Dead Head Driver

hahaha.....  I also get "don't they all do the same thing"  every time I get a new driver.  then she goes out and gets a new purse...... 

We have been married for 23 years.  We have instituted a "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy with sports equipment/golf clubs and Gardening Tools/new shoes..  

• Like 1

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw Project X 6.0, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° Project X 6.0, std length 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Custom Anser/Evnroll ER1V/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

• 4 years later...
On 3/31/2016 at 11:14 AM, PlaidJacket said:

I was talking to a buddy yesterday about drivers. He suggested with some certainty that my driver face will go dead after about two years or so. Huh? He couldn't backup his claim. I haven't researched it either. Does anyone believe this? Is there any proof either way that this happens? Or...is this just a golf myth?

I have got fitted for a Ping Max Driver 2021 , same shaft as I thought was the best shaft for me, but since my 4 year old Ping apeared to ave a slight crack in the face, we decided ai should upgrade.   It all worked well in the fitting station and it was flying well , but that was the head we used for fitting.  Then I take the same set up new  and it flys 20 yards less that the one I had used for the fitting ad it sounds dead.  In fact I still it the one with the slighly craked face much better with same shaft ?  Very confused .

I had my buddies was me make twenty swings and the new one had no pop to it.  Tried it several more times same result.  I like the clud and the shaft but somethiung is different ?  I think the head of have is faulty.  Is this possible ?  

I would go back to the fitter with the new club and compare it against the one you tested. If you purchased the club from the fitter he should swap the club head out for you if it is faulty. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

10 hours ago, Ping 440 max with a 65 said:

I have got fitted for a Ping Max Driver 2021 , same shaft as I thought was the best shaft for me, but since my 4 year old Ping apeared to ave a slight crack in the face, we decided ai should upgrade.   It all worked well in the fitting station and it was flying well , but that was the head we used for fitting.  Then I take the same set up new  and it flys 20 yards less that the one I had used for the fitting ad it sounds dead.  In fact I still it the one with the slighly craked face much better with same shaft ?  Very confused .

I had my buddies was me make twenty swings and the new one had no pop to it.  Tried it several more times same result.  I like the clud and the shaft but somethiung is different ?  I think the head of have is faulty.  Is this possible ?  

What are you measuring with on the course to determine how far it’s flying and to compare to what the distance was in the fitting? 

Are you comparing carry distance or total distance?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Could be a bad head; manufacturing processes aren’t perfect and have tolerances.  Go back to the fitter with both drivers and compare them side by side and explain what you are seeing on the course.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 11 months later...

I just went to a fit a few weeks ago looking to optimize a ping g410 that I have had for 3 years.  First several swings on the trackman with my driver and the ball speed and smash factor were very low.  Smash factor was 1.25-1.3.  I am hitting good well struck shots but the ball speed is low.  The fitter takes a look and gets a tool out to measure the bulge and roll and tells me I have a "Dead Head" driver and there is a flat spot on it.  He hands me a new ping G425 to hit and the ball speed and smash factor both jump to where they are expected to be.  Smash factor of the new driver was now 1.45-1.47 and the trackman shows 20-25 yards more carry.  Somehow my 3 year old driver is not performing like it should.  I have an average swing speed 97-101 and I figured I played about 500 rounds plus plenty of range time with that driver.

A "Dead Head" driver is a real thing.  I have one.

• Hmmm 1

On 4/11/2022 at 12:51 PM, GolfIsGreat said:

I just went to a fit a few weeks ago looking to optimize a ping g410 that I have had for 3 years.  First several swings on the trackman with my driver and the ball speed and smash factor were very low.  Smash factor was 1.25-1.3.  I am hitting good well struck shots but the ball speed is low.  The fitter takes a look and gets a tool out to measure the bulge and roll and tells me I have a "Dead Head" driver and there is a flat spot on it.  He hands me a new ping G425 to hit and the ball speed and smash factor both jump to where they are expected to be.  Smash factor of the new driver was now 1.45-1.47 and the trackman shows 20-25 yards more carry.  Somehow my 3 year old driver is not performing like it should.  I have an average swing speed 97-101 and I figured I played about 500 rounds plus plenty of range time with that driver.

A "Dead Head" driver is a real thing.  I have one.

Still gaming it? Does it fly straighter? Note to self, avoid G425.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

175mph ball speed here with capacity to get to 180’s if I’m good and loose and swinging hard.

I’ve had the same Ping G400 LST for at least 3yrs now, hit many range balls, and it still can get me 180mph ball speed no problem.  No signs of going dead or cracking.

• Like 1

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G400 LST 8.5* (BROKEN!!) with HZRDUS SMOKE 6.5 70g 

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1