TESTERS WANTED! ×

What soft ball do you prefer?

pops

My Dad is in his 50s, and has a handicap of about 17. Currently he's been using either Pinnacle Gold balls or the Callaway Chrome Softs, with both balls having positives and negatives, according to him.

The Pinnacles give a little bit more distance, due to their tendency for extra bounce, which can cause issues around the greens because the ball doesn't produce enough spin on chips and approach shots.

The Callaways are the opposite, giving amazing control around the greens, but it means sacrificing a bit of distance off the tee due to the lower bounce.

And considering my Dad doesn't hit the ball as far as he used to, he tends to reach for the Pinnacle ball more often than the Callaway. He has tried other balls, such as Srixon SoftFeels & Distance, Bridgestone Fix and Titliest DT Solo/TruSoft, but he always goes back to the ChromeSofts and Pinnacle Golds.

Every person has a different preference for different things, and golf balls are no different. I was struggling for about 5-6 months to find a golf ball that caters to my game, until I settled upon the Titliest Pro V1X, so take your time with choosing the right ball for you.

I can't imagine jumping between those two balls. There is nothing "wrong" with either in that each delivers as advertised. I would suggest that your Dad stick with one or the other and adjust his short game accordingly.

Its not as if you can't play around the green with a ball that spins less. You will have fewer options so you need to play more bump and runs and learn to hit higher pitches to stop the ball quicker.

On most courses that we play it will make little difference in approaches from 100 and out. Does he really need the distance though? I'm in my late 50's and have clearly lost distance. But that's why state golf associations allow us to move up a set at 55. I shot 75 on Tuesday and maybe averaged 230 with the driver.

In regards to soft feeling ball the Duo Urethane works fine but I'm not certain that's the original question. Balls may feel soft or firm and the feel has little to do with the spin rate. Also is price point a concern because we are all over the place in this thread.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried a few brands, Nike, Callaway and Wilsons to name a few, and I prefer Srixon. My opinion

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Today I played one Wison Duo...all day until I lost it on 18 in the creek (pebble Creek).  The ball was durable, had distance and control and stopped on the greens when I needed it to.  Overall, it did all I asked of it.  Drives were 210-220, 8, 9 & PW were spot on.....putting was a bit off, but that was me...not the ball.  The ball came off my putter and traveled the distance needed, just off a bit. This is good because I have a couple dozen..

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Played the Wilson Staff a Duo yesterday and today.....I am thinking this is my ball. Drives 205, 210, 215, 220, 250! Bunker play was great, stopping on a dime. Putting feels terrific....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I can't imagine jumping between those two balls. There is nothing "wrong" with either in that each delivers as advertised. I would suggest that your Dad stick with one or the other and adjust his short game accordingly.

Its not as if you can't play around the green with a ball that spins less. You will have fewer options so you need to play more bump and runs and learn to hit higher pitches to stop the ball quicker.

On most courses that we play it will make little difference in approaches from 100 and out. Does he really need the distance though? I'm in my late 50's and have clearly lost distance. But that's why state golf associations allow us to move up a set at 55. I shot 75 on Tuesday and maybe averaged 230 with the driver.

In regards to soft feeling ball the Duo Urethane works fine but I'm not certain that's the original question. Balls may feel soft or firm and the feel has little to do with the spin rate. Also is price point a concern because we are all over the place in this thread.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Dad got the hang of the ChromeSofts within a fortnight, and he tended to have mostly Pinnacle balls and SoftFeel Srixons (which he doesn't like due to the feel). I was sent a few ChromeSofts from Callaway Asia-Pacific due to my support of them on social media. I gave Dad 3 balls out of the 6 sent to me, as he reckoned they'd suit his game better than mine - which proved to be correct. 

I'm not sure what kind of course you play on, but our home course is roughly 5900m (6500yd) with a few long holes of 400yd+ (par 4s). Dad's lost a fair bit of distance over the past 2 years as well, for some unknown reason. He used to average about 230-240yd (meaning he could keep up with my 280yd drives) off the tee, but now struggles to reach 230yd and averages 210-220yd. He's quite competitive, so he's a bit frustrated that I'm hitting 4 iron the same distance as his driver, so he takes any advantage he can get, particularly trying out different golf balls.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Still gaming the Duo Urethane. I just can't get past how much I like the feel of it. Even though I hit completely different shots with the Pro v1x. I'm almost tempted to go back seeing how bad my games been, but at the same point I don't think it'll help the dribblers.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 2 weeks later...

Really sad our golfhdqtrs cant get the yellow n black chrome softs. Been on order since jan. Im thinking rep doesnt really care as long as they have all the clubs the need. Had ti buy mine in colorado.

Richard father of 7 and ex army enlisted then officer. Love outdoors 

Feel the Duo hurts my distances anytime of year.i like the titleist velocity for colder weather. Nxt tour for the hot rounds.

Titleist 910 7.5 driver,callaway 48,56 degree wedges.ping g irons 5-pw purple dot.19,21 degree titleist 913 hybrids.

Played the DUO U for the first time a couple days ago...they are the real deal

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I've played the DU a few times and I like it. My first impression was that I wasn't getting the same distance as i'm accustomed too with some other balls. (CS, MGtour, Snell, etc.) However, after a couple more rounds I'm not so sure about that. I've shot some really good rounds (with good driver & iron distances) with the DU so I'm thinking now my initial impression wasn't valid. The DU is a good all-round performer. I just don't think I can tell all that much difference between some of my fav balls and the DU. I think I'll add it to my gamer rotation.

For the money and overall performance I still think the MG-Tour is the best. It's kind of hard to turn down paying $19.95/doz. for a ball that I personally can't tell the difference from a $48/doz. ball.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Well when I thought all was lost Bridgestone started making my favorite ball again the Treo Soft. Golf Smith must be hurting because they sent me not one but coupons one for $10 off any purchase over $10 uhhh makes sense and one for $30 off of a $50 or more purchase. Found out they had the Treo Softs in bulk for $14 a dozen. Ended up getting 5 dozen and they let me use both coupons on the same purchase. So for $30 I got 5 dozen. Pretty good deal. Also got in another freebie this morning ran into a Pro friend of mine from NC I had not seen for years. He had gotten on the Snell bandwagon he ended up giving me 2 of each so I will be running my own Snell Test in the future

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've tried the Wilson Duo and it felt too soft for me, it did perform around and on the greens but lost some distance off of my tee shots. Moved on to the Titleist DT Trusoft and I have to say this ball performs to my expectations, only wish is that it would spin more around the greens. I love this ball and the price. While out on the course I found a mint condish Callaway Supersoft ball and this ball also performed well. Distance and flight characteristics were equal to my Trusoft ball. Might get me some of these balls soon. Last but not least, Snell balls are all the rave these days, so I'll definitely try some of the MTB in the near future.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I used to play the Noodle Long & Soft during winter :D

I really liked this ball when I was starting out and ss was around 90-100. Tried using again recently during the winter but both it and the Project A taylormade would go sky high and not very far.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find a good ball. Don't know where to start

What do you look for? Me personally i have to have a urethane cover. Ima fly it and stick it guy. I play the 2 piece e5. It gives me great distanc eoff the tee (2 piece construction) control on greens (urethane cover). If you like a supoer soft ball grab the super softs from Callaway.

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I can't find a good ball. Don't know where to start

The Snell Get Sum is a good distance ball and priced around $20/dozen. I usually play it in the winter. During the summer I play the Snell My Tour Ball priced at $27/dozen. To me it plays just like a Pro V1X. Not quite as long as the Get Sum off the tee but much better spin around the greens. I think they also offer trial packs on their website.

I also like the Callaway Chromesoft and have been playing it lately since I haven't had a chance to order more Snells yet. It's a little more pricey at $40/dozen.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Snell MTB if you like the ball to stop, it plays very similar to the V1x. The other ball I play is the Cally Chrome Soft. It performs for me very similar to the Snell MTB. Except it's a bit softer.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have been changing around a lot lately but, the ball I have found that seems to work very well for me is the Titleist Velocity. I get better distance, less left to right movement and it seems to stop pretty quick on the green for me.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

I have to admit I am partial to the Wilson Duo U.  Buttery soft around the green and plenty long off the tee.  Was a great ball in the cool spring and even a better ball in the warmer temps.  Plays just as well even as my swing speed has increased!

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

I'm kind of diggin the Project(a) right now. It performs well in all categories as far a I can tell. Can't believe I haven't discovered them before now.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've been a Titleist ProV1x user for about 10 years now and love them. They give me enough spin for approaches but still are durable enough to last multiple rounds.

Now that the price is more affordable I've seen no reason to look for a cheaper option.

Mizuno MP-25 irons, R/H, N.S. Pro 950GH regular shafts

Cobra King LTD 8.5 degrees driver, R/H stiff Aldila Rogue shaft

Titleist 3-wood 915F, 15 degrees, Diamana stiff flex shaft

Queensland, Australia

Handicap 5

www.HittingItSolid.com

The Perfect Golf Swing

favicon-96x96.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Chrome Soft in summer & TM Tour Preferred this winter.

I feel that Chrome Soft is a better ball for me, and it is outperforming the TM by a lot for greenside control.  I still have a sleeve of TM's to use, and tbh, can't wait until they're gone.

Have a dozen Pro V1 & V1x's to use next, then will have a wider range to make my decision on.

Cost does have an influence, but not my main factor in choosing a ball.

While on vacation a few weeks ago, the Bridgestone guys were at a club I played just outside of Frankfort, KY.  So my Buddy & I went early for the ball fitting.  They tracked my swing speed at 79 mph and suggested that I needed a harder core so they put me in the B330.  I found this somewhat confusing as the harder core was a straighter flight path as compared to the Snell MTB.  Anybody have any thoughts on why a low SS (79 mph) should be playing a ball that is setup for SS over 105 mph?  BTW, I did play it for several rounds and did hit it very straight.  Anyway, I am now confused.

While on vacation a few weeks ago, the Bridgestone guys were at a club I played just outside of Frankfort, KY.  So my Buddy & I went early for the ball fitting.  They tracked my swing speed at 79 mph and suggested that I needed a harder core so they put me in the B330.  I found this somewhat confusing as the harder core was a straighter flight path as compared to the Snell MTB.  Anybody have any thoughts on why a low SS (79 mph) should be playing a ball that is setup for SS over 105 mph?  BTW, I did play it for several rounds and did hit it very straight.  Anyway, I am now confused.

I don't have an answer for that Foz.  Maybe we could get Dean Snell to comment.  

As for being confused, we are supposed to be confused; that way we buy more stuff.   :wacko:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been playing and have been happy with the Wilson Duo. I may try the Snell product. It is getting good reviews here. 

Dennis

The Golf Home Pro

www.SuncoastGolfHomes.com

Dennis Boyle

The Golf Home Pro

Suncoast Golf Homes

Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Atchley Properties

www.suncoastgolfhomes.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to try out the Wilson Duo very soon!

Twitter: @EdmundCruz 

@ChiGolfAth 

What's In The Bag:

Driver:  Tour Edge Golf EX9 10 degrees, UST Mamiya ATTAS COOOL Stiff Flex
Hybrid:  Tour Edge Golf Exotics EX9 #3 Hybrid, UST MAMIYA RECOIL 670 F4 Stiff Flex
Irons:
:benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15 Irons, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47 KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Wedges:
:benhogan-small: TK 15 Wedges, 51, 55, 59. KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Putter: Buzelli Golf STA-1, Standard Loft/Lie
Ball:  Snell Golf My Tour Ball 

Archived