TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dead Head Driver

I was talking to a buddy yesterday about drivers. He suggested with some certainty that my driver face will go dead after about two years or so. Huh? He couldn't backup his claim. I haven't researched it either. Does anyone believe this? Is there any proof either way that this happens? Or...is this just a golf myth?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Absolutely the truth.  I've been telling the wife this for years...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

No research but, my Driver is a Ping G20, obviously over 2 years old, in fact, it's closer to 5+ years old and there's nothing wrong with it...won't stop me from buying a new one though.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

It depends on the driver probably but I know that some of them get hotter the more you hit them. Its very similar to softball and baseball bats that are composite. The thinner the wall of the barrel/face gets the hotter it gets. The hottest it will ever be is 1 swing before it breaks. Of course i'm sure this doesn't apply to all drivers but I know it does for at least some. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Ha! I'd been considering the same post. I played a round with someone who made the same claim. He hits every darn fairway, but said the driver had lost its liveliness and he no longer gets the distance he used to get.

I would think that it's possible - slight deformations of the club head over time I would think could lead to changes in performance.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I have had this conversation with my brother who is a graduate of the pgm program at OSU, and is now a club pro at a local course.  His response was that the shaft will wear out long before the clubhead will.  He used a spring analogy.  A spring stretched and compressed over time will lose tension, thus the flexibility will increase over time.  He did add that he comes across bent hosels quite often, and that could be considered wear I suppose.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

My current driver is now 11 years old. It still performs as good as the day it was made.

There is some evidence that some driver faces will indeed crack, distort or cave in as a result of long, hard and prolonged use, but when or if this happens is not a finite absolute in terms of time. For example, if you hit a steel ball bearing with a 120 mph swing speed, then there is a fair chance some damage will occur. On the other hand if you hit golf balls with moderate to normal swings, then the driver could last for a lifetime. The margins are indeed that wide if you believe in common sense rather than conjecture.

I call myth, but I doubt most of anyone on here has owned a driver for longer than a year to make such a claim (just kidding).

It depends on several factors.

1- The brand of the driver and how thin the face was to begin with. Good example Bang O Matic

2- The swing speed at impact of the person playing it. Older guys like myself with slow swing speeds there is no danger of over flexing the face. Now these younger guys yes.

I do have a Bang head I traded for a while back. Never could get it to hit right changed around about 6 different shafts. My friend who had his own shop at the time and is an accomplished player tried it with several shaft combos. He thought the head was 'dead" To confirm it we shafted it up for a well known local  Remax Long Drive guy and he played Bang for a while and he hit it 4 or 5 times and confirmed it

My first metal wood was a Founders 300 CC with an S-400 steel. I ended up cracking it on the sole along the rails after about an year. I was told that those paticular drivers were prone to that. The only other driver I ever cracked was about 9 years ago. It was an Adams I forgot what model I do know I had a UST Pro Force V-2 in it. I was actually playing a round with a Pro V and the crown cracked all the way across it. We were an Adams dealer (we still had the shop then) and Adams would not warranty it. We ended up pulling Adams products because of that.

I think in retrospect that the average player in general can not hit the ball hard enough or solid enough consistantly to take the spring out of an average pro line public offering club. But I may be wrong and I know there are freak things that happen 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• SPY VIP

I was talking to a buddy yesterday about drivers. He suggested with some certainty that my driver face will go dead after about two years or so. Huh? He couldn't backup his claim. I haven't researched it either. Does anyone believe this? Is there any proof either way that this happens? Or...is this just a golf myth?

Dead? I'm going to go with nonsense.

What is possible is that a driver *could* develop flat spots along the face's bulge and roll radii. I say *could* because although it's theoretically possible, with current materials along with improved design and manufacturing techniques, it shouldn't happen.

We chatted with the PING R&D guys about this briefly. They do a ridiculous amount of canon testing to ensure that not only will faces not break, but that'll they'll maintain their shape for the duration. 

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Sounds like a great sales technique

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth I've been on both ends of this issue. I have an Taylormade r7 425 driver I still pull out on occasion and then I had Taylormade burner that died after maybe a year and a half. I think that they typically last longer then 2 years, but once it stops working be it 2 or 10 years then that's when it's time to switch.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in agreement with jaskanski.

It would greatly depend on velocity of the club head mashing against the ball and then where the impact occurs.

If you are hitting say near the crown with a higher than average club head speed then failure is bound to happen.

however if you are hitting in the middle fairly consistently then it should be a very long time before anything noticeable happens to the club head.

and yes I would expect the shaft to fail first. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Ok so I have some proof. I have had 3 driver get set back to Titleist in a 3 year span and they were replaced for free under warranty because the Face went flat. I had a 910 and 2 913 heads for flat. And to blow the theory the shaft will go first out of the water all 3 heads were with the same shaft. A big factor in this obviously swing speed. The likely hood of someone under 100 mph flattening a driver is very slim. My speed is between 166-122 and it happens often for me. I usually wont use a driver longer then a year for this reason. Or once a new version comes out I replace the old one because usually they wont warranty and older model once they release a new one.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Ok so I have some proof. I have had 3 driver get set back to Titleist in a 3 year span and they were replaced for free under warranty because the Face went flat. I had a 910 and 2 913 heads for flat. And to blow the theory the shaft will go first out of the water all 3 heads were with the same shaft. A big factor in this obviously swing speed. The likely hood of someone under 100 mph flattening a driver is very slim. My speed is between 166-122 and it happens often for me. I usually wont use a driver longer then a year for this reason. Or once a new version comes out I replace the old one because usually they wont warranty and older model once they release a new one.

166? What's your ballspeed? ;)

I know you meant 116-122. Also I think going dead is different from caving in a face or cracking it. Baseball/softball bats are hottest right before they crack. I think drivers could be similar.

haha yeah i meant 116-122. They werent caving in or cracking the just lost some of the B&R.

Snell MTB-X

haha yeah i meant 116-122. They werent caving in or cracking the just lost some of the B&R.

To me that's the same thing bc the integrity of the club is altered. I do see what your getting at though.

the only was for it to go dead is for it to lose the B&R. as long as it maintains that it will continue to perform.

Snell MTB-X

Absolutely the truth.  I've been telling the wife this for years...

hahaha.....  I also get "don't they all do the same thing"  every time I get a new driver.  then she goes out and gets a new purse...... 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

hahaha.....  I also get "don't they all do the same thing"  every time I get a new driver.  then she goes out and gets a new purse...... 

We have been married for 23 years.  We have instituted a "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy with sports equipment/golf clubs and Gardening Tools/new shoes..  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• 4 years later...
On 3/31/2016 at 11:14 AM, PlaidJacket said:

I have got fitted for a Ping Max Driver 2021 , same shaft as I thought was the best shaft for me, but since my 4 year old Ping apeared to ave a slight crack in the face, we decided ai should upgrade.   It all worked well in the fitting station and it was flying well , but that was the head we used for fitting.  Then I take the same set up new  and it flys 20 yards less that the one I had used for the fitting ad it sounds dead.  In fact I still it the one with the slighly craked face much better with same shaft ?  Very confused .

I had my buddies was me make twenty swings and the new one had no pop to it.  Tried it several more times same result.  I like the clud and the shaft but somethiung is different ?  I think the head of have is faulty.  Is this possible ?  

I would go back to the fitter with the new club and compare it against the one you tested. If you purchased the club from the fitter he should swap the club head out for you if it is faulty. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

10 hours ago, Ping 440 max with a 65 said:

I have got fitted for a Ping Max Driver 2021 , same shaft as I thought was the best shaft for me, but since my 4 year old Ping apeared to ave a slight crack in the face, we decided ai should upgrade.   It all worked well in the fitting station and it was flying well , but that was the head we used for fitting.  Then I take the same set up new  and it flys 20 yards less that the one I had used for the fitting ad it sounds dead.  In fact I still it the one with the slighly craked face much better with same shaft ?  Very confused .

I had my buddies was me make twenty swings and the new one had no pop to it.  Tried it several more times same result.  I like the clud and the shaft but somethiung is different ?  I think the head of have is faulty.  Is this possible ?  

What are you measuring with on the course to determine how far it’s flying and to compare to what the distance was in the fitting? 

Are you comparing carry distance or total distance?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Could be a bad head; manufacturing processes aren’t perfect and have tolerances.  Go back to the fitter with both drivers and compare them side by side and explain what you are seeing on the course.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 11 months later...

I just went to a fit a few weeks ago looking to optimize a ping g410 that I have had for 3 years.  First several swings on the trackman with my driver and the ball speed and smash factor were very low.  Smash factor was 1.25-1.3.  I am hitting good well struck shots but the ball speed is low.  The fitter takes a look and gets a tool out to measure the bulge and roll and tells me I have a "Dead Head" driver and there is a flat spot on it.  He hands me a new ping G425 to hit and the ball speed and smash factor both jump to where they are expected to be.  Smash factor of the new driver was now 1.45-1.47 and the trackman shows 20-25 yards more carry.  Somehow my 3 year old driver is not performing like it should.  I have an average swing speed 97-101 and I figured I played about 500 rounds plus plenty of range time with that driver.

A "Dead Head" driver is a real thing.  I have one.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:51 PM, GolfIsGreat said:

I just went to a fit a few weeks ago looking to optimize a ping g410 that I have had for 3 years.  First several swings on the trackman with my driver and the ball speed and smash factor were very low.  Smash factor was 1.25-1.3.  I am hitting good well struck shots but the ball speed is low.  The fitter takes a look and gets a tool out to measure the bulge and roll and tells me I have a "Dead Head" driver and there is a flat spot on it.  He hands me a new ping G425 to hit and the ball speed and smash factor both jump to where they are expected to be.  Smash factor of the new driver was now 1.45-1.47 and the trackman shows 20-25 yards more carry.  Somehow my 3 year old driver is not performing like it should.  I have an average swing speed 97-101 and I figured I played about 500 rounds plus plenty of range time with that driver.

A "Dead Head" driver is a real thing.  I have one.

Still gaming it? Does it fly straighter? Note to self, avoid G425.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

175mph ball speed here with capacity to get to 180’s if I’m good and loose and swinging hard.

I’ve had the same Ping G400 LST for at least 3yrs now, hit many range balls, and it still can get me 180mph ball speed no problem.  No signs of going dead or cracking.

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

I personally nor anyone I've played with over 30+ years heard of such a thing, very strange thing to read. Weird....

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…