TESTERS WANTED! ×

Scotty's new putting tool...

RookieBlue7

So after seeing the new Scotty putting tool and saying "hey, I could make that easily", and knowing the price of metal, I decided to make one. It took me exactly 22 minutes, and that included figuring each piece and the drill locations and everything on the fly. I watched Scotty's video on it and guessed at his measurements based off of the putterhead's size in relation to the tools. The concept is great, but I can't justify spending the money he wanted ($44 and limited to 100) (now they're going for at least $100 on ebay, one is over 225 last I checked). So, being as I do plenty of metal work at work, I decided to build my own. This is the first one I built and I don't have a mill at home to mill the lines (which I will have when I go back to work on Friday and think, time permitting, I'll build another one).

Regardless, here it is.

Scotty's Tool: post-11286-12766264488354.jpg

My DIY one that I have less than $1 invested in.

DSC02069.jpg

DSC02067.jpg

DSC02066.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

DSC02064.jpg

I wanted to see how long it'd take with this one. I could easily clean it up some, but elected not to for time constraints(this is the metal as I bought it. It was already scratched up and everything, I just cut it and went. I could smooth the scratches out if I felt like it, but since it was on the end of the piece of angle, I just left them. They're not distracting when using the tool). The time posted above includes stamping and paintfilling. So it's relatively easy to cut down on the time even more. I also used pinstriping tape to do the lines for now. It worked great and will last a long time anyway, and is relatively easy and quick to apply. I have a feeling, now that I have all my measurements down, I could build these in 15 minutes a set. If I have to set a mill up at work for it, maybe 20 minutes. Oh, and the I in my username I stamped on there got a little deep on me, course I hit it 2 extra whacks with the hammer because I lost count.

I'm not knocking Scotty at all for selling this. It works great, and he knew he could sell them, especially if they're limited. He's a genius at selling pretty much anything with his name on it, so I can't say I'd do it any different if I were him. I also don't blame the people that purchased them directly from him. They knew 2 things, they could try them out and if they didn't like them sell them and not lose a dime. They also knew with them being limited to 100 they'd make a mint on them (evidenced already on ebay). The only ones I laugh at are the ones paying the overinflated prices for them.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Kudos for making one on your own...with a little clean-up and maybe some bead blasting this would be legit! How about a MyGolfSpy version :(

#TruthDigest

Kudos for making one on your own...with a little clean-up and maybe some bead blasting this would be legit! How about a MyGolfSpy version :(

Yeah, I don't have a bead blaster at home, and I really didn't want to go sanding this one down by hand because aluminum is easy to fudge a spot in when hand sanding. I thought about doing a few out of steel and either torching them or cold bluing. I have access to a beadblaster at work though. I didn't do any clean up on it because that's the way the metal stock was when I got it.

I'll see what I can whip up when I go back to work and give you a shout. I should be able to bust one out even quicker at work because we have much larger tools there as well as tools it's just not cost effective to own at home. But for a top 5 power generation plant, it's easily affordable to own one. I'll try to bust a few out there, and hopefully have time to do a few with milled lines instead of this method.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Scotty's tool is cool, yours is awesome! Although, when I want to do putting drills like the ones those tools are made for, I just use two tees....

I do too, but I wanted to see if I could make one of these. And, one good thing about this tool is that you don't have to get tees just right, you simply sit a putter down and set this up and cram a few tees through the holes and you're set. It's easy to set up and take down and you don't have to set up enough tees for this to be effective this way. It gives you an inch and a quarter before and after impact, which is the important zone for the putter to be square in.

In The Bag

• SPY VIP

Maybe we could have you make our own version and have you make some for us to include in the MGS Gear we are working on.

#TruthDigest

Maybe we could have you make our own version and have you make some for us to include in the MGS Gear we are working on.

I could I suppose. I'd like to check and see if Scotty has a patent on this particular design and see how I might need to alter it so as not to infringe. I could always get the MGS logo made into a handstamp from a vendor I work with occasionally and stamp the MGS logo onto them.

My next project, whenever the metal comes in, are Damascus steel divot tools. I've ordered some metal and am just waiting on it to come in to start trying to make that creation.

In The Bag

I would love to use one of those!!!! RB7, i loved your gold SC... As long as you don't make money off of these things you are fine right? :(

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Um - you can buy those in any DIY store surely? They are just angles for supporting shelves? Probably a quid a piece?

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

MGS, check your facebook messages... Need a little info on these. Oh, and I got a new set almost finished tonight. Only have to paintfill and they're done (had only 5 minutes to work on them). I cut them, tapped them and beadblasted them at work today. Stamped when I got home and now need to paintfill them. They're for a junior golfer.

In The Bag

Why not use a couple tees, that way you won't damage your putter.

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

Wouldn't the putter get dinged if you miss?

Why not use a couple tees, that way you won't damage your putter.

Then I guess you will make an extra effort not to ding up your putter then huh? Making it even more effective...

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Wouldn't the putter get dinged if you miss?

If you're swinging it that hard, your technique is way off. JAT.

You could always take strips of velcro or something and "line" the insides. Course you could always say "hey, it's my gamer and it's going to get dinged up anyway." Ever seen Tiger's gamer? It's beat to DEATH.

In The Bag

Any Pics of tigers putter being dinged up?

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

I would like to see the dings too. That putter always looks very clean and unmarred in the close up shots on TV.

I am going to build one of these out of masking tape and tongue depressors. Maybe cardboard and duct tape.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Any Pics of tigers putter being dinged up?

These are from last season. It might have teeth marks and an impression or two from a certain Cadillac on it this year:

tigerputter5.jpg

tigerputter4.jpg

tigerputter3.jpg

tigerputter2.jpg

tigerputter1.jpg

The putter has been sent back to the Cameron Spa 2 times already. Don T. Cameron (Scotty) makes him 2-4 every year as back-ups and they never make the bag. Old habits are hard to break I suppose. The face is pretty bad, but I can't find the pic of it right now.

In The Bag

I love how Nike pays him a fortune but when it comes down to the last putt of the tournament and they do a close up of the putt from behind everyone see "Titleist" and not Nike, how much do you think they've thrown at him to change.

Ah simple is always the best, looks easy enough to make. I do wonder why the design is so short though, if it were longer it might force a more straighter stroke, or am I missing something?

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

• SPY VIP

Ah simple is always the best, looks easy enough to make. I do wonder why the design is so short though, if it were longer it might force a more straighter stroke, or am I missing something?

Maybe this accommodates an arc or sbst stroke. Too long and you are only going to clear the gates with a SBST.

Volvo Intorqueo

Thanks for the tips on these, looks like I will be reviving my high school metal shop skills this week.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• SPY VIP

I am going to swing by the plastic manufacturing place on the way home (Tap Plastics). Hoping I can get a foot or so of 2" on a side 90*. I'll post pictures if successful...

Volvo Intorqueo

I am going to swing by the plastic manufacturing place on the way home (Tap Plastics). Hoping I can get a foot or so of 2" on a side 90*. I'll post pictures if successful...

You should be able to pick that up at Lowe's or Home Depot as well. 90* angle plastic is used a lot for home construction and drywall.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• SPY VIP

You should be able to pick that up at Lowe's or Home Depot as well. 90* angle plastic is used a lot for home construction and drywall.

Thanks for the suggestion. Nothing like a little DIY project in the 104* heat.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived