Golf Shoes - Worth the Price?

gkatshoots69

My ethos with everything is to to buy the best I can afford, which like many of you means buying sale bargains. Get last years top of the range for the price of this years bottom of the range.

So in the winter I look for shoes and summer clothes. Always look for waterproofs in the height of summer etc.

My wife bought me some Adidas Boost Boa for my birthday, about 100 dollars but the RRP on these last year was probably twice that.

• Like 1

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Westy!  How are you doing?  Great to hear from you.

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Hey Westy, how do you like the Addidas BOA?  I have 3 pair of BOA in the FJ line.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and SCOR 4161 54*/57* wedges V sole & Genius 10 shafts…Cleveland RTX Zipcore (54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts on back burner for now.

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

Welcome back Westy, the discount clothes horse!  ;)

It seems like most people on this forum are people looking for a bargain to cut golf costs, but still want and look for the better brands and models.  MGS's are serious golfers that want serious products, and last year's models do just fine.  Some people want the latest stuff, and that's great but why pass up bargains??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well it's been a fun winter, floods floods and a few more floods! No fun when it's part of your job. Played a few holes this week for first time in 5 months and it went ok - new seasons a week or two away and I'm stoked.

I've had FJ boas before and liked them, the adidas ones seem to be to be lighter.

It's a quandary, I like the leather and quality of footjoy but the lightness and stability of adidas. Mind you there's no excuse for the amount of shoes I have.

And MGS folk love a bargain? Hell yes, cheaper it is the more we can buy!

• Like 4

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Westy, i got my FJ BOA's for $50-$60 a pair!  Now that's an MGS Bargain!

• Like 1

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and SCOR 4161 54*/57* wedges V sole & Genius 10 shafts…Cleveland RTX Zipcore (54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts on back burner for now.

The biggest factor I find for me now is the heel. I do not like the traditional C heel, I prefer the U that leaves room for your Achilles. If you where no show socks "traditional heels" aggravate my heel. Another thing I like about these adidas is the insole doesn't wear as fast as other brands and they weren't just some cheap foam.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Value is one that is associated to the person owning it and really no other. Are there possibly better things to spend your money on; without question but I also like the idea of trying to look nice if possible at all times. Also I believe you get what you pay for. I have six pairs of http://www.patrickgibbonshandmade.com/product-category/shoes/golf-shoes/the-scottsdale/

and I love how they look and feel. Also, Patrick is one of my friends so I always try and support my friends.

I have 5 pairs of footjoys. All have been reasonably comfortable but not great.  I bought a pair of Salomon speed cross 3 mountaineering sneakers. Just over $100 on sale. They have 1/4" v shaped "spikes" on the soles. They are the most comfortable shoes I have worn. I walked 18 holes with no aches or pains at all. I bought 2 pair of the waterproof version this winter.

• Like 1

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

Preferences are ECCO and True Linskwear. I find the ECCO's last a hell of a lot longer for golf that the True's - but both are good to wear long after the nubs have worn down. Wore my white True wing tips all winter long.

When I went to the adidas Tour360 Boost event they did hook us up with a pair. I like them - pretty comfy but I seriously doubt I'd pay $200 for them. They'd be an offseason purchase at best.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSi3  
FW Wood: PXG Gen4 2-wood
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*
Irons:; PXG 0211; :Hogan: Pro Combo; :benhogan-small:FTX Combo;:benhogan-small:'99 Apex Plus; :benhogan-small:'99 Apex blades; :macgregor-small: 2010 VIP irons; :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTZ ZipCore: :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60
Putter: :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: Buckingham; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X; :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV; :wilson-small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think I paid $140 my most expensive shoes. Got them 4 yrs ago and all I've done is replace laces, spikes and insoles.

If you make a big investment, better take care of them and they'll take care of you.

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

• Like 1
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Not proud to admit this...but I did buy a pair of the Jordan ST Trainers!  I bought a pair of TW13s in late 2013 and they were worth every penny, still wear them every round but I figure I spend a ton of $$ on clubs and other crap, why not on shoes??  In all seriousness, it was an impulse buy...but damn they are sooooo comfortable.  I am debating on selling them before I wear them out of the house but it is going to be tough not to go play in them.   

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

I normally wait till the end of the year when a pair is put on clearance if I buy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

$150 is my limit. But worth it? Yes. They keep my feet dry in the dew, and I have foot problems, so they must be comfortable but traditional. Not those tennis shoe things which I can feel the spikes thru.

I'm on my 2nd pair of FJ Custom Contours, the best value in golf shoes. Custom made with my colors and logo for $150. Problem is, I can't find them anymore. FJ replaced the Contour line with Icon, which cut my ankles, and their Tipshield lines which are around $230. There's no end to Titleist and FJ ripping you off.

My first pair of FJ Custom Contours are about 5 years old, the 2nd about 2 years. I walk a fair amount, so must have shoes that don't hurt my feet, and these are great. I ordered both pair from TGW and tho they said 5 weeks, they both came straight from China in 2 weeks. Soft leather, polished, no break-in needed. I'm sure some craftsman in China wants to keep making these, but the marketing execs at FJ said, "nah, we can increase our profit margin on the top of the line shoe."

• 3 weeks later...

I have big wide feet. I need good shoes or my feet are barking by the end of the round. I always look for bargains and year old designs or close out can be great finds. I typical stick to FootJoys or Addidas. With wide feet you are limited in selection as not all styles are offered in wide.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Titleist 917F

5 wood: Titleist 917F

irons Taylormade M2 6-PW

hybrids Taylormade 4 and 5

wedges: Titleist SM8 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback

I think they are worth it for the traction even the pattern on spike less shoes. In the end though I think it's your preference over anything

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I can see myself paying up to $200 for special shoes like Jordan's or something different like Tiger's (I love the comfort of the Nike Free)

Otherwise, I'll wait for clearance and closeouts and keep the price under $100.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Side note to this thread. I replaced all the spikes on my TW shoes the other day and holy crap. I would rather pull my own teeth than do that again. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Side note to this thread. I replaced all the spikes on my TW shoes the other day and holy crap. I would rather pull my own teeth than do that again.

Yep! I did that last season and I thought I'd end up dying before I got them all out.

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I need to score a pair of the High top golf shoes......anybody find them for under $200?