TESTERS WANTED! ×

Operation: Beat SLDR

hckymeyer

there is no way I'm playing a driver where the spin is 3000-4000, I don't care if I can repeat the other numbers or not, any driver that spins as much as 3000 you're losing massive distance, even if the M1 only gets you to 2200-2300 you are still better than what you have, I would by the M1 right now.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I've got to play the bad guy here for a moment. On a launch monitor I'm able to average out my SLDR at 16.8/1900. That's really about as good as it gets.

However let a little swing flaw slip in and it gets ugly in a hurry. It will creep in too and mind you whatever my flaws I'm a very consistent ball striker. When the swing is just a tad off the ball is going nowhere with the set up that produces 17/1700, it's too close to the edge. Better to shoot for something between 14-15 and 2400 or so, lots of margin for error there.

Just a word of warning

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've got to play the bad guy here for a moment. On a launch monitor I'm able to average out my SLDR at 16.8/1900. That's really about as good as it gets.

However let a little swing flaw slip in and it gets ugly in a hurry. It will creep in too and mind you whatever my flaws I'm a very consistent ball striker. When the swing is just a tad off the ball is going nowhere with the set up that produces 17/1700, it's too close to the edge. Better to shoot for something between 14-15 and 2400 or so, lots of margin for error there.

Just a word of warning

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Well said Rev. Mishits that create less spin will produce shots that literally fall out of the air due to the lack of spin.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I listened to Rory and Tiger talk about drivers on the course once. They both prefered when it spun mid 2k range. It kept them from a bad miss apparently.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I'm calling it, it's official.  

SLDR has been dethroned.  The GBB + Fuji combo has got the nod, the spot in the bag and the Seamus headcover.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

SLDR has been dethroned.  The GBB + Fuji combo has got the nod, the spot in the bag and the Seamus headcover.

You'll be back

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 1 month later...

It was a bit of a roller coaster ride

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Yeah, kind of like this.

https://youtu.be/giY0WhKpnpI

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You'll be back

I tried, I tried so very hard and for a lot longer than I should have.

SLDR is back in the bag.  Played it the last two rounds and it was BY FAR my 2 best driving rounds of the year.

At this point I'd just like to publicly apologize to my SLDR for ever thinking I could replace it.  I'm sorry!  I'd like to say it won't happen again, but I don't want to lie to you.  So I'll just say it won't happen for a while and I've missed you a lot.

I feel the same way hcky. I tried this past year (twice) to replace my SLDR. It's still in my bag. Unless I get the bug again for a new driver it will remain there for it's 3rd season in 2017.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

SLDR is back in the bag. Played it the last two rounds and it was BY FAR my 2 best driving rounds of the year.

At this point I'd just like to publicly apologize to my SLDR for ever thinking I could replace it. I'm sorry! I'd like to say it won't happen again, but I don't want to lie to you. So I'll just say it won't happen for a while and I've missed you a lot.

I think this shows how well the SLDR was fitted for us as well as how good of a driver it is. I wonder if we were fitted again at the kingdom could a newer taylormade driver unseat it.

Also I was right 😜

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I think this shows how well the SLDR was fitted for us as well as how good of a driver it is. I wonder if we were fitted again at the kingdom could a newer taylormade driver unseat it.

Also I was right

Mine wasn't fit. OTR basically. I got lucky is all.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Look, tinkering to try to beat something that was fitted to you is going to be next to impossible, unless you go through another fitting. My $.02.

Everything about your gamer is for you. Everything you've done to beat it ISN'T for you, specifically. You want a new toy? Go through a similar fitting and see what happens... It's really the only way you'll be giving it an honest shot.

p.s. The first G30 with my Xphlexxx Agera shaft was crazy long AND forgiving...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Look, tinkering to try to beat something that was fitted to you is going to be next to impossible, unless you go through another fitting. My $.02.

Everything about your gamer is for you. Everything you've done to beat it ISN'T for you, specifically. You want a new toy? Go through a similar fitting and see what happens... It's really the only way you'll be giving it an honest shot.

p.s. The first G30 with my Xphlexxx Agera shaft was crazy long AND forgiving...

Read the thread. I did go through another fitting after trying a bunch of random combos to fit myself.

Also tried the G30 and didn't get along with it. Just a spin machine for me

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Read the thread. I did go through another fitting after trying a bunch of random combos to fit myself.

Also tried the G30 and didn't get along with it. Just a spin machine for me

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yes, Sir!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My SLDR got the boot this spring. Ended up with a BBA. I like the trajectory and feel a little better. But I might get another when the BBA loses its luster:-)

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• 1 year later...

Giving this guy a bump for a couple reasons.

1. It's one of my favorite threads

2. I'm still gaming SLDR and still trying to beat it (this years contender is Epic SZ with VA Composite Raijin)

3. The CG knowledge from T in here is absolute gold

4. We can see the origins of the SLDR-C promotion, and more importantly, we can hear directly from T about the truth of the SLDR-C

5.  It's Thursday :)

So while this thread is long, it's completely worth the read if you haven't done so yet

Now come on and get this snow to melt so I can find out what driver I'll be gaming this season!

