Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wishon forged iron

superduper

I play the 771csi irons. Of course.... I love them.

I believe the the body of the irons are forged and the face is cast. They are very bendable. My fitter ordered all my heads as "hand select". I also have had them adjusted once by my fitter. The 771's are made to be bent to spec. I try and have my irons checked and adjusted at least once a year.

THe 771's are very good looking irons. Much better than the photos on the website. I get many compliments. They have a mid-size to smaller head and a thin top-line. (not as thin as a blade but thin) The clubs setup beautifully. I have mine paired with Aerotech i80 r-flex shafts. They have been a great consistent combination for me. Great feel. You know where you're impacting the face. Yes... they are forgiving.

http://wishongolf.com/designs/iron-sets/new-771csi/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I believe the the body of the irons are forged and the face is cast. They are very bendable. My fitter ordered all my heads as "hand select". I also have had them adjusted once by my fitter. The 771's are made to be bent to spec. I try and have my irons checked and adjusted at least once a year.

THe 771's are very good looking irons. Much better than the photos on the website. I get many compliments. They have a mid-size to smaller head and a thin top-line. (not as thin as a blade but thin) The clubs setup beautifully. I have mine paired with Aerotech i80 r-flex shafts. They have been a great consistent combination for me. Great feel. You know where you're impacting the face. Yes... they are forgiving.

Wow!  Irons without jacked lofts.  How novel.  :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

To be honest, I have this in mind.  I saw them in the GD 2014 and wanted to try them.   I received the wishon catalog yesterday and it says they are carbon steel.  They are cast but since the material is carbon steel, they could be soft.   I think The tmag udi is also carbon steel.  I own it and it feels soft on center hits.  

I have hit them several times at Fairway golf but never bought a set. They are a solid feeling iron and they perform well.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Does anyone on here play the 575MMC's. They look great! I love the milled look on the back. Never actually hit one, but we do have a recommended Wishon fitter in Iowa.

How do Wishon compare in terms of price?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Carpenter steel has been around for some time and has been used in many head designs (most notably fairway woods). It is an extremely high strength steel alloy with very low carbon. Because of it's high tensile strength, thinner material can be used in club head design which allows for expanded perimeter weighting without increasing the overall mass - it also allows a thinner face design for maximum CoR.

Carpenter steel is the proprietary trade name used by the Carpenter company who invented it - another name it goes by is maraging steel. Just about every manufacturer of golf clubs uses it, or has used it in their product line. Off the top of my head, Pings current fairways and "crossover" hybrid club uses Carpenter steel in their construction:

http://www.ping.com/about/insideping.aspx

And Carpenter steel harks back to the early development of metal woods. 

Does anyone on here play the 575MMC's. They look great! I love the milled look on the back. Never actually hit one, but we do have a recommended Wishon fitter in Iowa.

How do Wishon compare in terms of price?

I have a friend that plays them. He's a low single digit player. From what I've seen I'd say he loves them. When I purchased my 771's I wanted the 560's but after testing them during my fitting the 771's worked out to be the best fit for me. I've never looked back.

As far as price is concerned it's up to the fitter/builder of your clubs. My clubs did cost a little more than if I'd bought a set of brand X off the rack. Me and my fitter spent 3 hours fitting my clubs. Of course not all that time was just hitting balls. We talked a lot. I don't know how much time he actually spent building my clubs but I'd guess 3-4 more hours. His time and care was certainly worth something and I felt in the end I paid a fair price for a totally custom built set of irons. They've been awesome. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I also notice there is an iron set named sterling iron in the wishon line.  it's single length iron.  I wonder if there is a benefit for using them.....

5 iron is 37" and PW is also 37"?    would it affect on the distance?  Like longer PW or shorter 5 iron?

I also notice there is an iron set named sterling iron in the wishon line.  it's single length iron.  I wonder if there is a benefit for using them.....

5 iron is 37" and PW is also 37"?    would it affect on the distance?  Like longer PW or shorter 5 iron?

I've looked at those as well. I really like the concept, but no $$$ to play around with a true single length design. I think with Tyson DeChambeau using the custom single length Edels and this article in Golf Magazine about the upcoming "Revolution"  

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/bryson-dechambeau-custom-clubmaker-and-teaching-pro-might-be-start-golfing-revolution?simple=1

I think there's going to be a lot more interest to see if this makes the game easier. Wishon makes good stuff and has a great way of explaining concepts for golf equipment, so I'd expect these to perform well.

Think about it..."One Swing to Rule Them All...."

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I've looked at those as well. I really like the concept, but no $$$ to play around with a true single length design. I think with Tyson DeChambeau using the custom single length Edels and this article in Golf Magazine about the upcoming "Revolution"  

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/bryson-dechambeau-custom-clubmaker-and-teaching-pro-might-be-start-golfing-revolution?simple=1

I think there's going to be a lot more interest to see if this makes the game easier. Wishon makes good stuff and has a great way of explaining concepts for golf equipment, so I'd expect these to perform well.

Think about it..."One Swing to Rule Them All...."

After give it a long thought.... I do not think it will work.   I use my PW for chipping (share the load with my SW). 

Can you imagine using a 37" PW for chipping?  I also use the PW for a 70 yards pitch shot.....  which will go 100 yards probably if I use a 37" PW.  

Another problem might arise, ball position.  Picture this.  usually the longer the iron, 6 and below, the more forward the ball position toward the left heel.   If the ball position stays the same because of the single length, it means 5 iron ball position is in the center just like a 7 iron.   That would cause problem because the loft of the sterling 5 iron is so low (23*).   Because of the ball position is in the center rather than a bit forward, the 5 iron will not launch just like an ordinary 5 iron.  It will launch lower.   have you seen Tiger Woods' stinger?  where does he place his ball? just like a PW right?  one ball backward toward the right heel.   So I do not think the 5 iron will carry as far as a standard 5 iron....

After give it a long thought.... I do not think it will work.   I use my PW for chipping (share the load with my SW). 

Can you imagine using a 37" PW for chipping?  I also use the PW for a 70 yards pitch shot.....  which will go 100 yards probably if I use a 37" PW.  

Another problem might arise, ball position.  Picture this.  usually the longer the iron, 6 and below, the more forward the ball position toward the left heel.   If the ball position stays the same because of the single length, it means 5 iron ball position is in the center just like a 7 iron.   That would cause problem because the loft of the sterling 5 iron is so low (23*).   Because of the ball position is in the center rather than a bit forward, the 5 iron will not launch just like an ordinary 5 iron.  It will launch lower.   have you seen Tiger Woods' stinger?  where does he place his ball? just like a PW right?  one ball backward toward the right heel.   So I do not think the 5 iron will carry as far as a standard 5 iron....

You might want to read the design features on the Wishon web site - he has an entire article explaining how he ensured the launch angles would be adequate given the shorter club length.

has anyone played with forged irons from wishon?   how do you like the feel of impact?  firm/soft/harsh, etc?  

which model do you game?   how's the look at address?  classic thin top line or a shovel? 

Had the 771s but did not care for the springy face feel/sound - not bad but noticeable.  I found the 560s to be just as forgiving but with a much better feel.  A great iron for any mid to low handicapper.

You might want to read the design features on the Wishon web site - he has an entire article explaining how he ensured the launch angles would be adequate given the shorter club length.

yes I read it and watched his video.   I still don't think it will work.   it says that's why there is an additional hybrid if you hit it shorter with the 5.   Tom knows.... 

Archived