Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

There are valid arguments for both. I use a free GPS app on my phone. I'm a decent low mid capper..... maybe just slightly a single digit.... maybe. Front, middle, back of green is good enough for me. I will say that I would like to know distances to certain objects at times, which the laser would give.

Last year I used a wrist GPS both the Garmin X40 and the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band. I was very happy with both.

This year I added a Range Finder PP NX7 Pro to the mix. Mostly for use on the range to learn my actual distances. But also on course for wedge work while trying to improve my distance control.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Forgive me if this has been done before....but curious what you all use and why?  Pros and Cons of both as you see them?

I have been using a Garmin G5 for the last couple years and really like it, but have been toying w/ the idea of a rangefinder.

WHY would you want to switch to a laser rangefinder?  Do you doubt your GPS yardages? 

I find lasers to take too long, and I dislike that they don't give me yardages on the blind tee shot, to the end of the fairway, to the bunker/carry the bunker, front middle back of the green.  I hate using laser.  (And I hate playing with a guy using a laser).

My SkyCaddie tells me not only how far it is to the corner of the dogleg, but it tells me how far my APPROACH will be from there...before I even hit my drive.  It tells me all three numbers (F/M/B) on the green, plus the shape and depth of the green, and it does so -instantly-, not after I 'shoot' ten targets.  On the tee, I know how far it is to the bunker, how far it is to CARRY the bunker, and what I am going to leave myself into the green.  On a blind tee shot, it tells me how far it is to reach the downslope, and alerts me to any hazards on the hole.  Instantly.  On a dogleg, I know how far it is to get past the corner, and how far I can hit it without going thru the fairway.  Instantly.  And it gives me the precise layout of the hole, as well as a recommended shot ("185 yards leaves 100 yard approach", etc).

The laser MAY be more precise (sometimes), but a good GPS system gives you much more useful information, and it does so a lot faster.

Titleist 913D3 with Diamana S+ (Blue) in Regular Flex

Titleist 913F 4w with Diamana S+ (Reg)

Ping i20 17* & 20* with Project X Black 5.5

Bridgestone J40 Forged with DG R300 (2* Upright & +1.0")

Callaway Mack Daddy 2:  50, 54 & 58 degree (2* upright & +0.50")

Ping Scottsdale PickEmUp: center shaft, 33"

I'd say you're done -

Here's the recap from your clerk, judge.

1.  Both would be best.

2.  If you only have one the laser is the better choice (to the pin accuracy, helpful on the range and you can always shoot intermediate targets yourself)

2.  Since you have a GPS already pick up an inexpensive but decent laser and you're good to go.

My SkyCaddie (SG5) has distance to the targets on the Driving Range at nearly every course I have ever played.  They are professionally mapped at the same time the course is.

My thoughts embedded below....with ALL due respect.  We all have our own subjective opinions, etc.

I prefer the laser for a few reasons...

It doesn't require you to upload courses or pay yearly fees.

*My SkyCaddie SG5 cost me $79 five years ago and the annual subscription ends up costing me less than $1 a round.  Easy choice for me.  Rangefinders start at $300, and you have to do all the work.

You can shoot hazards or objects next to hazards to get an ideal distance for your desired landing area.

*SkyCaddie gives you yardage to each and every hazard instantly.  No looking for an object to shoot to.  Uphill, downhill, blind, dogleg.  All targets.  Instantly.

You don't have to worry about updates if a course changes.

*Updates are free, and professionally-mapped regularly, but most courses don't change very often at all, so I don't really even worry about this part. 

If the parent company decides to quit supporting it (Callaway uPro), you aren't stuck buying a new device.

*Sucks that Callaway did that to you guys.  SkyGolf has been around for almost 20 years, and is the #1 Rangefinder in Golf.  I don't think they are going anywhere.

Battery life is much longer for the laser, I always carry and extra one just in case, but you usually only have to change it out once per season.

*My SG5 lasts a little over 3 full rounds before I have to plug it in and charge it for a couple of hours.  It is a lot lighter and more durable than a laser, fits in my pocket and I can toss it on the ground or to my buddy without worry.

The one thing that I really like about GPS units are that they give you an overhead view of the hole before you play it, this can be incredibly useful if it is the first time you're playing a course. I have owned both and I would have to say that the laser is the better option.

*I still don't get the appeal of a heavy, slow, expensive laser rangefinder.  I get instant info, with multiple targets, in a lightweight, rugged device that is easy to use right out of the box. I don't have to stand still and find something to 'shoot' in my target area, hoping I am not getting a tree branch behind the green instead of the flagstick, etc.  I do a three-year national course subscription, so I can use it all over the USA, and it keeps track of my score, my stats (fairways, GIR, putts), gives me an (unofficial) handicap, AND tells me how far I hit every club.  The most I ever had to pay for a one-year membership was $29.95 , which means if you play once a week....well, you see what I mean.

Just bought a Garmin Approach G8.

Have used it for two rounds now and I really like it. A few of my playing buddies use a laser but I think a GPS works better for beginners like myself since it helps me get an overview of the hole and better plan out my shots. 

I've used both, Golf Pad GPS for the phone and the Bushnell Tour V3 Slope Edition, I really like the exact yardage from the rangefinder, the GPS is great as well, but to get the entire support from the app I have to pay $10 a year, which is nothing really, the rangefinder is way more accurate than the GPS, not bad 2-3 yards on the norm...so I prefer the Bushnell.

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

Just bought a Garmin Approach G8.

Have used it for two rounds now and I really like it. A few of my playing buddies use a laser but I think a GPS works better for beginners like myself since it helps me get an overview of the hole and better plan out my shots.

Yeah, it's nice to see the general layout on a GPS. I prefer to use both when playing.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I used to have nothing but a skycaddie and it was fine. I can't think of a time when I said to myself "I wish I had a laser instead".

Then on a whim I bought a bushnell because it was deeply discounted and I was on the cusp of having to renew my skycaddie membership again.

I haven't renewed my skycaddie and the bushnell has been fine.

My opinions follow.

Laser upside.

You get exactly the distance to what you are shooting.

The battery lasts a long time.

You don't have to try and figure out what part of the green the flag is in.(doesn't matter as much now that I play courses that tell you pin positions)

Most of the newer models seem to be reasonably fast at giving you your measurement.

Laser downside.

The further you are from the flag the harder it can be to get a lock on the target.(this also can be an issue if you aren't very steady handed)

Shooting things like bunkers, water, etc... can be a challenge depending on how they present to you.(hard to shoot the bank of the close side of a water hazard/bunker).

You have to pick up the laser and actually use it every time you need a measurement. Sounds silly, but it adds up over the course of a round.

False readings happen to me more than I thought, sometimes it's obvious, but I've had times when I got a measurement that I didn't think seemed right only to re shoot it again and find out I had actually hit an object behind the flag that was 10 or 15 yards longer but still within what I thought might be reasonable distance.

GPS upside.

It's always updating and sitting there ready for you to look at it. You don't have to grab it or "use" it in order to get a distance which adds up to quicker readings.

Gives you measurements to close side of hazards with little issue no matter how they are oriented to you.

Some can give you a bird's eye view of a hole so you can develop a strategy to play it from the start.

Is accurate enough for probably everyone but people who make a living at golf.

You can get them in different form factors.(handheld, watch, clip, etc)

GPS downside.

Battery life doesn't even compare to laser. You will either be using re chargeable batteries or recharging the built in battery often.

Some require subscriptions to continue to have access to course updates.

Distance to the pin can sometimes be a challenge if you can't tell exactly where the pin is on the green.

If you have to reboot or change batteries during a round it can be several minutes before they are ready to show distance again.

If you decide to play a new course on a whim and you have a model you have to load courses onto you won't be using it for that round.

Those are the basics of what I've found with the two devices.

Since I acquired the laser I haven't looked at another GPS even though I use GPS on my phone with GolfPad regularly for viewing a hole from top down or distances to hazards.

I just was notified that I will be able to test the new SkyCaddie system to I am happy I will have access to GPS information again.

If I could only have one and not both I would probably go with GPS as having the exact yardage to the pin is nice but not necessary to me since 5 yards is good enough for my game.

I also dislike having to grab the laser every time and line it up and shoot it. Especially since I usually end up being the distance checker in almost every group I'm in these days. GPS is just easier and I'm lazy.

Hope this helps.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Archived