hckymeyer

Operation: Beat SLDR

Our Sponsors

Ah. Well, at least it will build the anticipation! Haha.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Booked my fitting for 2pm tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2ndSwing in Minneapolis.  I'm doing their "Tour Van" fitting so should be a fun experience.  

I'm heading to the same guy that fit Barbajo a while back, you can see his thoughts on the facility here.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/12417-a-tour-van-level-fitting-in-minneapolis-or-how-golfspy-barbajo-got-xtra-stiff/

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Booked my fitting for 2pm tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2ndSwing in Minneapolis. I'm doing their "Tour Van" fitting so should be a fun experience.

I'm heading to the same guy that fit Barbajo a while back, you can see his thoughts on the facility here.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/12417-a-tour-van-level-fitting-in-minneapolis-or-how-golfspy-barbajo-got-xtra-stiff/

The gears system will be eye opening!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Went in for my fitting and had a great time.  Thomas at 2ndSwing knows his stuff and was really easy to work with.

Didn't end up hitting SubZero, they didn't have them in stock yet and since I'm after more forgiveness than SLDR it didn't sound like a great option anyway.

I also brought M1, F6+ and SLDR with me along with all the shafts I had.  I hit around 12-13 different head/shaft combo's and probably 60+ drives in an hour.  I was gassed by the end, but we found a great combo.

First thing that was great after noticing my shot pattern on the face was a recommendation of going down to 44.5" from 45".  Then we tried Ping G LS Tec, Cally Great Big Bertha, M1, Titleist D3, and Cobra F6+.  Of all the heads I was getting the best numbers with the Cally GBB.  I tried Diamana, Kiyoshi Gold, AD-BB, Whiteboard in X, Fuel and then the Fuji Speeder Pro XLR8 63.  It came down to the Fuel and the Speeder XLR8, both gave good numbers, but the Speeder felt much better.

With the SLDR 10.5 (set to 11) and Diamana D+ 62 stiff I was getting 150ish ball speed, 14 degree launch and 3000rpm spin.  Swing speed 109

Cally GBB w/ Fuji Speed Pro XLR8 63 in X-stiff I was 155 ball speed, 12 degree launch and 2600rpm spin.  Similar swing speed.

I have a -1 to -2 degree angle of attack.  I thought it was very interesting that Thomas said 90% of the people he fits with a negative angle of attack end up being a great fit for the Great Big Bertha.  Positive angle of attack works better with XR series.

I picked up the shaft yesterday and the head is coming in the mail today.  I'm excited to get this combo out to the course and see if the numbers match real world performance.

On a side note I played the SLDR on Wed and had a fantastic driving day.  I think it was trying to shape up since it knows there is a contender on the way.

• Like 3

You know it Knows!

On a side note I played the SLDR on Wed and had a fantastic driving day.  I think it was trying to shape up since it knows there is a contender on the way

• Like 2

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Nice! Were you still swinging at 109mph towards the end?

I'll buy all those heads you won't be needing for $100 :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Nice! Were you still swinging at 109mph towards the end?

I'll buy all those heads you won't be needing for $100 :D

Probably 105-106 by the end, but I was pretty consistent.

Funny enough I came home and listed everything I'd bought over the winter on Tuesday night.  By Wed morning the only thing remaining is a Diamana D+ and a HZRDUS shaft.  I was able to cover the new driver and shaft plus a pair of shoes and still have money left in my paypal account :)

Were the differences between the GBB and the other heads performance wise pretty dramatic? How did the "low spin" options perform?

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Were the differences between the GBB and the other heads performance wise pretty dramatic? How did the "low spin" options perform?

I can post the average for everything when I get a chance, but the GBB was much better for me.  LS Tec was a spin machine, avg 3600rpm and massive fade.  Think 747 dipping a wing and turning massive fade.

M1 was around 3150 and F6+ weight back was 3300 or so.

The biggest thing with the GBB for me was consistency.  Unless I put a terrible swing on the ball there wasn't as much difference between good and bad.  With every other combo I had one or two shots that would be OK, but the averages were much worse across the board.  Both in ball speed and spin.  It was just easier to find the center of the face with the Bertha.

The club head just came in an hour ago so I got it all gripped up and put together.  Not sure if I'll get a chance to hit it today, but I will tomorrow for sure.

• Like 1

Backspin, how much did stance did I you lose or gain going from 14/3000 to 12/2600, at 105-109ss my guess it was pretty significant gains in distance with the GBB, 10-12 yards maybe?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Wow that's pretty amazing. It makes you wonder what the possibilities/inconsistencies are in your equipment and how much of a difference it would make.