I will also be trying to find another driver to beat my SLDR. I like my epic and it's given me some crazy long drives but the SLdr just holds a special place in my bag. We will see what happens March 24 when I head up to club champion for my fitting.

Wow, this some really heavy reading but I think I'm keeping up. I'm 4 pages into it and just had a couple interesting observations:

1) Absolute minefield of knowledge bombs. Holy smokes. The best part is, it's a conversation that's (basically) only amongst Golfspy staff. At the time, they weren't all on the staff so it's a bit of foreshadowing. Really cool to see all the big brains in one thread.

2) The CG explanations from T were an absolute for me. I wish I would've known about these things a long time ago...... like when they were posted.....I should've found Golfspy sooner.

3) In light of recent events, I lost it and died laughing when bobcat jumped in with the hot scoop about the SLDR-C. No offense, just funny because I kept waiting for him to chime in with each post I read.

4) I Thursdays

I placed my bookmark and will resume reading this novel later. Can't wait to see it on the NY Times list.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Im using a SLDR 14* (I'm a low ball hitter) with a Fubuki K shaft. Tried a R15 & it ain't playing as well. Same shaft & loft.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am soooooo intrigued by that SLDR 14 degree!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I guess I'd better get back in on this. As I've mentioned in a few other posts I'm still bagging the SLDR 460 I got in the review back in 2014. It's still original but with one or two minor paint chips and grip changes. I also have a ShotMaker installed. I've mentioned many times.... the SLDR 460 has been a great reliable and accurate club. So much so I just recently purchased another one to keep on standby in case this one cracks or something one day.

I've also been tinkering around some with a 2015 Fly-Z+ I bought recently. I'm currently trying different shafts to see if I can find one that works. I'm next going to try the same shaft (TM Fujikura Speeder 57 S-flex) as my SLDR. Just waiting for it to arrive with the Cobra adapter. I don't have high expectations and don't think I really care either. I'd love to bag the FZ+ just because I like the looks of the club. But I can't ditch the SLDR if the FZ+ can't at least match it's performance.

Wow, this some really heavy reading but I think I'm keeping up. I'm 4 pages into it and just had a couple interesting observations:

1) Absolute minefield of knowledge bombs. Holy smokes. The best part is, it's a conversation that's (basically) only amongst Golfspy staff. At the time, they weren't all on the staff so it's a bit of foreshadowing. Really cool to see all the big brains in one thread.

2) The CG explanations from T were an absolute for me. I wish I would've known about these things a long time ago...... like when they were posted.....I should've found Golfspy sooner.

3) In light of recent events, I lost it and died laughing when bobcat jumped in with the hot scoop about the SLDR-C. No offense, just funny because I kept waiting for him to chime in with each post I read.

4) I Thursdays

I placed my bookmark and will resume reading this novel later. Can't wait to see it on the NY Times list.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Only on page 4?!?!?!

You haven't even scratched the surface on the SLDR-C yet, just keep reading...

Only on page 4?!?!?!

You haven't even scratched the surface on the SLDR-C yet, just keep reading...

ball-breaks-ice-cream-cone.gif

Dang and here I was thinking I did a good job covering 4 pages in only 30 minutes.

Well I didn't have a head start like the rest of you guys!

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• SPY VIP

Still have my white SLDR in the garage bag, but the G400 keeps making the to the course bag. Such a beast. Only real threat may be the G400 MAX...

But I'll be damned if I'm getting rid of that SLDR. I've even got four different shafts for it when it needs a fancy new outfit.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

SLDR has been dethroned. The GBB + Fuji combo has got the nod, the spot in the bag and the Seamus headcover.

You'll be back

SLDR is back in the bag. Played it the last two rounds and it was BY FAR my 2 best driving rounds of the year.

At this point I'd just like to publicly apologize to my SLDR for ever thinking I could replace it. I'm sorry! I'd like to say it won't happen again, but I don't want to lie to you. So I'll just say it won't happen for a while and I've missed you a lot.

Oh lordy. What a wild series of events. Here's my surprised face when Meyer said he's back to the SLDR:

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

As you can see, I made it through the rest of the thread. The SLDR-C debate was super cringy so I have no comment for it. I guess the main positive that came out of it is I learned a little more about the big box clubs.

So I feel like this option got brushed over, but based on your descriptions, the F6+ seemed to be the best fit for you. So what if it was a fade? Hit what the club gives you. That can be a powerful option for doglegs if you can fade driver and draw 3 wood.

I know that ship has sailed on the F6+ but maybe the F8 can finish the job it started and complete the mission of beating SLDR. If any club can do it, I'd bet on that one.

One last comment. I feel like the G30 really got dumped on throughout the thread. This is surprising because everything I had previously read on the G30 suggested it was universally loved (not unlike the G400). I finally got one this past fall and absolutely love it. I'm not losing any distance and I'm finding way more fairways (6/7 last time out). To each their own though. I guess I just hit the ball in a different part of the face than you guys do

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy