TESTERS WANTED! ×

Irons question. Looking for irons in between game improvements and blades..

Aras

I am looking for a set of irons that are in between blades and game improvement irons. I currently play titleist AP2 710 4-pw. I bought them when they came out because I couldn't stand the look and feel of the AP1's or any other GI irons. I'm a 16 handicap and they are on the small side(club head). I have looked at the mizuno JPX 850 forged irons because they are slightly bigger club heads but have a nice blade style profile. I was wondering if there is any other irons out there that I should look at. Is it me or are there not that many "in between" clubs out there?

There are options. Basically everything in the players iron catagory. Ping i series, Nike vapor fly, Mizuno mp25, Wilson fg5, Taylormade psi, cobra king cb, Calloway apex pro.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Srixon Z 545!!!! Best clubs I've had in a LONG time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

If me, I'd stop looking for a type of iron and head to the store or course and demo all they got then filter out what you don't like until you have found what you like, hit well, good buy etc.

Don't buy anything without trying it out.

Tazz

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I have to echo what Tazz said, go and hit everything first.

Having said that, I went out on a limb last year and bought and made a Malty DBM forged 6 iron to test because, with the shaft I chose, it only cost me about $50. I now have a 6, 7, 8 and 9 iron in my bag and their hybrids from 3-5.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

After you hit everything, look at the Mizuno's....if $$$ is not an issue, you'll find what you want in their lineup.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I would definitely check out Mizuno JPX line. The JPX EZ boron forged were way chunkier looking than I was used to. However, after hitting 10 baby draws in a row I didn't really notice it. I break 80 about 50% of the time and I still have been thinking, why don't I play the most forgiving club I can find that feels smooth and solid. I am attracted to minimal forged designs but I also like shooting low. I think JPX fills that need, but like others who have commented here already, I would definitely check out as many brands as you can. 

Mizuno are all $999 and they don't up-charge for shaft and grip options

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Huh?

Is it me, or are there more "in between" clubs than anything else? Just about every OEM has an iron that is not quite a blade but not quite a full GI iron either - meaning, finding something in this over-crowded category is pretty much easy as, err....visiting just about any golf club store.

There are probably those who would want to nit-pick what exactly constitutes a blade and what exactly constitutes a GI iron, but if you can't discern one way or another then by definition you're left with something "in between" - that makes your choice huge.

If you want to be lazy and let someone you've never met before decide for you, then I'd always opt for AP2's which seem to be all things to all men (and women). Alternatively, you could actually make the effort to seek out a professional for advice and a fitting session and perhaps find something that ticks all the boxes you're looking for. It ain't difficult, but I guess sometimes folks can't see the wood for the trees.

Yes - test, demo and then go test some more. Most any decent shop should have a collection of demo clubs, and a hitting bay, available; along with a fitter.

Not too far from me are both a Golfsmith and a PGA superstore where they let you demo diff clubs, and have helpful staff to e.g. change out a shaft. You can also schedule an official fitting.

In addition to the JPX-850 - both cast and forged versions - you might look at...

Apex CF16

Wilson FG5 or maybe their new C200

(and anything else that looks good to you!)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I agree with the above posters who say, hit it before you buy it.

That said, I'll go out on a limb. If you're a 17, then AP2s are probably too much players club for you. Especially if you're hitting less than around 4 gir. A GI club is right for a 17, and the game is just so much more fun. JPX is good. I game the JPX EZ Forged. Great feel and sound, very player-looking.

Dude, you'd be remiss not to consider some of the Adams irons from previous seasons as well - if you can find a set of the Adams Idea Black CB3s in new/excellent condition then you can't go wrong. Good looking clubs and they perform fantastically.

I would look at the PSI's, I wasn't a believer of all that technology until I hit them and the are forgiving and long. The face slots work work, YouTube face slots with Gary McCormick and the robot testing didn't lie.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Bag:

Stolen clubs....in between!   

I went from the MP59 to the Apex CF16 and the increased size and offset doesn't bother me at all. Give a try!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Dude, you'd be remiss not to consider some of the Adams irons from previous seasons as well - if you can find a set of the Adams Idea Black CB3s in new/excellent condition then you can't go wrong. Good looking clubs and they perform fantastically.

The Tour A XTDs are not a bad choice either. Was a huge Adams fan when they put out players clubs and still have a full bag of XTD woods and MB2 irons.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• 6 months later...

I really liked the feel of these when I have hit them... $279.99 for 4-PW with Dynalite Gold XP or $329.99 for 4-PW with Project X 5.0

http://www.hurricanegolf.com/close-out-golf-equipment/irons/adams-xtd-tour-iron-set-custom-built-by-hurricane-golf.html

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I really liked the feel of these when I have hit them... $279.99 for 4-PW with Dynalite Gold XP or $329.99 for 4-PW with Project X 5.0

http://www.hurricanegolf.com/close-out-golf-equipment/irons/adams-xtd-tour-iron-set-custom-built-by-hurricane-golf.html

Id swing those for that price.  Buddy games these and loves them....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

These may be a couple years old BUT they are a great buy!

http://www.cobragolf.com/cobra-amp-forged-irons-6-piece-set

2012-amp-forged-3_2.jpg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

ever thought about going out on a limb and trying the one length irons?  Cobra just came out with a set and the blog has a great write up about them.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Id swing those for that price.  Buddy games these and loves them....

I really wanted to get them but they didn't have them in x-100 or project x 6.5 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Agree with Coog I recommend the Hogan PTx irons.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

JPX 850 forged clubs are great clubs, so are TM PSI, Srixon 765 or even the 565, and JPX 900 forged. So many good clubs out there, good luck in your findings and please share with us what you decided on.

Sent from my sizzling Samsung Galaxy Note 7

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the ap2's (usually 4-9) but I have a lot of vokey sm5 wedges (48,52,56,58 and 60). I love the feel of them but I also love the feel, and stability, of the ap2's for longer strikes. A "mixed" set is perhaps something for you too? If not,in the Titleist range however, why not try the CB-line? They look nice and I use too play with the Mizuno tpz which is similar, they where great!

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a set of irons that are in between blades and game improvement irons. I currently play titleist AP2 710 4-pw. I bought them when they came out because I couldn't stand the look and feel of the AP1's or any other GI irons. I'm a 16 handicap and they are on the small side(club head). I have looked at the mizuno JPX 850 forged irons because they are slightly bigger club heads but have a nice blade style profile. I was wondering if there is any other irons out there that I should look at. Is it me or are there not that many "in between" clubs out there?

I'm a big Mizuno Fan so take a look at the Mizuno JPX-900 series.  Also check out the Callaway CF16's.  Bigger club head with a forged feel.  Is the smaller head causing you to miss iron shots or is it a confidence issue ?  As others have said, make sure you get fitted so you can eek out the most performance from the set you choose.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to find and test but I switched from the AP2s to Bridgestone J15 DF and gained distance and feel they are more forgiving. Top line is very pleasing to the eye too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :titelist-small: 14 way Stand Bag

Driver:  :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond 9°  w Diamana (White) D+ 70 XStiff

or  :callaway-small: Big Bertha V Series 9° (adjusted to 8*) w Aldila Rogue Silver XStiff

(Depends on the state of the swing)

FW:  :callaway-small:   XR 16 15° w Speeder Evolution II TS 765 XStiff

FW:  :callaway-small:  Great Big Bertha Mens Heavenwood 20° w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi XStiff

Irons:  :bridgestone-small: J15 DF 4-PW w Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw XStiff

Wedge:  :titelist-small: 54* & 58* on True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedge:  :callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind 64* w KBS Tour 120 S

Putter:  Odyssey Works Big T Versa V- Line

Ball:  :callaway-small: Chrome Soft Truvis

Shoes:  :footjoy-small: Dryjoy Casual

Agree 100% with go hit clubs. I was able to hit a bunch of different clubs over the weekend. CF16, iblade, mizuno, yonex, cobra, and a few others. Kind of did the pepsi challenge. One of the ones I did not think would be the best (JPX 900 forged) was 12 yards farther and felt like butter. It is worth it to take the time and see what you like.

Archived