Cool stuff man! Was the performance difference basically across the board with different shafts/etc.?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Backspin, how much did stance did I you lose or gain going from 14/3000 to 12/2600, at 105-109ss my guess it was pretty significant gains in distance with the GBB, 10-12 yards maybe?

I was focusing more on ball speed and decent angle than overall distance.  Roll on a simulator doesn't equal roll on a course.  That said it was about 4-5 yards of carry and 10-12 yards total distance.  

The GBB had a much flatter flight for me as well.  The SLDR was decending around 36-38 degree, GBB was low to mid 30's so I'm hoping for some additional runout on the course.

One more thing I forgot to mention during the fitting. Because of the way the universal fitting adapter works we weren't able to tweak any hosel settings on any of the heads.  We could move weights around, but everything was set to standard loft and neutral settings.  So I can still play around with hosel settings to tweak the GBB once I get outside with it.

Don't intend to hijack your thread, but I also went to my fitting today... with "disappointing" results...

My current gamer was beating the XR16, GBB, King LTD, F6, F6+ and Bridgestone JGR.

So the fitter told me to keep the one I have and save the money, cause the new offerings won't help my game.

Good news for my pocket, but I really wanted a new driver :(

• Like 2

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Don't intend to hijack your thread, but I also went to my fitting today... with "disappointing" results...

My current gamer was beating the XR16, GBB, King LTD, F6, F6+ and Bridgestone JGR.

So the fitter told me to keep the one I have and save the money, cause the new offerings won't help my game.

Good news indeed. It's also nice to know your fitter is a decent fellow and suggests the best "fit" was the one you already have - unlike so many other "fitters" who are only interested in selling you clubs with expensive shafts. 

• Like 3

It sucks to not be told the new shiny thing is better, but at the same time it's not a bad thing.

I played my first round today with the GBB + Fuji combo and it went ok.  It was very windy to say the least and I had some good drives.  Also had some extremely questionable (to put it politely) drives.  Overall nothing I couldn't already do with the SLDR.  

Granted it was the first round and I took it straight to the course.  I hadn't hit it at all until the first tee.  For a brand new club and the course conditions I'm OK with the results, but I think I could have done just as well with the SLDR.  I need more rounds in better conditions to tell if I'm doing any better with the new driver.

• Like 2

I hope the conditions are better next time you're out and you can see a noticeable difference between the two drivers.

On course performance is always so interesting to pay attention to when you are sold on improved "performance"

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

It sucks to not be told the new shiny thing is better, but at the same time it's not a bad thing.

I played my first round today with the GBB + Fuji combo and it went ok.  It was very windy to say the least and I had some good drives.  Also had some extremely questionable (to put it politely) drives.  Overall nothing I couldn't already do with the SLDR.  

Granted it was the first round and I took it straight to the course.  I hadn't hit it at all until the first tee.  For a brand new club and the course conditions I'm OK with the results, but I think I could have done just as well with the SLDR.  I need more rounds in better conditions to tell if I'm doing any better with the new driver.

I'm following your trials and tribulations in search of a new driver. Interesting.

Speaking just for myself... I don't have any confidence in indoor driver fitting. I've tried twice now and both were complete busts when taken to the course. As some of you may know or recall I'm sticking with my 2014 SLDR. It's just too good. I generally average about 65% FIR. Some days better. The shots that miss the FW are not wide. Most recently I tried to kick-out the SLDR for a Cobra Fly-Z and a Fly-Z+. No go. Then almost out of feeling guilty for not buying a club from my local retailer/fitter I bought a Tmag R15 14*. I've tried it a few times with mixed results. I think I could eventually dial it in. It's a nice club. But, when game day rolls around I reach for the SLDR. Therefore.... and not to jack Hcky's the thread; my new 2015 R15 is for sale. Just saying. (see classifieds) 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Funny thing. I tried to replace my SLDR early this season. The only driver I tried that really came close to supplanting the SLDR for me was a Ping G. I found the launch and distance of the two to be surprisingly close. The G is more forgiving, but was a little bit shorter.

But what kept it from replacing the SLDR? I cannot stand the 'sound' of the G at impact. There was something just 'off' and I wasn't willing to 'get used to it' for essentially a nominal change without a clear improvement.  

That said, after trying a bunch of irons this year, I'm of the opinion that someone is going to have to pry the TP CB's out of my cold dead hands...

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 18.0 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ Hogan GS53 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W Hogan GS52 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X

That said, after trying a bunch of irons this year, I'm of the opinion that someone is going to have to pry the TP CB's out of my cold dead hands...

I love my MCs and nothing new has really caught my eye besides the new iblade. Maybe taylormade will bring the TP line back this season.

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot