hckymeyer

Operation: Beat SLDR

Our Sponsors

I will also be trying to find another driver to beat my SLDR. I like my epic and it's given me some crazy long drives but the SLdr just holds a special place in my bag. We will see what happens March 24 when I head up to club champion for my fitting.

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Im using a SLDR 14* (I'm a low ball hitter) with a Fubuki K shaft. Tried a R15 & it ain't playing as well. Same shaft & loft.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow, this some really heavy reading but I think I'm keeping up. I'm 4 pages into it and just had a couple interesting observations:

1) Absolute minefield of knowledge bombs. Holy smokes. The best part is, it's a conversation that's (basically) only amongst Golfspy staff. At the time, they weren't all on the staff so it's a bit of foreshadowing. Really cool to see all the big brains in one thread.

2) The CG explanations from T were an absolute for me. I wish I would've known about these things a long time ago...... like when they were posted.....I should've found Golfspy sooner.

3) In light of recent events, I lost it and died laughing when bobcat jumped in with the hot scoop about the SLDR-C. No offense, just funny because I kept waiting for him to chime in with each post I read.

4) I Thursdays

I placed my bookmark and will resume reading this novel later. Can't wait to see it on the NY Times list.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

Im using a SLDR 14* (I'm a low ball hitter) with a Fubuki K shaft. Tried a R15 & it ain't playing as well. Same shaft & loft.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am soooooo intrigued by that SLDR 14 degree!

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56 / RTX-3 60
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

I guess I'd better get back in on this. As I've mentioned in a few other posts I'm still bagging the SLDR 460 I got in the review back in 2014. It's still original but with one or two minor paint chips and grip changes. I also have a ShotMaker installed. I've mentioned many times.... the SLDR 460 has been a great reliable and accurate club. So much so I just recently purchased another one to keep on standby in case this one cracks or something one day.

I've also been tinkering around some with a 2015 Fly-Z+ I bought recently. I'm currently trying different shafts to see if I can find one that works. I'm next going to try the same shaft (TM Fujikura Speeder 57 S-flex) as my SLDR. Just waiting for it to arrive with the Cobra adapter. I don't have high expectations and don't think I really care either. I'd love to bag the FZ+ just because I like the looks of the club. But I can't ditch the SLDR if the FZ+ can't at least match it's performance.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Wow, this some really heavy reading but I think I'm keeping up. I'm 4 pages into it and just had a couple interesting observations:

1) Absolute minefield of knowledge bombs. Holy smokes. The best part is, it's a conversation that's (basically) only amongst Golfspy staff. At the time, they weren't all on the staff so it's a bit of foreshadowing. Really cool to see all the big brains in one thread.

2) The CG explanations from T were an absolute for me. I wish I would've known about these things a long time ago...... like when they were posted.....I should've found Golfspy sooner.

3) In light of recent events, I lost it and died laughing when bobcat jumped in with the hot scoop about the SLDR-C. No offense, just funny because I kept waiting for him to chime in with each post I read.

4) I Thursdays

I placed my bookmark and will resume reading this novel later. Can't wait to see it on the NY Times list.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Only on page 4?!?!?!

You haven't even scratched the surface on the SLDR-C yet, just keep reading...

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Only on page 4?!?!?!

You haven't even scratched the surface on the SLDR-C yet, just keep reading...

ball-breaks-ice-cream-cone.gif

Dang and here I was thinking I did a good job covering 4 pages in only 30 minutes.

Well I didn't have a head start like the rest of you guys!

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Still have my white SLDR in the garage bag, but the G400 keeps making the to the course bag. Such a beast. Only real threat may be the G400 MAX...

But I'll be damned if I'm getting rid of that SLDR. I've even got four different shafts for it when it needs a fancy new outfit.

• Like 2

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm calling it, it's official.

SLDR has been dethroned. The GBB + Fuji combo has got the nod, the spot in the bag and the Seamus headcover.

You'll be back
I tried, I tried so very hard and for a lot longer than I should have.

SLDR is back in the bag. Played it the last two rounds and it was BY FAR my 2 best driving rounds of the year.

At this point I'd just like to publicly apologize to my SLDR for ever thinking I could replace it. I'm sorry! I'd like to say it won't happen again, but I don't want to lie to you. So I'll just say it won't happen for a while and I've missed you a lot.

Oh lordy. What a wild series of events. Here's my surprised face when Meyer said he's back to the SLDR:

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

As you can see, I made it through the rest of the thread. The SLDR-C debate was super cringy so I have no comment for it. I guess the main positive that came out of it is I learned a little more about the big box clubs.

So I feel like this option got brushed over, but based on your descriptions, the F6+ seemed to be the best fit for you. So what if it was a fade? Hit what the club gives you. That can be a powerful option for doglegs if you can fade driver and draw 3 wood.

I know that ship has sailed on the F6+ but maybe the F8 can finish the job it started and complete the mission of beating SLDR. If any club can do it, I'd bet on that one.

One last comment. I feel like the G30 really got dumped on throughout the thread. This is surprising because everything I had previously read on the G30 suggested it was universally loved (not unlike the G400). I finally got one this past fall and absolutely love it. I'm not losing any distance and I'm finding way more fairways (6/7 last time out). To each their own though. I guess I just hit the ball in a different part of the face than you guys do

• Like 1

I was fitted for my Ping G400.  Gained about 12 yards over my Ping G but what really impressed me was reduction of about 30% in my shot dispersion!

• Like 2

For those of you who still think the original (2013-2014) SLDR Retail Drivers are worth another shot, I suggest the easily-applied 'SLDR Fix' to resolve this driver's lack of forgiveness issues.  By eliminating the dreaded 'low hook miss' that is so common with this driver, (even on sound swings), perhaps you can keep it in the bag for awhile, despite it's flaws!.. B)

The 'Fix' is applicable to all original Retail SLDR Drivers including the 430, 460, and the Silver 'S' model.  It is not for the SLDR Tour-issued models which already have a different weighting scheme than the Retail models, (i.e.a toe screw and a heavier metal toe plate, plus a lighter silver weight beneath the blue slider). 'The SLDR Fix' is also not applicable for the redesigned-for-2015 SLDR-C Driver either, as the 'C' does not suffer from any forgiveness issues, or 'loft up' requirements of the original SLDR Driver models... :rolleyes:   

Click on the link below, then scroll down to Post #77 to learn how to apply 'The SLDR Fix' to your original (2013-2014) Retail SLDR Driver.  

SLDR Anonymous Meeting - Equipment - GolfWRX - Page 3

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

It took me a long time to read this entire thread, but I found the info very, very interesting. Most excellent throw-back!

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

So I feel like this option got brushed over, but based on your descriptions, the F6+ seemed to be the best fit for you. So what if it was a fade? Hit what the club gives you. That can be a powerful option for doglegs if you can fade driver and draw 3 wood.

I know that ship has sailed on the F6+ but maybe the F8 can finish the job it started and complete the mission of beating SLDR. If any club can do it, I'd bet on that one.

One last comment. I feel like the G30 really got dumped on throughout the thread. This is surprising because everything I had previously read on the G30 suggested it was universally loved (not unlike the G400). I finally got one this past fall and absolutely love it. I'm not losing any distance and I'm finding way more fairways (6/7 last time out). To each their own though. I guess I just hit the ball in a different part of the face than you guys do

There was nothing inherently wrong with the fade from the F6+, it just wasn't the shot shape I was looking for.  My miss at the time with driver was a big banana slice that lost all power.  Not the power fade that DJ plays.  I felt like a driver that was already fading could be worse for that miss vs the SLDR that I could hit mostly straight or turn a little left.

I got one round in last Nov with the Epic with an AD-DI in it and it was very similar.  Power fades all day long which is a very controllable ball to play, but it's not as sexy as the high draw :)  It was also 40 degree's out and I hadn't played in a month.  So I'm waiting to try it with the Raijin and in warmer weather before making any rash decisions.

For the G30 I wouldn't say it was universally loved, but I know a ton of guy that got along really well with that club.  I just wasn't one of them.  I tried that, the G the next year, and I've hit the G400 in the sim (both regular and LST) and all of them a banana slicing spin machines for my swing.

One last contender I forgot about for this year is the Cleveland Launcher HB.  I hit it the one round we played on the Cleveland trip and it could be playable as well.  The only harder part is that it's not as easy to swap shafts with a bonded hosel.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

For those of you who still think the original (2013-2014) SLDR Retail Drivers are worth another shot, I suggest the easily applied 'SLDR Fix' to resolve the lack of forgiveness issues. By eliminating the dreaded 'low hook miss' that is so common with this driver, (even on sound swings), perhaps you can keep it in the bag for awhile, despite it's flaws!.. B)

The 'Fix' is applicable to all original Retail SLDR Drivers including the 430, 460, and the Silver 'S' model. It is not for the SLDR Tour-issued models which already have a different weighting scheme than the Retail models, (i.e.a toe screw and a heavier metal toe plate, plus a lighter silver weight beneath the blue slider). 'The SLDR Fix' is also not applicable for the redesigned-for-2015 SLDR-C Driver either, as the 'C' does not suffer from any of the forgiveness issues, or 'loft up' requirements of the original SLDR Driver models... :rolleyes:

Click on the link below, then scroll down to Post #77 to learn how to apply 'The SLDR Fix' to your original (2013-2014) Retail SLDR Driver.

How do I report this as spam?

• Like 2

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I think it's an interesting post- who knows- it might work...

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

There was nothing inherently wrong with the fade from the F6+, it just.................

Hmm. Interesting predicament. I'm surprised the M1 didn't work for you the same way it did Shawn.

Are you going to give #TwistyMcTwistface a try this year?

This was everything I could hope for in a thread. Drama. Wisdom. Pathos. Insanity.

• Like 5

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

How do I report this as spam?

Maybe you should 'taste it' yourself first before passing judgement... :rolleyes:

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

I think it's an interesting post - who knows - it might work...

Indeed, it does work, and 'The SLDR Fix' has been applied by many people already who enjoyed great success with their original SLDR Drivers once 'the fix' was applied'.

Please follow the directions precisely as instructed in the post, including the initial slider setting that is recommended there. 

To learn how to apply 'The SLDR Fix', just click on the link below then scroll down to Post #77

Maybe you should 'taste it' first before making that judgement... :rolleyes:

Hard pass