I am still playing the Staff Zip, love the feel. Also like the Duo as well

Driver TM Superfast 9.5

3W      TM Burner 15

Hybrid  TM Burner 19

Irons    Ping I3 Blade 4-PW

GW      Ping I wedge 52

LW       Ping I wedge 58

Putter   Carbite

I have to be honest.   Back when it mattered, I could never tell which ball was carrying the live ammo.

When God decides to finally give His universe a long overdue remodeling job, let's hope He remembers not to first roll a nice big fatty this time.

Today, the central air is finally getting a rest.  Every window is wide open for a complete fresh air transfusion. It couldn't be nicer.  It's the kind of day when Ernie Banks would have wanted to play two and I would have wanted to play 36.

Of course, back when I could have actually played 36, I'd be stuck at my desk, the most disinterested in business person on the planet, analyzing accounts.  My mind would be racing to figure out a way to duck out early enough to squeeze in 9. 

My dog Molly's second birthday is coming up on Sunday.  That's the most exciting thing happening right now.  I hope that all is well with you and yours.

I have been gaming the Titleist PTS Wound balls from around 10 years ago as I had a draw full and hadnt played since then when I took up Golf seriously 3 months ago, . I read somewhere the other day that as they were wound balls they only had  a 4 or 5 year lifespan so I may or may not be losing distance with them.

I am not sure if thats the case but they are responsive around the greens, I have been in a time warp it seems and I do not understand the difference in the modern balls, I have heard good things about the srixon ad 333 balls from other golfers but I have never really given serious thought to what ball I am using.

Obviously even the balls I have (if they have deteriorated inside) are longer than the old Balata style balls but  are the modern 4 or even 5 piece balls longer and easily controlled around the greens?

What ball do you guys recommend as decent for distance and good around the greens and cheap at the price?

I have been gaming the Titleist PTS Wound balls from around 10 years ago as I had a draw full and hadnt played since then when I took up Golf seriously 3 months ago, . I read somewhere the other day that as they were wound balls they only had  a 4 or 5 year lifespan so I may or may not be losing distance with them.

I am not sure if thats the case but they are responsive around the greens, I have been in a time warp it seems and I do not understand the difference in the modern balls, I have heard good things about the srixon ad 333 balls from other golfers but I have never really given serious thought to what ball I am using.

Obviously even the balls I have (if they have deteriorated inside) are longer than the old Balata style balls but  are the modern 4 or even 5 piece balls longer and easily controlled around the greens?

What ball do you guys recommend as decent for distance and good around the greens and cheap at the price?

Personally, I've always been a fan of the Callaway Hex Chrome and Bridgestone B330s - they were roughly AUD$35/dozen (roughly 25 euros, I think) - when I was first starting to play golf. Whilst the Hex Chromes might be a bit difficult to find (they were a 2013/14 model), the B330s are a current production model. 

However, I would try them all (including the AD333s) so that you work out the best ball for you.

Good luck!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Normally I hit the Prov-1 all year long but with winter here I decided to hit the Callaway Chrome Soft.

Played a round today where temps were around 50, no wind and switched between the two balls over 18 holes and truth be told saw no difference, at least with today's swing and wet fairways. However the Chrome Soft balls were the yellow balls so from a "Which ball is mine" perspective" playing the Yellow Callaway Chrome Soft it was easier to find my ball. Since two of my playing partners were playing Orange balls it was not hard to find mine anyway ;-)

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

Going to ask here, thoughts on Maxfli U6 golf balls? Or direct me if there has been reviews done on these

I found a U4 Maxfli and put it in play as it was in really good shape. I was totally surprised at how well it reacted on the green .   I was thinking about dropping by Dick's and picking up a dozen of the new U6 as the reviews on their site are strong in favor of them.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57136196&cp=4406646.70516396.4413989&categoryId=70571706&fg=Brand

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I found a U4 Maxfli and put it in play as it was in really good shape. I was totally surprised at how well it reacted on the green .   I was thinking about dropping by Dick's and picking up a dozen of the new U6 as the reviews on their site are strong in favor of them.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57136196&cp=4406646.70516396.4413989&categoryId=70571706&fg=Brand

The other ball that plays well is the Wilson Duo. To quote a review (not here).

"It's marshmallow-soft off the putter, but the real fun is hitting it with a long club.  With a wood or iron, the Duo makes it feel like you're hitting a tennis ball with a baseball bat."

Hows that for a winter ball, other than the elusive Costco KSig (;)

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

I play with a guy who is 70, not very flexible, and only uses 'soft balls'. He loves the Callaway Supersoft and Srixon Soft Feel.

He tried a Chrome Soft the other day, and said it was as hard as my beloved ProV1's.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The other ball that plays well is the Wilson Duo. To quote a review (not here).

"It's marshmallow-soft off the putter, but the real fun is hitting it with a long club.  With a wood or iron, the Duo makes it feel like you're hitting a tennis ball with a baseball bat."

Hows that for a winter ball, other than the elusive Costco KSig ( ;)

I'll have to put those on the to do/try list! :D 

Cleveland

I have Some Duos, Duo Spins and Duo U's. They all play well for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It's the DUO U for me all the way!

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to the vice soft ball. I game the dttrusoft and I love it. I want to try the bridgestone e6 too, I had good numbers with it on the launch monitor.

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Srixon Soft Feels are what I have been using for a little while now and I love the way they feel off the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Recently, I found the Callaway Chrome Soft and tried that. I love it. The ball gives me good distance and control. It is more than the Taylor Made that I was playing.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade R15, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Heat II Single Length Irons 4-AW, SW, LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

I just switched from the Callaway Chrome soft to the Bridgestone E6 Soft. Still think overall the Chromesoft is better but im not good enough to be losing that bal, lol

I will give the supersoft and Srixon soft a try but we had a Golf expo and was able to get the new Bridgestone E6 Soft for 20 a box

I really like the Crome Soft ball. Srixon makes a solid ball in the Q Star model so you might want to also give it a try.

Cleveland

Srixon just the changed the 72 compression "Soft Feel" to 60 compression.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I am 69 and I play the Chrome Soft year round, it is soft but still will bite even with my slow swing speed.  Great ball IMO. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I have recently tried the Volvik S4 (big Bubba fan so I wanted to see what the hype was about) - I really like the ball, but it is a little too expensive @ 45 dollars a dozen.  I really loved the Callaway Tour iS ball, but they have since discontinued that and I am not sure where to find it now! Right now I have a mixed bag of Snell My Tour Ball and Callaway ChromeSoft.  I like both of these balls and I like the price point better than the Volvik.  I love hearing about what other golfers are using - great topic!

Driver: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Speed (10.5 degrees, Stiff)
Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 915H 3h (stiff)
Irons: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4-AW, stiff +.5 inch long)
Wedges: :nike-small: Nike Engage (52, 56, 60)
Putter: :seemore-small: SeeMore FGP Mallet
Ball: Vice Pro Soft

Bag: Puma Cart Bag

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FootJoy Hyperflex BOA

Dexterity: Right Handed

Handicap: 14

I have been using the chrome soft and the MTB lately. I feel like they are very similar, with the CS definitely feeling softer to me, but they spin about the same (as far as I can tell). I imagine the new vice ball will be very similar, looking forward to hearing our MGS testers response to that one. 

I am planning to taking a sleeve of DUO's (either Spin or U), e6 softs and probably the new Z-Star's out to do some testing once I can get out and play some rounds (the weather is finally nice and then I go and aggrevate an old knee injury and can't play!!!!!!). I am concerned the duo's will be too soft and the e6's won't spin like I want them to, but I am always willing to tinker. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

In the non-urethane category Supersoft was by far the best I've used.  Great ball.

WITB
Driver: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha udesign
Woods: :callaway-small: XR 3w, 7w
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX EZ Forged 2016 4-G
Wedge: :ping-small: Eye 2 Gorge S
Putter: Odyssey Works Versa 2-Ball Fang

Ball: :callaway-small: Supersoft 2017

Archived