TESTERS WANTED! ×

What soft ball do you prefer?

pops

I'm really interested in seeing what the testers think of the Vice Pro Soft. 

I actually ordered some and received them last week and . . . well . . was not very happy.  I wanted to love this ball but did not. 

First - the matte finish was a bit strange on a white ball and I'll be interested to hear what people think of it. 

Secondly, I didn't find it that soft.  It had a hard click off the irons and a bit of a dead feeling to it.  I played 9 holes w/ them, hitting Vice Pro's as well and ProV1's and TM TP5X . . . .and the Vice Pro Soft just didn't feel good. 

I was pretty disappointed and am returning most of the order.   Love the Vice Pro and had high hopes for the Pro Soft, but it just didn't do it for me. 

I'm going to try the DUO because I like a soft feeling ball. 

Kudos!

Chris

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked up a couple of dozen of the new Bridgestone E6 Soft balls today and will check em out tomorrow. They had a sale at Dick's 2 for $40.00. I had a $10.00 reward certificate so a dozen for me and a dozen for my wife.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Played the Wilson Duo a few years back but did not really enjoy playing with them, come 2017 and Srixon Q Star is an amazing soft ball, not as soft as the lower 50-60 compression balls, I think it's around 70's but the new Q Star's play great for my game.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Are we considering the Q-Star a soft compression ball?

Always thought those performed well. That was my winter ball for a long time. Now I just use the Snell MTB all the time because it's amazing.  :D

Driver:     TM M5 Tour, Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65X

Fairway:   Callaway XHot Pro 3Deep 14.5*, UST Proforce V2 Tour 86X tipped .5"

Utility:      Tour Issue Adams IDEA Pro Black 18*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105X  (snagged this from a rep off the van and I'll never take it out of the bag)

Irons:       Mizuno MP-H4 3I, DG X100         Mizuno MP-59 4-PW, DG X100

Wedges:   Mizuno MP-T4 50*, DG S400       Vokey Spin Milled 55*, 60*

Putter:     Custom Evnroll ER2 Heavy

Ball:        Snell MTB-X

Bag/Cart: Ogio Itza/Clicgear 3.0

(I'm a bit of a ho and have a large closet worth of various other gems)

I just bought a dozen of the bridgestone e6 softs and the wilson duo spin's. Looking forward to getting out next weekend and seeing which I like better. I did a head-to-head chromesoft versus MTB last weekend and I learned a few things about myself. 

1. Love the softball. I was smacking the CS all over the place and loved hitting it. The MTB just didn't feel as good to me. 

2. Urethane covers are not as important to me as I had thought (or maybe hoped). Because I miss so many greens, I wasnt needing the extra spin to hold the green very often (that being said I got some good spin on the few times I was hitting wedge from the fairway). Those instances are just too few and far between to be all that useful. 

3. The trifecta of beer, cigars and golf makes my day.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

My favorite soft ball is the Callaway Supersoft. in my experience i have found it to be practically indistinguishable from the Callaway Chrome Soft which is their tour quality ball. I was surprised to discover that the Supersoft is imported from China rather than being made at the old Top Flite plant.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found for balls is find what construction you like best, 2pc. 3pc, 4pc or 5pc and then try a different brands with in the construction that suites you best.

I've personally found for me I really like 3pcs ball construction and in those I've hit the Taylormade project A the best, compared to the Snell MTB and Callaway's chrome soft

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

I have tried a few "soft" balls. 

Wilson Duo, not bad, decent results, not enough spin to control.

Just bought some Duo Spin but haven't tried them yet.

Callaway Superhot 55. Like them, but no longer offered. Now it's Superhot 70.

Callaway SuperSoft Nice consistent ball.

Titleist TruSoft Like about the same as Callaway Supersoft.

Bridgestone e6. Not as soft as others, but overall feel and performance are #1 for me. They do want to go straight however and require a little effort for draw and fades.

Before I got older (now 67) was always a Titleist guy and still play Pro V1 in tournaments for maximum control and shot shaping (as best as I can anyway).

Bottom line for me, not an expert by any means, is the newer balls are all well manufactured and performance does not differ a whole lot for most of us average, mid to high handicap, golfers.

Arthur

Driver, Callaway Rogue
5W, Callaway Epic
7W, Honma TW747
Irons, 4 - A TM RocketBladez
Wedges, 54, 58 Callaway Mac Daddy 4
Putter, Odyssey O-Works Black 3

Ball Callaway ERC or Supersoft

I recently picked up 2 dozen Srixon Soft Feel balls from Walmart for $14.95 each.

I really like this ball, very nice feel, decent distance (for me anyway).  I normally like the Titleist Velocity but, at this cost I may be changing balls.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

it's one of those things, where do you really need the performance in the ball you're using? If the Pinnacle is only giving you say 10-15 yards more off the tee then the Callaway but the Callaway gives you the ability to hold your shots on the green, then to me it's a no brainer.

You can always use a bit longer club if you need that extra 10-20 yards but if you have to take an extra shot by chipping again around the green, then that will add a lot of strokes to your game.

If you want a good read on balls and why to use ones with the high spin for the greens you should read up on Dean Snell, (Snell golf balls)

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Played the Wilson Duo a few years back but did not really enjoy playing with them, come 2017 and Srixon Q Star is an amazing soft ball, not as soft as the lower 50-60 compression balls, I think it's around 70's but the new Q Star's play great for my game.

Played the new Q*Stars for a few holes yesterday. I found that I liked the feel off all the clubs. Didn't have as much greenside spin as a B330-RX but I liked the ball overall.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Wilson FG Tour is soft. Softer than a Pro V1. But not so soft you don't get feedback. I've only hit Cally Chrome soft once. And from what I remember it wasn't as soft as the Wilson. But that was a while ago.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bought a tester pack of the new Srixon Q-star tours and have been very impressed! I have really enjoyed the chrome soft (the truvis pattern even though I hate soccer) but I have found the q-star to be comparable in performance off of all clubs for me. The fact that I can save $10 is a bonus. 

As I mentioned, I have played the e6's and the duo spins as well. I just didn't enjoy them as much. Couldn't hold the green with either and the e6 definitely went firmer to me than the q-star or cs. I was getting a very high ball flight with the duo's, which I'm not the biggest fan of. I did enjoy the e6 off of the driver though, I definitely believe the hype as far as "straight distance" goes. 

And I know this may not be the performance of the ball, but I have had some great putting rounds using the q-star tour. When I played on the weekend I had 15 putts on the back 9, which I thought was excellent. I think the alignment aid is excellent and I just felt more confident with the way the ball came off the putter. I feel like it's always going in. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried a lot of versions of a "soft ball" and I always tend to come back to the titlest trusoft. Gives great feel on and off the green and off the tee. It's no pro v but for a hacker like me i can only tell the difference on a full wedge shot cause of the spin

Tried the volvik vivid this year. Color really pops and for a soft ball i really enjoy it. Seems pretty slow off the putter though

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie)taylormade rsi 1 7 iron through aw, vokey sm5 54 and vokey sm4 58 standard length and lie

b. Driver specs (loft/flex)taylormade m2 reg flex fujikura pro 70 shaft out of m1 3 wood

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed)right

d. Where You Live waterloo iowa

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score 15 hdcp

I play the Taylormade Project (a) and love them.  Low spin but great feel.  Keeps me in the fairway and confident around the greens. 

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

Archived