TESTERS WANTED! ×

Forgive me if this has been done before....but curious what you all use and why?  Pros and Cons of both as you see them?

I have been using a Garmin G5 for the last couple years and really like it, but have been toying w/ the idea of a rangefinder.

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

It's never a bad idea to rehash a good discussion. 

I have both a Rangefinder, and a wristop GPS. Bushnell Tour  V2 and a Garmin Fenix 3 Sapphire. They are both excellent at what they are designed to do, and working together, provide me with the picture that I need to make the correct decisions on the course. If I had to choose only one, I would select the Laser, because knowing the number to the flag is pretty important. I can generally tell if the flag is front/center/back and make club selections accordingly. Also, I play the same courses all the time, so I am very familiar with the carries over hazards from my preferred tees.

since you already own the G5, I would pick up a less expensive Laser, as they are invaluable on the driving range, and for shots 100 yards and in where the distance to the target really matters.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

thanks for the info.......not really crazy about the idea of dropping $300+ on a bushnell/leupold......any recommendations on cheaper options that still get the job done?  Don't need tons of bells and whistles, just want to shoot the flag and random targets (front of green, bunkers, trees, etc..)

Yes Judge. Take a look at the MG Golf M400 laser. Many of us around here have it. Very affordable and good.

I use both a Skycaddie  GPS and my M400 laser. More so my Skycaddie. Mine has a lot of unused bells/whistles but I rely on the Front, Middle, Back numbers only. The Front number is the most important one to me. I use my Laser when I'm needing to know distances - carries for bunkers, hazards, etc.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

GolfBuddy LR 5 is pretty stellar @199.99 right now.. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'd say you're done -

Here's the recap from your clerk, judge.

1.  Both would be best.

2.  If you only have one the laser is the better choice (to the pin accuracy, helpful on the range and you can always shoot intermediate targets yourself)

2.  Since you have a GPS already pick up an inexpensive but decent laser and you're good to go.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Amen Brother!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have a GolfBuddy Tour that I got several years ago.  I use it every day on a course I know pretty well now.  I like Front-Middle-Back numbers, but mostly front and back; got to get on but not go long. The flags are coded red, yellow, and blue so I mostly pick a yardage halfway between front and middle for a red flag and halfway between middle and back for a blue flag.  My wife got me a Bushnell V3 for Christmas two years ago, and she likes to use it for par 3's.  So, we have both and I like both for what they are.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have a laser, last season it was the Leupold GX3i that i got off ebay for real cheap and now the bushnell Tour X that I reviewed last year. I like being able to just shoot the targets i want. Im really excited to see how the slope feature on the Tour X will help my game.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Laser is great for straight courses without trees. Big key is you hit the flag and never have to guess if the pin is in front back or middle. Downside is that it can be tough to hit a bunker or something similar. GPS is great for hazards in my opinion while the laser is perfect for hitting hte flag and getting the shot home.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

thanks for all the help

I carry a Garmin G6 on my hip and use the MGGolf M400 Laser when needed......Both provide excellent data.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I use both a gps (bushnell neo) and rangefinder (Nikon coolshot)

I look at the front and back numbers of the green, for minimum and maximum distance and then the pin for under 130 and in, im an ok golfer and then I have some wiggle room instead of an exact number

What's in my bag?

Driver:   :taylormade-small: 2016 M1 - 9.5 w/ Fujikura Pro(S)

3 Wood:  TEE E8 - 15* w/ fujikura Pro (S)

Hybrid:   :adams-small: Super XTD- 17* w/ Fujikura Pro (s)

Hybrid:   :adams-small: Red- 21* w/ Matrix Altus Pro (s)

Irons:    :taylormade-small: Speedblades - 4-P w/ KBS 90 (S)

Wedges:   :cleveland-small:   CBX RTX  - 52, w/ DG (W)

Wedges:   :cleveland-small:   Smart Sole  - 58, w/ DG (W)

Putter: Heavy Putter-  A3m -Golf Pride Tour SNSR midsize pistol

Ball(s) :wilson_staff_small: Duospin

I use both. Most of the time its the Busnell Neo Ghost, if I'm not familiar with the course I bust out the Tour-X.  

My game is mostly middle of the green, two putt, par.  (unless the pin is exposed, then its dart throwing)

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 1 month later...

I had 3 SkyCaddies before I saw the light of 30,000 pre-loaded courses. I got tired of guessing which 20 courses to download on the Sky Caddies. They started out only allowing 10 courses for download. I finally got a Garmin S1. So convenient to just glance at my wrist! And any course in the world, practically, already loaded. All I need is front, back and middle yardsges, but occasionally want yardage to hazards. So I just ordered the S4, on sale.

I also have a Leupold G-1, but only use it on the range, where it's great. On the course, if I want a precise distance to something, but it takes longer.

#GPS #watch

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the laser for a few reasons...

1. It doesn't require you to upload courses or pay yearly fees.
  2. You can shoot hazards or objects next to hazards to get an ideal distance for your desired landing area.
  3. You don't have to worry about updates if a course changes.
  4. If the parent company decides to quit supporting it (Callaway uPro), you aren't stuck buying a new device.
  5. Battery life is much longer for the laser, I always carry and extra one just in case, but you usually only have to change it out once per season.

The one thing that I really like about GPS units are that they give you an overhead view of the hole before you play it, this can be incredibly useful if it is the first time you're playing a course. I have owned both and I would have to say that the laser is the better option.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd: TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM8 54° and 58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Update: 

I picked up a used rangefinder for a great deal, just played 1 round with it, but really like it.  No reason I can't carry both at this point, but from under 150, I like knowing the exact yardage to the pin

• 4 months later...

I've always been a fan of the laser rangefinder because I can hit anything on the course to get a yardage.  What is missing is course layout but if you can get a yardage book or if you have the hole layout on the scorecard then that's usually all I really need.

• 3 months later...

Hello , ( Newbie Spy here)  Apologies if this is a topic that been beaten like a dead horse, But....

Not sure if anyone is still  following this thread, but i need some advice on buying a good range finder That has slope included.  There is a local course i play that's  located where any phone AP/ GPS do not pick up a signal.   Do i plunk down the cash for A bushnell V4?  Any & all advice is greatly appreciated!

#FSG   

:nike-small: =  Driver, covert 2.0

:taylormade-small:  = Irons , Rocketbladez

:taylormade-small:  = 4 Hybrid , Aero burner

:taylormade-small:  = Wedges , ATV

:taylormade-small:  = Putter , White Smoke 72

:taylormade-small:  = Balls, Project a

Hello , ( Newbie Spy here) Apologies if this is a topic that been beaten like a dead horse, But....

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but i need some advice on buying a good range finder That has slope included. There is a local course i play that's located where any phone AP/ GPS do not pick up a signal. Do i plunk down the cash for A bushnell V4? Any & all advice is greatly appreciated!

First of all welcome to MGS!

I am one of the testers for the V4 range finder and it is a good option for you to look at. I don't have the slope version however you can hop in the review thread to read about the results there. Personally I prefer the Bushnell neo gs watch over the RF although I have found out that the V4 is a piece of cake to operate. When I'm back at my laptop, I'll add the link to our V4 reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18211-official-forum-member-review-bushnell-tour-v4-laser-rangfinder/?p=250239

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

like ole gray said....there is a thread in the review section on the v4, definitely check it out

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks for the links  Judge & gray !!  great reviews! I'm foaming at the mouth for a "V4"  :o

#FSG   

:nike-small: =  Driver, covert 2.0

:taylormade-small:  = Irons , Rocketbladez

:taylormade-small:  = 4 Hybrid , Aero burner

:taylormade-small:  = Wedges , ATV

:taylormade-small:  = Putter , White Smoke 72

:taylormade-small:  = Balls, Project a

I use both the rangefinder and a gps. The latter is the yamatrack for our Club. This enables me to know where I want to place the shot and the club to use. One I have a clear view of the pin I'll use the rangefinder.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 months later...
MGS 2017 LASER RANGEFINDER BUYER'S GUIDE

In looking at the chart from the buyer's guide, how would you purchase a rangefinder if you were looking at speed, accuracy, and optics.  In what order of importance would you consider buying a rangefinder?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I received a range finder for Christmas in 2015.

I love it, made me change how I approach a round.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I use both.  I have a GPS watch strapped to my bag for quick front/middle/back yardages, and I have my Laser when I want the exact yardage to the pin.  It is good to know how much green I have to work with on either side of the pin.  The laser is also great for distances to dog legs, bunkers, trees, etc.

I also use my laser a lot at the range to calibrate distances to different flags/targets

Archived