TESTERS WANTED! ×

MacGregor VIP's

I know this is now one of Golfsmith's house brands, but I picked up the new VIP recently and was impressed at address.

To get back in this market, I think MacGregor (Golfsmith) needs to price aggressively to get back in the game, but it was a good looking club. Has anyone swung the VIP's? Impressions? My only reservation was aesthetic. The logo on the back was a little clunky for such a compact,tight design. Silly, I know..but everyone likes a club that looks as good as it performs. Not the end all, but...

I didn't have a chance to hit them. Curious if anyone here has..

Finding the extra demo equipment to send out has been slim to none at the moment. We are not trying to snub anyone by not allowing them to test product for Free. We have been trying to make sure that our stores have the right amount of equipment to sell and demo so outside of that we have not found an offering to send out for free.

I have been making every effort to clear demo equipment for sites like this.

Thanks.

FYI the logo is clunky looking in order to better distribute weight around the cavity to increase performance of the iron. If the logo was any smaller or less clunky then the feel would be all thrown off. But seriously, sorry you didn't like the size of the logos. We all have our opinions when it comes to the cosmetics on the products.

Golfsmith - Proprietary Graphic Designer

What's in my Bag?

I think that the new VIPs did a pretty good job at keeping the classic look, while possibly being able to target the player that can afford the new set of clubs.

It was tough, coming from a lover of the classics, for me to see MacGregor become a store brand for Golfsmith, but I think they did a great job with their first effort. I have been impressed, as well, with some of the work they have done with their Snake Eyes brand.

Not just another knock-off or cheap Asian import. This new set looks to have all the quality a player needs to really step up his or her game.

Thanks for keeping it clean,

LaMont in AZ

Finding the extra demo equipment to send out has been slim to none at the moment. We are not trying to snub anyone by not allowing them to test product for Free. We have been trying to make sure that our stores have the right amount of equipment to sell and demo so outside of that we have not found an offering to send out for free.

Thanks.

FYI the logo is clunky looking in order to better distribute weight around the cavity to increase performance of the iron. If the logo was any smaller or less clunky then the feel would be all thrown off. But seriously, sorry you didn't like the size of the logos. We all have our opinions when it comes to the cosmetics on the products.

Glad you're having a problem keeping them in stock.... At address, they are surprisingly clean and handsome. I really didn't expect to find them so well finished for a first effort. . I appreciate the effort to expose bigger bloggers to your product. I put as much stock in the impartial blogs as I do salesmen and product reps, for what it's worth.

799.00, lets not jump the gun if they are putting out a superior product. Let's see what the reviews come back like.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Dave- These are forged CB's. $799 is at the low end (retail, that is) of the spectrum for that type of club. It's worth investigating and hitting...

Mizuno's are closer to $1000 for any of their forged clubs. It's relative. If the club performs as good as it looks at address, then it's a bargain (sort of!). For that money, it's up against the FG Tour from Wilson, the current object of my desires.

But you're right in that you CAN find forged CB's for less or the same money...Currently you can find Callaway X Forged for around $710 and Titleist CB's for $810 if you don't mind clubs that have been on the market for awhile (should it matter, if it works? Right?).

But I agree as far as paying retail..won't do it. I'll wait until the clubs I want are down in the $599 range before I bite...

Currently with the purchase of the VIP Irons you get a Free MacGregor M85T Driver. This is the Black PVD, AxivCORE shaft, and Adjustable Shaft/Face position driver that retails for $299. So that is the added value you have going when you purchase at the moment.

Golfsmith - Proprietary Graphic Designer

What's in my Bag?

I agree, the price is the low end of forged clubs, and the free driver is a nice touch and does add value. Again, before hitting and seeing unbiased reviews, lets all hold our judgments!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I agree, the price is the low end of forged clubs, and the free driver is a nice touch and does add value. Again, before hitting and seeing unbiased reviews, lets all hold our judgments!

Well, I wanted to do a review of their new line but all they said they would send us was a press kit with a wedge and then they didn't even follow through on that despite a follow-up on our part. Nothing came in the mail.

I guess they are lacking in the PR area or they are afraid of what the reviews will say. Either way, it doesn't bode well for the brand. :blink:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Thanks.

I guess I missed this post when I first read the thread, but it doesn't change my view. Quite honestly, what you send out for review and the stock that is destined for stores should be mutually exclusive. I'm not sure what "we have not found an offering to send out for free" means.

You incorporated feedback into your site some time ago so I'm certain you're aware that consumers that venture into your stores read online reviews through organic and paid search as well as visiting discussion boards like this one.

Your site has only three product reviews on the VIP irons and none since May. None whatsoever on the M85i. I think you should invest in some equipment to send out for review. :blink:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Currently with the purchase of the VIP Irons you get a Free MacGregor M85T Driver. This is the Black PVD, AxivCORE shaft, and Adjustable Shaft/Face position driver that retails for $299. So that is the added value you have going when you purchase at the moment.

Are new golfers really buying full sets of clubs? I haven't been golfing long and individual clubs was so helpful for me...

It's not enough just to swing at the ball.

You've got to loosen your girdle and let 'er fly.

Babe Zaharias

Are new golfers really buying full sets of clubs? I haven't been golfing long and individual clubs was so helpful for me...

I find consistency across the set to be an asset in terms of performance (at least when it comes to irons and wedges). It also makes for a better looking bag. :D

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Some do, some don't. It's all about finding clubs that work. I've got 6 different brands in my bag, and none of my wedges match.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

• SPY VIP

I find consistency across the set to be an asset in terms of performance (at least when it comes to irons and wedges). It also makes for a better looking bag. :mellow:

Are you talking about your bag :rolleyes:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Are you talking about your bag :rolleyes:

Yes, I am. I know what you're thinking - yes, my irons and wedges are different. But, I don't have a completely mixed bag (e.g. mixed irons and wedges from different companies). So, I guess there are degrees with that...

And my bag is pretty. :mellow:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived