gkatshoots69

Golf Shoes - Worth the Price?

Our Sponsors

It's been awhile since I've posted anything but this has me stumped... golf shoes are insanely expensive!  I just saw that UA released 3 models of shoes and the cheapest one is $160 for spikeless and the highest is $220, do people really pay that amount for golf shoes? These are golf shoes, not some Italian leather loafer, golf shoes that a majority of regular amateurs probably wear 1 to 2 times a week.  For me, last years model on ebay for $40-$50 gets the job done, my feet are going to be just as stable as the person next to me who spent 4 times the amount I did.  Heck I don't even spend that kind of money on sneakers or dress shoes that I wear everyday! What performance boost is $200 shoes going to give you? I know this isn't the first pair of shoes to retail for $200 but you would think with UA coming into the shoe game that they might offer something that is a little more affordable.  Look at Adidas, they have shoes that range all of the map as far as price.  I know people buy them and that's why prices can be so high but it just baffles my mind, spend that $200 on a hybrid instead I'm pretty sure that will improve your game more so than shoes will.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on this, why do you buy $200 golf shoes?

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

Personally I don't buy $200 golf shoes. I wait until the $200 shoes are a year old and then buy them for $100 or somewhere in that ballpark. And as for being worth it, hell yes. I have one pair of cheap adidas spikes and I almost never wear them. They just aren't as comfortable and good as my more expensive pairs. My suggestion is to do some shopping around and find last years model of the expensive shoes that fit your feet correctly and snatch em up. They are 100% worth it to me although I tend to walk alot of my rounds vs riding so its more important for me than some.

• Like 3

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

You don't......there are plenty of affordable shoes on the market for $50 - $100.

I have not paid retail for golf shoes in at least 8 - 10 years.....and i have about 9 pairs.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra King F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Cobra King F8 GW(50*) SW(54*) LW(58*) Putter: 33" Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 mallet putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I just got the new FJ Freestyle shoes. Had some pro shop credit left over so I ended up paying $120 instead of $160. I don't mind spending the money on good shoes. I walk 18 holes 3-4 times a week so it's worth it for me.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have no problem paying 200 for a shoe I really like and want because I know that I'm gonna get my money's worth. I bought the TW 13s when they came out and have used them since so about 4+ years and they're still kicking. For me shoes are as important as a club. I am looking for new shoes but if I can't find any the TWs will stay in the bag so to speak.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

A few years ago when Edwin Watts went under, I got a pair of DryJoy Tours, FJ Contour BOA's and FJ Sport BOA's for $120!

Driver: Cobra King F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Cobra King F8 GW(50*) SW(54*) LW(58*) Putter: 33" Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 mallet putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Certainly, golf shoes are worth the money. As long as you are talking less than $100. Buying the lasted shoes makes even less sense to me than buying the latest driver.

I have no problem paying 200 for a shoe....

Wow, that's $400 a pair.

• Like 4

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I just got the new FJ Freestyle shoes. Had some pro shop credit left over so I ended up paying $120 instead of $160. I don't mind spending the money on good shoes. I walk 18 holes 3-4 times a week so it's worth it for me.

I just got a pair of those myself and wore them for the first time Sunday.  I thought they were extremely comfortable.

Would I pay $200 for a pair of shoes? Probably not. That said, I tend to be more of a value buyer than a "must have the latest model" buyer with shoes...

I walk 95% or so of my rounds, so comfort is an absolute must and often comes at a premium. But that premium doesn't mean it has to be the newest thing...I'm a huge fan of Ecco and snagged 2 pr. on closeout for $120..both were over $200 new...

No way. I'm a bargain hunter for the most part and bought my last pair of True's for about $70 when they were on sale.

Having said that, I'm seriously considering the new True Elements Hybrids for $120.

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

image.png

Im with others here, buy $150 pair when they are around $80. You guys have seen pictures of me. Clearly I'm not a high fashion guy. I dress Golf Appropriate but don't need to be in today's fashion. We all have are budget limitations.

Like anything they are worth exactly what people are willing to pay for them.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

The only shoe I have bought that I think would justify its 200+ price are the Adidas Adipure 360's that were released in 2014 and 2015. I can wear the black ones with anything

And I have tried the following, but nothing compares to their comfort, flexibility, durability and traction,

Nike Control I, II, and III

Nike TW '14, and '15

Footjoy Icons, DNA, Dryjoy tour, Superlites, 

Adidas Tour 360

Ecco Bioms, Tour hybrids,

True linkswear

But if you ask the next guy his list would be different. and as Undershooter said, wait till they drop. I picked up 3 more pairs of the Adipures at 79.99 each :)

• Like 1

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Rogue 9*, UST chrome 7F5T 

Fairway:     :taylormade-small: M5 3 wood, UST chrome 7F5T

Irons:        :titelist-small: TMB 3i &  :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     :titelist-small: Voke SM7 LTD Jet Black 

Putter:       :bettinardi-small: Queen Bee #9

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I walk so for me I don't mind spending the cash on a good shoe, I just bought the Puma Titan tours that MGS reviewed a while back and they are extremely comfortable. I like to walk whenever I can so comfortable shoes are a must.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've never paid over $120 for a pair of golf shoes. With the amount of sales and deals these days you can always find something good.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

There are two items where you don't skimp on quality:  shoes and a bed.  That being said, most golfers don't have to spend $200 or more for shoes.  Quality shoes can be bought one year out of style or from discount golf stores for $50 to $100.  

Unfortunately, I fall in the small group that has great trouble buying shoes from stores.  I have wide feet and one foot is half a size smaller than the other.  A few years ago I ordered a custom pair of Myjoys (which allows you to order each foot in a different size) and I must say I've never been happier with my shoes.  They cost more than $200.  

I think the shoes are a good investment.  My feet feel better and I have much more energy in my legs after a round.  I don't generally walk 7 miles in my regular shoes, but I do so in my golf shoes several times a week.  

• Like 1

I have a pair of original Adidas Tour 360 and have replaced the spikes several times.  I think they were $160 but Golfsmith had a trade-in for $40 off, so I gave them my old worn out whatever-they-were shoes.  They are very comfortable but I do not walk in them; too heavy.  My walking shoes are True Linkswear.  I'm on pair #6; bought the True Elements a little over a month ago for $114.  Every pair is the same size and fit exactly the same, and I can walk all day in them.  I wore out the spikeless "spikes" on pair #2 but continued to wear them for every day until my wife said they were disgusting and through them out!

MattF, I do have an issue with the Elements and will post it in that thread shortly.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

No golf show is worth 200 dollars, or at least in my pay scale they aren't. I do think you need to have good quality shoes to play, but you can find that for a much better price than 200 if you take a it of time and look.

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

There has been discussion among my regular foursome regarding shoes lately. One of the guys went all in for spikeless, another said he is going spikeless because you can't afford the replacement spikes. I, for one, prefer spikes, as I need sure footing both when swinging the club and while walking. I purchased several pair of replacement spikes a few years back when Edwin Watts was clearing out. I still have 2 sets.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Certainly, golf shoes are worth the money. As long as you are talking less than $100. Buying the lasted shoes makes even less sense to me than buying the latest driver.

Wow, that's $400 a pair.

Good thing we only got two feet

Bought Footjoy dry joys tours last year's model, for $109, $80 off. Never buy anything unless it has the little orange sticker on top of the original white sticker. Multiple orange stickers even better.

• Like 1

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

I really think that shoes are a lot like other equipment in golf. If you can wait a year or so, you can therapy get some good deals, but you have to be willing to wait.

• Like 2

Lefties are always in their Right Mind