TESTERS WANTED! ×

Nicklaus on the ball

revkev

I'm surprised no one else has jumped on this.  I love Jack but that wouldn't mean that I take everything he says as Gospel truth.  He recently commented about rolling back the ball.  Of course he's been talking about that for a long time,  in fact well before the advent of the Pro VI.

So here's my question:  Is it really so broke?  Do the tours really need to tweak rules by rolling the ball back? 

Other sports tweak their rules all the time.  The NFL needs fewer Field Goals?  No problem, move the goal posts back and the has marks in.  Not enough offense still don't allow the D backs to touch the receiver.  In baseball they lowered the mound, lowered the strike zone and brought in the DH.  Basketball added the three point line, the zone defense, stopped allowing a defender to touch an opponents back.

Does golf really need a rules tweak?  I enjoyed watching golf in the 60's and 70's but I enjoy it now too - It's different but lets face it you aren't seeing guys work the ball on TV so it's not as noticeable there.  It seems that guys with differing strengths are still able to win each week - Jordan Spieth isn't the longest but he's doing okay, neither is Zach Johnson - they are long by our standards but not by the guys at the top.

I certainly don't want anyone rolling the distance the ball travels on me - it's all I can do to reach par 4's in regulation right now and still be challenged on an enjoyable course.  It seems that the game is plenty difficult at our level.

How about you guys?  Do you think the ball needs to be tweaked on tour?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

NO.  I say let 'em shoot in the 50's.  If they don't want them to shoot in the 50's, then set up the courses differently.  They do it for the US Open; do it for the other courses, but why keep changing or limiting equipment just because the pros get better and better.  It just makes the game harder for the rest of us.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I my honest opinion - no.

The beauty of this game is that we can all use the same equipment as the pros and play the same courses as the pros and given we play to our handicaps or better, score like the pros.

Once you start to introduce a handicapping system to not only players, but also to the equipment they may or may not use, it starts to open up a can of worms of epic proportions.

Jack has said on a number of times that the ball needs to be looked at, but he must also have a short memory of when he was blasting it further than every one else on tour at the time of his peak. 

Today, quite a lot has changed within the game - equipment is lighter, longer and stronger, players are leaner and more athletic and courses are more groomed and manicured.

That is essentially a recipe for greater ball distance - not because of the humble ball, which lest we forget is already limited by strict guidelines of size, weight and initial velocity.

I think perhaps that something must be looked at pro level where course designs are created to appeal to TV audiences rather than player affection. Give the pros a little bit of rough and narrower fairways with undulating greens and all of a sudden you don't find wedge approach shots that land next to the pin. 

At amateur and weekend player level, I've yet to see anyone complain about the ball being too long, courses too short and Jack Nicklaus encouraging a different ball so that we can keep up with him. He has certainly been living in a different world to most of us.

Basically, the ball is better today because of it's durability, but don't tell me it spins any better than a balata or is any longer than any equivalent ball from that era either, because the historic data says it just ain't so. 

Ray Floyd's scoring record around Augusta in 1976 took some time to beat (21 years to be exact) but both players used bladed irons and steel shafted woods. Fast forward to 2007 and the winning score was over par with a ProV1 ball, cavity backed irons and a graphite shafted max CoR 460cc wood. 

Your point is Jack?

The biggest difference was that amount of roll the ball was allowed to go. A rather damp Masters in 2007 put paid to any distance gains usually achieved on it's super-slick fairways. Do the same thing to any other course and historically the same thing shows up. It's a course thing - not a ball thing.

One thing is for certain though, "Tiger-proofing" courses by adding length only really benefits who? That's right - the ones who can hit it a long way all the time anyway. Bifurcating the ball to make it shorter would have the same effect - the gorillas still have the upper hand. It makes no sense. But making the courses more enjoyable for all (and not "obsolete") makes perfect sense. 

I say the same thing to Mr. Nicklaus that I would say to any guy.  

Don't touch my balls!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Funny, the PGA wants everyone to "tee it forward" and Jack wants to roll the ball back.  I think golfs governing body will have the upper hand with this argument. 

If they did in fact reduce the performance of the golf ball, imagine the hoarding of the current balls.  Ebay would be loaded with $200.00 boxes of pre-ban pro v's lol.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I agree the ball travels further. Thanks goodness!

I'm of the school that the courses need to be setup differently. Harder for the pros. I'm pretty sure I recall Nicklaus saying he'd like to see bunkers "corn-rowed". Which I believe he does at the Memorial. There are many things a superintendent can do to either speed up or slow down a course. I think they could hair-up the fairways a tad too. Narrow the fairways, plant some trees or other vegetation in areas forcing players to carry or work certain shots. Stemp-out the greens like Augusta on all tour stops. Get creative. I'd love to see players hitting 3-4-5 irons once in a while. You know.... like us amateurs do each weekend.

I enjoy watching pro golf and wish I could play like them. But watching them hit driver - wedge all day gets little boring at times.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The problem, as I commented on earlier is lazy course design. If you only have to consider the difficulties top players face, you can make a course extremely long with narrow fairways, tucked pins, bunkers, and high rough. These negatively impacts the average golfer more than a pro because they hit it high and far and can escape trouble easier.

Older courses in Britain are as the announcers of the Women's Open Championship stated, bogey easy and birdie tough. If Jack put more thought in his course designs, golf could be accessible to average golfers AND tour pros without having to push 8000 yards or change equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I thought the ball was innocent and the clubs are the culprit in all the distance problems?

With the same club, hit today's balls vs balls from the 90's, how much distance would you say it increased?

Any articles showing this?

I'm in the group of its not my poor lil ball but the juiced up sticks behind the distance gains.

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I've played Jack's courses. Jack and I are not on speaking terms.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Statistically half the distance gain is the ball and half the club's. You can look it up. its well documented. Reagardless the course is the course and weather or mother nature or God. You pick it, play a role in how the course plays. The USGA has no trouble providing a test where even is a good score. I don't mind seeing 20 under win either. I love Jack but as some have said his memory is selective. I don't care if you are between 6\7 or 8/9 on 12 at Augusta, it's still a tough shot.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Funny, the PGA wants everyone to "tee it forward" and Jack wants to roll the ball back.  I think golfs governing body will have the upper hand with this argument. 

If they did in fact reduce the performance of the golf ball, imagine the hoarding of the current balls.  Ebay would be loaded with $200.00 boxes of pre-ban pro v's lol.

If they did "roll back" the ball the manufacturers would not make any money off the new balls for the reasons you stated in an indirect way. Just think how many billions of balls to today's specs are out there already and how many lost ones yet to be found. Heck if they did that I would never buy new balls again.

Jack has been clammoring for about 10 years now to "roll back" the ball. Remember he has a golf ball company and I have yet to find one or see one of the Golden Bear brand balls in person. I am a Nicklaus fan but the older he gets the more he seems to babble senselesly .

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I thought the ball was innocent and the clubs are the culprit in all the distance problems?

With the same club, hit today's balls vs balls from the 90's, how much distance would you say it increased?

Any articles showing this?

I'm in the group of its not my poor lil ball but the juiced up sticks behind the distance gains.

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Honestly it is a combination of both clubs and balls. You take today's modern irons they are a combination of jacked lofts and trampoline type carpenter steel faces. The balls are another story all together. You have new type cores and covers and the aerodynamics are different.

I can give you a little perspective. My front line set is 1980 Vintage Macgregor blades with traditional lofts. I also play strictly vintage golf with other vintage blades (1962 or 1948 Macs) and persimmon woods. Now with my persimmon driver I can hit a modern ball (Srixon Soft Feel) about 220 230 on average. Now hitting that ball with my modern 915 D-2 I average around 250 260. Not bad for a 58 year old fat man. 30 yards difference because of equipment. My irons are about average most guys my age are about a club and a half longer but then again jacked lofts. Most modern PWs are about a club stronger than my blades. Some jacked loft TMs the PW is about the same as my blade 8 iron. So yeah it is a combination of both

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Just because athletes started playing golf we need to dial the equipment back? To me that doesn't make sense. It would be like getting rid of the 3pt line because Steph Curry makes too many of them.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

What's wrong with pros shooting in the 50's and overpowering courses because they are athletes and well-trained?  I like birdies; I'd probably like eagles too if I made one.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Funny id memory suits me correct was the ball Jack makes one of rhe longest. If you're going to say it show by example.

And like many you will have a fight you touch my balls😳

Richard father of 7 and ex army enlisted then officer. Love outdoors 

• SPY VIP

Just because athletes started playing golf we need to dial the equipment back? To me that doesn't make sense. It would be like getting rid of the 3pt line because Steph Curry makes too many of them.

I think the conversation is a bit more nuanced than that - If the 3 pt. shot is impacting the game more than they'd like, maybe they move it back - But more than anything, golf seems to be the game most resistant to rule changes - Pretty much every other major sport has adapted rules to massage the final product. Can you imagine Dan Marino in today's NFL? He might throw for 60+ TD's...and without Wilt, there's no lane and no 3 seconds...Want less violence in the NFL, then legislate it out. Want more scoring? Allow defensive players no contact after 5 yards...

Point is, golf is pretty much a cluster when it comes to rules - It'd be a heck of a lot easier if they were okay with bifurcation, but since they're not, the USGA/RA are in this nasty habit of changing rules based on what pros do/how pros play and because we all have to play by the same rules, the other 99.9% of the world is generally worse off - 

And I love the argument that one of set of rules is what allows us all to play the same game.....There's simply way toooooo many differences between recreational golf and tournament golf for me to believe I'm playing the same game as Jordan Speith...

It's odd every other sport plays with a universal ball for all teams, golf is different in that regard, really it's the only one where you intentionally try to gain in an advantage by tweaking equipment or ball. Golf courses don't have a set of rules- fairway width, length of par 3,4,5. Every basketball court and football field does.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

More chipping please.

I would say the course change that needs to happen for pros is making the greens smaller. That will lead to more short game play which I find the most exciting, imaginative/creative part of the game. I love watching pros hit to within a foot or flub it into the bunker.

Aside from putts, which can be rather boring at times, a chip is the only shot were you can see the entire shot from contact to where the ball rests. They are the best part of the golf TV experience imho. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I've got a question - when Jordan Speith or Ricky Fowler are claiming in their commercials that they're hitting Titleist Pro-V's, am I supposed to believe they're playing the same box of balls we're buying at Golf Galaxy? Or are the manufactures producing golf balls for each individual player and juicing them up a bit? I mean these pros are fitted for every single aspect of their game. From their clubs, to the weight of their shoes, the weight of each shaft, ect... Why wouldn't their golf balls be tweaked to fit their specific needs... Whether it be for more distance or spin.

I believe the pros are hitting a totally different "Pro-V1" then the ones were buying at the store. They are balls that aren't put on the market because they're expensive to produce but allow the professionals to hit it further and make us amateurs want to buy more.

Does anyone agree or am I just crazy?

If I'm not crazy then those are the balls I think the Golden Bear's talking about.

You are indeed crazy.

Every pro must use the same ball submittted to the RB's and be on the same conforming list as the ball you or anyone else can buy on the highstreet.

There have been several well documented instances where some pros have put prototypes or balls with even the incorrect number or lettering written on them (I'm not kidding) and have been duly disqualified.

It's the same ball for everyone - and it should remain so.

Thanks for clearing up my misconception, jaskanski. Also, I am a little crazy - I just can't help that one lol.

I just always thought manufactures would set the pros up with a "prototype ball" that was a little juiced up and then never went to market with it. I'm glad to know I was wrong.

Have a good one!

Johnny there are balls on the approved list that OEMs formulate for a player or two but they are in no way juiced. The ball or club must be conforming. If anything it's more likely that the ball will fly a tad shorter but spins more or has some other attribute that would be lost on us.

Other sports definitely tweek rules all the time and they more than bifurcate. In fact baseball has different rules in each of its leagues for crying out loud. I fully agree that the USGA needs to not be so concerned about the game's top players. Let the tours handle that business. The ball is not the problem. The fact that golf takes too long and is hard to play is the problem.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Make the fairways narrower closer to the green, make pulling driver more risk and reward.

Make the second cut a real punishment close to the green, some weeks it is - others not so much.

For me this weeks event on the tour shows how interesting it can be when it's not all driver and wedge.

For those of us who played Balatas it's a pleasure now to play a ball that goes somewhere and doesn't fall apart after 2 holes! But, I used to enjoy the control pros got with those balls - although I know much of that was also groove technology. Hell even I could spin the old Balatas.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Make the fairways narrower closer to the green, make pulling driver more risk and reward.

Make the second cut a real punishment close to the green, some weeks it is - others not so much.

For me this weeks event on the tour shows how interesting it can be when it's not all driver and wedge.

For those of us who played Balatas it's a pleasure now to play a ball that goes somewhere and doesn't fall apart after 2 holes! But, I used to enjoy the control pros got with those balls - although I know much of that was also groove technology. Hell even I could spin the old Balatas.

Oh man the memories of the old balata balls. If you did not cut one it would go out of round after 4 or 5 holes. I still have my old roundness gauge somewhere. Believe it or not I still have some old balata balls in good shape and play them from time to time on a local par 3 course for kicks and giggles. Believe it or not sometimes I find balata balls down here during the height of the snowbird season. I found a darn near new old Titleist 90 Professional balata a few weeks ago. They have not made that ball in 25 years or so. 

Now as most on here know I still play vintage equipment some in fact my front line set of irons is considered antique by most standards but when I play strictly vintage I play even older stuff. For me I have found out that the newer Srixon Soft feels or the discontinued Bridgestone Treo Softs play almost like balata not quite but close

G

Gotta say, I don't think golf is broken by equipment improvements, but I do think there's something to be said for the old days.  Like you said, other pro sports tweak rules to improve the spectators' experience.  Why not golf?  

More importantly, it is NOT unprecedented to have pros play with different equipment than amateurs.  Imagine Bryce Harper with an aluminum bat??

Here's my idea:  have a PGA event (ok, maybe an exhibition with PGA players) and have them all play a 1980's (or pick your decade) spec ball.  One step further, have them all play the SAME 80's spec ball with the SAME equipment!

Anyway, wouldn't it be cool if the courses on tour didn't have to keep building new tee boxes??  I mean, what's the difference on tv between a 250 yd drive and a 330 yd drive?

Taylor Made M3 driver

Callaway Rogue 3+ fairway

Srixon 565 4, 6-A

Titleist H1 4 and 6 hybrids

Vokey 54 and 58

Thanks Revkev - It's good to know that golf is truly a professional sport compared to others and the USGA holds the integrity of the game when it comes to the rules. And I agree with you 100% on slow play. It's one of the biggest and most painful issues right now. I played 18 holes yesterday at a public course outside of Chicago and it turned into a 6 hour round. It was a 75 degree day without a cloud in the sky but that's no excuse for the slow play. When you play that slow it ruins the entire day and your round. I can't even explain how mad I was yesterday.

It also allowed for 2 extra hours in the sun and now my face looks like a tomato.

It's all about the money.  It's the same as NASCAR; different equipment but they all have to meet the same specs.  The idea is that the driver makes the difference and wins, just like the tournament winner.  If everyone played the same ball and clubs, there would be few sponsorships and little money, a lot of which goes to charities.

While I think it would be cool to watch an event like that, I don't think the pros would like it at all. Look how long it took Rory to change over to Nike.  Pros are very particular about their equipment.  Courses and the PGA can throttle back distances by how they set their courses up. Look at how the USGA sets up their events.  At certain events they choose to make it easy because spectators love big drives and lots of birdies; again, makes money.  

The difference on tv between a 250 yard drive and a 330 yard drive?  That would be Luke Donald hitting a 7i and Jason Day hitting a lob wedge for their approach.  I know which one I would like to hit.

I am not on speaking terms with Jack either...oh you meant the golfer?

I also don't get along with that Jack.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Archived