Nicklaus on the ball

Our Sponsors

You are indeed crazy.

Every pro must use the same ball submittted to the RB's and be on the same conforming list as the ball you or anyone else can buy on the highstreet.

There have been several well documented instances where some pros have put prototypes or balls with even the incorrect number or lettering written on them (I'm not kidding) and have been duly disqualified.

It's the same ball for everyone - and it should remain so.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I my honest opinion - no. The beauty of this game is that we can all use the same equipment as the pros and play the same courses as the pros and given we play to our handicaps or better, score like

I say the same thing to Mr. Nicklaus that I would say to any guy.     Don't touch my balls!

I agree the ball travels further. Thanks goodness! I'm of the school that the courses need to be setup differently. Harder for the pros. I'm pretty sure I recall Nicklaus saying he'd like to see bunk

Thanks for clearing up my misconception, jaskanski. Also, I am a little crazy - I just can't help that one lol.

I just always thought manufactures would set the pros up with a "prototype ball" that was a little juiced up and then never went to market with it. I'm glad to know I was wrong.

Have a good one!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Johnny there are balls on the approved list that OEMs formulate for a player or two but they are in no way juiced. The ball or club must be conforming. If anything it's more likely that the ball will fly a tad shorter but spins more or has some other attribute that would be lost on us.

Other sports definitely tweek rules all the time and they more than bifurcate. In fact baseball has different rules in each of its leagues for crying out loud. I fully agree that the USGA needs to not be so concerned about the game's top players. Let the tours handle that business. The ball is not the problem. The fact that golf takes too long and is hard to play is the problem.

• Like 3

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Make the fairways narrower closer to the green, make pulling driver more risk and reward.

Make the second cut a real punishment close to the green, some weeks it is - others not so much.

For me this weeks event on the tour shows how interesting it can be when it's not all driver and wedge.

For those of us who played Balatas it's a pleasure now to play a ball that goes somewhere and doesn't fall apart after 2 holes! But, I used to enjoy the control pros got with those balls - although I know much of that was also groove technology. Hell even I could spin the old Balatas.

• Like 4

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Make the fairways narrower closer to the green, make pulling driver more risk and reward.

Make the second cut a real punishment close to the green, some weeks it is - others not so much.

For me this weeks event on the tour shows how interesting it can be when it's not all driver and wedge.

For those of us who played Balatas it's a pleasure now to play a ball that goes somewhere and doesn't fall apart after 2 holes! But, I used to enjoy the control pros got with those balls - although I know much of that was also groove technology. Hell even I could spin the old Balatas.

Oh man the memories of the old balata balls. If you did not cut one it would go out of round after 4 or 5 holes. I still have my old roundness gauge somewhere. Believe it or not I still have some old balata balls in good shape and play them from time to time on a local par 3 course for kicks and giggles. Believe it or not sometimes I find balata balls down here during the height of the snowbird season. I found a darn near new old Titleist 90 Professional balata a few weeks ago. They have not made that ball in 25 years or so. 

Now as most on here know I still play vintage equipment some in fact my front line set of irons is considered antique by most standards but when I play strictly vintage I play even older stuff. For me I have found out that the newer Srixon Soft feels or the discontinued Bridgestone Treo Softs play almost like balata not quite but close

Driver --- TM M-6 Evenflow 5.5 R 45 gr--- 4W Adams Tight Lies 16* Bassara 55g R flex-- 5W Adams Tight Lies 19* Bassara 55g R Flex--- Irons 5 thru PW Taylor Made TP CB ( 2018)  Steelfiber I 95 R Flex--- GW Callaway X Jaws CC 52* stock steel shaft--- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400--- Putter Scotty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft "Rusty" Bag Old School Jones Classic 

Gotta say, I don't think golf is broken by equipment improvements, but I do think there's something to be said for the old days.  Like you said, other pro sports tweak rules to improve the spectators' experience.  Why not golf?  

More importantly, it is NOT unprecedented to have pros play with different equipment than amateurs.  Imagine Bryce Harper with an aluminum bat??

Here's my idea:  have a PGA event (ok, maybe an exhibition with PGA players) and have them all play a 1980's (or pick your decade) spec ball.  One step further, have them all play the SAME 80's spec ball with the SAME equipment!

Anyway, wouldn't it be cool if the courses on tour didn't have to keep building new tee boxes??  I mean, what's the difference on tv between a 250 yd drive and a 330 yd drive?

Taylor Made M3 driver

Callaway Rogue 3+ fairway

Srixon 565 4, 6-A

Titleist H1 4 and 6 hybrids

Vokey 54 and 58

Thanks Revkev - It's good to know that golf is truly a professional sport compared to others and the USGA holds the integrity of the game when it comes to the rules. And I agree with you 100% on slow play. It's one of the biggest and most painful issues right now. I played 18 holes yesterday at a public course outside of Chicago and it turned into a 6 hour round. It was a 75 degree day without a cloud in the sky but that's no excuse for the slow play. When you play that slow it ruins the entire day and your round. I can't even explain how mad I was yesterday.

It also allowed for 2 extra hours in the sun and now my face looks like a tomato.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It's all about the money.  It's the same as NASCAR; different equipment but they all have to meet the same specs.  The idea is that the driver makes the difference and wins, just like the tournament winner.  If everyone played the same ball and clubs, there would be few sponsorships and little money, a lot of which goes to charities.

While I think it would be cool to watch an event like that, I don't think the pros would like it at all. Look how long it took Rory to change over to Nike.  Pros are very particular about their equipment.  Courses and the PGA can throttle back distances by how they set their courses up. Look at how the USGA sets up their events.  At certain events they choose to make it easy because spectators love big drives and lots of birdies; again, makes money.  

The difference on tv between a 250 yard drive and a 330 yard drive?  That would be Luke Donald hitting a 7i and Jason Day hitting a lob wedge for their approach.  I know which one I would like to hit.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am not on speaking terms with Jack either...oh you meant the golfer?

I also don't get along with that Jack.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

I think a "tour spec" ball with reduced distance can work. Even if it is only to keep golf courses in check. Otherwise they will only keep lengthening the courses as far as possible. 

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with the golf balls today. Sure they might go further and spin better, etc. than a ball from Jack's era, but every single player is using a ball (and clubs) that conforms within the same set of rules that apply to every other player on tour. The only issue I can see is that you cannot properly compare players from 30-40 years ago (Jack, Gary Player, Greg Norman) with the current crop (Jordan, Day & Rory), due to the different clubs and balls, etc.

• Like 1

Driver (main): Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

Driver (back-up): Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: PING i200 4-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex (+ 3 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star ZV & Taylormade TP5X

To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with the golf balls today. Sure they might go further and spin better, etc. than a ball from Jack's era, but every single player is using a ball (and clubs) that conforms within the same set of rules that apply to every other player on tour. The only issue I can see is that you cannot properly compare players from 30-40 years ago (Jack, Gary Player, Greg Norman) with the current crop (Jordan, Day & Rory), due to the different clubs and balls, etc.

That's an easy comparison Jack and Player won grand slams while Norman won fewer majors than Larry Nelson. :)

Seriously it is what it is and your point is well taken. So long as everyone is playing by the same rules. Mom and so long as those rules don't interfer with the enjoyment of the rank and file golfer. The anchored putter ban is a prime example of the latter and rolling back the ball would be worse.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

• 2 months later...

I think it would make things more interesting on the Tour if the players were coming in to the greens with 3 or 4 irons on long par 4s instead of 9 irons and PWs. The ball could be left alone for amateur golfers.

The way things are going many golf courses are really nothing but pitch and putt courses for Tour pros with the modern ball and Modern equipment.

I remember it all starting when John Daly destroyed the immature course at Crooked stick.

Golf courses will keep getting longer and longer which then plays into the hands of the big hitters even more so.

It just shows how skillful  the ball strikers of yesteryear really were when you look at some of the scores they made and the shots they took on.

We have guys today who have won majors that cannot even consistently work a ball left and right and can not hold a candle to the skill of working a ball as the Golfers like Jack or Hogan or Trevino, Chi Chi rodriguez , Floyd etc 

Golf is still a great game to watch  but I feel there are a few guys on many courses on tour that take the dangers out of play off the tee and a wayward shot is not punishing them as it should.

Jack was a stickler in his course design that you should have to play 3 good shots to get a par on a par 3 or 4 on a par 4 etc. you had to play a great shot to get a birdie.

Nowadays a Tour golfer can hit his tee shot wayward and still get a birdie due to the modern clubs and balls taking the serious dangers out of play and the many courses cannot be changed too much as there is not enough real estate to lengthen them any more.

Whatever will be will be but either way golf will still be a great game to watch and play.

• Like 1

I'm confused. I know the pros are great. But I watch them play bad all the time. Whether it's a high score round or as minor as hitting in the woods a few times off the tee. So, why does anyone need to change anything. If they start hitting every fairway and making every putt and they all shoot 50's and 60's. Then we can contemplate changes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm confused. I know the pros are great. But I watch them play bad all the time. Whether it's a high score round or as minor as hitting in the woods a few times off the tee. So, why does anyone need to change anything. If they start hitting every fairway and making every putt and they all shoot 50's and 60's. Then we can contemplate changes.

True, but I think you are confusing distance with scoring, which are not mutually exclusive to any level of golfer. True enough, greater distance is desirable but if you cannot convert that into a low score, then any perceived advantage is lost. The humble ball and its part in this hasn't really changed much in over 100 years - the old drive for show and putt for dough saying still holds true.

Where Jack and his call for restricting the distance of the golf ball falls short is how that accounts for scoring in real terms - everyone would love a so-called "distance" ball off the tee and a soft high spin ball around the greens, but the stats simply don't stack up in favour of a ball that has a distance advantage of any kind.

Conversely, players with enough talent to take advantage of the receptive qualities of a ball (Jack included) have a distinct advantage over anyone else and any ball they might choose to adopt. So to make a blanket judgement on the ball and how it has gone too far (pun intended) is plain wrong. You either have the talent to control a ball or you don't - the rough and the trees are full enough of lost balls as it stands from players who think distance has an advantage.

True, but I think you are confusing distance with scoring, which are not mutually exclusive to any level of golfer. True enough, greater distance is desirable but if you cannot convert that into a low score, then any perceived advantage is lost. The humble ball and its part in this hasn't really changed much in over 100 years - the old drive for show and putt for dough saying still holds true.

Where Jack and his call for restricting the distance of the golf ball falls short is how that accounts for scoring in real terms - everyone would love a so-called "distance" ball off the tee and a soft high spin ball around the greens, but the stats simply don't stack up in favour of a ball that has a distance advantage of any kind.

Conversely, players with enough talent to take advantage of the receptive qualities of a ball (Jack included) have a distinct advantage over anyone else and any ball they might choose to adopt. So to make a blanket judgement on the ball and how it has gone too far (pun intended) is plain wrong. You either have the talent to control a ball or you don't - the rough and the trees are full enough of lost balls as it stands from players who think distance has an advantage.

Ok. So, still a little confused. Aren't we talking about dialing the golf ball down so players can't hit it so far and "potentially" score lower. We'll, like the other sports, it's what the fans want to see. Until golfers start hitting each other in the back of the head while they're waiting in the fairway for their next shot. They won't change the ball for less distance.

• SPY VIP

I'm still trying to figure out how a different ball that doesn't fly as far isn't still an advantage for longer players - Won't they still be longer relative to the other players? Personally, I'd prefer to see more courses like Merion rather than trying to reign in technology to get certain results

• Like 3

Ok. So, still a little confused. Aren't we talking about dialing the golf ball down so players can't hit it so far and "potentially" score lower. We'll, like the other sports, it's what the fans want to see. Until golfers start hitting each other in the back of the head while they're waiting in the fairway for their next shot. They won't change the ball for less distance.

Like I said - is there any correlation between distance and scoring? "Potentially" it's possible to shoot lower scores with shorter clubs to the green, but as we have already established there is no direct relationship with the ball and scores. And as we've already established too, "dialling down" the ball only serves to help those who can already hit the ball further anyway.