TESTERS WANTED! ×

Vokey SM6

Tom54

Anyone using yet? I have the SM5s and recently got a Callaway MD3 just to try something different. However, I keep hitting it thin and I'm thinking maybe the weight feels slightly different and I'm not used to it. (I have the same shaft in it as the Titleists). Anyway, I hit the SM6 a little in the shop and it seems solid. I think the head is slightly smaller than the SM5? I'm not that good a wedge player, so giving up hitting surface might not be a good idea.

Anybody seeing a discernible difference between SM5 and SM6?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

I just got mine two days ago and haven't been to the course yet to try it out. They changed the weighting or COG quite a bit depending on which degree you get. I don't know if I'm good enough to tell the difference on ball flight but it sounds like a good idea. I'm anxious to get to the course and try them out though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Anyone using yet? I have the SM5s and recently got a Callaway MD3 just to try something different. However, I keep hitting it thin and I'm thinking maybe the weight feels slightly different and I'm not used to it. (I have the same shaft in it as the Titleists). Anyway, I hit the SM6 a little in the shop and it seems solid. I think the head is slightly smaller than the SM5? I'm not that good a wedge player, so giving up hitting surface might not be a good idea.

Anybody seeing a discernible difference between SM5 and SM6?

I have a 62* with the M grind - was awesome over the past week on full and partial shots from some pretty gnarly bermuda (which I only play on once a year).  It feels far more solid to me than did the 60* SM5 I had.

Just got my New set of SM5s in January so I will wait until they wear out

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

UPDATE! Now that I have been able to swing my new SM6 a few times and really work the kinks out, I can't believe I ever stopped playing Vokey wedges. IMHO they are just the best wedges. Full disclosure, I haven't played a lot of smaller wedge companies that make good products, but I've tried just about every other major OEM wedge and Vokey's just get the job done for me. I was hitting my Wilson Staff wedge side by side with the SM6 and the biggest difference I noticed on green side chips was the difference in how the clubs interacted with the turf. The SM6 cut through the grass so much better. I was amazed that with my crappy golf game that I could feel the difference. I'm very pleased with my purchase and for the time being, I'll be playing Vokey's for the foreseeable future.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Thanks for the update Chris O. I need a new set of wedges and I hit my friends SM5s to test out Vokey. I couldn't believe how nice the feel was compared to my Clevelands. Thanks again.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

The SM6's currently cost $150, and the SM5's are now $110. I bought 3 SM5s in January. I can't believe how much more solid they feel compared to my Clevelands, which i played for years: CG10, 12, 15 in all lofts. The ball feels soft on the SM5 faces, i can control the trajectory, and full shots are consistently predictable. I'll never go back!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE! Now that I have been able to swing my new SM6 a few times and really work the kinks out, I can't believe I ever stopped playing Vokey wedges. IMHO they are just the best wedges. Full disclosure, I haven't played a lot of smaller wedge companies that make good products, but I've tried just about every other major OEM wedge and Vokey's just get the job done for me. I was hitting my Wilson Staff wedge side by side with the SM6 and the biggest difference I noticed on green side chips was the difference in how the clubs interacted with the turf. The SM6 cut through the grass so much better. I was amazed that with my crappy golf game that I could feel the difference. I'm very pleased with my purchase and for the time being, I'll be playing Vokey's for the foreseeable future.

Hybrid:

Cool. I'll definitely have to try them out. Hopefully I can hit them out on the course somewhere.

Hybrid:

Got them in 46, 52 and 56. Love them. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

Have sm5 46-50-54-58 not enough to make me go all in and buy new as always vokeys are sweet but not a big enough difference in my game to change

I have to agree, and I wasn't a fan of the increased top line. I got the Callaway pm grind and absolutely hate the kbs shaft, surprised it's also about 1/2 to 1/4 shorter than my vokey 58.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Here's my Vokey SM6 order:

I love the feel and i'm seeing increased spin with this wedge around the greens. 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

Black tour issue shaft is a nice touch!

My Mixed-Bag:

Black tour issue shaft is a nice touch!

Thanks much! 

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

I got my SM 6's last month, upgrading from Nike VRS wedges from 2012. I can't believe how different they feel. Every strike seems solid, even when I miss off the toe. I got 50° f, 54° s, and 58°m grind. The different grinds gives me a ton of shot versatility. Highly recommended. Even the SM 5's at $110 are great if you don't want to spend the extra cash.

What did they charge you for the upcharge for the Black Onyx? Just curious...

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

What did they charge you for the upcharge for the Black Onyx? Just curious...

I believe it was a $20 upcharge via custom order. 

Yep, I'll continue getting them from the True Temper rep I deal with. Plus I got the wedges at PUD so yeah...

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I'll continue getting them from the True Temper rep I deal with. Plus I got the wedges at PUD so yeah...

What is PUD?

• 3 months later...

I think you're going to like those a lot Joe. My current SM6 are the first Vokeys I've had, and my wedge game has never been more accurate.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I think you're going to like those a lot Joe. My current SM6 are the first Vokeys I've had, and my wedge game has never been more accurate.

Thanks man. I'm really excited to put them in play. I like the weighting better than the Glides I've been gaming for the past year and I'm really interested to see what the turf interaction is like from different lies.

What grinds are you using?

Thanks man. I'm really excited to put them in play. I like the weighting better than the Glides I've been gaming for the past year and I'm really interested to see what the turf interaction is like from different lies.

What grinds are you using?

Funny about the Glide, I may have said this already, forgive me if I'm repeating.  But I had bought the 58 last June on a whim, and it was fantastic, I was all set to buy the 54 this spring to match it when I tried the SM6's.  I immediately placed an order for all three SM6's...LOL

I have the F Grind in the 50 and the M Grind in the 54.  Both are supposedly in between wedges for firm to soft turf, which we get a lot of here in the DC/MD/VA area.   very soft in the spring and fall, and can get firm during the summer with the lack of rain.   So far the turf interaction has been great,  they do exactly what they say they will.   

I have the K grind in the 58 as it was recommended by a friend who had been using it for his bunker shots, and said it was just so automatic out of the bunker.  I have found that to be the case also.   

Well after today's first round with the SM6s I am in love.  I knew I would love the 60* M grind and it did not disappoint.  Only had to use it twice and both times it left me with tap-ins for par.

What really surprised me was the 54 F grind with 14 degrees of bounce.  I thought it might be too much bounce, especially from full shots from tight fairway lies, but man it was incredible.  I hit a number of shots from 50 to 100 yards with it today and they were just so crisp I was shocked.  Spin was perfect and my distance control was on point.  

They look a little more round than the sm5 or is it all in my head?

My Mixed-Bag:

They look a little more round than the sm5 or is it all in my head?

Leading edge or the toe/face?

If you are talking about the toe/face, then you'd be correct.  Titleist moved some of the weight out of the hosel and moved it out towards the toe (by slightly rounding/extending the toe).  They also slightly vary in size as you move from low loft (smaller) to high loft (slightly larger)

reviewcompareaddress58k.jpg

Here is a great writeup on the SM6s and how they've changed since the SM5s

http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/titleist-vokey-sm6-wedge-review-3465.aspx

What is PUD?

Personal Use Discount. Has to be authorized by the local rep, if you work in the industry. It's meant as it says for personal use, not to be resold in the pro shop or store.

Well after today's first round with the SM6s I am in love.  I knew I would love the 60* M grind and it did not disappoint.  Only had to use it twice and both times it left me with tap-ins for par.

What really surprised me was the 54 F grind with 14 degrees of bounce.  I thought it might be too much bounce, especially from full shots from tight fairway lies, but man it was incredible.  I hit a number of shots from 50 to 100 yards with it today and they were just so crisp I was shocked.  Spin was perfect and my distance control was on point.

Good stuff. I'll admit I am and am not surprised by that 54 with that much bounce. Yeah it see,s like a lot. But I think the magic in these grinds, is they do what you want them to do on a shot to shot basis.

I've used my 58.12 out of the bunker and also on a short sided pin on a near hard pan lie. Just clipped it right off the ground and ran it up to the pin.

They are just so fun to hit.

Leading edge or the toe/face?

If you are talking about the toe/face, then you'd be correct. Titleist moved some of the weight out of the hosel and moved it out towards the toe (by slightly rounding/extending the toe). They also slightly vary in size as you move from low loft (smaller) to high loft (slightly larger)

reviewcompareaddress58k.jpg

Here is a great writeup on the SM6s and how they've changed since the SM5s

http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/titleist-vokey-sm6-wedge-review-3465.aspx

The toe is what I meant and thanks for expanding on it! I was on the fence about them for that reason.

My Mixed-Bag:

Well, I still love my SCOR wedges......Last Saturday, I Holed out an Eagle from 78 yeards with my 53* SCOR!  I had just finished the front nine and hit a terrific drive on #10, cutting the corner of a dogleg left par 4.  I had not hit the 53* all day, but, knowing my distances, i pulled it out and took two practice swings.  Then, I made the shot and watched the ball hit the green in front of the pin and bounce right into the cup.  Woo Hoo!  I love my SCOR wedges.  Have you tried them?  The new Hogan's are just like them.  They have a V-sole rather than various bounces.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived