Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Well, I made a change in my irons so I guess I will see if I like it.  If I don't, I can always go back to my Ping i20's or buy something completely new, right?

I love my SCOR wedges, all with the Genius 9 shaft; well, the 42 is actually my 9i.  And therein lies my problem.  When I got the 42, I found that it flew higher and further than my Ping i20 9i with the stock regular flex graphite shaft.  I then had a very small gap between the 42 and the i20 8i; no good.  I have been trying to figure out what to do.  I will keep my SCORs but most OEMs don't want to sell a partial set.  Those that do, like Ben Hogan (and I haven't given up on them yet), are very expensive for 4 clubs.  I only need/want 5i-8i.  

So, I went looking through my vast supply of old clubs in the garage.  I have always liked my set of MacGregor VIP 1025M clubs, but in the past 10 years I have lost the ability to hit the TT S300 shafts.  I contacted UST Mamiya because they made the Genius 9 shaft in my SCORs.  That shaft doesn't exist; it vanished along with SCOR when they became Ben Hogan Golf.  The Hogan's graphite shaft option is the UST Recoil shaft.  I looked into it, but I don't think the Recoil in any flavor will fit my swing.  I don't know that, but I have demoed the Recoil in other clubs, and I wasn't impressed.  I decided to try the UST ProForce RV2 shaft since UST said that it was similar to the Genius shaft.

Now my bag looks a little different:

Driver     SLDR 14*

4W   17* Sonartec LS-99

7W   24* Sonartec LS-99

5H   25*  TaylorMade Rocketballz

5-8i        MacGregor VIP 1025M

Wedges  SCOR 42, 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter     Boccieri Heavy Putter C2-DF

IMG_0429.jpg

I've played the MacGregor VIPs for a week now after strengthen the lofts to match the Ping i20 specs and adjusting the lie to 3* flat.  I love the feel but need more time to determine if they are right for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You could always special order a set of 5-8 if you wanted. I don't see why they wouldn't sell them to you

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Hope the shafts work out for you, I know you've been searching for a while now.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I like you line of thinking Kenny. Using 5 SCOR's, where your accuracy is key, then adjusting an older set by changing the shafts. When I retire Next year I may consider a shaft puller, so I can change my own shafts.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've used The Golf Warehouse a couple times to order partial sets. You can enter custom specs and pick the shafts that you want.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I like your bag a lot!

I'm sure that you can order individual irons from the OEMs themselves - It becomes more costly per club for certain but I have little doubt that you could custom order whatever you wanted.

I've got to make the switch to a 4 wood this year - I'm waiting to see how I hit the C200's and for that matter if they will let me sub in a hybrid for a 4 iron.  Regardless I've gotten to the point where I'm long enough with whatever is passing as a 5 iron these days that I don't have the proper gap between it and my 4 hybrid.  That may become exasperated with the new irons.  If that is the case I will go with 4 wood, a hybrid around 19/20 and then finding a 56 degree SCOR on ebay or somewhere else to bag.  I'm scared of that last move though because my low end clubs have very nice neat clearly defined roles at this point. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You could always special order a set of 5-8 if you wanted. I don't see why they wouldn't sell them to you

I am interested in the Bridgestone JGR Hybrid irons but they don't sell partial sets.  Hopefully, I will get to try them next week though.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am interested in the Bridgestone JGR Hybrid irons but they don't sell partial sets.  Hopefully, I will get to try them next week though.

where are you gonna get to try them?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've used The Golf Warehouse a couple times to order partial sets. You can enter custom specs and pick the shafts that you want.

Most OEM's don't sell partial sets.  TGW and other outlets don't split up sets.  When the Wilson rep was here for their demo day, he did say that individual clubs could be ordered for $85 a piece.  I liked the C200, but I don't think it was a significant difference from my i20's to warrant the cost.

My problem is that I have been trying to fit whatever clubs up to my SCOR 42*.  That is very difficult; trying to find an 8i head/shaft combo that flies like the SCOR and gives me the correct gap.  

The MacGregor irons have a couple of advantages:  1) I already have them, and 2) they are so soft that I can adjust the lofts to adjust the 8i - SCOR gap.  The MacGregor 8i has a stock loft of 39* and I changed it to 37*.  I'll play with this setup to see if I have gap issues, and tweak them if needed.

I'm just playing here.  I could be tempted to buy a new set of irons, but I don't think I would give up the SCORs.

where are you gonna get to try them?

I'm seeing Mmmmmbuddy in Eugene, OR at Fiddler's Green Golf Shop on my trip to see my parents next week.  It's 300 miles from here.  He's got the Bridgestones.  

I like your bag a lot!

I'm sure that you can order individual irons from the OEMs themselves - It becomes more costly per club for certain but I have little doubt that you could custom order whatever you wanted.

I've got to make the switch to a 4 wood this year - I'm waiting to see how I hit the C200's and for that matter if they will let me sub in a hybrid for a 4 iron.  Regardless I've gotten to the point where I'm long enough with whatever is passing as a 5 iron these days that I don't have the proper gap between it and my 4 hybrid.  That may become exasperated with the new irons.  If that is the case I will go with 4 wood, a hybrid around 19/20 and then finding a 56 degree SCOR on ebay or somewhere else to bag.  I'm scared of that last move though because my low end clubs have very nice neat clearly defined roles at this point. :)

I have found that another big advantage the MacGregors have over the Ping i20's is the ability to work the ball.  I don't normally do that a lot, because I found it very difficult to get the Pings to curve.  Now I can hit draws; fades have always been easier for me because I used to be a BIG slicer.

I think you will like a 4W.  It just seemed like that extra degree or two made quite a difference is improved accuracy.  

Most OEM's don't sell partial sets. TGW and other outlets don't split up sets. When the Wilson rep was here for their demo day, he did say that individual clubs could be ordered for $85 a piece. I liked the C200, but I don't think it was a significant difference from my i20's to warrant the cost.

My problem is that I have been trying to fit whatever clubs up to my SCOR 42*. That is very difficult; trying to find an 8i head/shaft combo that flies like the SCOR and gives me the correct gap.

The MacGregor irons have a couple of advantages: 1) I already have them, and 2) they are so soft that I can adjust the lofts to adjust the 8i - SCOR gap. The MacGregor 8i has a stock loft of 39* and I changed it to 37*. I'll play with this setup to see if I have gap issues, and tweak them if needed.

I'm just playing here. I could be tempted to buy a new set of irons, but I don't think I would give up the SCORs.

I've ordered irons from TGW from Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno and was able to specify which irons I wanted in the section where you enter your custom specs.

When I ordered my S55s I got the 5 first to try out. Then the 9. Then the 6,7,8. All separate orders.

My JPX850s I ordered 5-9 then got the 4 and PW later after I replaced my SCORs with the S5 wedges.

Ordered my MP-54s in 5-9 as well when I gamed them with the SCORs.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have found that another big advantage the MacGregors have over the Ping i20's is the ability to work the ball.  I don't normally do that a lot, because I found it very difficult to get the Pings to curve.  Now I can hit draws; fades have always been easier for me because I used to be a BIG slicer.

I think you will like a 4W.  It just seemed like that extra degree or two made quite a difference is improved accuracy.

Not to mention the additional trajectory needed to keep the ball on my greens. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've ordered irons from TGW from Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno and was able to specify which irons I wanted in the section where you enter your custom specs.

When I ordered my S55s I got the 5 first to try out. Then the 9. Then the 6,7,8. All separate orders.

My JPX850s I ordered 5-9 then got the 4 and PW later after I replaced my SCORs with the S5 wedges.

Ordered my MP-54s in 5-9 as well when I gamed them with the SCORs.

Some clubs are available individually, but not what I am interested in.  My problem is that I won't order anything without knowing if the head/shaft combo fits my swing AND provides the right gap for the 8i next to my 42* SCOR.  There are so many different shafts available; even when I eliminate steel.  I have no place locally to even try out clubs with different shafts to see what might be the best option.  I might have to buy a set and sell the 9i and wedge.

I'm seeing Mmmmmbuddy in Eugene, OR at Fiddler's Green Golf Shop on my trip to see my parents next week.  It's 300 miles from here.  He's got the Bridgestones.

By the way I'm jealous he's a guy that I'd love to meet, great sense of humor. Give him my best.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Kenny,I get the cost of the Hogans being too high. I do think thats probably the best bet though. Since it is now basically a full set of Scor Wedges.

Yes, but the shaft is NOT the same.  I've tried their graphite options and they are not even close to the graphite shaft in the SCORs.  Just makes finding the right clubs that more difficult.

I like your bag a lot!

Yep I had to make the switch this year from a 3 wood to an 18* 5 wood. Got lucky and found the ugliest 5 wood you have ever seen an old Adams GT at 18*. It has a stock labeled Adams stiff shaft but it frequency checks out as what I call a stiff medium. Had to add a little weight in the back low for me. That thing is a rocket. It is the ugliest club I have seen since a Cleveland VAS iron. I hit it good and I am warming up to it because I hit it so good

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Kenny, I love the Macgregors you have there. I wish I'd bought a set of those Scors too. As for the SLDR.... I just can't take mine out of the bag.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Kenny, I love the Macgregors you have there. I wish I'd bought a set of those Scors too. As for the SLDR.... I just can't take mine out of the bag.

I'm surprised how easy the MacGregors are to hit.  They are rather large for a blade, especially in 2002.  

I think I am about to change out my SLDR.  Time to start shopping.

I think I am about to change out my SLDR.  Time to start shopping.

See you soon!

;)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived