Hello , ( Newbie Spy here) Apologies if this is a topic that been beaten like a dead horse, But....

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but i need some advice on buying a good range finder That has slope included. There is a local course i play that's located where any phone AP/ GPS do not pick up a signal. Do i plunk down the cash for A bushnell V4? Any & all advice is greatly appreciated!

First of all welcome to MGS!

I am one of the testers for the V4 range finder and it is a good option for you to look at. I don't have the slope version however you can hop in the review thread to read about the results there. Personally I prefer the Bushnell neo gs watch over the RF although I have found out that the V4 is a piece of cake to operate. When I'm back at my laptop, I'll add the link to our V4 reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18211-official-forum-member-review-bushnell-tour-v4-laser-rangfinder/?p=250239

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes Judge. Take a look at the MG Golf M400 laser. Many of us around here have it. Very affordable and good. I use both a Skycaddie  GPS and my M400 laser. More so my Skycaddie. Mine has a lot of unus

I use both.  I have a GPS watch strapped to my bag for quick front/middle/back yardages, and I have my Laser when I want the exact yardage to the pin.  It is good to know how much green I have to work

It's never a bad idea to rehash a good discussion.    I have both a Rangefinder, and a wristop GPS. Bushnell Tour  V2 and a Garmin Fenix 3 Sapphire. They are both excellent at what they are designed

like ole gray said....there is a thread in the review section on the v4, definitely check it out

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :mizuno-small:M Craft Type V

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

• Like 2

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :mizuno-small:M Craft Type V

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

Thanks for the links  Judge & gray !!  great reviews! I'm foaming at the mouth for a "V4"  :o

#FSG   

:nike-small: =  Driver, covert 2.0

:taylormade-small:  = Irons , Rocketbladez

:taylormade-small:  = 4 Hybrid , Aero burner

:taylormade-small:  = Wedges , ATV

:taylormade-small:  = Putter , White Smoke 72

:taylormade-small:  = Balls, Project a

I use both the rangefinder and a gps. The latter is the yamatrack for our Club. This enables me to know where I want to place the shot and the club to use. One I have a clear view of the pin I'll use the rangefinder.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 months later...
MGS 2017 LASER RANGEFINDER BUYER'S GUIDE

In looking at the chart from the buyer's guide, how would you purchase a rangefinder if you were looking at speed, accuracy, and optics.  In what order of importance would you consider buying a rangefinder?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I received a range finder for Christmas in 2015.

I love it, made me change how I approach a round.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  Driver G425 Max 9*
:ping-small:   3 wood G425 Max

:callaway-small: Maverik Irons 4i to AW  Recoil r flex
 :taylormade-small: MG2 black 50 54 58 Recoil Smacwrap r                              

:taylormade-small: FCG #7 

:taylormade-small: TP5x 2021

I use both.  I have a GPS watch strapped to my bag for quick front/middle/back yardages, and I have my Laser when I want the exact yardage to the pin.  It is good to know how much green I have to work with on either side of the pin.  The laser is also great for distances to dog legs, bunkers, trees, etc.

I also use my laser a lot at the range to calibrate distances to different flags/targets

• Like 3

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER1v
:titelist-small: ProV1

There are valid arguments for both. I use a free GPS app on my phone. I'm a decent low mid capper..... maybe just slightly a single digit.... maybe. Front, middle, back of green is good enough for me. I will say that I would like to know distances to certain objects at times, which the laser would give.

Last year I used a wrist GPS both the Garmin X40 and the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band. I was very happy with both.

This year I added a Range Finder PP NX7 Pro to the mix. Mostly for use on the range to learn my actual distances. But also on course for wedge work while trying to improve my distance control.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Forgive me if this has been done before....but curious what you all use and why?  Pros and Cons of both as you see them?

I have been using a Garmin G5 for the last couple years and really like it, but have been toying w/ the idea of a rangefinder.

WHY would you want to switch to a laser rangefinder?  Do you doubt your GPS yardages? 

I find lasers to take too long, and I dislike that they don't give me yardages on the blind tee shot, to the end of the fairway, to the bunker/carry the bunker, front middle back of the green.  I hate using laser.  (And I hate playing with a guy using a laser).

My SkyCaddie tells me not only how far it is to the corner of the dogleg, but it tells me how far my APPROACH will be from there...before I even hit my drive.  It tells me all three numbers (F/M/B) on the green, plus the shape and depth of the green, and it does so -instantly-, not after I 'shoot' ten targets.  On the tee, I know how far it is to the bunker, how far it is to CARRY the bunker, and what I am going to leave myself into the green.  On a blind tee shot, it tells me how far it is to reach the downslope, and alerts me to any hazards on the hole.  Instantly.  On a dogleg, I know how far it is to get past the corner, and how far I can hit it without going thru the fairway.  Instantly.  And it gives me the precise layout of the hole, as well as a recommended shot ("185 yards leaves 100 yard approach", etc).

The laser MAY be more precise (sometimes), but a good GPS system gives you much more useful information, and it does so a lot faster.

Titleist 913D3 with Diamana S+ (Blue) in Regular Flex

Titleist 913F 4w with Diamana S+ (Reg)

Ping i20 17* & 20* with Project X Black 5.5

Bridgestone J40 Forged with DG R300 (2* Upright & +1.0")

Callaway Mack Daddy 2:  50, 54 & 58 degree (2* upright & +0.50")

Ping Scottsdale PickEmUp: center shaft, 33"

I'd say you're done -

Here's the recap from your clerk, judge.

1.  Both would be best.

2.  If you only have one the laser is the better choice (to the pin accuracy, helpful on the range and you can always shoot intermediate targets yourself)

2.  Since you have a GPS already pick up an inexpensive but decent laser and you're good to go.

My SkyCaddie (SG5) has distance to the targets on the Driving Range at nearly every course I have ever played.  They are professionally mapped at the same time the course is.

My thoughts embedded below....with ALL due respect.  We all have our own subjective opinions, etc.

I prefer the laser for a few reasons...

It doesn't require you to upload courses or pay yearly fees.

*My SkyCaddie SG5 cost me $79 five years ago and the annual subscription ends up costing me less than $1 a round.  Easy choice for me.  Rangefinders start at $300, and you have to do all the work.

You can shoot hazards or objects next to hazards to get an ideal distance for your desired landing area.

*SkyCaddie gives you yardage to each and every hazard instantly.  No looking for an object to shoot to.  Uphill, downhill, blind, dogleg.  All targets.  Instantly.

You don't have to worry about updates if a course changes.

*Updates are free, and professionally-mapped regularly, but most courses don't change very often at all, so I don't really even worry about this part. 

If the parent company decides to quit supporting it (Callaway uPro), you aren't stuck buying a new device.

*Sucks that Callaway did that to you guys.  SkyGolf has been around for almost 20 years, and is the #1 Rangefinder in Golf.  I don't think they are going anywhere.

Battery life is much longer for the laser, I always carry and extra one just in case, but you usually only have to change it out once per season.

*My SG5 lasts a little over 3 full rounds before I have to plug it in and charge it for a couple of hours.  It is a lot lighter and more durable than a laser, fits in my pocket and I can toss it on the ground or to my buddy without worry.

The one thing that I really like about GPS units are that they give you an overhead view of the hole before you play it, this can be incredibly useful if it is the first time you're playing a course. I have owned both and I would have to say that the laser is the better option.

*I still don't get the appeal of a heavy, slow, expensive laser rangefinder.  I get instant info, with multiple targets, in a lightweight, rugged device that is easy to use right out of the box. I don't have to stand still and find something to 'shoot' in my target area, hoping I am not getting a tree branch behind the green instead of the flagstick, etc.  I do a three-year national course subscription, so I can use it all over the USA, and it keeps track of my score, my stats (fairways, GIR, putts), gives me an (unofficial) handicap, AND tells me how far I hit every club.  The most I ever had to pay for a one-year membership was $29.95 , which means if you play once a week....well, you see what I mean.

Just bought a Garmin Approach G8.

Have used it for two rounds now and I really like it. A few of my playing buddies use a laser but I think a GPS works better for beginners like myself since it helps me get an overview of the hole and better plan out my shots. 

• Like 1

I've used both, Golf Pad GPS for the phone and the Bushnell Tour V3 Slope Edition, I really like the exact yardage from the rangefinder, the GPS is great as well, but to get the entire support from the app I have to pay $10 a year, which is nothing really, the rangefinder is way more accurate than the GPS, not bad 2-3 yards on the norm...so I prefer the Bushnell.

• Like 1

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

Just bought a Garmin Approach G8.

Have used it for two rounds now and I really like it. A few of my playing buddies use a laser but I think a GPS works better for beginners like myself since it helps me get an overview of the hole and better plan out my shots.

Yeah, it's nice to see the general layout on a GPS. I prefer to use both when playing.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star