Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Jmikecpa's WITBs

My tendency is to go too weak. Baseball thing maybe? I was a knuckles aligned guy back in the day.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I would like to attribute mine to baseball but I play golf right handed and hit from the left side. Not to mention I spent my last 10 years on the mound and most of my ABs came in slow pitch softball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teach me your ways!! My wife sees that I have two drivers and urges me to get rid of the one you don't use...

Nice sticks btw!

I have an understanding wife that knows I am a lunatic for golf gear. And thank you.

WITB 2024

I would like to attribute mine to baseball but I play golf right handed and hit from the left side. Not to mention I spent my last 10 years on the mound and most of my ABs came in slow pitch softball.

Well your grip should still translate. I hit right and play golf right but swing it well lefty as well(coed softball). My grip is almost the same from both side of the plate. I think that bleeds over to golf for me despite and interlock grip. Who really knows though.

Btw I was primarily a pitcher my last few years as well.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Wow, that is quite a collection you got there. I hope to have one day a collection as great as yours.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Well your grip should still translate. I hit right and play golf right but swing it well lefty as well(coed softball). My grip is almost the same from both side of the plate. I think that bleeds over to golf for me despite and interlock grip. Who really knows though.

Btw I was primarily a pitcher my last few years as well.

One of the guys I play some tournaments with played in the Mets organization and he can rip it, but has the absolute flattest golf swing I have ever seen. If he takes some lessons and gets a bit more upright he would be scratch in a season at most. He is a 9 now with his swing and has a hit or miss short game.

WITB 2024

Wow, that is quite a collection you got there. I hope to have one day a collection as great as yours.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

Thanks.

WITB 2024

One of the guys I play some tournaments with played in the Mets organization and he can rip it, but has the absolute flattest golf swing I have ever seen. If he takes some lessons and gets a bit more upright he would be scratch in a season at most. He is a 9 now with his swing and has a hit or miss short game.

Sounds like a former teammate I play with a lot. Except he's hard headed and won't listen. Guy could be scratch if he wanted. When he started he was a 10 handi within 6 months of picking it up. Now, 4 years later he's prolly a 5 or so.

I actually was/am too upright. Or at least that my tendency. I've been working on that though.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Mike I am going to play the Devil's advocate here if I may and maybe give you another picture

I knew a guy down here in his early 60s that was retired. Now he had a flat swing he was a former professional baseball player mostly played in the minor leagues and made it to the big show one time. He swung flat as crap but could really pound the driver especially for his age. Heck he was in great physical shape for a man in is early 60s did not smoke or drink either. Now he tried lessons from several instructors and just could not get it upright. Someone sent him to me when we had the shop because they know my way of thinking. His driver I forgot what brand it was it was as flat as heck for some reason and this was before the adjusters. I did a range session with him and then put him on the lie board. I ended up bending his irons 4* flatter than they were and ordered him a Wishon fairway head and had Tom bend it to his specs at the factory. Man he improved tremendously in the next year or so. Got down to 5 or so from the senior tees. Ended up building him a Alpha driver and by then they had came out with adjustable bushings so it was a no brainer set up. I have not seen him in a while because he moved to Florida and took some coaching position within the Marlin's organization.

Basically I am saying you can sometimes make equipment adjustments to compensate in his case it worked because he was IMHO a great athelete and had great hand eye coordination and that was his natural swing which I am a big proponent of. It may not work for everyone but it worked for him

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Stu, could not agree more if the fundamentals are there. My buddies big issue is consistency. He will always have a flat swing which is fine (Hank Haney now owes me $5). When I say more upright it is not in the traditional sense just a bit more for him because he gains consistency when he can do it and repeat it. I also believe in do what is natural. I took that approach and became a half decent player and doing the same with my son. Heck just watch the guys on the Champions Tour and you will see some swings that nobody would teach but they work well for the player using them.

WITB 2024

Stu, could not agree more if the fundamentals are there. My buddies big issue is consistency. He will always have a flat swing which is fine (Hank Haney now owes me $5). When I say more upright it is not in the traditional sense just a bit more for him because he gains consistency when he can do it and repeat it. I also believe in do what is natural. I took that approach and became a half decent player and doing the same with my son. Heck just watch the guys on the Champions Tour and you will see some swings that nobody would teach but they work well for the player using them.

Oh yeah absolutely on the Champion's Tour. I remember Frank Nobilo quoting one time on Allen Doyle and I think it was Jim Thorpe. "If you saw those 2 swings on your muni you would be apt to take those two guys on and promptly loose your money"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Oh yeah absolutely on the Champion's Tour. I remember Frank Nobilo quoting one time on Allen Doyle and I think it was Jim Thorpe. "If you saw those 2 swings on your muni you would be apt to take those two guys on and promptly loose your money"

I played a round of golf with Ed Dougherty when we opened my club in Delaware after a redesign.  Eddie is an interesting guy and hit shots were just as repeatable with every club as anyone I have ever seen.  Every shot is a lower ball flight with a slight cut.  Two things I noticed about him was number one when asked what shaft he had in his hybrid his answer was a yellow one.  All he knew was Ping built him five of them and this was the one he liked.  Second, was that he was play old Eye2 BeCus that looked like they were 20 years old.  The entire club had a nice patina except the sweet spot which had a dime sized rind that was bright copper.  I played well and shot even par, while he said that he shot a ho hum 63.  

WITB 2024

Made a few changes, but nothing drastic.  The rough at my club has thinned out a bit so I went back to my Callaway wedges as they just fit better than the Hogan TK 15s.  Also need a high lofted wedge around the greens and this setup allows for the 64* PM Grind.  Second was the driver.  I love my 915D3 and when I have the strength it fits me well, but the issue is that I don't have that strength every round or most days for an entire round.  I went with a 915D2 that has an Oban Kiyoshi Black 05 in it and it actually forces me to not try and overpower it which saves me for the rest of the round.

WITB 2024

Made a few changes, but nothing drastic.  The rough at my club has thinned out a bit so I went back to my Callaway wedges as they just fit better than the Hogan TK 15s.  Also need a high lofted wedge around the greens and this setup allows for the 64* PM Grind.  Second was the driver.  I love my 915D3 and when I have the strength it fits me well, but the issue is that I don't have that strength every round or most days for an entire round.  I went with a 915D2 that has an Oban Kiyoshi Black 05 in it and it actually forces me to not try and overpower it which saves me for the rest of the round.

I was considering the PM grind ... did you ever get used to that big giant toe?  I just couldn't stick with it...

Looks like you moved on to the Hogans from the Apex irons.... I have the Apex pros and love 'em.  Do you feel like you have more workability with the Hogans?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I was considering the PM grind ... did you ever get used to that big giant toe?  I just couldn't stick with it...

Looks like you moved on to the Hogans from the Apex irons.... I have the Apex pros and love 'em.  Do you feel like you have more workability with the Hogans?

I have the PM grind in the 58* and 64*.  Toe does not bother me since I grew up playing Ping Eye 2s and Ping Zings.  Like the 64* a heck of a lot more than the 58* since it just seems to want to sit open.  Mind you I don't hit full shots with it and really only use it in bunkers or to get myself up and down around the greens.

I only played the Apex Pro's for a short bit when I was not sure I could even get the Hogans airborne.  Was just giving another type of club a go and really like the Apex pros but my course is rather windy and 15mph is a light day.  I can control the ball flight a lot better with the Hogans and they fly a heck of a lot lower for me than the Apex Pros.  The fact that they are shafted with Recoil 110 graphite shafts it helps save my elbow a lot during the season which is just another reason that I went back to them. I use the Apex set as my travel bag when I play golf that requires checking clubs on a flight.

WITB 2024

• 4 weeks later...

For the most part I have stuck to my plan.  Only changes that I have made are moving to a 915D2 9.5* (set at 8.75*) with an Oban Kiyoshi Black 05.  The D3 was too much to handle for me just getting back to full speed and after 5 weeks me and the D2 are getting along just fine. 

I also added a Hogan VKTR 19* hybrid which was more of a product of how much I liked the rest of the Hogan gear in my bag.  So far it is solid and I like the feel and flight of the club.  Moved on from the TK wedges and went back to the MD3s (52* & 58*) and MD2 Tour grind (60* bent to 62*).  The wedge change was more of a function of needing a high lofted wedge at my club for bunker play and around the greens. 

Of note I am still using the same putter going on the better part of two months which has to be some kind of record for me.

WITB 2024

As mentioned in a post of mine, I would like to visit this basement  ;)

Nice collection though.  I saw a SC Detour in that putter collection, I almost bought one used at Golf Galaxy.  It felt great but I couldn't get past that peninsula sticking out the back  :lol:

As mentioned in a post of mine, I would like to visit this basement  ;)

Nice collection though.  I saw a SC Detour in that putter collection, I almost bought one used at Golf Galaxy.  It felt great but I couldn't get past that peninsula sticking out the back  :lol:

Puts a nice roll on the ball and is a great aid to get the stroke back to where it needs to be.  It will never win a beauty contest though.

WITB 2024

As a new member I'm just now seeing this thread, but enjoyed reading through it and love ALL your setups.  But I have to say the current one is pretty sick!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

As a new member I'm just now seeing this thread, but enjoyed reading through it and love ALL your setups.  But I have to say the current one is pretty sick!!

Thanks.

WITB 2024

I agree, the Detour had a very true roll when I was toying with the purchase. That GSS insert felt like butter to me, even if the screws were loose.

How do you like the 915D? I have the 913D3 shafted with a 60X B Series and love it.  But with the 917 out on tour, I may try to pick up a 915 head next season.

I agree, the Detour had a very true roll when I was toying with the purchase. That GSS insert felt like butter to me, even if the screws were loose.

How do you like the 915D? I have the 913D3 shafted with a 60X B Series and love it.  But with the 917 out on tour, I may try to pick up a 915 head next season.

I'll be joining you in getting the 915D on the cheap! It's one of the nicest drivers I've come across, just a bit too pricey!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

I think pretty much everyone on this website is usually a model year or so behind!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

So Mike, what are you going to do with the Hogan wedges?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I like them a lot.  I actually have the D2 and the D3 and prefer the D2 right now.  The head is very lively and as long as anything I have hit in the last few years.

WITB 2024

So Mike, what are you going to do with the Hogan wedges?

Thinking about ordering a 52* so I can play 52*, 58* and 62* in the Hogan TK.  The only reason they are out is I need a high lofted wedge at my club for bunker play and around the greens.

WITB 2024

Good to know, thank you. I've read reviews on the 915 and watched comparisons between the 913 and 915, all of them sound very promising.

I was drawn to Titleist because of the traditional shape and look. I've had the 909D3, 910D2 and D3, and now my current 913D3; all of them seemed to feel hotter than the last.

I will admit, I will miss the racing stripes on the 913  :lol:

• 2 months later...

So for the end of the season and some golf trips made a few changes. Added a Cally 816 DBD that came with a Aldila Rogue but really liking it better with the AD DI. Cally 3 wood and hybrid, an Apex UT 24*, Cally Apex Pros and Cally Wedges. Giving an Odyssey Lucky 777 a go this weekend but will be back to my Scotty I am sure. Just made too many putts this year with the Newport Dual Balance.

WITB 2024

• 2 months later...

2017 bag is set and my goal is not to change much this year.

Driver: Titleist 915 D4 Diamana D+ 70x. Was not thrilled with the head when I got it but after some time and the right shaft it is exactly what I had hoped it would be.

Fairway: 915fd 15* (set a D1) Diamana Blueboard 83x. I have a love hate relationship with this club and it has been in and out of the bag since I bought it. If there is a change it will be here but I think it is more operator error than anything else.

Hybrid: 915h 21* Diamana D+ 102x. Just seems to work and very consistent.

Irons: Titleist TMB 4-PW TDDG AMT S300. These are interesting and have been on my radar since they were released. After two range sessions I am impressed but still have some work to do with them.

Wedges: Vokey SM6 Steel Grey 52* F grind and 58* (K grind). Hope these are as good as I have heard.

Vokey SM5 62* T Grind. Picked it up new in clearance for $59 and can't imagine the SM6 wedges are $100 better.

Putter: My old standby is back in the bag. Scotty Newport 2 Dual Balance at 35".

My goal for the year is to work more on my game and less on buying clubs. Last year was tough since I spent three weeks middle of the season hurt and another 4 after that trying to get back into golf shape.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Glad to see another Titleist guy here! Your bag is pretty much a newer version of mine (712MB's, SM4's, and Cameron putters) I even have a similar gap setup in my wedges!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Archived