TESTERS WANTED! ×

Improve your golf game by spending $?

Dana

Where, how, on what , would be the best way to actually improve your golf game by spending money?  Driver, putter, sets of fitted clubs, wedges, lessons?  I believe lessons are the best $ investment, but I can be swayed. What do you all think?

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lessons and practice

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Lessons and practice

Lessons, practice w/ playing regularly, and getting fitted - the order of those is arguable, but that's how think at the present (I reserve the right to change my mind :-) 

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

I'd first ask if you own clubs then ask if you are able to take lessons.

If you do own a set and able to take lessons. I'd go that route. At least a few lessons will get you going in the right direction.

The self taught route can be done, but that road is paved with broken hearts and driver shafts.

Good luck

Tazz

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Kind of depends on where your game is now as well and what your problems are.

If you are already a low handicap then fitting and practice might see the greatest improvement.

A higher handicap might benefit more from lessons.

Fitting I say is a good thing that can benefit everyone.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My 2 cents are....

High handicap - fitting, lessons, practice, playing, practice

Mid handicap - lessons, practice, playing (get fitted if not already)

Low handicap - coaching, practice, playing (assume you're already fitted)

As far as playing is concerned; besides playing with your equivalent buddies try to play with some guys that are much better than you if and when you can. Ask these good players for advice and tips. Aside from a practice round always play for something. Cash, beers,... something. Put some sort of bet on the line. If your really serious make it sting-worthy.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

All great advice from the guys. It's hard to give a general answer to a specific question. Through time and lots of money spent I've learned its lessons for me. My equipment fits me fairly well so I'm confident that poor play is the Indian.

You need to carefully access your game and find the holes. As a 10 you're a good played so it's a matter of fine tuning.

Here are some simply things to consider: Do you play the same ball all the time in season? Every ball performs a bit differently so pick one and stick with it. Does your set make up match your game on the course that you play? For example I started regularly playing a course in CT when I was young player that was hilly and required several tee shots in the 210-225 range. At the time I could hit a low boring two iron that distance but it did not fit that course so I got a 5 wood and put it in. Simple relatively inexpensive fixes.

If your misses are consistenly one way and you haven't really been fit that might be it. If you need more distance and have a driver that's older than five years old, that could be it too.

Most of the time though it's taking lessons from a good teacher. Just be prepared to take some steps back before jumping forward.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would have said lessons, but I've been set backwards by lessons too many times to fall for that.

The answer is: Whatever gives you confidence.

For me, it's new equipment. Any time I put a new club in the bag, I hit those shots better. Not so after a lesson. And have you ever gone back and tried your old equipment? How'd I ever play with THAT? Yes, you can definitely buy a better game, especially with the improvement in technology. Don't you hear Jack and Arnie complain about how they had to use persimmon drivers and balata balls? Yep, it's definitely equipment.

Signed, Club Ho Anonymous

I take lessons except last year and I practice a lot.  My problem is distance just can't get there in 2 on my course, so I practice my short game constantly. My clubs are fitted . If I could buy 20 yards in a driver I would , I tried that last year tried out 5 drivers and shafts. Ended up with a slight gain in yardage but on the practice range the driver was much longer? Well that is what the pro said :rolleyes: 

In My Bag

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Everybody should take lessons; that is, if you want to improve.  The problem is that an instructor will tell you what you need to do to fix something, then tell you to practice by doing some drills.  Great!  But how do you know that you are practicing correctly?  Answer is... you don't unless you have feedback.  The feedback comes when you see the instructor at your next lesson and you've shown improvement.  GetaGrip is right.  When you make a swing change, you will most likely get worse, for awhile.  It won't feel good because it's different, but you have to stick with it.  You have to retrain your body to accept  the swing change, then it will start feeling good.  If you say that this doesn't feel good and go back to what you were doing before, then lessons are a waste. 

You can also get feedback with video of your swing before and after, hopefully with instructor comments.  You would be amazed what your swing looks like vs. what you think it looks like.  Videos are nice because you have a record of where you started, and hopefully where you want to be.  You can always go back and compare them to your swing at a later date.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I take lessons except last year and I practice a lot.  My problem is distance just can't get there in 2 on my course, so I practice my short game constantly. My clubs are fitted . If I could buy 20 yards in a driver I would , I tried that last year tried out 5 drivers and shafts. Ended up with a slight gain in yardage but on the practice range the driver was much longer? Well that is what the pro said :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, did you say "get there in 2"!! You've been watching too much PGA television. For us mortals, we all have to play like Zack did at the Masters in 2007: lay up, hit a wedge tight and putt lights out. (I played once with a guy who said his hc was 16, and watched him reach two par 5s in two, but that's another story). As for 20 more yards? Most guys on this forum would trade their firstborn for 5 more. Or pay $500, whichever's easier.

All seriousness aside, it's confidence. Practice should give you confidence that you've hit this shot before, and know you can do it again.

I like the phrase " it's confidence". I have a few of Bob Rotella's books and he will agree with that phrase .

In My Bag

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Where, how, on what , would be the best way to actually improve your golf game by spending money?  Driver, putter, sets of fitted clubs, wedges, lessons?  I believe lessons are the best $ investment, but I can be swayed. What do you all think?

Of course lessons and practice.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I play with a group of about 25 guys. For years and years there were four of them who could not get there in 2 on 5 or 6 holes. I finally convinced them to move up a tee. BECAUSE THAT IS WHY THEY HAVE DIFFERENT TEES.

They all moved up together this year, And yes, we called them the Golden Girls and other things. But last Friday, one of these guys who had never broken 90 before this year, shot a 77 with three double bogies on the par 5's.

No new equipment. No lessons. Same eff'ed up swing, but it is the same every time. Simply moved to the appropriate tee and kept his ball in play.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

You could provide your WITB as well as the distances for each club.

And if you play the same course regularly, give us the yardage book as well :)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If your swing is pretty good then I would recommend a few training aids over lessons. Get a camera, video your swing (in slow mo if possible), and compare with pro swings online. I have found the following training aids pretty helpful to correct identified swing errors:

Orange whip - really helps with timing and smoothing (slowing down) your swing. I swing it at work when I need a break.

DST Compressor - it just works but may rather had the 8i than the wedge.

Swing extender - Picked this up cheap just to try. My swing is too long. I am look warm about how this product works but I haven't given it a full test drive. If folks are really interested I would recommend the discussion in this thread and specifically the drill in post #44.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/35195-shorter-probably-better-swing-keep-the-right-arm-straight/

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind moving to the next tee box and I do play better from the white tees than the blue tees,but. Most of our club events are from the blue tees except for the senior events.  Moving up is fun.

In My Bag

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Combination of fitting, lessons and practice.

No point in practicing the wrong things, so lessons are important.

No point in just smashing balls on a driving range, need to have a focused, planned practice session.

On course practice with perhaps a playing lesson, especially if course management is an issue.

Weight your practice to short game and putting, probably more gain for effort, and can be more fun.Don't just chip a 100 balls from the one spot, throw a few balls randomly around the chipping green and play each ball on its merits.

If your equipment is poorly suited, fitting can make a big difference, especially if it is causing bad habits to develop.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 3 weeks later...

Lessons, getting fitted, and buying irons that can help you (full cavity backs), not just irons that look good (blades). 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

I'd move up Dana. To heck with what anyone else says. It's your game and you're the one paying the monthly dues.

I moved up (finally) this past November. Much more enjoyable and just as challenging. The course/distance now fits my game. I too had a slight distance disadvantage when competing with guys that knock it past me. Now, we're equal. They weren't that happy about it either because they lost their advantage. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'd move up Dana. To heck with what anyone else says. It's your game and you're the one paying the monthly dues.

I moved up (finally) this past November. Much more enjoyable and just as challenging. The course/distance now fits my game. I too had a slight distance disadvantage when competing with guys that knock it past me. Now, we're equal. They weren't that happy about it either because they lost their advantage. LOL

Totally agree with you. Move up. I regularly play with guys that are older than me and I've been suggesting they move up a tee so they will be hitting approach shots from where I hit from. They tried it today and our match was much closer. No shame in moving up, We will all be there some day.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I don't know why I didn't pick up on this thread first. Generally it's lessons once a week to start to make sure you're implementing what the teacher wants. My club is nice during the winter because the range is a hang out for mini tour and Canadian tour players. Those guys are always happy to watch an old preacher's swing to make sure he's doing it right. : )

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Short answer, don't be a dumb a$$, you can't buy GAME. If you spent $500 on a driver because it supposed to help you be longer and straighter, I have wood tee's design to make you hit the ball pure every time for the cost of $50 per dozen. Oh yeah, don't spent money in lessons if you are not going to practice constantly what the coach is teaching you to practice. I see it all the time, you go once or twice and you don't practice, then you blame it on the coach.

Short answer, don't be a dumb a$$, you can't buy GAME. If you spent $500 on a driver because it supposed to help you be longer and straighter, I have wood tee's design to make you hit the ball pure every time for the cost of $50 per dozen. Oh yeah, don't spent money in lessons if you are not going to practice constantly what the coach is teaching you to practice. I see it all the time, you go once or twice and you don't practice, then you blame it on the coach.

This is very true. If the club is fitted properly you may pick up some distance and accuracy. Most teachers will give sound instruction and there are certainly quality accesories from balls to tees to shoes to shirts that may help a bit. In the end a failure to practice intelligently or to address controlable physical defecincies properly will make it impossible to improve.

It's actually not just practice, it's the right kind of practice, you can actually practice your swing flaws and make matters worse. :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Id go with lessons sith a competent instructor and 1st lesson should be about your clubs and are they right for you.

I took lessons and never really discussed how well clubs fit never dropped in playing ability till I was fit. Now playing in low 89's n high 70's with one or two times at even. Would have never got there without proper fit. Last of fmy clubs being fit was today with a new 3w Id outgrown. Swings smoother and faster now.

Hope this helps you. Lots of opinions here 😊😎

Richard father of 7 and ex army enlisted then officer. Love outdoors 

Fitted clubs, lessons then getting out and playing. For me practicing at the range doesn't make sense unless your there to work on your driver and fairway woods. The mats at the driving range give way too much cushion and hitting 90 balls fat or partly fat without you noticing will play havoc on your game on the course IMHO...

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

It depends on where you stand with regards to your game, as well as how old your equipment is. If you're a mid-handicapper who's got clubs that are more than a decade old, then it's probably better to buy new clubs to get more distance and control, etc. Alternatively, you could know that you're suffering from a bad shot that's preventing you from shooting lower (e.g. pull hook drives), then a combination of lessons and practice will certainly be more beneficial than spending money on clubs. It really depends on the individual.

I'm getting to that point in my game where I need both new clubs (or in the case of my driver, a new shaft) and some lessons (particularly with my driving). Practice only gets you so far without the right equipment and training to supplement it.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Fitted clubs, lessons then getting out and playing. For me practicing at the range doesn't make sense unless your there to work on your driver and fairway woods. The mats at the driving range give way too much cushion and hitting 90 balls fat or partly fat without you noticing will play havoc on your game on the course IMHO...

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

Agreed regarding mats. I will only hit off them to warm up or if that's what the fitter has when I'm being fit. Very few of the courses that I play have mats.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived