TESTERS WANTED! ×

Operation: Beat SLDR

hckymeyer

Wow that's pretty amazing. It makes you wonder what the possibilities/inconsistencies are in your equipment and how much of a difference it would make.

Cool stuff man! Was the performance difference basically across the board with different shafts/etc.?

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Backspin, how much did stance did I you lose or gain going from 14/3000 to 12/2600, at 105-109ss my guess it was pretty significant gains in distance with the GBB, 10-12 yards maybe?

I was focusing more on ball speed and decent angle than overall distance.  Roll on a simulator doesn't equal roll on a course.  That said it was about 4-5 yards of carry and 10-12 yards total distance.  

The GBB had a much flatter flight for me as well.  The SLDR was decending around 36-38 degree, GBB was low to mid 30's so I'm hoping for some additional runout on the course.

One more thing I forgot to mention during the fitting. Because of the way the universal fitting adapter works we weren't able to tweak any hosel settings on any of the heads.  We could move weights around, but everything was set to standard loft and neutral settings.  So I can still play around with hosel settings to tweak the GBB once I get outside with it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Don't intend to hijack your thread, but I also went to my fitting today... with "disappointing" results...

My current gamer was beating the XR16, GBB, King LTD, F6, F6+ and Bridgestone JGR.

So the fitter told me to keep the one I have and save the money, cause the new offerings won't help my game.

Good news for my pocket, but I really wanted a new driver :(

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Don't intend to hijack your thread, but I also went to my fitting today... with "disappointing" results...

My current gamer was beating the XR16, GBB, King LTD, F6, F6+ and Bridgestone JGR.

So the fitter told me to keep the one I have and save the money, cause the new offerings won't help my game.

Good news indeed. It's also nice to know your fitter is a decent fellow and suggests the best "fit" was the one you already have - unlike so many other "fitters" who are only interested in selling you clubs with expensive shafts. 

It sucks to not be told the new shiny thing is better, but at the same time it's not a bad thing.

I played my first round today with the GBB + Fuji combo and it went ok.  It was very windy to say the least and I had some good drives.  Also had some extremely questionable (to put it politely) drives.  Overall nothing I couldn't already do with the SLDR.  

Granted it was the first round and I took it straight to the course.  I hadn't hit it at all until the first tee.  For a brand new club and the course conditions I'm OK with the results, but I think I could have done just as well with the SLDR.  I need more rounds in better conditions to tell if I'm doing any better with the new driver.

I hope the conditions are better next time you're out and you can see a noticeable difference between the two drivers.

On course performance is always so interesting to pay attention to when you are sold on improved "performance"

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

It sucks to not be told the new shiny thing is better, but at the same time it's not a bad thing.

I played my first round today with the GBB + Fuji combo and it went ok.  It was very windy to say the least and I had some good drives.  Also had some extremely questionable (to put it politely) drives.  Overall nothing I couldn't already do with the SLDR.  

Granted it was the first round and I took it straight to the course.  I hadn't hit it at all until the first tee.  For a brand new club and the course conditions I'm OK with the results, but I think I could have done just as well with the SLDR.  I need more rounds in better conditions to tell if I'm doing any better with the new driver.

I'm following your trials and tribulations in search of a new driver. Interesting.

Speaking just for myself... I don't have any confidence in indoor driver fitting. I've tried twice now and both were complete busts when taken to the course. As some of you may know or recall I'm sticking with my 2014 SLDR. It's just too good. I generally average about 65% FIR. Some days better. The shots that miss the FW are not wide. Most recently I tried to kick-out the SLDR for a Cobra Fly-Z and a Fly-Z+. No go. Then almost out of feeling guilty for not buying a club from my local retailer/fitter I bought a Tmag R15 14*. I've tried it a few times with mixed results. I think I could eventually dial it in. It's a nice club. But, when game day rolls around I reach for the SLDR. Therefore.... and not to jack Hcky's the thread; my new 2015 R15 is for sale. Just saying. (see classifieds) 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing. I tried to replace my SLDR early this season. The only driver I tried that really came close to supplanting the SLDR for me was a Ping G. I found the launch and distance of the two to be surprisingly close. The G is more forgiving, but was a little bit shorter.

But what kept it from replacing the SLDR? I cannot stand the 'sound' of the G at impact. There was something just 'off' and I wasn't willing to 'get used to it' for essentially a nominal change without a clear improvement.  

That said, after trying a bunch of irons this year, I'm of the opinion that someone is going to have to pry the TP CB's out of my cold dead hands...

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

That said, after trying a bunch of irons this year, I'm of the opinion that someone is going to have to pry the TP CB's out of my cold dead hands...

I love my MCs and nothing new has really caught my eye besides the new iblade. Maybe taylormade will bring the TP line back this season.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I tried the G, thing spun like crazy and went nowhere.  Very similar results to the G30 when I tried my bro-in-laws.  

I've have 3 or 4 rounds in with the GBB Fuji combo and so far it's staying in the bag.  It can still get squirrely with a bad swing, but it does seem more forgiving than SLDR.  I haven't noticed any real gain in distance, but at the same time I haven't lost any either.  It's also much easier to flight lower when I'm playing into the wind which happens a lot on my course.

So possibly mission accomplished?  A driver that's just as long as SLDR for me but adds in the forgiveness I was looking for.  I still have yet to play it on a warm, calm day but so far I'm pretty impressed.

I still have yet to play it on a warm, calm day but so far I'm pretty impressed.

Sadly, we haven't had a warm, calm day yet!!!  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The SLDR is back in the bag!

Took my drivers along to a launch monitor (was there doing crossover testing) and as I thought - it's just so much straighter than my others, carry slightly less but rolls out plenty more and all but complete misses were down the centre line with a baby fade.

Stuff carry, I'm going back to in play.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Sadly all my messing around with my driver ended up with me unable to hit one straight again. Had to go back to just 3 wood unfortunately. Got another R15 with same setup as before but not the same :(

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Sadly all my messing around with my driver ended up with me unable to hit one straight again. Had to go back to just 3 wood unfortunately. Got another R15 with same setup as before but not the same :(

This is the main reason I rarely get rid of clubs. Even if it's the same head something could be different and it not perform the same.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I'll tell you what guys. These CG differences really are so monumentally important for golfers.

It was amazing for me yesterday. I went to a lesson, and the place I go to just happened to have a demo day for taylormade there that day. So I went about my lesson, and then afterwards my instructor invited me out to test some of the clubs.

I've been on a look out for something low spin because of my ball flight and lack of roll with my driver. I game a G30 LS Tec with a Paderson Kevlar Green shaft in it. This thing is a true fairway finder for me. It's automatic.

But MAN does it go high.

So I hit it on the range a few times on their launch monitor, and my strike truly couldn't get much better. Everything was basically dead center. I was hitting it well. My launch was consistently at 18-22 degrees, with a positive AoA of 1-2.6. My spin was 3,500-4,000 consistently. And you could just see the ball go and drop and stop out of the air.

So from me reading through the CG article, I asked to test the M1 430 with the weight forward and set to draw (lowest and most forward CG from MGS test).

We started with the Kuro Kage, and the numbers didn't change much. About 500 less RPM, but still just as high.

Then he switches me to the Aldila Tour Silver. Still high, with similar spin. It was a no go. Then we try the HAZARDOUS shaft.

I was still hitting the ball high, but my spin dropped down to 2,100 RPM pretty much instantly. He couldn't believe how high I was hitting the ball (8.5 degrees of loft) so we try one more shaft. The Tour AD-DI (it has orange graphics) and I was bombing that combination. Spin was down to 1,500-1,800 RPM. Launch angle of 16-18 degrees with a positive AoA. I was blown away.

We tried the Black Tie after the AD-DI to check another option and it just didn't work for me. But what truly just blew me away was how we could go from the G30 spin numbers of 3,500-4,000 consistently, to the M1 430 with the right shaft ranging from 1,500-1,800 RPM's. I can't believe a head and shaft combination make THAT much difference.

Wow.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I'll tell you what guys. These CG differences really are so monumentally important for golfers.

It was amazing for me yesterday. I went to a lesson, and the place I go to just happened to have a demo day for taylormade there that day. So I went about my lesson, and then afterwards my instructor invited me out to test some of the clubs.

I've been on a look out for something low spin because of my ball flight and lack of roll with my driver. I game a G30 LS Tec with a Paderson Kevlar Green shaft in it. This thing is a true fairway finder for me. It's automatic.

But MAN does it go high.

So I hit it on the range a few times on their launch monitor, and my strike truly couldn't get much better. Everything was basically dead center. I was hitting it well. My launch was consistently at 18-22 degrees, with a positive AoA of 1-2.6. My spin was 3,500-4,000 consistently. And you could just see the ball go and drop and stop out of the air.

So from me reading through the CG article, I asked to test the M1 430 with the weight forward and set to draw (lowest and most forward CG from MGS test).

We started with the Kuro Kage, and the numbers didn't change much. About 500 less RPM, but still just as high.

Then he switches me to the Aldila Tour Silver. Still high, with similar spin. It was a no go. Then we try the HAZARDOUS shaft.

I was still hitting the ball high, but my spin dropped down to 2,100 RPM pretty much instantly. He couldn't believe how high I was hitting the ball (8.5 degrees of loft) so we try one more shaft. The Tour AD-DI (it has orange graphics) and I was bombing that combination. Spin was down to 1,500-1,800 RPM. Launch angle of 16-18 degrees with a positive AoA. I was blown away.

We tried the Black Tie after the AD-DI to check another option and it just didn't work for me. But what truly just blew me away was how we could go from the G30 spin numbers of 3,500-4,000 consistently, to the M1 430 with the right shaft ranging from 1,500-1,800 RPM's. I can't believe a head and shaft combination make THAT much difference.

Wow.

Nice results!  So when are you going to update your signature with the new club???  :)

Well, I didn't pull the trigger! Haha. Thank you though. I want to go back for another lesson and demo it with my instructor to see if the results are repeatable. They're just too dramatic to believe it on the first go to be honest.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Well, I didn't pull the trigger! Haha. Thank you though. I want to go back for another lesson and demo it with my instructor to see if the results are repeatable. They're just too dramatic to believe it on the first go to be honest.

I love the AD-DI I have in my sldr. Only tried it briefly in the M1 but I may have to give it another go once I get the driver sorted out.

Funny thing. I tried to replace my SLDR early this season. The only driver I tried that really came close to supplanting the SLDR for me was a Ping G. I found the launch and distance of the two to be surprisingly close. The G is more forgiving, but was a little bit shorter.

But what kept it from replacing the SLDR? I cannot stand the 'sound' of the G at impact. There was something just 'off' and I wasn't willing to 'get used to it' for essentially a nominal change without a clear improvement.

I did the same thing - but opposite results. I compared my SLDR to the Ping G30. Numbers were almost identical, but the Ping had a smaller dispersion and was a couple yards longer. The sound and feel was far better than the SLDR. But it wasn't enough of a difference to drop $400. As luck turns out, I got the new Nike driver through MGS reviews. It is very similar to the Ping, only free. The SLDR is living happily with my brother

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I love the AD-DI I have in my sldr. Only tried it briefly in the M1 but I may have to give it another go once I get the driver sorted out.

That shaft is a beast for me in the Alpha 815.  Hated it in the original Alpha, but a winner with this head.  Interestingly enough in the 815 head I have the gravity core in the more spin setting and it is longer with a better flight that in the lower spin position.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

That's actually something I was concerned with in my initial few swings with the M1.

Not only was the spin significantly lower, I was worried that that combination was bordering on TOO low in some swings (I had a few at 1,300) that it may actually cost me some yardage.

That being said, it felt amazing to swing (less boardy than the HAZARDOUS to me, but still stout) it's just hard to justify $700 from one range session. I'll need to confirm the numbers a few times and really see a difference.

But I still can't believe how much of an effect on spin numbers the changes made.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

That's actually something I was concerned with in my initial few swings with the M1.

Not only was the spin significantly lower, I was worried that that combination was bordering on TOO low in some swings (I had a few at 1,300) that it may actually cost me some yardage.

That being said, it felt amazing to swing (less boardy than the HAZARDOUS to me, but still stout) it's just hard to justify $700 from one range session. I'll need to confirm the numbers a few times and really see a difference.

But I still can't believe how much of an effect on spin numbers the changes made.

Yea the price is a lot but if you end up with a driver that can last 3-4 seasons it'll be worth it.

No I definitely agree man. Not an issue at all, I just want it to be repeatable for me before I pull the trigger!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Yea the price is a lot but if you end up with a driver that can last 3-4 seasons it'll be worth it.

Wait, drivers last more than one season?????  Please don't tell my wife, she is convinced otherwise.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Wait, drivers last more than one season????? Please don't tell my wife, she is convinced otherwise.

Pay me off and I'll tell her they only last 9 holes

Pay me off and I'll tell her they only last 9 holes

I can't. Just dropped all my fun money on a new car. Even my wife can't extort me this week.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

You said you had weight all the way forward, you can always start inching it back to add spin. That's a good problem to have!

Haha Hcky look at you with the sales pitch!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Haha Hcky look at you with the sales pitch!

I like to talk people in to buying things.  Makes me feel better about my own habits!