• SPY VIP

So finally got to the DIY

1 corner guard plastic piece ($7.95)

1 roll yellow tape ($3.95)

4 yellow tees

Drill

hack saw

sandpaper

Cut the plastic into 6" (or so) pieces with the saw. Removed rough edges with the sandpaper.

Marked and drilled the holes for the tees to hold them down.

Was going to paint the top edge yellow with a paint pen, but I really don't want paint to get on my putter.

Saw the roll of yellow tape and it worked perfectly.

Took it to the practice green and I think that if I keep using it, it will really help me to groove in a consistent, squared putting stroke.

YMMV, but for a small investment, it seems worth a try...

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

6 inches is too long. Science has shown that there is a section of 2 inches before and after impact where the putter head is moving in a straight path. These should be 4 inches long.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

6 inches is too long. Science has shown that there is a section of 2 inches before and after impact where the putter head is moving in a straight path. These should be 4 inches long.

OK

IS this for a SBST stroke with a face balanced mallet too or arc stroking blade?

Where is the "science" article? I'd like to read these things before my next DIY goes awry. :P

Volvo Intorqueo

• 2 weeks later...

OK

IS this for a SBST stroke with a face balanced mallet too or arc stroking blade?

Where is the "science" article? I'd like to read these things before my next DIY goes awry. :D

That's what Scotty says his researchers came up with. I'm sure there's an article that goes with it, but it probably costs $200 from his shop for the Circle T research. You can use it with any putting stroke, because at the end of the day, no matter what kind of stroke you use, you still have that section of your stroke that's straight. You can't draw or fade a putter. It'll roll end over end no matter what type of stroke you use, gravity, grain, and contours are the only thing that'll effect it rolling end over end, not the stroke.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 month later...

What the heck tried making a set of my own and it works great. $200 bills on ebay what a joke, I bought $5 bux worth of channel and there's enough to make 4 sets...

1283048734008337900.jpg

<b>The Bag</b>

- Wilson Staff Di7 Irons 3-PW

- Cleveland 54° Wedge

- Nike Slingshot 2 Hybrid

- Cleveland HiBore XLS 10.5°

- Nike SQ 3 Wood

- John Byron 1999 Special Putter

- Ogio Grom Bag

- Nike PD Soft Ball

• SPY VIP

Hey Sactown, where did you get the materials for yours?

TAP Plastics here in town. Home Depot probably has the same stuff. It was sold as a corner guard for interior walls.

Volvo Intorqueo

I could I suppose. I'd like to check and see if Scotty has a patent on this particular design and see how I might need to alter it so as not to infringe. I could always get the MGS logo made into a handstamp from a vendor I work with occasionally and stamp the MGS logo onto them.

My next project, whenever the metal comes in, are Damascus steel divot tools. I've ordered some metal and am just waiting on it to come in to start trying to make that creation.

First off RB7, you do some incredible work- this and the headcover blow me away. I can't wait to see the divot tool!

Second, that's what you can do when you put a name on something... gouge people. Most people (myself included) don't have that kind of skill; they know that, as well. Where a "no name" company could sell one for $20-$30, SC sells it for $44 because it says Cameron, so it has to be better.

I need to add that I'm also eager to see what your putter tool looks like with an MGS logo on it. Geezus, the MGS Store sounds like it has the potential to have a ton of kick-@ss stuff!

So finally got to the DIY...

Took it to the practice green and I think that if I keep using it, it will really help me to groove in a consistent, squared putting stroke.

YMMV, but for a small investment, it seems worth a try...

Yours looks good, too... why not offer both at the MGS Store (how can we get the MGS logo on that?)? That way, everyone has choices based on pricepoint, personal preferences, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

First off RB7, you do some incredible work- this and the headcover blow me away. I can't wait to see the divot tool!

Second, that's what you can do when you put a name on something... gouge people. Most people (myself included) don't have that kind of skill; they know that, as well. Where a "no name" company could sell one for $20-$30, SC sells it for $44 because it says Cameron, so it has to be better.

I need to add that I'm also eager to see what your putter tool looks like with an MGS logo on it. Geezus, the MGS Store sounds like it has the potential to have a ton of kick-@ss stuff!

In a size that'd be feasible and you'd be able to tell what it is, the stamp is likely out of reach. The price from the vendor for it in 1/4 inch is something you wouldn't want to see (I've tried 2 other vendors as well, and they're higher). And, since I had surgery, I hadn't really thought much about these lately. Was perusing and came across this post. I suppose I could get a local vinyl company to cut some out for me that would adhere to them, but it wouldn't be stamped and wouldn't have the touch I'd like to add to them to make them MGS worthy. I also (since reading this and remembering about it) have to try and tweak the design to keep from infringing on Scotty's design. How, I don't know. And I have to wait until they get the mill running again at work (burned out a wire where a fuse is inline and are waiting on a part to come in) so I can mill the alignment lines into these. Lots of things that need done. (Also why I can't get the divot tools finished either, mill being down). I've tried to do the divot tools with a big band saw we have and a drill press that has 2 axis movement, but it has to be locked in for the chuck to turn. So it's really just for moving where you want to be able to drill at.

In The Bag

Archived