TESTERS WANTED! ×

Irons question. Looking for irons in between game improvements and blades..

Aras

you will be doing yourself a dis-service if you don't checkout Srixons' line of clubs....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Seems like there are so many choices available in that "mid cap" segment.  In addition to all the good ones mentioned already, the Wilson C200 are worth a look. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

After you hit everything, look at the Mizuno's....if $$$ is not an issue, you'll find what you want in their lineup.

I agree with this for sure, they might have the best between selection. IMO

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

The tweeter clubs were what I was looking for when I picked up the Mizuno JPX. (825 pro). Solid, yet forgiving. But, yes, a bit pricey. But there are deals out there

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I currently game a combo set but I would go with a set of Nike Vapor Fly Pro's. You can find them for a great price....I did! Very forgiving and a lot of game improvement but it's tucked under a good hood.

My Bag:

Stolen clubs....in between!   

Lots of good sets already mentioned, I'll suggest the Bridgestone J15 DPF's.  Very nice profile with unexpected forgiveness, I haven't come across anything else like it except for possibly the Srixon 545.  The Mizuno Forged 850's were also mentioned and I'd agree with those.  

The good thing is there is a fairly broad array of irons that sit within what you're looking for and some of the sets are a couple years old so there are some good deals out there.  

Let us know what you end up with.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I am looking for a set of irons that are in between blades and game improvement irons. I currently play titleist AP2 710 4-pw. I bought them when they came out because I couldn't stand the look and feel of the AP1's or any other GI irons. I'm a 16 handicap and they are on the small side(club head). I have looked at the mizuno JPX 850 forged irons because they are slightly bigger club heads but have a nice blade style profile. I was wondering if there is any other irons out there that I should look at. Is it me or are there not that many "in between" clubs out there?

look at the callaway apex combo set. 4-6 in the CF16, 7-w in the pro.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 4 weeks later...

Look at the Hogan PTx irons as well.  They are only slightly bigger than most players category irons, but don't look too chunky at address.  They feel good at impact, play like a CB/MB combo set but with more forgiveness due to being all CB in design, and the long irons are hollow so give you a little help more like a GI iron.  They also offer a test drive program similar to Bridgestone.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I've been a mizzy junkie and love their feel. I also have a set of Ben hogan ft15 irons too. They also feel great. Lately I've been tinkering in the garage with some of the Maltby products and have to say they are on par with anything I've ever hit. Once you get past the "Is this a legit iron or company", which it is, you will be very pleased. They have seemed to blend classic looks with ultimate forgiveness. I'm in the process of ordering the TE Forged iron which has a shorter blade length and is a totally forged cavity back. I'm going to pair it with the KBS FLTD shafts and expect to pay just under $400 for the entire set 3-PW. If you're just trying stuff, I'd recommend that. If you want to stick to the big guys, I recommend Mizuno. Happy to answer any questions do you guys.

Driver: Callaway 815 DBD Irons: New Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15's with KBS C-Taper Stiff Flex Shafts 21,25,29,33,37,41,45 Wedges: Ben Hogan TK with KBS Tour V Stiff Flex Shafts 52,56,60 Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

I switched from my AP2s to Bridgestone unintentionally this season.

My dad won the Bridgestone irons at an event and looked down and said I can't hit these. So I played a round with them and was hooked. I picked up 10-12yds without compensating trajectory or spin. It took me almost a month before I started to trust the yardages.

The top line looks similar to the AP2s I played most of my college career so other than distance control and trusting new yardages it was a simple mid season switch.

I wasn't a fan of Bridgestone before, but am now after my experience this summer

... IMHO 'irons' are multiple components but 3 stand out to me.  

Grip  

Shaft  

Clubhead  

Grip is all personal preference and 'feel' and can easily be swapped out.  However, it is important and shouldn't be overlooked.  A proper fitting grip can eliminate certain things; I was able to minimize a pull hook with a different grip.

Shaft - I think this is just as important as the clubhead.  A lot of choices out there beyond just the flex (R/S/XS).  Take a close look here as the best clubs on the market won't perform very well unless you get the shaft that works for YOUR swing

Clubhead - you look at this on each swing; if you don't like what you're looking down at or it doesn't instill confidence then move on.  For me, the thick Ping irons (admittedly a fantastic club) just don't look right to me. However, the Callaway Apex fit my eye.  This is something I didn't realize until after I had bought a couple of sets (Ping g10, Mizuno JPX-EZ). 

Just a couple of thoughts as you look around.  Have fun!  New irons are great!!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I spent three days looking and there wasn't a Srixon iron set to be found in town.  Really would have liked to have tried them before pulling the trigger.

Driver: Titleist 917 10.5*
3 Wood: Titliest 917
Hybrid: Titleist 818

Irons: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ True Temper XP 115

Wedges: Volkey SM5 M Grind 54° & 58°; 8° bounce

Putter: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Grips: Golf Pride MCCPlus4 midsized

Preferred ball: Bridgestone Tour B-RX, ProV 1X

• 2 weeks later...

I went through a similar search a little over a year ago. A few that I think would meet your criteria that I looked into: Srixon 545, ping i, mizuno jpx 850 forged and mp h5, Bridgestone J15DF, Titleist ap2, callaway apex. Of course there are newer versions of some of these models now. I see this post started several weeks ago. Curious if you have settled on something.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

• 2 months later...

I'm biased but my vote is MP54's. I play to about a 18 right now and use these without much issue. I game from GI's and I don't notice a massive distance loss outside of the little bit I expected due to weaker lofts. They are pretty easy to hit if your strike is half way decent, and they sound and feel incredible.

If that's not your style Apex 16 are also pretty easy to hit and feel pretty good. For some reason I feel like the Pro's feel and look even better.

FWIW most of my HC comes from lack of accuracy on approaches which I think if more of a swing path issue than pure strike. I suck at putting, too.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

• 1 month later...

Make sure to take a look at the Hogan PTx. Really like them and Hogan is still around as barbajo has advised! But certainly hit all

Models to make sure and spend more time on shaft selection

I say test out the clubs new JPX 900 forged are nice, and i would check out the cobra king CB's small head but unreal feel. MP25 is good too, lots of options I agree go hit and see whats best for you.

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

900 Forged, Cobra forged tec, Apex CF16, Srixon 765, Wilson V6, new Tour Edge CB, Ping i200,

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Got to echo what every one else has said, go test what you like the look of. I would say that don't worry what type of club it blade/GI or muscle back. It's about what you find comfortable and like the look of and feel of that's important. Nothing saying a 16 shouldn't use a blade. I find my mizuno mp57s beautiful and I'm playing off 24. I think they make me swing better cause they aren't the most forgiving

Driver : ping g

3 wood : Wilson

Hybrid : mizuno jpx ez 4

Irons : mizuno mp57s 5 - w

Wedges : 52° Cleveland rtx 2.0, 60 mizuno cg

I've heard GREAT things about the Srixon Z series 545's.

I've been playing Ping since about 5 years ago (G20's and G30's) and I feel like I'm ready to jump to something like the 545's.

Just haven't had the chance to hit them yet!

There are so many great irons right now. A lot of them are blending blade like looks with cavity back level forgiveness. A lot of these irons have already been mentioned but I'll reiterate a few again..

Callaway Apex CF16

Cobra F7

Mizuno JPX 900 forged/hot metal

Srixon 565

Titleist AP1

As said prior, go test these clubs out and see which one looks the best to you and more importantly you can hit consistently.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

There are definitely a lot of great suggestion on here and I am assuming by now you have bought yourself a new set, but for what its worth I recently picked up a set of Srixon Z 545's at the end of last season and I am really looking forward to getting out this year and settling in with them. I had some different grips put on and got them fitted for my swing so they feel great.  From what I have heard the new model is slightly better, but the older one can be had for a really good price. 

It can be quite daunting when looking for equipment because there is so much great stuff out on the market.  My process was to gather information from sites like this and narrow down to 5-6 clubs.  I then went to a local dealer and demoed them all.  I actually ended up throwing a couple of additional models in as well.  Then based on feel and monitor feedback I narrowed it down a bit.  Went back another time and tried out the remaining 2 -3. I even had the opportunity to use the srixons on the course a bit, which sold me on them.  The funny thing was that they were not one of the clubs that I even considered in my original list, but decided to add in because of the positive feedback I had heard/read.

I guess that point of all my rambling is that you absolutely need to swing the clubs, multiple times on different days if possible.  Especially if you aren't golfing regularly as your swing is likely to produce different results depending on the day.  If you can do that then you should be able to confidently grab a new set.

Good luck!

:mizuno-small: ST180 w/Tensei CK Series Blue 60 Stiff
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3w w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 Stiff
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 5w w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 Stiff

:titelist-small: 818 h2 w/Tensei Pro Series White 90 Stiff
:srixon-small: z545 (5-PW) w/ KBS C taper 120

:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 50/54/58 degrees

:seemore-small: FGP Original

:taylormade-small: Project a

Archived