I have been struggling with this exact thing. I found this video (in the link) incredibly helpful. I instituted it in my practice with alignment sticks and on the course. Really helped my ball striking immensely. I got a small case of the "fats" early in the season and started moving the ball further and further back to compensate. That threw my whole swing off. This was a really helpful and repeatable way to place the ball in a good hitting position (it also looks like other folks in this thread are using it one form or another too).

ball position for irons...

http://www.golfwrx.com/379344/hamilton-finding-the-perfect-ball-position-with-your-irons/

ball position (posture) for driver I also found helpful to think about...

• Like 1

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Hey Fireinthehole

I have been struggling with this exact thing. I found this video (in the link) incredibly helpful. I instituted it in my practice with alignment sticks and on the course. Really helped my ball striking immensely. I got a small case of the "fats" early in the season and started moving the ball further and further back to compensate. That threw my whole swing off. This was a really helpful and repeatable way to place the ball in a good hitting position (it also looks like other folks in this thread are using it one form or another too).

ball position for irons...

http://www.golfwrx.com/379344/hamilton-finding-the-perfect-ball-position-with-your-irons/

ball position (posture) for driver I also found helpful to think about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sodnZKVouGM

Thank you so much for posting this video!! I've always believed in shoulder tilt with the driver and focused on getting my head behind the ball. However I've really been struggling. I've never used track man but I'm pretty sure I usually hit down on the ball with the driver so negative attack zone. Today at the range I put this drill in place and never hit it better. It was all about getting that front foot against the alignment rod and feeling everything in place. Can't wait to see if it goes to the course with me!

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

• Like 2

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Thank you so much for posting this video!! I've always believed in shoulder tilt with the driver and focused on getting my head behind the ball. However I've really been struggling. I've never used track man but I'm pretty sure I usually hit down on the ball with the driver so negative attack zone. Today at the range I put this drill in place and never hit it better. It was all about getting that front foot against the alignment rod and feeling everything in place. Can't wait to see if it goes to the course with me!

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

Glad it's working for you. It was just a really effective video showing the angle of attack and just how important it was for launch angle and carry using trackman data. 

For me at least, I can not only feel, but also see when I have a negative angle of attack. 

Negative angle of attack: The ball is hit hard but on a line drive with minimal rise, usually a good result though.

Positive angle of attack: The ball just launches high with a penetrating flight. It looks far. It takes a while to come back down to earth... DEEP

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Glad it's working for you. It was just a really effective video showing the angle of attack and just how important it was for launch angle and carry using trackman data.

For me at least, I can not only feel, but also see when I have a negative angle of attack.

Negative angle of attack: The ball is hit hard but on a line drive with minimal rise, usually a good result though.

Positive angle of attack: The ball just launches high with a penetrating flight. It looks far. It takes a while to come back down to earth... DEEP

When I hit down on it then I get a low start that spins up. Goes straight but I lose distance obviously. I was launching it tonight. Like I said, I practice this and I setup with tilted shoulders but the alignment grid really helped me to get the ball and feet in the right position.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

• 1 month later...

I hit the majority of my clubs left of centre for a right hander. Just off the left heal when hitting the driver and 3-wood.

What I find is because I've got the golf ball more forward for all of my clubs this will naturally open up the stance a little bit. This used to cause pulls or pull draws. 

I make sure to slightly pull my left (lead) hip and shoulder around to the right to square them up better. This gets the ball flight started better on line.

Hope that helps.

Mizuno MP-25 irons, R/H, N.S. Pro 950GH regular shafts

Cobra King LTD 8.5 degrees driver, R/H stiff Aldila Rogue shaft

Titleist 3-wood 915F, 15 degrees, Diamana stiff flex shaft

Queensland, Australia

Handicap 5

www.HittingItSolid.com

The Perfect Golf Swing

favicon-96x96.png

I line up just off my left heel for my drives, with a drop in my right shoulder to enhamce the angle of attack. My irons are pretty much directly between my feet, with 9i thru SW just inside my right foot.

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

• 6 months later...

I'm a little unorthodox; maybe a lot unorthodox but I play a constant position for all clubs. But it really isn't the positioning of the ball it's the positioning of my club. I play my club directly in front of me in the middle of my stance. So the ball is just left of that. I never change it no matter what the club. So you have guessed it, I hit down on the ball with my driver. I also grip the club with a ten finger grip and thumbs go straight down the center of the grip. I'm a straight ball hitter and because everything is the same I hit all of my balls just about straight just at different trajectories and lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I move the ball all over the place. Driver is usually inside the left foot, but irons and wedges vary a lot. Stock shot is dead center, but anything high or to the right moves it forward. Anything left or low tends to drift backward. I even hit some short, low chip shots with the ball behind my right foot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I pretty much go with the Nicklaus method. I do play my driver even with my toes on lead foot. It also depends on your stance width.

I would balloon shots if I put the ball that far forward.

• Like 2

I would balloon shots if I put the ball that far forward.

I have a 120mph SS, so I have to put the ball there to have time for the face to square. If I get it inside my foot at all, it's a 300' high fade.

• Like 2

The very first lesson I ever took, the last thing the pro showed me was playing every club just off your left in step to learn to shift your weight and hit through the ball. Eventually move the ball back a little bit at a time. Personally I play my wedges and short irons just back of centre, mid-long irons just forward of centre, and 3w, driver just off the left instep

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

The very first lesson I ever took, the last thing the pro showed me was playing every club just off your left in step to learn to shift your weight and hit through the ball. Eventually move the ball back a little bit at a time. Personally I play my wedges and short irons just back of centre, mid-long irons just forward of centre, and 3w, driver just off the left instep

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That is great advice Canucklehead.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

​​Ball just inside left heal and then  move right foot back a bit for each club down to driver.

• Like 1

Callaway  Rogue ST Max Driver 10.5
Cleveland Launcher xl halo hy-wood 18 Degree
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 7- wood
Cleveland Launcher XL Irons 5 - PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey
  White Hot OG 7S Putter

There are basically two schools of thought on ball position relative to club. One is a constant ball position in the stance regardless of club type and length, the other is progressively moving the ball back in the stance from driver to wedge. Both have proven validity, but only one has the advantage of being easier to replicate from shot to shot. For this reason alone (and maybe because some of the most successful golfers of all time also used this technique) I tend to favour the constant ball position. If I need to move the ball in the air I may alter the ball position slightly, but for the majority of shots the single ball position proposal works just fine. 

For the amateur and higher index players out there, a set up routine that eliminates any errors prior to the backswing (i.e. grip, stance, alignment, ball position) are the fundamental building blocks of hitting better shots. If you don't already possess a set up routine that takes this key requirement into consideration, then the constant ball position theory certainly makes this a lot easier to perfect.

• Like 5

Ended up reading how hogan use to set up before each shot and played the best I have at the tail end of last year and played well enough to shoot 79 this weekend with very little winter golf. Getting a better sound from iron shots and accuracy.

Wasn't looking forward to a 4th golf swing overhaul in 4 years but glad I took a chance!

• Like 2

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV